Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-21-2010, 10:12 AM   #1
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

Netflix Questions

Okay I know some of you use Netflix here and I was wondering about what is available to watch instantly. I have a PS3 (connected to the internet wirelessly, not sure if that is an issue) that I could connect to my Plasma but was wondering what kind of a selection there is in the watch instantly. When I browsed their site I did not see a way to show whether or not certain programs/movies are available to watch instantly. Is there a cost to connect the PS3 or Xbox360 to Netflix or is it a part of the package. I will most likely take the two week trial to check it out but was hoping to get some feedback upfront.

cubboyroy1826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 10:16 AM   #2
MikeVic
Head Coach

Netflix: Rent as many movies as you want for only $8.99 a month! Free Trial

There seems to be a one-month trial right now too.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 10:19 AM   #3
rowech
Pro Starter

No cost to do PS3 to do instant. You get free Starz with it which is kinda nice in and of itself. Most of the instant stuff is TV shows especially. The instant movies aren't a great selection...sometimes you'll find some that you want to see.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 10:22 AM   #4
DataKing
Pro Rookie

While there is plenty of material available to watch instantly through Netflix, don't expect to see a ton of hot new releases. I mostly use it for television shows, older movies, documentaries, etc. Most of the more recent release movies that you will find available on there is through their Starz Play connection. Basically, whatever movies Starz is showing at the time are also available via Neflix.

On the Netflix site go to the "Watch Instantly" tab at the upper-left corner. You can search from there like you normally would and it'll be filtered to only show what's available via watch instantly.

Not sure exactly what sort of things you're interested in, but here's a few of the things I have currently in my instant queue: MST3K episodes, documentaries (Ken Burns stuff, Michael Moore Hates America, etc), TV shows (24, X-Files, Quantum Leap, Lie to Me). There's also a decent selection of older movies available. Currently I've got ones like Bottle Shock, The Royal Tenenbaums, The Taking of Pelham 123, and Being John Malkovich queued up.

Edit: Surrogates and 2012 are currently available.

Hope that helps.
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)

Last edited by DataKing : 07-21-2010 at 10:23 AM.
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 10:40 AM   #5
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

Definitely helpful thanks. I think I will give the one month trial a whirl. I currently use Redbox a lot but would like an option to see some of the oder movies without having to go to Blockbuster.
cubboyroy1826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 11:57 AM   #7
Cuckoo
College Starter

I tried out Netflix and loved the watch instantly feature. But primarily, my interest lies in the new releases and not being able to get several big ones for weeks after release date killed the deal for me.

I'm now trying Blockbuster and am liking it much better, largely for that reason. I've been able to get the new releases the day after release day each time. That said, I will miss the ability to watch tv shows on my PS3.

Last edited by Cuckoo : 07-21-2010 at 11:58 AM.
Cuckoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 12:00 PM   #8
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

The Watch Instantly feature, in my mind, is the best thing about Netflix now - and they are constantly adding more stuff to it. But being able to watch shows and everything right away, that alone is worth $10 a month.
Old 07-21-2010, 05:22 PM   #9
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

I agree that the Watch Instantly feature is the main reason I use Netflix. That being said, I've been sort of disappointed in the lack of quality older movies available for Instant Watch. Things that aren't available on Instant Watch that I was surprised and disappointed about:

Rambo
The Godfather
Goodfellas
The Wire (TV show)

That being said, there are hundreds of movies that ARE on Instant Watch, and when I find one that isn't there, I can always have them mail it to me and watch it within a day or two.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote