Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-14-2003, 03:30 PM   #1
Ragone
Pro Rookie

Rumor Has it (Roy williams)

That he is going to announce he's leaving for North Carolina in the next few minutes.. we'll see

Update: North Carolina has sent a plane to Kc to pick up Roy.. bye bye

Last edited by Ragone : 04-14-2003 at 03:51 PM.
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 03:33 PM   #2
cincyreds
High School Varsity

He needs to stay at Kansas, man he does.

Just my honest opinion.

He's built a solid foundation at Kansas too.
Old 04-14-2003, 03:52 PM   #3
TroyF
Coordinator

cincy,

He needs to do what's best for him and his family. He has built up a terrific program at Kansas, but if his heart is in North Carolina he needs to take that chance.

I think to many of us get caught up into what "we" feel a coach or athlete should do. (Jordan should have stayed retired, Emmitt shouldn't play for Arizona, etc.) I think we often overlook the human equation when making these statements.

Roy loves North Carolina, has an offseason home there, enjoys golf and is great friends with Dean Smith. . . there aren't many negatives there. He loves Kansas, has a great program there and has many dear friends at KU. . . there aren't many negatives there either.

I think he's in a win/win. I could care less where he ends up. I have a feeling we'll be seeing him in more Final Fours no matter where that ends up being.

TroyF
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 03:55 PM   #4
MrBug708
Head Coach

Kansas is gonna go down.

Roy did cancel two visits to recruits that were scheduled for this week.

Omar Wilkes and David Padgette, come on down to UCLA
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 03:57 PM   #5
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

From all the radio here, it sounds like it's pretty much certain he's leaving but who knows with him sometimes. Right now, he's meeting with the players. Either way, glad he was the coach and I'd like to see him here until he retires or dies or whatever but the man's gotta do what the man's gotta do. Regardless, we'll be losing one of the, hands down, couple of best coaches in the country.

Not only that but we blew out our AD in an attempt to keep him (he had such a fun leaving speech- filled with venom). The best rumor floating around at the moment is that Bill Self is interested in the job here if Williams leaves (hell, he's been throwing himself at the program). Regardless KU has a good shot of landing another good coach but no one is Roy Williams.

The only sad part is that all of this takes away from how great the team did this year. However, considering how everyone reacted last yeah: I heard a lot of "only final four" which makes me want to just smack people silly but if I smacked everyone silly on campus I wanted to, I'd have sore hands and would have hundreds of accounts of assault on my record. We had a great year and a ton of the credit goes to Roy Williams.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 03:58 PM   #6
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Granted, the radio is really interesting to listen to becuase things are happening at such a frantic pace. Unfortunately, it's really taking away from a Physics test I should really be studying hard for right now.

SI

Old 04-14-2003, 04:03 PM   #7
Ragone
Pro Rookie

Roy Williams Just announced he's leaving In not so many words...

And he announced a news conference to be held in Eastern Standard time...

Last edited by Ragone : 04-14-2003 at 04:05 PM.
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 04:07 PM   #8
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, 9:30 ET at Carolina, I believe. I think that's a pretty telling sign. Supposedly he is boarding a jet and heading there as we speak.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 04-14-2003 at 04:08 PM.
Old 04-14-2003, 04:08 PM   #9
Craptacular
College Starter

Press conference at 8:00 PM CDT tonight, according to the University Daily Kansan.

edit: Heh, they changed it to 8:30 when I hit "reload".

Last edited by Craptacular : 04-14-2003 at 04:09 PM.
Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 04:09 PM   #10
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I'm not sure I trust the UDK. It's good for toilet paper and that's about it. Still, the news is relatively accurate.

SI

Old 04-14-2003, 04:14 PM   #11
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally posted by sterlingice
Yeah, 9:30 ET at Carolina, I believe. I think that's a pretty telling sign. Supposedly he is boarding a jet and heading there as we speak.

SI

But wouldn't it be just about the funniest thing in the world for him to fly to UNC and give a press conference announcing that he is staying at KS? Heck, I'm a UNC fan and I want him to do that just for the comedy value.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 04:29 PM   #12
User #2735
n00b

http://www.sportingnews.com/cbasketb...14/468808.html

"After a 31-minute meeting with his Kansas players Monday afternoon, a teary Williams emerged from Allen Fieldhouse and told a group of about 50 reporters, "I know it's hard for you guys to understand, but there will be a news conference at 9:30 Eastern time."

