Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-09-2010, 05:59 PM   #1
AlexB
Pro Starter

Le Tour - 2010 edition

One of the best first weeks I can remember - crashes, controversy and Cancellara

FWIW I thought the idea to regroup on stage 3 was fine, but race from that point on. That episode did absolutely nothing for the race or cycling in general.

The cobbles section was interesting and fun, but not as devastating as maybe people thought. But added another dimension to the race, and I'd like to see it more often.

From then on a brief 'is Cav really all that?' moment followed by a 'OK, yes he is (as long as Mark Renshaw does his job properly)' and a good showing so far from Team Sky (Geraint Thomas, Brad Wiggins & Edvald Boassen Hagen [who is a future Grand Tour star IMO])

A great 1st week, and although it clashed with the World Cup a couple of nights on TV, this was my #1 choice (admittedly mainly because this is the least interesting WC in my memory)

And my interest is particularly piqued as I got a free bet for Cadel Evans @ 33/1 each way! Looking good so far...

AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 06:56 PM   #2
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

33/1 each way?

I like Cadel this year. Menchov too, I'm hoping he can return to the consistency he demonstrated prior to last year.

The big question is still Contador and Lance. My head says Contador, although I see the potential for Vino to cause some problems that affect him. My heart is all about Lance. I'm convinced he'll be on the podium again. Higher than last year?
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 04:21 AM   #3
AlexB
Pro Starter

Split bet - one bet on him to win @ 33/1, the other to finish top 3 at a third of the odds. if he wins both come in, but top 3 gets me in effect 11/2
Old 07-10-2010, 12:11 PM   #4
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Good first week - just settling in to watch the first mountain stage here...
Old 07-11-2010, 02:52 PM   #5
PilotMan
Head Coach

Today sucked. Go Schleck.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 04:11 PM   #6
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
Today sucked. Go Schleck.

Great day of racing - intriguingly set up now with that last 500m.
Old 07-14-2010, 01:30 PM   #7
whomario
Pro Starter

Have stopped following the tour and cycling the last couple years with all the negativity surounding it (deserved it may be, annoying it still is ...) , but every once in a while you read up on or see a stage and see shit happen that makes you think "holy cow, juiced or not theese guys are incredible", like Cadel Evans riding a whole stage in a world of pain with a freaking ellbow fracture (after injuring it the stage before and basically not sleeping at all due to pain)

And he´s not quitting either, he keeps riding with that fracture ...
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 08:08 PM   #8
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

I'm liking the developing Schleck/Contador duel. I think if anybody really has a chance to take Contador down it's Schleck -- although without his brother it's going to be harder for him I think, unfortunately.

Now to watch Wednesday's stage.
Old 02-15-2011, 12:33 PM   #9
bhlloy
Coordinator

Contador gets off with the bad steak excuse, despite the fact that only one animal out of 80,000+ in Europe has tested positive for the drug in question in over two years.

Cycling drug testing is an absolute fricking joke. Just let them all dope as much as they want.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 12:37 PM   #10
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Contador gets off with the bad steak excuse, despite the fact that only one animal out of 80,000+ in Europe has tested positive for the drug in question in over two years.

Cycling drug testing is an absolute fricking joke. Just let them all dope as much as they want.

Seriously - how fucking ridiculous.
Old 02-15-2011, 12:59 PM   #11
bhlloy
Coordinator

I hate Floyd Landis but I'm really starting to feel a little bit sorry for the guy. It must suck to be the one guy who gets nailed when you know everybody else is just as dirty and even when they get caught, they can wriggle out of it.
Old 02-15-2011, 01:28 PM   #12
Icy
Pro Starter

I'm Spanish so even when i could be thought to be biased... i'm not.

I don't believe Contador's story about eating an steak who had clembuterol as i don't believe Indurain was clean when his personal doctor was years later found guilty of providing drugs to other cyclists and being one of the best hiding it and as i don't believe Armstrong got that great just after his cancer when he was average before and when he has been accused by team mates.

It's so sad, but probably most of the biggest all time cyclist had doctors that were ahead of the drugs testers so they never got caught, but they would probably now with current techniques.

This decision by the Spanish cyclist organization is an step back in the fight against drugs in sports and could lead to others using them and then using the same excuse and some of the media here is pointing it.

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 02:18 PM   #13
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy View Post
I'm Spanish so even when i could be thought to be biased... i'm not.

I don't believe Contador's story about eating an steak who had clembuterol as i don't believe Indurain was clean when his personal doctor was years later found guilty of providing drugs to other cyclists and being one of the best hiding it and as i don't believe Armstrong got that great just after his cancer when he was average before and when he has been accused by team mates.

It's so sad, but probably most of the biggest all time cyclist had doctors that were ahead of the drugs testers so they never got caught, but they would probably now with current techniques.

This decision by the Spanish cyclist organization is an step back in the fight against drugs in sports and could lead to others using them and then using the same excuse and some of the media here is pointing it.

Eddy Merckx FTW!!!
Old 02-15-2011, 03:05 PM   #14
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Why is it always when somebody in cycling gets cleaned that they receive the opposite of the benefit of the doubt? But when some random soccer player gets tested positive, the whole world does believe all those 'it was in my shampoo!' stories.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 03:17 PM   #15
bhlloy
Coordinator

I don't know if that's aimed at me or not, but when a soccer player avoids a ban by claiming he got it from a steak when there's a proven 1 in 80,000 chance that a given steak has the contamination, I'll be just as skeptical I can promise you.
Old 02-15-2011, 03:46 PM   #16
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
I don't know if that's aimed at me or not, but when a soccer player avoids a ban by claiming he got it from a steak when there's a proven 1 in 80,000 chance that a given steak has the contamination, I'll be just as skeptical I can promise you.
It wasn't directed to anybody specific. That was my reaction to how it generally goes.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote