Craptacular
College Starter

Diet doctor dead

Diet guru Dr. Robert Atkins dead at 72

Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2003, 11:36 AM   #2
Butter
Coordinator

In lieu of a coffin, he will be buried in a scrumptious netting of fat.
Old 04-17-2003, 01:20 PM   #3
Kodos
Resident Alien

I'm pretty sure he would want us to eat him so he could help us lose a few more pounds in his name.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2003, 01:28 PM   #4
Jets80
High School Varsity

72 is not "that" old. He should have eaten more veggies and carbs
Jets80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2003, 01:29 PM   #5
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Mmm....carbs.

Any diet where you cannot eat pasta and bread sucks.

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2003, 01:30 PM   #6
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Jets80
He should have eaten more veggies and carbs

Does that keep you from falling on an icy sidewalk? Hadn't seen that study...

Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2003, 01:31 PM   #7
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally posted by Marmel
Mmm....carbs.

Any diet where you cannot eat pasta and bread sucks.

Then I guess this diet doesn't suck. I have eaten both while on this diet. And have now lost 39 pounds.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2003, 01:34 PM   #8
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by Bee
Does that keep you from falling on an icy sidewalk? Hadn't seen that study...
If he had been fatter, he would have just bounced back up.
Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2003, 01:37 PM   #9
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

I am suspicious of anybody who claims they can help you lose weight through a 'diet'. Now, I don't know much about the adkins diet, but...........

I thought it was common knowledge, that a balanced diet, with no excess and no binging, coupled with routine excersice is the only heathly way to lose weight and stay fit.

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2003, 01:44 PM   #10
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally posted by Marmel I am suspicious of anybody who claims they can help you lose weight through a 'diet'. Now, I don't know much about the adkins diet, but...........

I thought it was common knowledge, that a balanced diet, with no excess and no binging, coupled with routine excersice is the only heathly way to lose weight and stay fit.

All eating is a "diet," Marm. Atkin's just says what we have been told is "balanced" is not very balanced at all.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2003, 01:46 PM   #11
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by Marmel
The people who want to sell you diet books claim that diet is the way to go. People who want to sell you exercise equipment and health club memberships say that diets are crap, it's the exercise you need. And the independent experts, as far as I can tell, say that nothing a normal person would do is ever healthy, and we should all spend our days counting how many mg of riboflavin we consume and waiting to die.
Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2003, 02:10 PM   #12
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Actually, Atkins is not a "diet." At least, that's what he's been trying to say, without anyone listening, just putting the spin on it they want it to have. It's a way of life. I think back in the 60's he was throwing the term "diet" around loosely (as did/does everyone else), but he's never meant for it to be a "weight loss only" method. He's lived that way for the past 30+ years - that's hardly a "diet."

Once I lose the weight I want to lose, I plan to eat a "modified normal" diet - pasta once every couple of weeks, low-carb bread, very little starch (rice, potatoes). I don't see what's wrong (or unhealthy) about that. The low-carb bread/tortillas I eat are actually typical health food stuff, not high fat, "low carb" food.

Like I said in another thread, I'm going to be getting a full physical in the next couple of months, and will post the results - good or bad - here. If the Doc's advice is to stay far away from it, I'll take that into consideration, if the results back up the recommendation. So far, my mom and dad have been doing this for 3+ years, and both have lowered their cholesterol and have doctors who not only think it works, but my mom's Doc is on the diet herself! And they did not go seeking Atkins doctors, it's just how it worked out.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote