Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-14-2010, 06:12 PM   #1
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Airline CEO says "People on vacation don't need luggage"

Ben Baldanza, the CEO of Spirit Airlines, told Congress that bringing luggage on vacation was "not essential" to travel and his airline was actually helping the poor fly by charging up to $45 to place a carry-on bag in the overhead bin.

Spirit Airlines CEO Defends Luggage Fees; Tells Congress Bags Are 'Not Essential' For Vacations - ABC News

SirFozzie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 06:29 PM   #2
Anthony
Banned

people on vacation don't need to fly.

wow, this is easy. saving lot of money already!
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 06:30 PM   #3
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Ben Baldanza, the CEO of Spirit Airlines, told Congress that bringing luggage on vacation was "not essential" to travel and his airline was actually helping the poor fly by charging up to $45 to place a carry-on bag in the overhead bin.

Spirit Airlines CEO Defends Luggage Fees; Tells Congress Bags Are 'Not Essential' For Vacations - ABC News
Did he actually say that bringing luggage on vacation is not essential? The only relate quote I found in the article was this:

"Carrying more than one bag is not necessary for all travelers and we believe it is unfair to charge those customers for extra services they do not use -- indeed, it is the basis for Spirit's policy to unbundle services not essential to passenger transport," he added.

The only issue I have with the growing trend in airline fees is the added work in figuring out true costs when shopping for tickets.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 06:31 PM   #4
molson
General Manager

That quote is kind of taken out of context.

If fees help smaller airlines offer more competitive fares, they're a good thing. Why should I pay as much for a ticket as someone who brings 15 bags, gets sodas and snacks on board, etc?
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 06:35 PM   #5
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I am taking an 11-day solo vacation next month and all I need will be a medium-sized carry-on.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 06:38 PM   #6
lungs
Pro Rookie

I never understand the people that find it necessary to bring their whole wardrobe on vacation.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 06:43 PM   #7
JediKooter
Coordinator

Isn't this the same mental superman that said his airline is going to charge for using the bathroom on their planes or something like that?

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 06:46 PM   #8
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Nope, that's Ryan Airlines.. whose latest great idea is eliminating seats and have people stand up the whole way over
Old 07-14-2010, 06:49 PM   #9
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Nope, that's Ryan Airlines.. whose latest great idea is eliminating seats and have people stand up the whole way over

You could certainly get more people in there if they were standing.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
Old 07-14-2010, 06:50 PM   #10
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

My issue with charging for bags is it really isn't fair for people who have kids and need to bring a lot of extra stuff.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 06:51 PM   #11
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post
You could certainly get more people in there if they were standing.

Ryanair: Low Cost Airline May Allow Passenger To Stand Up For Cheaper Fare | Business | Sky News
Old 07-14-2010, 06:53 PM   #12
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

I don't know what to say. I tend to travel light, but (for example) for my trip in a month to Alaska, I'm going to be taking one carry-on (for entertainment on the plane-2 iPods, a Kindle, my DS, ID, and maybe a small paperback) and my big suitcase (which I think is about a 27" suitcase). I don't think that's excessive for a 2-week trip. I think I'll be paying about $20 to check my 1 bag (looking at airline's website), which I'm not stoked about, but is better than $50...

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 07:06 PM   #13
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
My issue with charging for bags is it really isn't fair for people who have kids and need to bring a lot of extra stuff.

Define fair. Is it fair for those without kids to subsidize those who have them?
Old 07-14-2010, 07:09 PM   #14
miked
College Starter

What I didn't know was that these "unbundled" services the airlines charge for don't get hit with the 7.5% excise tax on airline tickets. So the airlines stand to gain a lot by selling you your ticket for $150, then an extra $150 in fees.
Old 07-14-2010, 07:10 PM   #15
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

In thinking a little more, the thing that really drives me nuts about baggage fees is that they could easily fold the nominal fee into the price of the ticket. If all the airlines did that, you'd be in the same range. And then, as airlines have always done, charge for excesses to what was assumed in the baggage fee. Right now, it's almost like the baggage fees are "hidden" fees, that you know about, but masks the real cost. Meh. I'm not stopping flying over it, but I've always flown mostly on Southwest, which (thankfully) does not have baggage fees (yet?).

/tk
Old 07-14-2010, 07:15 PM   #16
RendeR
Coordinator

If and when I manage to get to Europe for a vacation I'll take a ship both ways.

Fuck these airlines.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 07:16 PM   #17
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, it's really deceptive advertising. "Fly to Vegas for $40!*"

(* +$25 for checked baggage. $40 for selecting your seat. $20 for boarding pass, $45 for overhead luggage bin)
Old 07-14-2010, 07:16 PM   #18
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Spent a week and a half in Florida. Put everything in a carry on duffle bag.

I'm an abnormal human though.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 07:26 PM   #19
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post
If and when I manage to get to Europe for a vacation I'll take a ship both ways.

Fuck these airlines.

Just watch out for the icebergs.

Old 07-14-2010, 07:29 PM   #20
JediKooter
Coordinator

Am I the only one that thinks it's funny that it's an Irish airline and they want to put bar stools in the back of the plane? I hope they install a Guiness tap as well.

Last edited by JediKooter : 07-14-2010 at 07:29 PM.
Old 07-14-2010, 07:34 PM   #21
digamma
Torchbearer

I like things that reward efficiency.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 07:38 PM   #22
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061 View Post
Spent a week and a half in Florida. Put everything in a carry on duffle bag.

I'm an abnormal human though.

Depending on what you're doing in Florida, this is emminently reasonable. A bathing suit or 2. Shorts. T-shirts. Maybe a sweatshirt. Underwear. Mosquito netting.

Going somewhere on business, though, is a different story. I go on business travel for a week, I bring fancy clothes for the professional meetings, clothes to wear to go out in the evenings, plus sleep wear, and maybe workout wear if I know the hotel has a gym.

Or, going to a place where the weather is a little more iffy in terms of temperature, it gets trickier...

/tk
Old 07-14-2010, 07:38 PM   #23
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
Define fair. Is it fair for those without kids to subsidize those who have them?

People shouldn't have to pay extra to bring on a car seat, diaper bag, etc... and other necessities for a child.
Old 07-14-2010, 07:39 PM   #24
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

TK, will you be coming through Seattle at all for your trip?
Old 07-14-2010, 08:13 PM   #25
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
People shouldn't have to pay extra to bring on a car seat, diaper bag, etc... and other necessities for a child.
Why not?
Old 07-14-2010, 08:16 PM   #26
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

this isn't going to end well i predict
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 08:16 PM   #27
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
Why not?

I'm with dawgfan here. So again, those that do not have children should subsidize?

FWIW - I know several airlines do not charge for car seats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 08:19 PM   #28
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
TK, will you be coming through Seattle at all for your trip?

Yes, but not for long--an hour layover both ways. I actually wish I could have rigged it to stay a day or so in Seattle, it's a place that's been on my "to visit" list for quite awhile, one of the few places in the US that I want to visit but haven't (Chicago is another, oddly enough).

/tk
Old 07-14-2010, 08:19 PM   #29
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

How exactly is it subsidizing if it is a carry on?
Old 07-14-2010, 08:29 PM   #30
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
How exactly is it subsidizing if it is a carry on?
If people with children are allowed to carry on more items than those that don't and for the same amount of money, then those with children are getting more bang for their buck than those without.
Old 07-14-2010, 08:50 PM   #31
molson
General Manager

Kids cost money.

I mean, is it "fair" that you have to buy extra tickets for your kids to fly?

Last edited by molson : 07-14-2010 at 08:51 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 08:55 PM   #32
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Kids cost money.

Actually, at the age that I imagine parents end up carrying the most baggage for kids, the kids usually fly free (sitting in parents lap). Though I guess it depends on where you're going. When we took my nephew on a cruise, I felt kind of bad that my brother and sister-in-law had a separate suitcase just for diapers. And after seeing what a mess Otto can make of himself (he was 2 at the time), I realized why they brought so many extra clothes, too...

/tk
Old 07-14-2010, 08:56 PM   #33
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Kids cost money.

Children young enough for car seats on an airplane are also generally young enough not to require a ticket. If you're buying them a ticket, it's because you don't want to hold them in your lap for 2000 miles.

There's no "have to" about buying a ticket in those circumstances.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 09:05 PM   #34
Celeval
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
Children young enough for car seats on an airplane are also generally young enough not to require a ticket. If you're buying them a ticket, it's because you don't want to hold them in your lap for 2000 miles.

Or aren't comfortable safety-wise with the possibility of a kid starting to squirm during takeoff or landing.

Quote:

Agreed to a particular extent. There is certainly no additional charge for a car seat if you purchase a seat for the child, as the car seat goes into said seat and the child in that (i.e. no carry-on space used). Plus, if you're buying a seat, then the child gets his/her own carryon allowance as well.
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 09:07 PM   #35
stevew
Hall Of Famer

every kid should be free until it make noise.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 09:08 PM   #36
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
If people with children are allowed to carry on more items than those that don't and for the same amount of money, then those with children are getting more bang for their buck than those without.
Right. This is in a scenario where someone else would have to pay for a similar sized piece of luggage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 09:08 PM   #37
Celeval
Pro Starter

Quote:

For the sake of saying so, also, in many countries an unsecured infant in the lap is a safety risk and is not allowed at all (UK, Australia are two that come to mind, unless it's changed lately).
Old 07-14-2010, 09:09 PM   #38
Celeval
Pro Starter

Quote:

If the child has his/her own seat, then they have their own carryon allowance. Just because the dad is carrying six bags doesn't mean they're all his. :-D
Old 07-14-2010, 09:14 PM   #39
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celeval View Post
If the child has his/her own seat, then they have their own carryon allowance. Just because the dad is carrying six bags doesn't mean they're all his. :-D
Sure, I agree. If a family of three (parents and child) is traveling and they all have their own seats, they should get same amount of carry-ons per seat as travelers without kids. If the airline grants 2 carry-ons per passenger for free, then the family of 3 should get 6 carry-ons for free.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:22 PM   #40
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

If I travel on business I only ever take one bag - if I travel with my family then by the time my wife and daughter have packed we don't have to worry about burgulars while we're away the house is near empty
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 10:12 PM   #41
MacroGuru
Coordinator

I have been gone for over a month now...I have one bag + my back pack (Which is the Swiss Gear carry my laptops kind)....I can pack 3 to 4 weeks of clothes into this bag and it could be a carry on if I wanted it to.

Charging for carry on is a tad silly to me, even really charging for 1 bag is silly...after that it is ok, but for those who are frequent travelers and have status with ab airline, typically you don't pay any bag fees...
Old 07-14-2010, 10:31 PM   #42
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post
I'm going to be taking one carry-on (for entertainment on the plane-2 iPods, a Kindle, my DS, ID, and maybe a small paperback)

/tk

why the hell do you need 2 ipods?

why do you need a kindle and a paperback?
Old 07-14-2010, 10:32 PM   #43
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

It isn't fair? Was that really said? HAHAHAHA Seriously, feel free to call me an ass every day for the rest of my life, but that is hilarious to me.
Old 07-14-2010, 10:33 PM   #44
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lighthousekeeper View Post

She has two heads. An iPod for each, something to read for each.
Old 07-14-2010, 10:41 PM   #45
Apathetic Lurker
College Prospect

Quote:

If they bring a car seat they better be paying for an extra seat
Apathetic Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 10:43 PM   #46
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
I am taking an 11-day solo vacation next month and all I need will be a medium-sized carry-on.

But, really, who needs more than that when you're going on a nude beach holiday

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 10:44 PM   #47
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Wow- totally misleading headline, after looking at the quote.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 10:44 PM   #48
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apathetic Lurker View Post
If they bring a car seat they better be paying for an extra seat

You check it at the gate.
Old 07-15-2010, 06:55 AM   #49
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lighthousekeeper View Post

2 iPods = iPod touch for games and music and iPod classic for my full library (including many books to listen to). Also, if I end up playing iPod games, the battery on the touch is going to get drained, so really it's just in case. But really, both are getting carried on because I'm sure as hell not putting one in my checked luggage, and I do forsee using both while in Alaska (audiobooks).

Kindle and paperback...Kindle has books I'm reading, paperback is usually a crossword puzzle book. Need something non-electronic for takeoff and landing.

Also, unless the TSA balks (they don't usually but they have once or twice on me), I'll probably have either some knitting or cross-stitch in my bag.

/tk
Old 07-15-2010, 06:58 AM   #50
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I disagree with the entire premise, as it works in practice, that there is any subsidizing going on such that a single passenger or a childless couple would pay less than a family of 4 per ticket if it weren't for all of these fees. I fly mostly as a business passenger and not with my family, and I don't see any difference in the cost of flights.

Maybe on these low-cost, ala carte airlines where the base ticket is rock bottom price and you have all of these extras you can purchase this premise works better, but for the Delta, United, American, etc., flights, I just don't believe it. I don't believe that they've added all of these fees to shift the cost of flying to those who use those services, while making a corresponding drop in the base ticket price to reward those who would otherwise "subsidize" those services if free. I think those fees are extra money in their pockets, not a form of re-distribution of costs among differently-situated travelers.

And I think they know that there's no way for us to know the truth, too. If someone shows that base tickets cost more or the same now than 5 years ago, they'll just blame it on the economy or the oil spill or the price of gas or unions or whatever works. I agree in theory with the idea, but I have ZERO confidence it's playing out the way some of you seem to assume it is.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote