Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-11-2010, 10:35 AM   #1
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Football Manager iPhone - sale over ages ago

Hi,

In case anyones interested - in celebration of the World Cup final the FMH iPhone application is reduced in price today ONLY ... it'll go back to full-price tomorrow.

The price drop is from 6.99UKP to 3.99UKP in England, $9.99 to $4.99 in America ... the exact percentage drop may vary somewhat by territory/currency and I don't have a full list to hand.

Hope this helps,

Marc

Edit to thread title to avoid confusion

Last edited by Marc Vaughan : 07-20-2010 at 12:47 PM.
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 10:45 AM   #2
Bearcat729
College Benchwarmer

It's $4.99 in the US app store right now. Down from $9.99
Old 07-11-2010, 12:22 PM   #3
bhlloy
Coordinator

Sold - if my productivity drops and I get fired, I'm coming after you Vaughan
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 01:01 PM   #4
rowech
Pro Starter

Just picked it up...great price for it.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 01:58 PM   #5
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Any chance of FM for Android in the future?
vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 02:11 PM   #6
MJ4H
Coordinator

Bought.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 08:36 PM   #7
tarcone
Coordinator

Got it. And im in over my head. Fixtures? Bos ruling? Man I need to dig deeper into the manual.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 08:38 PM   #8
MJ4H
Coordinator

fixtures are scheduled matches with other teams. Substitute the word "games" for it and you'll be fine.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 09:36 PM   #9
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Bos Ruling = Bosman Ruling, its a rule whereby at the end of a contract a player can leave for another club without his current club recieving a penny in transfer fee's.
This is bad if you're the club he's leaving but great if you're obtaining a player this way.
You can open such negotiations in the last six months that a player is in his contract with a club.

PS - Ruling is named after 'Marc Bosman' who was the player who took his club to court and cause the ruling to come into effect ...
Old 07-11-2010, 09:52 PM   #10
tarcone
Coordinator

Thanks. Im real excited to get into this. It seems like the immersion factor is high.
Old 07-12-2010, 07:37 AM   #11
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Let me know how you get on with the game .... I'm always interested to hear feedback from people new to our handheld games (and FM itself ideally ).
Old 07-12-2010, 01:50 PM   #12
SegRat
High School Varsity

Just wondering if you will get offered jobs from other clubs with the iPhone FM. I haven't really sunk my teeth into it yet. Most of my time has been with the pap game. I am ten years into that game. I have taken a blue square premier all the way to the premiership. I have yet to be offered a job by any other club.
Old 07-12-2010, 02:08 PM   #13
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SegRat View Post
Just wondering if you will get offered jobs from other clubs with the iPhone FM. I haven't really sunk my teeth into it yet. Most of my time has been with the pap game. I am ten years into that game. I have taken a blue square premier all the way to the premiership. I have yet to be offered a job by any other club.

I've never been offered a job by any other club either and I'm currently in 2012 in the game. You can apply for jobs at other clubs, though.
Old 07-12-2010, 04:20 PM   #14
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by SegRat View Post

Just to confirm you CAN get offered jobs (both by National and club sides) ...
Old 07-14-2010, 07:39 PM   #15
tarcone
Coordinator

I was at club/squad page. I was using the drag and drop method. The players name would get stuck on top of another players name and the game would freeze. Had to exit out. This has happened to me twice. Once about a day before the week save. Lost lots of stuff.

Im starting to get into to it. Im learning alot of stuff. The transfer part still confuses me a bit. But Im getting close.

Great game.

Last edited by tarcone : 07-14-2010 at 07:56 PM.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:20 PM   #16
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
I was at club/squad page. I was using the drag and drop method. The players name would get stuck on top of another players name and the game would freeze. Had to exit out. This has happened to me twice. Once about a day before the week save. Lost lots of stuff.
Could you indicate what version of the game you're using and what device you're running upon (and if using iOS4 what other applications you have open).

With older devices sometimes there's a short delay before a 'drag' updates but it shouldn't ever 'freeze' - if its a continued problem I'd recommend reinstalling but be warned that will remove save games, the other alternative is to use the 'single click' selection method (instead of dragging click on the button and it'll take you to a position selection page).

Quote:
Im starting to get into to it. Im learning alot of stuff. The transfer part still confuses me a bit. But Im getting close.
If you have any specific questions fire away - one of the things I'm working on for next years version is trying to make it as newbie friendly as possible so any advice requests will be very helpful to me in explaining whats confusing to people tbh.
Old 07-20-2010, 11:17 AM   #17
rowech
Pro Starter

Is there an easier way to make substitutions? As far as I can tell I have to click on a player, then the sub. Is there no click and drag so to speak?

Also, my brother was asking...is the number of seasons unlimited?
Old 07-20-2010, 12:34 PM   #18
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

on AOTS yesterday they were talking to the actor who is in Sorcerer's Apprentice and they were talking about how he's a gamer. He says how he's like a lame gamer or something because he player FM and Eastside Hockeye Manager 05-06 (the freeware version) and how there was like only 1 ESHM made. Thought it was a pretty cool sports text sim shoutout.
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 02:09 PM   #19
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubby View Post
on AOTS yesterday they were talking to the actor who is in Sorcerer's Apprentice and they were talking about how he's a gamer. He says how he's like a lame gamer or something because he player FM and Eastside Hockeye Manager 05-06 (the freeware version) and how there was like only 1 ESHM made. Thought it was a pretty cool sports text sim shoutout.

Thats really cool - I've passed it along to Riz as well who'll be chuffed to bits to hear that
Old 07-20-2010, 02:11 PM   #20
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Rats, the sale is over.
Old 07-20-2010, 02:13 PM   #21
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan View Post
Thats really cool - I've passed it along to Riz as well who'll be chuffed to bits to hear that
Nice, Kevin kinda ripped on him for playing those games making fun of spreadsheets (implying that's all they are, it's not like he was [playing 1984 strat-o-matic board games) so you guys should send him a copy of FM to show him it's not all spreadsheets.
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 07:34 PM   #22
rowech
Pro Starter

What do blue exclamation marks mean on player?
Old 07-20-2010, 10:48 PM   #23
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post

They're unhappy about something. If you go to the player screen that begins with "Full Name/Date of Birth" and so forth you'll find a field entitled "Happiness." When they're grumpy you'll find out why in that field.

Last edited by Fonzie : 07-20-2010 at 10:53 PM.
Fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 05:15 AM   #24
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fonzie View Post
They're unhappy about something. If you go to the player screen that begins with "Full Name/Date of Birth" and so forth you'll find a field entitled "Happiness." When they're grumpy you'll find out why in that field.

Lot of unhappy players then! Thanks.
Old 07-21-2010, 08:42 AM   #25
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:

Thanks for mentioning this - its this sort of thing I'm trying to make more intuitive - as someone who's designed/played FM games for longer than I care to remember its easy to forget that not everyone will know what such things mean.
Old 07-21-2010, 08:56 AM   #26
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan View Post
Thanks for mentioning this - its this sort of thing I'm trying to make more intuitive - as someone who's designed/played FM games for longer than I care to remember its easy to forget that not everyone will know what such things mean.

I've assumed a red cross is injured, can't play. I've assumed a green cross is injured, can play, but your run risk of more sever injury. I have no clue why some players are red boxed and some are gray.
Old 07-21-2010, 09:22 AM   #27
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
I've assumed a red cross is injured, can't play. I've assumed a green cross is injured, can play, but your run risk of more sever injury. I have no clue why some players are red boxed and some are gray.

Red boxed players are unavailable due to being on loan or serving a suspension (although you should see a red card next to the red box for a suspended player). I've never seen a gray box before.
Old 07-21-2010, 11:17 AM   #28
tarcone
Coordinator

Isnt the gray box for players not active?
Old 07-21-2010, 11:20 AM   #29
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Isnt the gray box for players not active?

I wondered if that's all it was.
Old 07-21-2010, 11:29 AM   #30
tarcone
Coordinator

I went 1-2 in friendlies and lost 3-0 in my 1st league game. I was favored but got blown out.
I made lineup changes. Signed a couple guys. Train my defenders in defense, attackers in attacking.
We just cant keep the ball or get shots.
We run a 5-3-2 attack style offense. I put yes on counter attack, all others are the same as when I opened the game.
We
Old 07-21-2010, 11:51 AM   #31
rowech
Pro Starter

I finished my first season of the game and overall I like it except I have chubby fingers which makes it tough at times to get things to go where I wan them. Coached Arsenal struggling at the start in a 4-4-2 system and then switched to a 3-5-2...really got clicking taking 1st place and keeping it until around game 31. Then Van Pierse got hurt badly and the wheels came off. Put it back together and managed to finish 2nd in the league 2 points back and being eliminated in the Champions League Semis.

I like this game becaue it's not one that bogs you down as the PC version was for me. This one kinda harkens back to one-nil. (still my favorite sports sim of all-time)
Old 07-21-2010, 01:20 PM   #32
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
I finished my first season of the game and overall I like it except I have chubby fingers which makes it tough at times to get things to go where I wan them.
Can you let me know which pages you struggle most with - I have big hands myself and I'm trying my best to ensure that the game is easily playable by anyone.

(if you've having problems with dragging and dropping when selecting a team for instance just single click on the players availability button and you can select their position from a position selection page instead which might be easier?)
Old 07-21-2010, 01:26 PM   #33
rowech
Pro Starter

Sub screen is far and away the most difficult. It's also difficult when certain pages don't scroll further and you want the last thing at the bottom but that ir right above some sort of other link that makes it tough to get that piece you want.
Old 07-21-2010, 01:33 PM   #34
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Sub screen is far and away the most difficult. It's also difficult when certain pages don't scroll further and you want the last thing at the bottom but that ir right above some sort of other link that makes it tough to get that piece you want.

Another vote for the sub screen. One improvement would be to make subs by tapping on a player on the pitch rather than tapping the sub first. It's easier to tap the players on the pitch since the icons are further apart.
Old 07-21-2010, 01:54 PM   #35
DanGarion
Coordinator

I vote for a Andriod version.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 02:50 PM   #36
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post
I vote for a Andriod version.

Second.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 03:27 PM   #37
tarcone
Coordinator

I agree about the sub screen.
Wouldnt it be easier if I am switching player positions to have the players just swap. Instead they go inactive. Its a minor annoyance.
And the Home/Mail button is too small also.

Great game. My team stinks.
Old 07-21-2010, 04:34 PM   #38
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
I agree about the sub screen.
Wouldnt it be easier if I am switching player positions to have the players just swap. Instead they go inactive. Its a minor annoyance.
And the Home/Mail button is too small also.

Great game. My team stinks.

Agree with this as well. Would be much better if the players would swap instead of making one inactive.
Old 07-21-2010, 04:39 PM   #39
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubby View Post
I saw that too and thought it was funny. Believe he mentioned Football Manager 2010 a couple times.

When I first heard about the game, I didn't realize it was as big as it is. I'm still shocked that I keep running across people who play the game in my everyday life. Many of these people aren't that big of fans of soccer either.

Last edited by RainMaker : 07-21-2010 at 04:40 PM.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 03:35 PM   #40
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

At the risk of turning this into a technical support thread - has anyone else had problems with getting the correct player to take freekicks? I am frequently seeing my left back taking freekicks despite the fact that other active players are listed in the freekick screen (and he is not - and hasn't ever been).

At first I thought that perhaps I had substituted out the guys listed as freekick takers and this guy was chosen by the AI, but most of the time that's not the case. I'm stumped. Fortunately this guy isn't terrible at freekicks (rated 14 at crossing), but I have guys rated 19 and 20 that I'd prefer to see handling that job. Any thoughts or suggestions?
Fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 10:28 AM   #41
rowech
Pro Starter

ManU -- 74 points, 35 GD
Liverpool -- 74 points, 35 GD
Arsenal -- 73 points, 36 GD

I lose the premiership by a stinking tie somewhere. Mostly because in the Champions League Semis my keeper gets a red card and hurt in the 2nd leg. Somehow I win but my backup also gets hurt and for three terrible games I have to go with my 3rd stringer. I draw one and lose two.

I bounce back to win FA cup and Champions League final but a stinking tie away from all three.
Old 07-23-2010, 11:15 AM   #42
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fonzie View Post
At the risk of turning this into a technical support thread - has anyone else had problems with getting the correct player to take freekicks? I am frequently seeing my left back taking freekicks despite the fact that other active players are listed in the freekick screen (and he is not - and hasn't ever been).

At first I thought that perhaps I had substituted out the guys listed as freekick takers and this guy was chosen by the AI, but most of the time that's not the case. I'm stumped. Fortunately this guy isn't terrible at freekicks (rated 14 at crossing), but I have guys rated 19 and 20 that I'd prefer to see handling that job. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Where are the kicks taken from? - normally the 'assigned' taker will take a kick unless:

* Its not seen as a scoring opportunity (ie. no point having David Beckham taking a freekick near their own area he's not about to score anyway).
* Its being taken as an 'opportunity' shot, ie. he's hoping the opposition aren't ready and trying to get a snap pass/shot in ..