Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-15-2003, 12:31 AM   #1
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Worst sports trades

Anyone know any websites that list the worst trades of all time? I thought it would be fun to check out.

Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 12:42 AM   #2
TLK
Pro Starter

I think the Tigers homepage has a transaction page..... that'd be a good place to start....

TLK
TLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 01:40 AM   #3
ACStrider
High School JV

My vote goes to P Ernie Broglio of the St. Louis Cardinals for some nobody player named Lou Brock on the Chicago Cubs. Espn has a few articles although I would differ with how what they consider "worst trades". As is the case so often in sports history, people forget the past and over-glorify the present.

Last edited by ACStrider : 04-15-2003 at 01:42 AM.
ACStrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 02:00 AM   #4
MrBug708
Head Coach

Pedro Martinez for Delino Deshields
Vlade for Kobe
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 02:25 AM   #5
Havok
College Starter

Its always fun to look at the Wizards trades throughout the last 10 years.
Old 04-15-2003, 02:43 AM   #6
oykib
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by MrBug708
Pedro Martinez for Delino Deshields
Vlade for Kobe

It was actually Vlade and Eddie Jones. AAnd that trade was made because Kobe said that he wouldn't play in the NBA for Charlotte. Since he grew up in Italy, people took the threat that he'd play in Europe for a year seriously.

You can't count most of the bad NBA trades because most of them are the sign-and-trade variety becaause of the arcane salary cap and matching rules.

Jeff Bagwell for Larry Anderson seems like it should be up there.

And depite the fact that Pappas was much better than people give him credit for, Frank Robinson for Milt Pappas had to be one of the worst trades in history.

That was probably the worst for two reasons.

1. It involves the best position player ever to be traded in his prime, with the obvious exception of Ruth, who was sold because of his owners insolvency.

2. It wasn't one where a veteran was traded for a prospect. Every team has a list as long as your arm of prospects that later turned out to be great that were dealt for strech-drive semi-decent veteran help. But it's rare to find the GM stupid enough to lose a known MVP commodity for something worth a lot less.
oykib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 03:17 AM   #7
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Hockey perspective:

Vancouver trades Cam Neely to Boston for Barry Pedersen

Pittsburgh traded Markus Naslund to Vancouver for Alex Stojanov.

Islanders trade Todd Bertuzzi and Bryan McCabe to Vancouver for Trevor Linden.

Philadelphia Flyers trades Ron Hextall, Peter Forsberg, Steve Duchesne, Kerry Huffman, Mike Ricci, Chris Simon, 1st round selection (Jocelyn Thibault) in 1993, 1st round selection (later traded to the Toronto Maple Leafs, later traded to the Washington Capitals - Nolan Baumgartner) in 1994 and cash to the Quebec Nordiques for Eric Lindros.

Detroit Red Wings trade Adam Oates and Paul MacLean to St. Louis for Bernie Federko and Tony McKegney. Horrible deal for the Wings.

St. Louis send Rob Ramage and Rick Wamsley to Calgary for Brett Hull and Steve Bozek.

Hartford Whalers send Zarley Zalapski and John Cullen to Pittsburgh for Ron Francis and Ulf Samuelsson

Montreal Canadiens send Patrick Roy and Mike Keane to the Forces of Darkness(tm) for Jocelyn Thibault, Martin Rucinsky, and the Russian Tank Andrei Kovalenko.

Blackhawks send Dominik Hasek to the Sabres for Stephen Beauregard and a 4th round pick (Daze).

Edmonton sends Wayne Gretzky, Mike Krushelnyski, and Marty McSorely, for Martin Gelinas, Jimmy Carson, and three first round picks. (This a bit of a "money" deal that needed to happen, but still...)

I didn't include recent deals that were just salary dumps (see: Jagr deal, Bure deal, Kovalev deal, etc.) Most of these deals were back in the day when trades were made for hockey reasons. Well, they were supposed to be.

Other sports: (taken from ESPN2.com)

1. Red Sox sell Babe Ruth

2. Colts deal John Elway to Broncos

3. Nets sell Dr. J to 76ers

4. Golden State furnishes Celtics with Robert Parish and No. 3 pick (Kevin McHale)

5. Pedro Martinez goes from L.A. to Montreal

6. Mets ship Nolan Ryan to California

7. Reds deal away an "aging" Frank Robinson to the O's

8. Cowboys build title team netting 6 players and 12 draft picks (including Emmitt Smith and Darren Woodson) from Minnesota in exchange for Herschel Walker

9. Bulls get Scottie Pippen from Sonics for Olden Polynice

10. Blazers deal Moses Malone for draft pick
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 06:45 AM   #8
stkelly52
College Benchwarmer

It is really hard to know if it was a bad trade or not. For example, the Red Sox traded Ruth to the Yankies (actually, he was sold so he dosen't even qualify) so that the owner could afford to put on his play. He got exactly what he wanted out of the deal and made alot of money out of the deal.

John Elway had said that he was not going to play for the Colts so the Colts had no choice but to trade him away.

There are lots of reasons why teams could be on the losing end of a trade, and it often isn't because they made a bad deal. It was just the best choice that they had to make.
stkelly52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 07:18 AM   #9
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Cards trade Steve Carlton to Phillies for Rick Wise, over $10,000 contract dispute. Thank you Cards.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 07:27 AM   #10
klayman
College Benchwarmer

I imagine Honolulu_Blue doesn't like this hockey trade right about now either.

Flames trade J.S Giguere to Anaheim for a 2nd round draft pick
klayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 07:46 AM   #11
BreizhManu
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by Honolulu_Blue
Philadelphia Flyers trades Ron Hextall, Peter Forsberg, Steve Duchesne, Kerry Huffman, Mike Ricci, Chris Simon, 1st round selection (Jocelyn Thibault) in 1993, 1st round selection (later traded to the Toronto Maple Leafs, later traded to the Washington Capitals - Nolan Baumgartner) in 1994 and cash to the Quebec Nordiques for Eric Lindros.

Must agree, this one was horrible, yet a Forsberg vs Lindros trade would hve been horrible too.
BreizhManu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 08:02 AM   #12
Radii
Head Coach

The Cubs giving up Lou Brock is a big one. The Cubs were also beneficiaries of two of the worst trades ever too IMO. White Sox give up Sosa, Cubs give up George Bell. Also, the trade that brought Ryne Sandberg to the Cubs from the Phillies, I can't remember who the Cubs gave up but it wasn't much for a hall of fame(next year hopefully :P ) second baseman.

The Herschel Walker for 4 million draft picks from Minnesota has to be up there too.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 08:06 AM   #13
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally posted by klayman
I imagine Honolulu_Blue doesn't like this hockey trade right about now either.

Flames trade J.S Giguere to Anaheim for a 2nd round draft pick

No. I would much rather have Giguere wallowing in Calgary at this moment. Much rather indeed. Way to go Former-GM Craig Button.

Speaking of Giguere, what the hell is it about the Red Wings and French-Canadian goalies?

As to not threadjack, I will continue this discussion on the NHL play-off thread.
Old 04-15-2003, 08:49 AM   #14
primelord
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by oykib
It was actually Vlade and Eddie Jones.

No it wasn't. Eddie was traded with Elden Campbell to Charolette for Glenn Rice. The Kobe deal was just for Vlade.
primelord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 09:01 AM   #15
oykib
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by primelord
No it wasn't. Eddie was traded with Elden Campbell to Charolette for Glenn Rice. The Kobe deal was just for Vlade.

I remembered it as part of the saame negotiation. But I hte the Fakers, anyway. I'm sure you're right.

My main point is that it wasn't a bad trade. Kobe wasn't going to sign with Charlotte. So, they had to deal him.

If David Stern had some nuts, he would've told Kobe and Srtevie Franchise and the lot of 'em that you play for the team that drafts you or you don't play. All he had to do was change the rules so that the rights are kept for three years instead of one.

It's easy to say that you're gonna sit out for a year. But to say that you're gonna sit out for three would be tough. It would also give the team leverage if they wanted to trade the rights.
Old 04-15-2003, 09:13 AM   #16
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Kovalev trade. The worst part is that it was necessary. Hockey is in big trouble.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 09:14 AM   #17
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
St. Louis send Rob Ramage and Rick Wamsley to Calgary for Brett Hull and Steve Bozek.
This one always gets included in the list of bad hockey trades. Hull turned out OK (cough), but I think if you trade a prospect for veterans and then win a cup within a few seasons of the deal, you should be exempt from the hall of shame.

How about California handing Guy Lafleur to the Habs?

Or this little classic: Flames trades Doug Gilmour, Jamie Macoun, Rick Wamsley (him again!) Ric Natress and Kent Manderville to the Leafs for Gary Leeman, Jeff Reese, Alex Godynyuk, Michel Petit and Craig Berube.
Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 09:23 AM   #18
henry296
College Starter

Quote:
Hockey perspective:

Pittsburgh traded Markus Naslund to Vancouver for Alex Stojanov.

Hartford Whalers send Zarley Zalapski and John Cullen to Pittsburgh for Ron Francis and Ulf Samuelsson

Just some comments on the two Pittsburgh trades.

The Naslund trade is getting a lot of talk in Pittsburgh right now. The trade was in 95 when the Penguins still had a lot of skill forwards but needed a grinder and Naslund was making good money since he was a first round pick but not playing a lot, so they decided to punt. Stojanov played his role ok but got hurt in a traffic accident during the following offseason and really never played again.

The Hartford trade is backwards. The Penguins got Ulf and Francis plus Grant Jennings for Zalapski, Cullen and someone else, who I think was Jeff Daniels. That trade made Craig Patrick's reputation as a GM and lead to the 2 Stanley Cups.

Todd
Old 04-15-2003, 09:42 AM   #19
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally posted by henry296

Just some comments on the two Pittsburgh trades.

The Naslund trade is getting a lot of talk in Pittsburgh right now. The trade was in 95 when the Penguins still had a lot of skill forwards but needed a grinder and Naslund was making good money since he was a first round pick but not playing a lot, so they decided to punt. Stojanov played his role ok but got hurt in a traffic accident during the following offseason and really never played again.

The Hartford trade is backwards. The Penguins got Ulf and Francis plus Grant Jennings for Zalapski, Cullen and someone else, who I think was Jeff Daniels. That trade made Craig Patrick's reputation as a GM and lead to the 2 Stanley Cups.

Todd [/b]

Yeah. That's right. I did get the Hartford-Pitt deal totally backwards. Brain. hurts.
Old 04-15-2003, 10:19 AM   #20
Easy Mac

The Herschel Walker Trade
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 10:34 AM   #21
kid_dynamite
Mascot

The Bears four years ago turned down the chance to take Champ Bailey, Chris McAlister, David Boston, Daunte Culpepper and Chris Claiborne because they traded down to get Cade McNown. i dont know if this counts or if this is the worst ever but it sure wasnt pretty.
Old 04-15-2003, 11:22 AM   #22
oykib
College Starter

I still contend that you can't compare the prospect-who-turned-out to-be-great trades with the all veteran trades.

I get back to Milt Pappas for Frank Robinson. That's a bad trade. It's like if you traded Sammy Sosa for Andy Pettiete two years ago. Although Robinson was a little better than Sosa and Pettiete is a little better than Pappas was.
Old 04-15-2003, 11:31 AM   #23
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Do non-trades count? I think the Bengals turning down Ditka's offer of his whole draft and instead picking Akili Smith should at least get honorable mention.
Old 04-15-2003, 11:52 AM   #24
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

Ditka trading an entire draft + some to move up a few spots and take Ricky Williams....we are still recovering from that draft....
Also, I am to young to remember this trade really but the Saints traded a high first round pick for QB Steve Walsh?

Anytime you want to look at 'the worst' in the NFL look no further than teh Saints....Biggest bust of all time? I would put Russell Erxleben(sp?) on that list.....1st round pick for a kicker(punter)??
Doug5984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 11:59 AM   #25
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
My main point is that it wasn't a bad trade. Kobe wasn't going to sign with Charlotte. So, they had to deal him.

Kobe wasn't holding out. Jerry West wanted Kobe because of the potential. Kobe was just a HS kid with the potential there. He never threatened not to sign with the Hornets
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 12:02 PM   #26
bbor
Pro Starter

Daryl Sittler for Rich Costello

Russ Courtnall for John Kordic

Lanny Mcdonald for Pat hickey,Wilf Paiement

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 12:24 PM   #27
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
I still contend that you can't compare the prospect-who-turned-out to-be-great trades with the all veteran trades.

All right then. The Celtics trading for Vin Baker. It doesn't even matter who (I think Kenny Anderson, Vitaly Potapenko and maybe Joe Forte too) but the loss of cap flexibility and the fact that Baker is now in rehab. Hopefully he'll retire.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 12:26 PM   #28
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by bbor
Russ Courtnall for John Kordic
You know, to this day I still think that was a good trade.
Old 04-15-2003, 12:54 PM   #29
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Chicago Bears #1 draft pick for....Rick Mirer.
Coffee Warlord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 12:57 PM   #30
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Maple Leafs
You know, to this day I still think that was a good trade.

It was........For Montreal

You're not really Gord Stellick are you?

BTW:the deal was kind of a wash....One alcoholic for another.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
Old 04-15-2003, 01:01 PM   #31
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
You're not really Gord Stellick are you?
I wish.

Seriously, Courtnall was a talented player, but soft (if he was playing today, he'd be a Senator). The Leafs were getting pushed around every night in the toughest division in hockey, so they went out and got probably the second or third most feared tough guy in the league. It didn't work out because Kordic couldn't control his personal demons, but for the time he was in Toronto the Leafs finally stopped taking crap and started playing like a team. Courtnall blossomed in Montreal, but probably never would have in Toronto.

The Leafs made essentially the exact same trade five years later when they dealt Daniel Marois to the Inslanders for Ken Baumgartner, and that ended up being a great deal.
Old 04-15-2003, 01:07 PM   #32
bbor
Pro Starter

Damn....Daniel Marois...there is a name from the past.....you gonna throw out Rocky Saginuks' name too ?

I enjoyed Courtnal.....that dude had some sweet wheels...he could absolutly fly.I guess i enjoy players like that...in turn that is prolly why i enjoy watching the Oilers play so much.

The Oiler/Stars series is by far my favorite series.....2 wide open hell bent for leather teams that can skate like the wind.I prefer that much more than the slugging Flyers/Leaf series.

Old 04-15-2003, 01:21 PM   #33
primelord
Pro Rookie

If we are talking hockey trades the Pavol Demitra for Christer Olsson was a pretty bad trade for the Sens. Although it has worked out very nicely for the Blues.
Old 04-15-2003, 01:24 PM   #34
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Damn....Daniel Marois...there is a name from the past.....you gonna throw out Rocky Saginuks' name too ?
Sounds like we need a round of "shady NHL players".
Old 04-15-2003, 01:41 PM   #35
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Maple Leafs
Sounds like we need a round of "shady NHL players".

I'm in...i am a wealth of useless hockey names

Old 04-15-2003, 01:53 PM   #36
oykib
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by MrBug708
Kobe wasn't holding out. Jerry West wanted Kobe because of the potential. Kobe was just a HS kid with the potential there. He never threatened not to sign with the Hornets

I didn't say that he held out. I sadi that the rumor was that he'd go to Italy. He'd already told the Nets as much directly. A lot of teams shied away from him.

The Story
Old 04-15-2003, 01:58 PM   #37
Franklinnoble
Banned

If you're a Raiders fan, it would be trading tackle Jim Lachey to Washington for Jay Schroeder.

Lachey ended up being a stud and anchored the OL that won the 'Skins the Super Bowl. Schroeder didn't amount to much.
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 02:01 PM   #38
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Let's go through Colts' history.

The worst one is actually, the Jeff George trade. A number one and Andre "Bad Moon" Rison. Rison had an outstanding rookie year with us, and George is the classic example of strong arm, no brain. I never understood why we gave up on Chris Chandler so fast. Oh well.

The Elway trade was a product of the Colts having Frank Kush as coach. Elway wouldn't play for him, so threatened to play baseball instead. In the deal we got Chris Hinton, a ring-of-honor player and actually a great LT for us. But, he left to soon....ironically he was in the 3rd part of the George deal. Very smart, trade to draft a QB and give up a great LT for it. Kind of defeats the purpose, doesn't it?
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 02:07 PM   #39
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by ColtCrazy
Let's go through Colts' history.

The worst one is actually, the Jeff George trade. A number one and Andre "Bad Moon" Rison. Rison had an outstanding rookie year with us, and George is the classic example of strong arm, no brain. I never understood why we gave up on Chris Chandler so fast. Oh well.

The Elway trade was a product of the Colts having Frank Kush as coach. Elway wouldn't play for him, so threatened to play baseball instead. In the deal we got Chris Hinton, a ring-of-honor player and actually a great LT for us. But, he left to soon....ironically he was in the 3rd part of the George deal. Very smart, trade to draft a QB and give up a great LT for it. Kind of defeats the purpose, doesn't it?

I thought Andre preferred "Spider-man" to "Bad Moon"...
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 02:09 PM   #40
primelord
Pro Rookie

Quote:
I'm in...i am a wealth of useless hockey names

Seeing as there have been a wealth of useless hockey players in Toronto I guess that makes sense.

Last edited by primelord : 04-15-2003 at 02:10 PM.
primelord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 02:34 PM   #41
Mountain
Mascot

I think this was the trade but I'm not sure.

How about the Braves sending Brett Butler and Brook Jacoby to the Indians for Len Barker who almost immediately blew out his arm upon arriving in Atlanta.
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 02:37 PM   #42
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Seeing as there have been a wealth of useless hockey players in Toronto I guess that makes sense.

Ouch!!

Old 04-15-2003, 02:40 PM   #43
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:

If David Stern had some nuts, he would've told Kobe and Srtevie Franchise and the lot of 'em that you play for the team that drafts you or you don't play. All he had to do was change the rules so that the rights are kept for three years instead of one.

Huh?

The rules for player movement, including those pertaining to draft rights, are negotiated with the player's union. Stern cannot arbitrarily change them. And sitting out a year to re-enter the draft seems to be deterrent enough, as noone has ever actually done this.

Changing the rules like that after a draft would be as silly as changing the playoff rules in the middle of a season, and the NBA would never do that, would they?
Old 04-15-2003, 02:44 PM   #44
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

You can't force someone to play for a specific team, especially if they don't have a contract. Elway, for example, had leverage. Trade me or I play 3B for the Yankees. Those teams could have forced the issue, or the players could have chosen to forego a year of playing (and getting paid) to go back into the draft.

JD Drew did it, and there's another guy this year who is about to do the same thing.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 03:16 PM   #45
rexalllsc
Banned

Quote:
I didn't say that he held out. I sadi that the rumor was that he'd go to Italy. He'd already told the Nets as much directly. A lot of teams shied away from him.

The Story

That's ok...the trade was worked out before the pick was made...You think if Lebron James told the Nuggets that he wouldn't play for them that they wouldn't pick him anyways?

Last edited by rexalllsc : 04-15-2003 at 03:16 PM.
rexalllsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 03:26 PM   #46
RonnieDobbs
High School JV

Cut the Hornets some slack. They weren't the only ones skittish on taking Bryant.

1. Philadelphia Allen Iverson Georgetown
2. Toronto Marcus Camby Massachusetts
3. Vancouver Shareef Abdur-Rahim California
4. Milwaukee (1) Stephon Marbury Georgia Tech
5. Minnesota (1) Ray Allen Connecticut
6. Boston (from Dallas) Antoine Walker Kentucky
7. LA Clippers Lorenzen Wright Memphis
8. New Jersey Kerry Kittles Villanova
9. Dallas (from Boston) Samaki Walker Louisvile
10. Indiana (from Denver) Erick Dampier Mississippi State
11. Golden State Todd Fuller North Carolina State
12. Cleveland (from Wash.) Vitaly Potapenko Wright State
13. Kobe

Proud Manager of the BOSTON WYCKYD SCEPTRE
Also attempting to Right The Ship with the Clippers
RonnieDobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 08:06 PM   #47
Blackadar
Retired

Well, shit, Kobe was an unproven skinny High Schooler at the time. The word on the street was there was a much bigger risk taking Kobe than Garnett (from a few years' earlier) because Kobe wasn't as tall or built.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 08:49 PM   #48
oykib
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by RonnieDobbs
Cut the Hornets some slack. They weren't the only ones skittish on taking Bryant.

1. Philadelphia Allen Iverson Georgetown
2. Toronto Marcus Camby Massachusetts
3. Vancouver Shareef Abdur-Rahim California
4. Milwaukee (1) Stephon Marbury Georgia Tech
5. Minnesota (1) Ray Allen Connecticut
6. Boston (from Dallas) Antoine Walker Kentucky
7. LA Clippers Lorenzen Wright Memphis
8. New Jersey Kerry Kittles Villanova
9. Dallas (from Boston) Samaki Walker Louisvile
10. Indiana (from Denver) Erick Dampier Mississippi State
11. Golden State Todd Fuller North Carolina State
12. Cleveland (from Wash.) Vitaly Potapenko Wright State
13. Kobe

Yeah, but we know for sure that the Nets would've taken him. But, we call West a genius for drafting Kobe when we know that other teams ahead of him would've taken Kobe. I guess he's also a genius for signing Shaq to that 'funny' contract some years ago.

Obviously, he is a smart basketball man. But we don't have to go shouting 'genius' for every move he's made.

As to the draft rights, the veterans'd sell out the rookies at the drop of a dime. He could probably get it as a mid-CBA adjustment like the first-round playoff extension for a song.

I just think that the management of the NBA has conducted themselves in a way that helps most of us be suspicious of them.

Who doesn't think that these guys prefer a system in which Steve Francis winds up in Houston instead of Vancouver and Kobe ends up in L.A. just in time for the new arena and Michael's retirement.

I've been joking about the lottery, like a lot of you, but who doesn't think that The Knicks or Bulls are gonna wind up winning it?
Old 04-16-2003, 08:50 AM   #49
A-Husker-4-Life
College Prospect

The Atlanta Falcons Trading QB Brett Farve for RB John Stephens..
Stephens didn't even play a game for them... Jerry Glanville was a joke, he had Farve as the 3rd string Qb..... Atleast we have Vick now....
Old 04-16-2003, 09:16 AM   #50
Alf
Pro Starter

Quote:

That was a bad trade for the Lakers :
Campbell + Eddie Jones for Glenn Rice....