He's gone.
User #2735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 04:34 PM   #13
Buzzbee
College Starter

Errrrrr!!!!!! Dammit! My beloved Yellow Jackets just witnessed the departure of one of the best bench coaches in the country from arch-rival Georgia. What JOY! And now Roy Williams is coming to UNC. What a PISSER! Damn you Roy Williams!!
Old 04-14-2003, 04:49 PM   #14
Craptacular
College Starter

I just think it's funny to see two different angles on the story, from CNNSI and ESPN. I had both of them loaded in separate browser windows about 15 minutes ago, and neither had any info, other than ESPN saying he was going to meet with his players. A few minutes ago, I reloaded both. ESPN has the lead story saying Roy is leaving, and CNN put a link up saying "Jayhawks' Williams remains mum on future". CNN's story has the quote "I know it's hard for you guys to understand", but left out the part about referring to the news conference in eastern time.

Last edited by Craptacular : 04-14-2003 at 04:49 PM.
Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 04:55 PM   #15
Radii
Head Coach

This is the best thing to happen to UNC since the day they beat Colorado in the 2nd round of the NCAA tournament to give Dean Smith his record breaking win.

Trying to come up with something more profound to say but I can't, as a bleeding carolina blue lifelong fan, in every sense of the word "fanatic", I really cannot express exactly how happy it makes me to think about North Carolina's basketball future.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 04:57 PM   #16
Anrhydeddu
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
"I know it's hard for you guys to understand, but there will be a news conference at 9:30 Eastern time."

Yeah, it's really hard for the media pukes to understand that there will be a news conference.
Anrhydeddu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 05:06 PM   #17
NoMyths
Poet in Residence

NoMyths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 06:38 PM   #18
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally posted by Buzzbee
Errrrrr!!!!!! Dammit! My beloved Yellow Jackets just witnessed the departure of one of the best bench coaches in the country from arch-rival Georgia. What JOY! And now Roy Williams is coming to UNC. What a PISSER! Damn you Roy Williams!!

If it makes the Jackets mad.....

HAPPY HAPPY JOY JOY! HAPPY HAPPY JOY JOY!
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 08:25 PM   #19
dacman
College Benchwarmer

I can't see how a non-partisan could be upset about Roy Williams leaving KU. UNC is his alma-mater for christsake, and I'm sure there's a lot of affinity there. The timing is as good as it will ever be, both for leaving KU and for coming in at UNC. Not only that, it's Roy's last chance at UNC -- he turns them down again, they'll never offer again. I think he would've been crazy not to go.
Old 04-14-2003, 08:35 PM   #20
MrBug708
Head Coach

Personally, I think Roy Williams is perfect for UNC. I mean, what coach had more talent and could never win it other then Dean Smith. I mean, it took Perkins, Worthy, and MJ to win a title. Look at Roy. He was never able to win the big one either when he has had excellent players. No better match for UNC

Kansas fans are acting rather naive though. Roy has always had his heart on UNC. He didn't go before because he had a Final 4 caliber team and UNC had crap. Roy wants to win an NC pretty badly and moving to UNC would have been a step backwards in his quest
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 10:18 PM   #21
Buzzbee
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by GrantDawg

If it makes the Jackets mad.....

HAPPY HAPPY JOY JOY! HAPPY HAPPY JOY JOY!

Heh. Comparing my dismay about Williams to my joy over Georiga's woes is about like comparing MY post count to QuikSand's. Dere ain't nooooo comparison.

Now, if we could only get rid of Richt.
Old 04-14-2003, 10:19 PM   #22
GrantDawg

Quote:
Now, if we could only get rid of Richt.

Not going to happen, bucky. Just get used to losing.
Old 04-14-2003, 10:29 PM   #23
Buzzbee
College Starter

Quote:
Not going to happen, bucky. Just get used to losing.

Ok, but just as long as you promise it won't be 51-7.
Old 04-14-2003, 10:31 PM   #24
MylesKnight
College Benchwarmer

DAMN!! And I was just starting to get use to these Big Dances with no Tar Heels included.

Why did we have to go and ruin a good thing? Damn You Roy Williams!!
Old 04-15-2003, 07:50 AM   #25
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally posted by MrBug708
Roy did cancel two visits to recruits that were scheduled for this week.

Omar Wilkes and David Padgette, come on down to UCLA

Those guys are not recruits, they are signees. They will not be playing for UCLA next year. If Kansas releases them from their letters of intent, they will have to sit out one year before playing elsewhere. If Kansas does not release them, they have to sit out two years.

EDIT: grammar

Last edited by Samdari : 04-15-2003 at 07:50 AM.
Samdari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 07:54 AM   #26
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
Ok, but just as long as you promise it won't be 51-7.

The threadjack is on...

I have a buddy who went to Tech (in fact we went to that 51-7 game together last year). Every time he calls and I notice it's him on the caller ID, I pick up the phone and answer, "51 to 7."

I wonder why he doesn't call that often any more.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 07:58 AM   #27
GrantDawg

It is fun to pick on the Techies. Sadly, the only Tech fans I know root for them half-heartedly.
Old 04-15-2003, 08:53 AM   #28
Celeval
Pro Starter

Quote:
It is fun to pick on the Techies. Sadly, the only Tech fans I know root for them half-heartedly.

Wrong.

Yeah, yeah, yeah... 51-7. But granted, it was a gimmie win. A rebuilding program playing walkons due to injury against a team with NC aspirations? You should have been embarressed if it was any closer. I do like that in what was arguably the best regular (*cough*) season for Georgia hoops we still won 83-77. I can't wait for the 3-game baseball series - home and home, with the rubber match at Turner Field.

Are we going to beat you in FB this year? Who knows... I think you'll be weaker, especially defensively in the middle. I think we'll be better offensively than last season, especially if Hollings comes back at anywhere near full strength. Too early to call, too much can happen between now and then although I'm sure you'll be favored. It's all about patience.

Besides, there's only one football stat that really matters.

4 (1917, 1928, 1952, 1990) to 2 (1942, 1980)

Talk to me when Richt wins a couple of National Championships.

Kevin
[Season Ticket Holder]
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 11:18 AM   #29
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally posted by Celeval
Wrong.

Yeah, yeah, yeah... 51-7. But granted, it was a gimmie win. A rebuilding program playing walkons due to injury against a team with NC aspirations? You should have been embarressed if it was any closer. I do like that in what was arguably the best regular (*cough*) season for Georgia hoops we still won 83-77. I can't wait for the 3-game baseball series - home and home, with the rubber match at Turner Field.

Are we going to beat you in FB this year? Who knows... I think you'll be weaker, especially defensively in the middle. I think we'll be better offensively than last season, especially if Hollings comes back at anywhere near full strength. Too early to call, too much can happen between now and then although I'm sure you'll be favored. It's all about patience.

Besides, there's only one football stat that really matters.

4 (1917, 1928, 1952, 1990) to 2 (1942, 1980)

Talk to me when Richt wins a couple of National Championships.

Kevin
[Season Ticket Holder]

I can't talk to you any longer?

I hope Hollins does come back close to full strength. He looked so good last year. I really like it better when we beat you on your up years.
Old 04-15-2003, 11:35 AM   #30
Buzzbee
College Starter

Quote:
I can't talk to you any longer?

I hope HollinGs does come back close to full strength. He looked so good last year. I really like it better when we beat you on your up years.

Hmmm. Seems like the University (sic) of Georgia hasn't been able to beat Tech during Tech's "up" years.

It does seem like the ThreadJack is on. Sorry Ragone, but this has evolved into a Georgia - Georgia Tech feud.
Old 04-15-2003, 11:55 AM   #31
GrantDawg

Lifetime record of 53-36-5. So you're saying yall haven't had too many up years?
Old 04-15-2003, 12:18 PM   #32
Buzzbee
College Starter

Any year we beat Georgia is an up year. Even if we're 1-9.
Old 04-15-2003, 12:26 PM   #33
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
Lifetime record of 53-36-5. So you're saying yall haven't had too many up years?

Boo-yah!
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 01:10 PM   #34
Celeval
Pro Starter

Quote:

Refer back to the National Championship count.

Oh, and who's coach is it that has the award named after him? Heis-something?

Kevin
[Damn, this feels good. Usually these threads don't pop up until at least August]
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote