Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-14-2003, 04:11 PM   #1
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Cool OK, fess up - who here is an NFL draftnik?

I admit it, I simply love the NFL draft. I really get a kick out of the constantly-changing combinations of players, needs, picks, trades, Joe Theismann facings of Mel Kiper, the Jets fans hooting in the upper deck, out-of-the-blue picks from Southwestern Colossal Squid State, and so on. If someone could put together an ultra-detailed, ultra-realistic sim of the NFL draft (JUST the draft, nothing else), I'd suck it up like a dried out starfish.

What are those silly Bengals really going to do? Where does Leftwich end up? McGahee? How long will Marcus Trufant be around? Boss Bailey?

Now who else out there is slobbering like Pavlov's dog waiting for the upcoming draft?

WSUCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 04:13 PM   #2
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

Re: OK, fess up - who here is an NFL draftnik?

Quote:
Originally posted by WSUCougar

Now who else out there is slobbering like Pavlov's dog waiting for the upcoming draft?

Me.
Doug5984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 04:15 PM   #3
Craptacular
College Starter

I hang a picture of Mel Kiper, Jr. on the ceiling above my bed.
Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 04:18 PM   #4
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
The draft is better than the superbowl. all my buddies come over, but their wives stay at home.
Old 04-14-2003, 04:21 PM   #5
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Love draft day(s). Even though my Falcons to date have only had one good one (and that was over in the first ten minutes).
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 04:30 PM   #6
Kodos
Resident Alien

I think Mel should market his own brand of hair-gel. His face would look great on the can!
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 04:34 PM   #7
CAsterling
High School JV

Re: OK, fess up - who here is an NFL draftnik?

Quote:
Originally posted by WSUCougar

Great there's an image I really didn't need in my mind - a human (any human) slobbering lke a dog
Old 04-14-2003, 05:00 PM   #8
QuikSand
lolzcat

I think the first day of the NFL draft is very near the top of my list for favorite days in sports of any year. Set aside horseracing days, and it might be the very top of the list. Certainly higher than the Superbowl, I agree.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 05:05 PM   #9
damnMikeBrown
College Benchwarmer

I love the draft. My favorite moments of the FOF series were making a draft board and slotting all the players. The season was what I had to get through so I could do another draft.

I wait the whole year for it, and relish it when it comes. Oh, and damn it if there isn't a conspiracy to devalue the top picks this year! First Suggs bombs his workout, now Rogers is flagged for his masking agent. Damn it! How can the Bengals con the Texans or Lions into taking the first pick if the value keeps dropping!
damnMikeBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 05:08 PM   #10
Bee
Pro Starter

I got married on draft day. Sadly, my wife found out that one of my friends was listening to it on the radio and feeding me updates throughout the day...
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 05:13 PM   #11
mckerney
Coordinator

Less than two weeks till draft day and my team has the #7 pick, though thankfully they won't be picking that high for a while. I'm pretty much hoping that they land one of two guys, Dewayne Robertson or Jimmy Kennedy. Suggs wouldn't be bad to get, though I don't see him being there at 7.

McGahee I look to go as high as one of Oaklands picks, though I at the latest by 25th in the second round. Word is his rehab is going great. Hoping Leftwich goes in the top 6, which would make it more likely one of the two guys I mentioned would be there. Ideally for the Vikes Andre Johnson and Leftwich go before they pick because those are two guys I don't see them considering. Trufant could have a chance to go top 10, though probably 15. I don't think Bailey will fall all that far being after the Bucs success every team wants a stud OLB, and Bailey's physical attributes are too great to pass up (4.37 40 and 45.5 inch vertical).

As for the Bengals, I think they'd be making a mistake by taking Carson Palmer. He's a one year wonder with huge talent for that one year in the post highschool years. Cincy can't afford to take a risk like that on a QB again. If they were go go QB they'd be best off with Byron. If they are to take a non-QB, either Charles Rogers (despite his statements about the Bengals and positive drug test) or Terrance Newman. If I were where they were, I'd go Newman.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 05:14 PM   #12
mckerney
Coordinator

dola...

I do like these rumors of the Bears being very interested in Christy Simms. The Vikes pick up a DT in the first and take the best DB in the 2nd and the Viking D kills the Bears when Simms plays.
Old 04-14-2003, 05:25 PM   #13
Craptacular
College Starter

The Bears are reportedly very likely to take Dewayne Robertson at #4, after Palmer, Rogers, and Andre Johnson. Kennedy should be available at #7.
Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 05:33 PM   #14
mckerney
Coordinator

I know one of the two guys should be available at 7, though when it gets close to draft day you can never be sure if teams are really planning to go after guys who they're thought to be. There is, of course, plenty of misinformation that goes out so teams can mask who they want to reduce the chance of a team going out and trading ahead of them (ie, last year with Ryan Sims).
Old 04-14-2003, 06:48 PM   #15
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally posted by Bee
I got married on draft day. Sadly, my wife found out that one of my friends was listening to it on the radio and feeding me updates throughout the day...

That reminds me of the wedding I officiated last year. All the groomsmen were Dawg fans, and we all were crowded in this little closet with my wife's mini TV watching the Dawgs play Kentucky. We watched until we had to go out to do the service and then all met back to see the last 10 minutes of the game.

Ah, good times.
Old 04-14-2003, 06:58 PM   #16
BishopMVP
Coordinator

I've been hearing a little bit about a rumor that the Patriots might take Willis McGahee 1st Round, with their plethora of picks this year. I would like that a lot more than of the other RB's, but I still think that both lines need to be addressed (preferably Kwame Harris at OT.)

I've seen some mock drafts picking Leftwich to go as low as 27. No chance at all, IMO. This reminds me of Harrington last year, when he started high, was slipping on the mock drafts and ended up going #3. If he doesn't go Top 10 I'll be shocked (and awed ).
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 07:12 PM   #17
Kodos
Resident Alien

Sadly, I will be at a wedding in Florida. There goes one of the best sit at home and do nothing days of the year...
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 07:27 PM   #18
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

cannot wait. I will have piles of football aritcles & magazine, food, soda, beer all around me to enjoy this glorious day.

Watching the Jets on draft day is like a horror movie, I'm just waiting for when I'm going to have to close my eyes and scream.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 07:40 PM   #19
SegRat
High School Varsity

I love the NFL draft. I had to take a Vacation day again this year for day 1. It's worth taking the day off though.

I do see the Bengals taking Palmer #1, and it looks as though they will bring him along slowly. I think they will finally get a gem.

I really look forward to watching the Lions, Bears, and Vikings pick. Hopefully they all pick busts again. My favorite pick by the 3 teams in recent memory, has to be the Vikings and there great pick of Underwood. That was great! I love watching the Vikings fail.

I also don't believe there is any way Leftwich falls that far, but It would be great to see him fall far enough down that the Packers could get a shot at him. I think he will be a very good QB.
Old 04-14-2003, 07:44 PM   #20
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by SegRat
I really look forward to watching the Lions, Bears, and Vikings pick. Hopefully they all pick busts again. My favorite pick by the 3 teams in recent memory, has to be the Vikings and there great pick of Underwood. That was great! I love watching the Vikings fail.

Yes, that did suck. But look at the other guys taken in the first that year, the year prior, and sense then.

Moss, Culpepper, Hovan, Bennet, McKinnie.

Not too bad if you ask me.

edit: also got Kleinsasser that year too, a solid pickup there.

Last edited by mckerney : 04-14-2003 at 07:46 PM.
Old 04-14-2003, 07:47 PM   #21
oykib
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Fritz
The draft is better than the superbowl. all my buddies come over, but their wives stay at home.

Classic.

That's QotM material.
oykib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 08:01 PM   #22
ColtCrazy
College Starter

One of these days, I'm going to the draft. I went to the NBA draft once when it was in Indy. LAME! I love watching the draft...my favorite is Bill Tobin's "Who the hell is Mel Kiper anyway?" quote when we passed up on Trent Dilfer.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 08:06 PM   #23
bosshogg23
College Benchwarmer

The best day of the year for the NFL. My Lions have been so mediocore or bad that the draft is the best we have!
bosshogg23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 08:23 PM   #24
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by ColtCrazy
One of these days, I'm going to the draft. I went to the NBA draft once when it was in Indy. LAME! I love watching the draft...my favorite is Bill Tobin's "Who the hell is Mel Kiper anyway?" quote when we passed up on Trent Dilfer.

I've been to like 4 of them, and honeslty it's better to watch it at home. Onle 5-7 players even come, and it all moves MUCH slower when you're there. Also, you have to get there at like 6AM in order to ensure you get in.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 08:43 PM   #25
AgPete
College Prospect

Best day for the NFL, the Superbowl. Second best is the first day of the draft. I admit, I stay glued on ESPN the first day of the draft. I don't read a lot of mock drafts but I do have a good idea of who is available in the first three rounds. One of my favorite parts is watching the fans boo their team's selections too.
AgPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 08:57 PM   #26
oykib
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by AgPete
Best day for the NFL, the Superbowl. Second best is the first day of the draft. I admit, I stay glued on ESPN the first day of the draft. I don't read a lot of mock drafts but I do have a good idea of who is available in the first three rounds. One of my favorite parts is watching the fans boo their team's selections too.

Just wait for Philly's pick. They boo everybody. Hell, they booed Santa once.
Old 04-14-2003, 09:06 PM   #27
MylesKnight
College Benchwarmer

NFL & NBA Drafts are 1 & 1A in my book..

Both of those are definitely, Grab a 12 Pack and order up some Chinese or Pizza kind of events for yours truly..

Although, let me add this, the NBA Draft moving over to ESPN from TNT may not be a good thing.. I really liked TNT's coverage & the cast of characters they had.. Something tells me hearing Stu Scott say "Boo-Yah" about the Atlanta Hawks selection isn't going to be near as entertaining.

But I will give ESPN their due when it comes to the NFL Draft.. Definitely Top Notch Stuff!!

Last edited by MylesKnight : 04-14-2003 at 09:10 PM.
MylesKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 09:21 PM   #28
oykib
College Starter

I don't find the NBA drft nearly as interesting. There is very little movement among the teams and rarely a suprise. We all know who's going 1, 2, and 3. I won't get excited for the draft.

Now, when the Knicks win the lottery...
Old 04-14-2003, 09:30 PM   #29
Noble_Platypus
College Prospect

I have watched every pick of every round since 1990.I dont plan to break that streak anytime soon.

Last edited by Noble_Platypus : 04-14-2003 at 09:31 PM.
Noble_Platypus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 09:32 PM   #30
mckerney
Coordinator

For all you NBA Draft fans out there, check out these articles by The Sports Guy:

50 Greatest Draft Moments

Who Are These Guys?

Diary of a Mad Draftnik

Idiots Guide to the NBA Draft

Best part out of these could be good advice for Gopher Rick Rickert:

From 1998 ... High schooler Rashard Lewis sets the NBA record for "Most Time Spent In The Green Room" -- improbably lasting through the first round, surviving two "Why hasn't Lewis been taken yet?" highlight montages, surviving at least 35 "There's Rashard sitting by himself in the Green Room" closeups, even getting passed on by his hometown Rockets -- before the Sonics mercifully take him as the 32nd overall pick, which means he doesn't even get to shake hands with David Stern. The entire chain of events brings Lewis to tears. They should show this as a cautionary video to anyone thinking about coming out early.

Good thing they didn't invite Mario Edwards to the NFL Draft a couple years ago. Once thought as a first round pick lasting until the 2nd round of Day Two. And even worse than that, to the Cowboys!!!

And if I am to get back to the issue of who I'd like the Vikes to take, first choice would probably be Robertson because him and Hovan next to each other would be very kick ass. That's not to say I wouldn't be very happy if they landed Kennedy, a guy who is reportedly working out four times a day since changings agents and his three workout a day routine. Put either of those guys next to Hovan with a pass rusher at RE and Mixon at LE would make a very formidable defensive line.
Old 04-14-2003, 09:37 PM   #31
GrantDawg

Quote:
Something tells me hearing Stu Scott say "Boo-Yah" about the Atlanta Hawks selection isn't going to be near as entertaining.

That can't be worse than actually having to sit through a Hawks game. *shudders*
Old 04-14-2003, 09:45 PM   #32
SunDancer
College Benchwarmer

The Idoit guide to the NBA, How would that logic apply to the NFL Draft.

Last edited by SunDancer : 04-14-2003 at 10:01 PM.
SunDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 09:53 PM   #33
mckerney
Coordinator

Not at all, but the NBA draft had been mentioned earlier so I thought I'd share the links. The Sports Guy always has some good stuff in his articles.
Old 04-15-2003, 03:49 AM   #34
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I love the draft. Better than the Superbowl simply for the reason that every team is involved to some extent. (Granted if the Lions were in the Superbowl it would be a different story. But there's no reason to discuss fairy tales.). Being a Lions fan, I have had "Draft Fever" since around December. I check all of the website each day, every day. Seeing McGahee go down was an absolute crusher. I have had it so bad that I have been playing NCAA 2003 and Madden 2003 pretty much non-stop since January to get a draft pool, be able to study it, then go and draft and track results. I have pads of paper all over my apartment with ratings and drafts boards written on them. I am mocked by my girlfriend. She just doesn't understand.

Some great NFL draft links:

http://www.ffbookmarks.com/nfldraft.htm

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2003/mock.html
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 08:17 AM   #35
scooper
College Benchwarmer

I've got an evening wedding on draft day. That will be the first time in years when I have not watched the entire first day. I'm a Bengals fan, though so at least I won't have to wait long for their pick.

I loved the Tobin/Kiper exchange as well. Tobin works for the Bengals now. I'd love to hear something out of him this year.
scooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 08:50 AM   #36
cincyreds
High School Varsity

Yeah! Me and my father in law who is football freak always watch the NFL Draft.

It is a MUST SEE TV EVENT!
Old 04-15-2003, 08:56 AM   #37
Celeval
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by GrantDawg
That reminds me of the wedding I officiated last year. All the groomsmen were Dawg fans, and we all were crowded in this little closet with my wife's mini TV watching the Dawgs play Kentucky. We watched until we had to go out to do the service and then all met back to see the last 10 minutes of the game.

Ah, good times.

Ha! That was the GT - NC State game this season for me. What's with people and fall weddings? Don't they know better?

My sister and her fiance specifically planned their wedding around Notre Dame's football schedule...

Kevin
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 09:18 AM   #38
SunDancer
College Benchwarmer

No, I mean the logic of the "Idoit to the NBA Draft" Guide. The logic that uses behind the breakdown of the player pool. How would you break down the typical player pool of the NFL draft?
SunDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 10:28 AM   #39
Honolulu Blue
Dynasty Boy

I don't consider myself a drafnik, since what I find most interesting about the draft is the first round, players from Michigan universities, Lion draftees, and Mr. Irrelevant.

I like the draft in FOF, but it could be so much better with some of the things the real draft has that the game doesn't, yet:

1) College stats - Yes, you can import players from TCY, but it's a pain in the neck to check their stats from there when you're on the board (and it's a bit of a spoiler to do so, besides)
2) The combine, etc. - I personally pay little attention to stuff like workouts and 40 times because I think the best measure of how a player will play in the pros is how he played against the best competition in college. But I know people who are obsessed with how players do in these dog-and-pony shows and ascribe much value to them. Why not amuse them?
3) Trade offers from the computer on draft day - A large percentage of NFL trades come on draft day and I wish the AI would let me join in on the fun.
4) Other stuff - If you were to look at Charles Rogers from an FOF perspective, he'd probably have most of his key ratings in the 40-60 range, with potentials near 100. In other words, he would have superstar potential and be near the top of everyone's charts. In reality, ability and potential aren't so easy to interpret, and many of this year's top picks have question marks of one kind or another.

Well, anyway, I'll watch pieces of this draft and hope the Lions come away with some good talent that will help them in the future.
Honolulu Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 10:51 AM   #40
JasonC23
High School Varsity

Cool

I proposed to my wife on Saturday, April 17, 1999...draft day. I actually did it at a surprise birthday party for her (her birthday is the 19th) that I threw at my parents' house. Second most memorable part of the day? Trying to not miss a pick as my dad and I frantically drove around for last-minute party items. "OK, we'll sit in the car in the Baker's Square parking lot until the next pick, and we should be able to get the pie and be back in the car before the pick after that..."

Topping that, our first child is due Sunday, April 27, the second day of this year's draft. My wife has already declared that the draft WILL be on TV before and after the birth if it happens that day or the day before. She's so awesome.