Go Reds

Don't Drink And Drive

Not For The Easy Quesy

korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 10:03 PM   #2
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

fucked up.

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 10:32 PM   #3
Craptacular
College Starter

It's sad that it takes stuff like this to make someone think twice about drinking and driving. I hope her story helps keep these assholes off the road. Too bad the penalties for drunk driving aren't severe enough to really discourage it.
Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 10:42 PM   #4
tucker342
Pro Starter

holy shit... that's really sad
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 11:04 PM   #5
Cowtown
n00b

She has been on TV several times speaking out against DWI.
Old 04-16-2003, 11:09 PM   #6
sabotai
General Manager

That's totally fucked up...not kidding when I say my jaw hit the ground when I saw the "after" picture...that's fuckin horrible.

Anyone who drinks and drive should bemade to go through what she looks liek she's been through. Just horrible.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2003, 02:07 AM   #7
JeeberD
General Manager

Yeah, I've seen one of her ads. Very sobering stuff (no pun intended)...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2003, 07:58 AM   #8
AgPete
College Prospect

So don't drink and drive or you'll make someone really, really ugly?
AgPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2003, 08:36 AM   #9
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I've seen that before, I'm glad lunch is a few hours away!

Todd
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2003, 08:55 AM   #10
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by AgPete
So don't drink and drive or you'll make someone really, really ugly?

Are you always so insensitive?

Last edited by Schmidty : 04-17-2003 at 08:57 AM.
Schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2003, 09:58 AM   #11
Philliesfan980
Banned

"Anyone who drinks and drive should bemade to go through what she looks liek she's been through. Just horrible."

The problem is alot of drunks are selfish assholes anyway, so they wouldn't really care about what happens to the other person in the accident. I'm still sick to my stomach after seeing the "after" pictures of that poor girl. I think that each of the girl's family members should get to have 5 minutes each with that person who caused this to beat the shit out of them. The drunk would still come out of all of that with less damage than the girl.
Philliesfan980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2003, 10:07 AM   #12
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
relative to what else we allow, I don't have a problem with drinking and driving.
Old 04-17-2003, 10:07 AM   #13
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
Originally posted by Philliesfan980
"Anyone who drinks and drive should bemade to go through what she looks liek she's been through. Just horrible."

The problem is alot of drunks are selfish assholes anyway, so they wouldn't really care about what happens to the other person in the accident. I'm still sick to my stomach after seeing the "after" pictures of that poor girl. I think that each of the girl's family members should get to have 5 minutes each with that person who caused this to beat the shit out of them. The drunk would still come out of all of that with less damage than the girl.

It's not "drunks" that are the only problem. Even casual drinkers drive when they shouldn't. In fact, because they don't drink as often, they may be more impared then they realize. It took something similar to this to make me decide to never drive after I had been drinking. If it keeps even one person from getting behind the wheel when they shouldn't, then it's worth it.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2003, 10:13 AM   #14
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Here is a story about Jacqui...it's long but very moving.

http://www.statesman.com/specialrepo.../jacqui/<br />

Here is a site where you can find out what Jacqui is doing now, and you can help out if you so choose.

http://www.helpjacqui.com/home.htm

Last edited by sachmo71 : 04-17-2003 at 10:14 AM.
Old 04-17-2003, 10:18 AM   #15
Anrhydeddu
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
It's not "drunks" that are the only problem. Even casual drinkers drive when they shouldn't. In fact, because they don't drink as often, they may be more impared then they realize. It took something similar to this to make me decide to never drive after I had been drinking. If it keeps even one person from getting behind the wheel when they shouldn't, then it's worth it.

I agree completely. If I am driving, I will not even touch alcohol.
Anrhydeddu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2003, 10:21 AM   #16
Anrhydeddu
Resident Curmudgeon

You tell that to her, Fritz.
Old 04-17-2003, 10:52 AM   #17
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

just the other afternoon, some jackass here in town got drunk, got on his Harley and started riding home. in his haze, he turned onto a pedestrian-only bike path and plowed into an 8 year old girl.

she's going to be relatively ok - she had surgery already to repair some facial stuff, she's going to have a pretty decent scar on her chest, and she may lose her 2 front teeth (permanents). I'm not sure I can say the same about her father (a co-worker), who was with her at the time - he wasn't hit, but he's going to be scarred for life.
Old 04-17-2003, 10:53 AM   #18
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

dola,
as a rule, I won't drive after having one drink either.
Old 04-17-2003, 10:56 AM   #19
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
Quote:
Originally posted by Anrhydeddu
You tell that to her, Fritz.

Not a problem
Old 04-17-2003, 11:05 AM   #20
Craptacular
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Fritz
relative to what else we allow, I don't have a problem with drinking and driving.

Wow, I don't even know how to respond to that.
Old 04-17-2003, 11:05 AM   #21
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
Not a problem

I don't know if you're just trying to be funny or not, but this is kind of shitty.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2003, 11:06 AM   #22
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Quote:
Originally posted by Craptacular
Wow, I don't even know how to respond to that.

You could start by saying "you are absolutely correct."
Old 04-17-2003, 11:09 AM   #23
Philliesfan980
Banned

Fritz;

Maybe you could explain your position a little better?
Philliesfan980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2003, 11:19 AM   #24
Anrhydeddu
Resident Curmudgeon

Here's how I read that: Since there are other immoralities as well, perhaps some that are worse, than we shouldn't have any morals.
Old 04-17-2003, 11:21 AM   #25
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

If you are going to bite, don't complain when you choke on the bait.
Old 04-17-2003, 11:21 AM   #26
KWhit
Coordinator

Huh?
Old 04-17-2003, 11:22 AM   #27
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Quote:
Originally posted by Philliesfan980
Fritz;

Maybe you could explain your position a little better?

"relative to what else we allow"

Americans have NO issue with driving while impaired or with diminished capacity. Take a high blood pressure medication, a weight loss pill, or an over the counter antihistamine? Then you are (or may be) putting other people at risk when you drive. The list of commonly used medications that impair driving is quite long.

There are a host of acceptable impairments and reasons for diminished capacity that we readily accept. "Drinking and Driving" is a pop-cause bandwagon that many climb on, but these many of same people have no problem driving impaired.

So relative to our societal apathy when it comes to impaired driving or driving with diminished capacity, I have no problem with drinking and driving.
Old 04-17-2003, 11:25 AM   #28
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

just 2 hours ago, I was at the hospital - my son was having his eyes checked.

while waiting, I heard another doctor telling a patient he was glad she was getting a ride home after whatever eye procedure he had done. he said that it does impair driving, but, even so, about 90% of people drive themselves home anyway...
Old 04-17-2003, 11:26 AM   #29
cincyreds
High School Varsity

Very sad indeed.

My heart really goes out to her.

I know inside it is probably tearing her up, to look at herself.

I bet the beauty is still inside of her though.

(Speechless)
Old 04-17-2003, 11:46 AM   #30
HornsManiac

What about old friggin' senior citizens who drive 20 mph. and cannot see 20 feet in front of their car?

What about the people who cannot drive without a cigarette in one hand and a cell phone in the other?

What about the over the counter meds Fritz mentioned?

What about the guy/woman who just got through working a double shift and needs to get back home and it is over an hour away?

What about all of the kids who are driving with only days, weeks, or months of driving experience?

What about the cops who drive 90 mph. with their lights flashing so that they can hurry up and get to a friggin' Dunkin Donuts faster?

Drinking and driving is only one of MANY dangerous things people can do behind the wheel of a car. However, it generally catches the hell only because it is more publicized.

HornsManiac
Old 04-17-2003, 11:48 AM   #31
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

egad. Horns and I are on a similar side...
Old 04-17-2003, 11:49 AM   #32
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Exactly, guys. Drinking and driving is no more dangerous than getting behind the wheel after taking a Claratin. Or than following behind a 90 year old who can't see. I might even agree with the Cop-donut analogy, but sometimes they are responding to real calls, so I'll throw that one out.

No, drinking and driving is only bad because it's more publicized.

Last edited by sachmo71 : 04-17-2003 at 11:50 AM.
Old 04-17-2003, 11:50 AM   #33
KWhit
Coordinator

Ummm... That still doesn't make drinking and driving okay, HM and Fritz.
Old 04-17-2003, 11:51 AM   #34
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by sachmo71
Exactly, guys. Drinking and driving is no more dangerous than getting behind the wheel after taking a Claratin.

Are you joking?
Old 04-17-2003, 11:54 AM   #35
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Quote:
Originally posted by KWhit
Ummm... That still doesn't make drinking and driving okay, HM and Fritz.

Why should we care about drinking and driving any more or less than we care about other sources of impairment?
Old 04-17-2003, 11:54 AM   #36
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Quote:
Originally posted by KWhit
Are you joking?

http://my.webmd.com/content/article/...tselectedguid={5FE84E90-BC77-4056-A91C-9531713CA348}

(you need to C&P that link)

Vital Information:

A new study shows that taking common, over-the-counter antihistamines that contain diphenhydramine, such as Benadryl, can impair a person's ability to drive, even more so than being legally drunk.

There are other antihistamines that do not cause drowsiness, but these are more expensive and are available by prescription only.

Participants in the study were not able to evaluate their own level of drowsiness, so it is important for consumers to read and follow medication labels.

Last edited by Fritz : 04-17-2003 at 11:55 AM.
Fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2003, 11:57 AM   #37
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Without any statistics whatsoever, maybe Drinking and driving cause more accidents than Claritin and driving?

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2003, 12:02 PM   #38
KWhit
Coordinator

I would like to see the numbers of people killed via drinking and driving versus those killed by drinking and claritin-taking.

To me it's not about comparing the impairment of taking an antihistamine to someone who is "legally drunk". IMO, the threshold for legally drunk is way too low.

But, there are people out there who drink 15-20 drinks and then try to drive home. I think that impairs people a bit more than a Claritin.
Old 04-17-2003, 12:02 PM   #39
HornedFrog Purple
Hattrick Moderator

Exiting stage right from the meat of this discussion, if you do happen to believe a police or emergency vehicle is recklessly endangering via driving you are within your rights to report them to their respective office.

Your identity will remain anonymous. This may not apply to all local areas, but it does here.

Just a FYI.

Last edited by HornedFrog Purple : 04-17-2003 at 12:03 PM.
HornedFrog Purple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2003, 12:06 PM   #40
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
The list of commonly used medications that impair driving is quite long.
Let's not forget (according to the prevailing attitude) that while drinking and driving is terrible and reckless, driving after using drugs is just peachy, even kind of cool.

Last edited by Maple Leafs : 04-17-2003 at 12:10 PM.
Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2003, 12:13 PM   #41
Anrhydeddu
Resident Curmudgeon

You are missing the point. When a tragedy happens to oneself or to a loved one, that becomes the focus of attention - as it should. It is hard for anyone to relate to a tragedy if they are not emotionally attached. If you are maimed or lost a loved due to drunk drivers (and there are many), I absolutely appaud those that will take the time and effort (and courage) to speak out against that. In her case, because of her courage, do you think it might make a difference in at least one person's life? The same thing can be said for losing a loved one to a form of cancer. Because of the close connection to this form of tragedy, they would perhaps be involved with others that are going through the same thing or have donations made to the Cancer Society. The list goes on and on.

If one person speaks up about one thing, perhaps it can make a difference for the better. If a thousand people can speak up about a thousand things (as oppose to apathy), then more of a difference can be made.

This is all about changing things for the better. How can you (generically-speaking) be arrogant and selfish enough to say to any one person that what they had gone through is not important? It may not be to you but the effort to change someone's behavior for the better (i.e., preventing further tragdies) can only be encouraged.
Old 04-17-2003, 12:14 PM   #42
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

http://www.fda.gov/ohrms/dockets/dockets/00n1256/ch00052.pdf

"These estimates are based on studies that tested for sedating antihistamines in the blood of drivers involved in fatal accidents. Since 1992, when Claritin was introduced in the United
States, nearly 5,000 people have died in wrecks caused by sedating antihistamines, USA TODAY estimates."

"European researchers have done more than 50 studies that use real-world driving tests to compare the effects of antihistamines and alcohol. They found that a single dose of Benadryl is equivalent to a blood-alcohol content of .09-- higher than the .08 level that makes a driver legally drunk in many states. In March, a study in the Annals ofhternal Medicine used computerized driving simulators to confirm that driving under the influence of Benadryl is similar to driving drunk."

"It is illegal to drive under the influence of sedating antihistamines in 35 states, though prosecutions are rare."

"The results are especially worrisome, researchers say, because studies show that people don’t realize that they are affected and that impairment can last a full day after taking a sedating antihistamine. “People don’t feel sedated, so they don’t take precautions seriously,” says Kay, the Georgetown psychologist. “But they’re no better judges of impairment than a drunk is of drunkenness.”

Sedating antihistamines are the drug found most often in the blood of pilots killed in private plane crashes. The National Transportation Safety Board reports that sedating antihistamines have been found in the blood of more than 100 pilots involved in fatal plane crashes since 1987.

In a typical case, the NTSB explained a 1996 crash that killed two in Utah this way: “Probable cause: the pilot’s impairment of judgment and performance due to drugs (diphenhydramine) which led to spatiaI disorientation and loss of aircrafl control. ”
Old 04-17-2003, 12:19 PM   #43
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Thinking out loud, but without facts or figures:

We don't know the impact of many other sources of impariment, because we don't test for them. The few studies I have read that cite something like Claritin as a contributer to a fataility always seem to be found during autopsy. In other words, it is only found when the user dies.

Last edited by Fritz : 04-17-2003 at 12:26 PM.
Fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2003, 12:24 PM   #44
Craptacular
College Starter

I have a problem with people driving under the influence of alcohol, drugs, insomnia, whatever. I also have a problem with someone saying the driving drunk is OK because our society doesn't focus on other impairments as much.
Old 04-17-2003, 12:26 PM   #45
ctmason
High School JV

Although I'm very sensitive to the public education efforts against drunk driving, Fritz and Horns bring up good points.

Drunk driving causes a LOT of accidents, and a LOT of fatalities every year. The same goes for other forms of "influence" when driving. These include medications, distractions and lack of sleep.

What needs to happen, is that ALL forms of influence are penalized. Driving Under the Influence should apply to those who drive knowingly under medications that impair their judgement or motor functions (i.e. drowsiness), alcohol, narcotics, handheld cell phones (my opinion here), etc.

I don't know how many people drive while they're sleepy, or drive after taking a Zyrtec or some such. I've done both, and it was a stupid, stupid, dangerous thing to do.

I don't know how many people cause accidents because they're sleepy, but I'd be willing to bet that more people have died in drunk driving related accidents that because people were drowsy from medications. Just my guess, could be wrong.

Rather than saying we don't have a problem with drunk driving, or blasting it as "pop culture," why not use the publicity wagon to inform and educate others on the very serious risks of other forms of DUI?

Just a thought.
ctmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2003, 12:32 PM   #46
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:

I'm sure that when she learns she doesn't have the Fritz vote, she'll be all broken up.
Old 04-17-2003, 12:39 PM   #47
korme
Go Reds

Thumbs up

Quote:
I have a problem with people driving under the influence of alcohol, drugs, insomnia, whatever. I also have a problem with someone saying the driving drunk is OK because our society doesn't focus on other impairments as much.

Well said!
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2003, 12:45 PM   #48
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Quote:
Originally posted by Butter_of_69
I'm sure that when she learns she doesn't have the Fritz vote, she'll be all broken up.

vote on what? I haven't said anything abot the girl.
Old 04-17-2003, 12:46 PM   #49
HornedFrog Purple
Hattrick Moderator

Although I have no empirical evidence other than my memory from dealing with situations such as these on practically a daily basis, from my experience drunk drivers end up maiming themselves more than what is usually reported.

Accidents from drunk drivers are I would say more brutal than some of the other instances. I usually remember them a lot longer than other incidents for whatever reason. This does not make other incidents any less tragic. However being distracted, doped up through whatever means or just being in a hurry adds up to a lot of needless accidents.
Old 04-17-2003, 12:48 PM   #50
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:

Rather than post a way too long response to all of this (as the attorney in me is compelled to do), I'll bite my tongue and just say - "What he said."

The way to solve a problem is to excuse similar problems that get more attention. Great thinking.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote