Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-28-2010, 06:43 PM   #1
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Players your local announcers try to shove down your throat...

Here in St. Louis it is Brendan Ryan. He is batting .221, his OPS is .585, Tony LaRussa gets no grief about the pitcher batting eighth because he is that poor of a hitter. Somehow though because he fields a little better than average they act like he is Ozzie Smith and an actual difference maker on this team. He is slurped on at least once a game with some games devoting whole innings to how great he is. (The best two were the explanations after an 0-5 night with like 5 runners left on base why he is so crucial and the time he grounded into an error by the second baseman which won the game and he was carried off the field like a hero) Come to think of it they used to do the same thing with David Eckstein a few years ago. Is the shortstop/useless hitter an announcer staple in other cities also?

Memo to Cardinals: Nights that Pujols and Holliday hit well and Carpenter, Wainwright, and Garcia pitch well we win. Ryan really doesn't play a role in that equation.

Last edited by panerd : 08-28-2010 at 06:46 PM.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 07:40 PM   #2
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I dunno about players. But John Wehner wants to have buttsex with the RBI. That and pitcher/batter matchups.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 07:45 PM   #3
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

Used to be Willie Bloomquist until he moved on to KC
HeavyReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 09:25 PM   #4
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Be thankful LaRussa doesn't bat him leadoff.
Old 08-28-2010, 09:40 PM   #5
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I'm paraphrasing here. "Prince Fielder has only averaged 1RBI per 15.5 at bats vs lefties".
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 09:49 PM   #6
RainMaker
General Manager

It's the Chicago Bears coaching staff. How great Marinelli is working with the defense. How great Mike Tice is with the offensive line. How creative Mike Martz is.

All these things suck on the Bears.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 01:40 AM   #8
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
It's the Chicago Bears coaching staff. How great Marinelli is working with the defense. How great Mike Tice is with the offensive line. How creative Mike Martz is.

All these things suck on the Bears.

Well look on the bright side, at least tonight your quarterback that you guys traded 2 first round picks for out-performed the quarterback that couldn't hack it in Cleveland.

Oh wait...
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 02:13 AM   #9
RainMaker
General Manager

I don't even blame him. They have a horrible offensive line and not a single quality NFL WR. This organization believes that if you throw a QB out there, he doesn't need any support at all.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 10:12 AM   #10
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I don't even blame him. They have a horrible offensive line and not a single quality NFL WR. This organization believes that if you throw a QB out there, he doesn't need any support at all.

Hey, so do the fans. I couldn't believe what I heard on talk radio the day they traded for Cutler -- stuff like "I'm happier today then I would be if I won a Super Bowl" and crap like that.
Passacaglia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 11:50 AM   #11
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
Here in St. Louis it is Brendan Ryan. He is batting .221, his OPS is .585, Tony LaRussa gets no grief about the pitcher batting eighth because he is that poor of a hitter. Somehow though because he fields a little better than average they act like he is Ozzie Smith and an actual difference maker on this team. He is slurped on at least once a game with some games devoting whole innings to how great he is. (The best two were the explanations after an 0-5 night with like 5 runners left on base why he is so crucial and the time he grounded into an error by the second baseman which won the game and he was carried off the field like a hero) Come to think of it they used to do the same thing with David Eckstein a few years ago. Is the shortstop/useless hitter an announcer staple in other cities also?

Memo to Cardinals: Nights that Pujols and Holliday hit well and Carpenter, Wainwright, and Garcia pitch well we win. Ryan really doesn't play a role in that equation.

So true.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 06:28 PM   #12
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Err... I read this thread totally wrong. Whew I was beginning to think you guys took a turn.
Old 08-29-2010, 10:06 PM   #13
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyReign View Post
Used to be Willie Bloomquist until he moved on to KC
In KC lately, it's been Willie Bloomquist.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 06:21 AM   #14
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19 View Post
In KC lately, it's been Willie Bloomquist.

You stole it right out from under me.

Him, the RR running gag about Yuni and his plus hands, and Kendall with his veteran leadership and "runs well for a catcher". Those are the 3 we get crammed down our throat

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 06:26 AM   #15
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Cincy has always had a love affair for the scrappy white guy from Pete Rose to Chris Sabo to Ryan Freel. Play hard and have some sort of social disfunction and you'll be in the hearts of Reds fans forever.

My bigger problem is how Marty Breneman's hate of Adam Dunn led to sending away one of the top ten bats in the NL for peanuts. Dunn never was scrappy enough for Brenneman and his on air comments led to a large portion of the fan base hating Dunn. He never had the scrappiness Cincy wants from it's white guys, and his 380 obp and 40 HRs weren't enough.

I still wish we had his bat in LF.
Old 08-30-2010, 09:39 AM   #16
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Imagine the Reds this season with Dunn's bat instead of Gomes' in the lineup. That'd be very scary in the NL.
Old 08-30-2010, 09:42 AM   #17
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Imagine the Reds this season with Dunn's bat instead of Gomes' in the lineup. That'd be very scary in the NL.

Yep, and the fielding would be a wash since Gomes is at least as bad as Dunn. Some combination of Votto, Dunn and Rolen in the middle of the lineup would be very nice.
Old 08-30-2010, 09:58 AM   #18
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiRevival View Post
John Lannan.
john lannan is an American hero! a shitty pitcher.. but an American hero!

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 10:05 AM   #19
molson
General Manager

Going back in time (haven't lived in MA for a while), but I remember Celtics announcer Mike Gorman being obsessed with the oddest players (Blue Edwards, Alaa Abdelnaby)
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 10:32 AM   #20
TroyF
Coordinator

The title of this thread could be "Any backup QB or goalie, any utility IF who hits over .210, any intangibles white guy in the NBA, and any athlete with a famous parent."

I think that'd probably cover about 95% of the guys who will end up on this list.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 10:42 AM   #21
JediKooter
Coordinator

John Madden: "Brett Favre!"

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote