Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-16-2003, 03:02 PM   #1
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Hattrick, I quit

Thanks for all the early advice, but the game is just too unfamiliar for me. The help guides don't provide the information I seek, and I found I don't have the patience to learn it.

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."

Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 03:11 PM   #2
JeeberD
General Manager

Same here. I tried for a week or so, but it just didn't take...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 03:11 PM   #3
Calis
College Starter

Hmm, you know you can't just QUIT Hattrick, it's like the Mob.

That's too bad though, I've found that I haven't reached obsession stage with it, but I enjoy looking it over once or twice a week, which I think shows with the way my team plays.

Maybe you plunged in too fast? It seems like you can really spend as much or as little time with it as you want, I'm going for the latter, and I'm enjoying it.

I could definitely see how someone could not get into as well, as I've shown it to some friends, and got some negative feedback.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 03:12 PM   #4
bbor
Pro Starter

Asshat

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 03:12 PM   #5
Butter
Coordinator

Ditto what Marmel said. The help on the site is totally not helpful.
Old 04-16-2003, 03:13 PM   #6
Bee
Pro Starter

I give myself 2 weeks before I quit playing...maybe 3 if I have success.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 03:22 PM   #7
n00b

I usually give myself about 15 seconds before I have to relinquish control of the team that I only desire in real-life form.

It's scary.
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 03:23 PM   #8
couriers

I just signed up on Saturday and received my team in less than 24 hours. Unfortunately, it just couldn't keep my interest well enough to cause me to log on more than a hand full of times. It occurred to me rather quickly why the game was free of charge. The depth was completely lacking as well as the help unless you are willing to read and read and read and read. So now I am done with Hattrick and just bought OOTP5 last night. So far it is holding my interest better as I find myself continually thinking about what to do the next time I load it up. It may be too early to tell but so far so good, which is more than I can say about Hattrick, personally speaking of course.
Old 04-16-2003, 03:30 PM   #9
dacman
College Benchwarmer

I think it was 3-4 WEEKS before I felt like I knew what was going on so it does take a while and the lack of pace can be less than satisfying, but damn, I just can't stop.
Old 04-16-2003, 04:17 PM   #10
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Guys, you aren't going to get totally into Hattrick in a day or so.
vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 04:20 PM   #11
McSweeny
College Starter

yep for the first couple weeks i really had no idea what i was doing and racked up a huge debt... of course now i'm totally addicted and have a great time
McSweeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 04:21 PM   #12
AccardoOutfit29
H.S. Freshman Team

Just want to tell the guys who quit you might want to try it again. I tried once before a year ago or so but eventually got bored with it. I figured then that I would try the game again earlier this year and now I have gotten hooked.
Old 04-16-2003, 04:22 PM   #13
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Yeah, I trtied it last summer, NEVER got into it. Tried it again late December, and now I'm hooked.
vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 04:31 PM   #14
Craptacular
College Starter

Turn around, walk away, and don't ever look back.
Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 04:35 PM   #15
couriers

Quote:
Originally posted by vexroid
Guys, you aren't going to get totally into Hattrick in a day or so.

I couldn't get into it at all. There was nothing there to interest me in the least. Too many other good games out right now to waste any more time than I already have. It's just not my type of game.
Old 04-16-2003, 04:47 PM   #16
heybrad
Norm!!!

Same here. Tried it. Got bored.
heybrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 05:02 PM   #17
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
lobsterboy has no stamina
Old 04-16-2003, 05:10 PM   #18
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

I would highly recommend trying it again guys. It will be worth the shot. Just ask questions.
Old 04-16-2003, 05:59 PM   #19
johnnyveigns
n00b

Guys when I joined HT I knew absolutely NOTHING about soccer with the exception that you kicked a ball up and down a field and tried to put it in a net. I had no clue about stragity, no clue about what positions were what or what responsabilities they had... NOTHING! I was however a good GM type person in other fantasy games and used that to help me get along. I'm with HT a little over a month now and I'm HT'd already. Did I blow a lot of $$$ in learning... YES, and STILL AM!!! Am I having tremendous fun? ABSOLUTELY!!! This forum is meant to help people and by discussing your stratagies and problems with others who have at one time or may still currently be having makes it for a great deal of fun... Trust me... I know first hand!!!

Please give it at least a month like dacman said... if you give it 100% effort in a month's time, you'll be hooked and understand where we're coming from.

Jim
Witches

PA Witches dynasty report
johnnyveigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 06:09 PM   #20
Mega
n00b

It's a game. If it isn't fun it isn't fun. You shouldn't have to force yourself to suffer through a month of it just to "get" it. And, if you have no desire to play it after 24 hours, you are probably never going to "get" it. There really are too many good games out there to suffer through one you don't like. To each his own. Just as some are entitled to think it is the greatest thing since sliced bread, others are entitled to think it is about as much fun as sliced bread.
Mega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 08:31 PM   #21
KWhit
Coordinator

I couldn't get into it either. It just never appealed to me.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 08:34 PM   #22
astralhaze
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally posted by Fritz
lobsterboy has no stamina

You would know better than any of us.
Old 04-16-2003, 08:38 PM   #23
Nyarlahotep
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by Mega
It's a game. If it isn't fun it isn't fun. You shouldn't have to force yourself to suffer through a month of it just to "get" it. And, if you have no desire to play it after 24 hours, you are probably never going to "get" it. There really are too many good games out there to suffer through one you don't like. To each his own. Just as some are entitled to think it is the greatest thing since sliced bread, others are entitled to think it is about as much fun as sliced bread.

Seems a bit strong. I would hardly call spending a combined total of four hours on a game spending a month of suffering. I'm not saying he would find it fun, but maybe if he had waited until he had played one single match before he decided it would have been more fun for him.
Nyarlahotep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 08:57 PM   #24
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Definitely to each their own. No game can be for everyone. Heck, I've actually heard of people who dislike Torment and Championship Manager. 'Tis darn near inconceivable!

The only thing I do have an argument with is the argument that it "lacks depth". It doesn't TRY to have depth. This isn't "multiplayer CM". It's a very simplistic soccer game that lets you play against other human manager and that's all it tries to be. That would be like saying that Quake 3 wasn't good because the character development aspect was under-developed.

So, yeah, I think it's nifty that people actually give it a looksie and a chance to see if they'll like it or not. And, hey, if they don't, that's why we have choices.
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 09:02 PM   #25
lytic
College Benchwarmer

sure the help files aren't all that helpful, but that's what this forum is for plus the plethora of other websites with tips.
Hattrick Moderator (since Season 22)
Evil Gargs' Hater (since Season 18)
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--
My Pro Soccer Story
lytic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 09:12 PM   #26
QuikSand
lolzcat

Marmel, here is a quick thought. In "quitting," just spend about 20 minutes to do this:

-Max out your youth team investment
-Set a solid starting lineup, and set them as your default
-Set your team to general training

And if you can think of it (or perhaps when you get a warning email) log on just once or twice a month. Don't actively do anything, but just log on.

In the event that your friends here are right, and that there's still hope to get interested in the game later... that way you will have a more developed team (with a good youth squad) waiting for you. You won't have to start over from scratch. Hell, in six months, you might have something that would interest you a lot more than it does right now.

Just a thought...
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 09:25 PM   #27
Nyarlahotep
College Benchwarmer

I would actually set some real training before setting it on autopilot.
Nyarlahotep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 10:34 PM   #28
couriers

I personally spent about 10 hours on the game and felt that that was more than enough to know whether or not I liked it. I really didn't feel like spending any more time researching and asking what I should do. As far as the depth issue, I really can't fault the game for not providing me with what I look for but since that is something that would get me to like a text base sim then for me the lack of depth is a game breaker. Not a big deal, I've moved on quite well since then with OOTP5 and GalCiv is still burning strong.
Old 04-16-2003, 10:52 PM   #29
robbgmaier
College Prospect

Marmelcutus has been assimliated. He may wonder away from the collective from time to time, but he is still of us, and always will be part of us.
robbgmaier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2003, 08:50 AM   #30
Butter
Coordinator

The menu options are a mess, and if you don't happen to be online when your game happens, it's pretty boring. The beginning help is non-existent. It is free, but it lacks depth unless you want to pay to be a member. Depth is an important facet to most games, and is a valid criticism.

If I (or Marmel, or whoever) think the game sucks, then it sucks... to me. 10 or 50 hours of playing won't help the game not to suck. You all have thousands of other players who agree with you anyway.
Old 04-17-2003, 09:36 AM   #31
Rich1033
High School Varsity

I agree that this isnt the deepest game around but I think it is very good for an online game. Once I was like you, looking around for a purpose or a goal to achieve. Could I just get a couple good players and then move up through the ranks and eventually reign as Hattrick king? Sure, thats easy. But I wanted more. I needed a bigger challenge to set in front of myself. What I decided on was the empty wallet challenge. Anyone should be able to win with $300K, but how about starting with nothing? So I quickly wasted all of my money and went into debt. Now the challenge is on, can I survive? Anyone who just has an empty feeling from Hattrick should join me, for in the future, we will rule all!

(I swear thats how and why Im in debt, would I lie to you guys? )
Rich1033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2003, 01:37 PM   #32
Kevin
High School JV

I like Hattrick but admit to being pissed off today because my orders were overridden for an international friendly that was held yesterday. On Monday I submitted my orders to use my subs and backups to get them advantage of training and experience, only to read the game report last night to see all my regular starters were used in a lop-sided loss. GRRRR!

Rant over. return to normally scheduled programming.
Old 04-17-2003, 01:59 PM   #33
MrBug708
Head Coach

More people to the darkside. I'm glad I'm still not the only one who thought Hattrick wasn't fun
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote