Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: Who lives with the greatest regret?
Ken Griffey Jr. 6 17.14%
Barry Bonds 14 40.00%
Other 1 2.86%
Trout 14 40.00%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-06-2010, 08:37 AM   #1
Mike1409
High School Varsity

Who has the greatest regret?

With the Griffey thread earlier here is an article in the local paper the raises an interesting question.

Is Barry Bonds or Ken Griffey Jr. living with the greater regret? - St. Petersburg Times

I say Griffey because Bonds has never publicly shown he cares about anybody but himself.

Last edited by Mike1409 : 06-06-2010 at 08:39 AM.
Mike1409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 08:45 AM   #2
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

i went with trout. griffey seems pretty at peace with himself and i don't think bonds is capable of that emotion.
NorvTurnerOverdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 08:55 AM   #3
rowech
Pro Starter

When Bonds doesn't get enough votes for the hall to stay eligible after the frist ballot, there will be a lot of regret.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 08:58 AM   #4
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
When Bonds doesn't get enough votes for the hall to stay eligible after the frist ballot, there will be a lot of regret.
i still bet he gets in on the 2nd or 3rd vote. the HOF voters may hate him.... but he was still the only player you could ever mention as a comparable to ruth.

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 09:04 AM   #5
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by claphamsa View Post
i still bet he gets in on the 2nd or 3rd vote. the HOF voters may hate him.... but he was still the only player you could ever mention as a comparable to ruth.

He'll never get in. Writers won't vote him and veterans never will either.

Last edited by rowech : 06-06-2010 at 09:04 AM.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 09:06 AM   #6
Swaggs
Coordinator

It will be strange to have a hall of fame without Bonds, Clemens, and Rose.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 09:07 AM   #7
Swaggs
Coordinator

...and, I guess I never realized it, but Bonds and Clemens will both be eligible in the same year (they both retired in 2007). It will be difficult to watch ESPN that month.
Old 06-06-2010, 09:09 AM   #8
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, I highly doubt either of them have much in the way of regrets right now.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 09:16 AM   #9
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
He'll never get in. Writers won't vote him and veterans never will either.

The writers have proven they don't care if someone was taking PEDs and half the veterans were probably taking them too.

I think he gets in fairly easily.
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 10:26 AM   #10
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyroofoo View Post
The writers have proven they don't care if someone was taking PEDs and half the veterans were probably taking them too.

+1 on this... you get all the righteous crap from idiots like frank robinson... but when it gets down to it, its just a different era. i would be surprised if the number of MLB players in the 90s that did roids REGULARLY was under 50%

you can leave out a whole generation.....

GIT R DUN!!!
Old 06-06-2010, 10:54 AM   #11
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
...and, I guess I never realized it, but Bonds and Clemens will both be eligible in the same year (they both retired in 2007). It will be difficult to watch ESPN that month.

So true

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 11:03 AM   #12
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Chris Webber
Old 06-06-2010, 11:47 AM   #13
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by claphamsa View Post
...you get all the righteous crap from idiots like frank robinson...

He thinks that taking Steroids illegally is cheating? What a moron!
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 12:04 PM   #14
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:

Evidence so far is to he contrary. McGwire is 0 for 4 in voting and isn't even close to getting in. No one who has been tainted by the steroids era since 1995 has gotten in.

In the last five years the writers have put in seven players. Three were first-time ballot guys (Ripken, Gwynn and Henderson). The other four (Gossage, Sutter, Rice and Dawson) all languished on the ballot for at least nine years before getting in and no doubt benefitted from the fact that their numbers look better in the context of the sports era.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 12:08 PM   #15
molson
General Manager

Quote:

The writers did completely slam the door on McGwire though. And while he didn't have Bond's career, he hit 568 Hrs and hasn't cracked 25% of the vote. Is Bonds really going to be the necessary 3X as popular with voters?
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 12:09 PM   #16
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

comedy Damion Easley response
Old 06-06-2010, 12:10 PM   #17
kcchief19
Pro Starter

I went with trout here. The idea that Griffey regrets NOT taking steroids is silly. He was the unfortunate victim of injuries, and there's not much he could have done about that -- unless he did what Bonds and McGwire did and not run for 10 years.

I don't think Bonds has an regret now because he doesn't seem to think he did anything wrong.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 12:48 PM   #18
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorvTurnerOverdrive View Post
i went with trout. griffey seems pretty at peace with himself and i don't think bonds is capable of that emotion.

This.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 12:57 PM   #19
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
The writers did completely slam the door on McGwire though. And while he didn't have Bond's career, he hit 568 Hrs and hasn't cracked 25% of the vote. Is Bonds really going to be the necessary 3X as popular with voters?

I think the fact that Bonds has as many HRs as he does, plus the fact that he was more of an athlete (stolen bases) might get him more votes. No idea if it means HOF, but I think people see McGwire as a power hitter that took enhancers... while Bonds was more of a complete player.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 01:01 PM   #20
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
I think the fact that Bonds has as many HRs as he does, plus the fact that he was more of an athlete (stolen bases) might get him more votes. No idea if it means HOF, but I think people see McGwire as a power hitter that took enhancers... while Bonds was more of a complete player.

For people against PEDs making their way into the HoF, they'll not vote for Bonds no matter what his "complete package" was. Doesn't matter if he was better defensively or better speed than McGwire, he still cheated.

The question will come down to whether or not there are enough HoF voters that are going to take that kind of stance against PEDs. I actually think you'll probably see a fairly similar vote for both Bonds and Clemens. Both without a doubt put up stats that are sure-fire hall of fame, so the only reason they get votes or not will be the PED issue.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 01:02 PM   #21
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

+2

SI

Old 06-06-2010, 01:03 PM   #22
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post

I think that voters will say "Bonds would have been good enough without steriods" (and possibly Clemens) but will hammer other guys (McGwire, Palmeiro, Sosa, etc), saying they wouldn't have. However, there's no way of really knowing for any of them.

SI

Old 06-06-2010, 01:12 PM   #23
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Im not sure what Griffey would regret. The only thing he did wrong was get injured.

Bonds on the other hand I could make a huge list of things.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 01:19 PM   #24
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos View Post
Chris Webber

I like C-Web, but it was his other terrible decision that brought an entire program to its knees. 1000x worse then the TO.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 01:40 PM   #25
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
I think that voters will say "Bonds would have been good enough without steriods" (and possibly Clemens) but will hammer other guys (McGwire, Palmeiro, Sosa, etc), saying they wouldn't have. However, there's no way of really knowing for any of them.

SI

That's kind of what I think should happen. But I think there are enough self righteous sports writers, who enjoy being the story (rather than reporting it), to drag it out for a number of years.
Old 06-06-2010, 01:46 PM   #26
Tigercat
College Starter

The way baseball chooses to ignore what happens on the field, and in some case contemplates wiping on the field performance from history, I wonder if they shouldn't just go all out with the beauty contest. Sure you can win the World Series and get that trophy, but at the end of the year the purists will vote on the team that best represents the history of the game. That will be your real MLB champions.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 02:17 PM   #27
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
Im not sure what Griffey would regret. The only thing he did wrong was get injured.

Bonds on the other hand I could make a huge list of things.

Didn't read the article but Jr. was a prima donna for much of his early career. He may regret not enjoying the game as much as he could have.

Pure speculation though.

As for Bonds, he has shown that he could care less about anything but himself. Even if he doesn't make it into the HoF for what he did; he will never regret his own decisions and instead see himself as a martyr. He is a lying, cheating asshole and he deserves to go to his grave never having the honor of being inducted to the HoF.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 02:19 PM   #28
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post
The way baseball chooses to ignore what happens on the field, and in some case contemplates wiping on the field performance from history, I wonder if they shouldn't just go all out with the beauty contest. Sure you can win the World Series and get that trophy, but at the end of the year the purists will vote on the team that best represents the history of the game. That will be your real MLB champions.

Ignores what happens on the field?
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 02:31 PM   #29
larrymcg421
Head Coach

I think the one thing that might save Bonds is that all evidence points to him not starting using until the late 90s. Even if he retired before he ever started using, he probably would've gone into the Hall anyways.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 02:43 PM   #30
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post

Huh? I think you have them confused with BCS: News, highlights and insights into the Bowl Championship Series

SI

Old 06-06-2010, 03:28 PM   #31
Carrot Top
n00b

Me, I should have never gone under the knife.

Last edited by Carrot Top : 06-06-2010 at 03:29 PM.
Carrot Top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 05:05 PM   #32
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
He thinks that taking Steroids illegally is cheating? What a moron!
most shit taken.. is not in fact illegal. HGH is perfectly legal, anything is legal in the dominican... so you. frank is a moron.

GIT R DUN!!!
Old 06-07-2010, 09:26 AM   #33
chesapeake
College Starter

Quote:

This. Bonds would have to accept some portion of responsibility for his decisions in order to feel regret.
chesapeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 10:28 AM   #34
miked
College Starter

One of my dad's buddies is a sportswriter...said he didn't vote for Big Mac because of the .263 average, crappy defense, and the fact that he had 1600 career hits. Even though 583 of them were HR.

He also said he probably wouldn't vote Biggio because he was never "dominant" or "feared" (whatever that means), and merely got 3000 hits by playing a long time. Whatever.

No way they keep Bonds (or Clemens probably) out.
Old 06-07-2010, 10:58 AM   #35
JediKooter
Coordinator

The writers have long memories and I'm sure a lot of them remember how Bonds treated the media, plus him just being a dick, plus him being juiced, plus his pending federal trial. He will probably eventually get in, but, I would be surprised if he makes it in before the 5th time he's illegible. I see Griffy getting in before Bonds.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 11:27 AM   #36
SteveMax58
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post
One of my dad's buddies is a sportswriter...said he didn't vote for Big Mac because of the .263 average, crappy defense, and the fact that he had 1600 career hits. Even though 583 of them were HR.

He also said he probably wouldn't vote Biggio because he was never "dominant" or "feared" (whatever that means), and merely got 3000 hits by playing a long time. Whatever.

No way they keep Bonds (or Clemens probably) out.

Curious...did he ever mention why guys like Tom Seaver, Babe Ruth, Hank Aaron, etc. do not get 100% votes?

I mean...it isn't like these are public polls where you expect a certain % of asshat votes. You kind of expect there to be some degree of unanimity amongst baseball people as to who are the greats...yet nobody ever gets 100%.
SteveMax58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 11:33 AM   #37
Tigercat
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Ignores what happens on the field?

You hit the most HRs, you should be in the hall of fame. You collect the most hits, you are in the hall of fame. It is called the hall of fame, most famous players that are known for their feats on the field. It isn't the "hall of guys who played baseball the way "we" wanted it to be played." Go figure how we have Cobb and spitballers in there.

To absolutely choose to have the hall of fame be a beauty contest is like choosing to have a BCS system when you have the means to do things in a straightforward (and correct) way. But the moment Rose was left out, hell the moment Shoeless was left out, that is what we got. Leaving Bonds out just makes it worse.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote