Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-14-2003, 03:09 PM   #1
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Offensive QOTM

I was just reading another thread and noticed the sig of albionmoon. It says:

Quote:
This board, as part of the public face it presents to the world, displays "Make a proclamation that if anyone fucks with us we bomb Mecca, then see if they try and step" as a Quote of the Moment. I acknowledge both that America has the military might with which to credibly make this threat, and that the many here who agree with making the above threat have an undisputed right to hold that belief. I would simply like to go on record as disagreeing with it..

I have to say that I never really pay attention to the QOTM, but when I looked sure enough it is there. That really is an offensive statement. It may be time to purge the database again.

GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 03:35 PM   #2
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

I personally don't think it's that offensive, and I sincerely hope we don't start censoring QOTMs for political correctness.
Old 04-14-2003, 03:39 PM   #3
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Taken on it's own, without any context, I think it is offensive.

Of course, so are a large percentage of the other quotes.
Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 03:42 PM   #4
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally posted by Draft Dodger
I personally don't think it's that offensive, and I sincerely hope we don't start censoring QOTMs for political correctness.

I'm not talking about poltical correctness. I'm talking about a quote that is just down right offensive. This is equal to a racially offensive quote.
Old 04-14-2003, 03:52 PM   #5
John Galt
Pro Starter

The quote isn't funny and advocates genocide. This isn't about censorship - leave the post on the board - just don't make it a QOTM.
Old 04-14-2003, 04:05 PM   #6
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I'm more offended by the poor attempt at humor than by the content. Inserting hip phrases like "try and step" doesn't automatically make a mundane statement fizz-unny-izzle.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 04:07 PM   #7
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
offensive quotes to remove from page one:

I like my women chunky. I like my men meaty. - Makes fun of fat people. Get rid of it

$1,000,099.99 for a vagina carrot? Either someone's playing a cruel joke or we have one really lonely millionaire. - SAYS VAGINA!

One must not underestimate the power of Chinese Tickle Torture. - Links the Chinese with torture. There's an unneeded sterotype.

One day I'D like have an intern. One who could give really good blowjobs and talk baseball. Not at the same time. That would be weird. - Diminishes Interns everywhere.

I vote we use every illegal weapon we find in Iraq on France. - Supports hurting the French. Hey, those guys are people too!

I tried to be cocky AND funny, but, like usual, my cock was just too large. - he said ccccc COCK

If I woke up as a woman, I'd want my control over my emotions back. - I am sure women find this offensive.

Chicks dig the pulling guard pancake blocks... - PANCAKES!
Old 04-14-2003, 04:08 PM   #8
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
dola,

I would list more, but my tears make it hard to read the quotes.
Old 04-14-2003, 04:12 PM   #9
Swaggs
Coordinator

Agreed with John Galt.

It doesn't need to be purged from the board, but should not be a quote of the moment.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 04:18 PM   #10
GrantDawg

So, if someone says that they support the killing of all black people in a funny way, we should make that a QOTM?
Old 04-14-2003, 04:20 PM   #11
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

I've been in favor of culling the quote herd for awhile now.

I'm not a big fan of seeing "Subby is Greek for ham-fisted cunt" emblazoned across the top of the BB, as well as some of the other ones. That's not censorship, that's my opinion as a member of the FOFC community.

Ultimately, though, I guess it rests with SkyDog.
Old 04-14-2003, 04:21 PM   #12
BreizhManu
College Benchwarmer

what if we change Mecca by Jerusalem ? you still don't find it offensive ?
BreizhManu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 04:23 PM   #13
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Quote:
Originally posted by GrantDawg
So, if someone says that they support the killing of all black people in a funny way, we should make that a QOTM?

how funny?
Old 04-14-2003, 04:24 PM   #14
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally posted by Fritz
how funny?

Somehow, I find your response funnier than anything I've seen in the QOTM.
Old 04-14-2003, 04:32 PM   #15
Daimyo
College Starter

I really don't like the QOTM feature here. Very few of the quotes are funny or meaningful out of context.

Last edited by Daimyo : 04-14-2003 at 04:32 PM.
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 04:35 PM   #16
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:

I find it very difficult to be offended by what someone says on an internet message board.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 04:36 PM   #17
McSweeny
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Fidatelo
I find it very difficult to be offended by what someone says on an internet message board.

yes i agree
McSweeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 05:14 PM   #18
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

I had the word 'fuck' in my sig at one time and a mod asked me (told me) to remove it. Hopefully the same is done in this situation, regardless of my thoughts on the subject.

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 05:39 PM   #19
sabotai
General Manager

"I had the word 'fuck' in my sig at one time and a mod asked me (told me) to remove it."

Damn, that's fucked up.

And I agree that it should be removed. I've seen other QOTM's that were far less offensive that were removed. Now, I'm not SkyDog, so I don't know if he removed them because they were offensive or because he didn't find them funny. But the fact remains that most people seem to want the quote gone, so he should make it gone...

And of course, I wonder who the racist bastard who put that quote there is.

DISCLAIMER: That last statement was a joke.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 05:41 PM   #20
couriers

I would like to see the QOTM removed since I can't have the option to remove it for my own personal preferences. This is a feature that should not be forced on people. I don't find them funny, interesting or necessary.
Old 04-14-2003, 05:51 PM   #21
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by sabotai
And I agree that it should be removed. I've seen other QOTM's that were far less offensive that were removed. Now, I'm not SkyDog, so I don't know if he removed them because they were offensive or because he didn't find them funny. But the fact remains that most people seem to want the quote gone, so he should make it gone...

And of course, I wonder who the racist bastard who put that quote there is.

DISCLAIMER: That last statement was a joke.

Either way, I don't care if it's removed or not. If you've read most the shit I've written you'd probably know there was nothing racist or overly offensive. There isn't much I find really offensive, though I can understand cases where something could be considered offensive to someone who is more sensative about such subjects.

Hell, I didn't even think someone would put that up for quote of the moment, so it really doesn't matter to me if it stays or goes.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 05:58 PM   #22
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Quote:
But the fact remains that most people seem to want the quote gone, so he should make it gone...

A fair test I suppose, but a majority of who? There are only 12 or so people in this thread.
Old 04-14-2003, 06:09 PM   #23
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Well, frankly, I personally find that quote offensive, but not because it has any sort of "racist" connotation. I find it no more racist than "only in America can a poor black kid grow up to be a rich white woman." Both refer to race, but neither is racist, imho. I DO, however, prefer that there not be vulgarities in the QOTM, in signatures or in thread titles. However, this isn't a board that I started up myself, so I don't want to impose MY morality on the board in its entirety.

Since I took over the board, I have sat down a couple of times to write out a set of rules, but I've gotta tell you, it is VERY difficult to do so on an existing board that usually polices itself.

Since we're discussing this in this thread, let me just throw out what I mentioned for discussion: How WOULD everyone feel about a "no vulgarities in thread titles, QOTM's or signatures" rule? (I'm defining "vulgarities" as the more "hardcore" words--"shit", '"fuck", "blowjob", "pussy", "cock", "dick", etc. and any of their derivatives.) How does that grab y'all?
Old 04-14-2003, 06:15 PM   #24
sabotai
General Manager

"A fair test I suppose, but a majority of who? There are only 12 or so people in this thread."

Obviously not the majority of all registered users...to use an anology, only those who vote have their voices count. So I guess in this case, the majority of those who bothered to reply. Those who don't reply, I take that as a sign as they counldn't care less either way.

SkyDog, I would agree with that.
Old 04-14-2003, 06:21 PM   #25
couriers

You really can't just censor certain words because there has to be an intention behind them to be considered offensive. In other words, what if a members name was Dick and we said that he couldn't use that word on the board?
Old 04-14-2003, 06:25 PM   #26
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
"A fair test I suppose, but a majority of who? There are only 12 or so people in this thread."

Obviously not the majority of all registered users...to use an anology, only those who vote have their voices count. So I guess in this case, the majority of those who bothered to reply. Those who don't reply, I take that as a sign as they counldn't care less either way.

SkyDog, I would agree with that.

Well, I don't find it offensive (but I know the context of the quote in the thread).
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 06:26 PM   #27
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Quote:
Originally posted by SkyDog
Since we're discussing this in this thread, let me just throw out what I mentioned for discussion: How WOULD everyone feel about a "no vulgarities in thread titles, QOTM's or signatures" rule? (I'm defining "vulgarities" as the more "hardcore" words--"shit", '"fuck", "blowjob", "pussy", "cock", "dick", etc. and any of their derivatives.) How does that grab y'all?

I am alright with that, even though it eliminates half of my vocabulary and almost all of the words I can spell.

Quote:
So I guess in this case, the majority of those who bothered to reply. Those who don't reply, I take that as a sign as they counldn't care less either way.

Come on Sabbi, think about that for a sec....
Old 04-14-2003, 06:29 PM   #28
couriers

Quote:
A fair test I suppose, but a majority of who? There are only 12 or so people in this thread.

Are we really to expect that every one of the 2,756 members would have visited this thread since it's incarnation only 3 1/2 hours ago? I hate to say this but maybe a poll is in order.
Old 04-14-2003, 06:29 PM   #29
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
I am alright with that, even though it eliminates half of my vocabulary and almost all of the words I can spell.

You too?

Damn, I better not have to learn new words. They tried to do that to me in school and it really didn't go over to well.
Old 04-14-2003, 06:30 PM   #30
Airhog
Captain Obvious

Quote:
offensive quotes to remove from page one:

I heart Fritz!

Thread Killer extraordinaire

Yay! its football season once again!
Airhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 06:31 PM   #31
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by couriers
Are we really to expect that every one of the 2,756 members would have visited this thread since it's incarnation only 3 1/2 hours ago? I hate to say this but maybe a poll is in order.

A poll to see how offensive people think I can be? Well, I can't say I'm all that surprised, except that it took this long.
Old 04-14-2003, 06:37 PM   #32
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Quote:

I think trusting in the benevolent two headed monster that we call moderators is good enough. Skydog and Ryan have done well at taking action when action is needed. No sense in fucking that up by forming a democracy.
Old 04-14-2003, 06:48 PM   #33
BFleming
H.S. Freshman Team

I guess then to sum it up, as George Carlin would most likely suggest-- "The 7 words youcan't say at FOFC"...or something like that...
BFleming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 06:54 PM   #34
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally posted by BFleming
I guess then to sum it up, as George Carlin would most likely suggest-- "The 7 words youcan't say at FOFC"...or something like that...

Notice, only in the title or QOTM. You can curse all you want in your post. I don't know why that would be a problem.
Old 04-14-2003, 06:58 PM   #35
BFleming
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Notice, only in the title or QOTM. You can curse all you want in your post. I don't know why that would be a problem.

No fucking problem for me
BFleming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 07:02 PM   #36
CAsterling
High School JV

Quote:
Originally posted by KWhit
Well, I don't find it offensive (but I know the context of the quote in the thread).

I don't find it offensive, and I don't know the context of the quote in the thread - I guess I'm just harder to offend than most.

Got to bring out that classic argument I heard around here so often in the last few months - First Amendment Rights to freedom of Speech
Old 04-14-2003, 07:30 PM   #37
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:

Well, frankly, I personally find that quote offensive, but not because you are one lame bastard and that shit has any sort of "racist" connotation. I find that bastard no motherfucking more racist than "only in America can a fuckin' poor black kid grow up to be a rich white fucking bitch." Both refer to race, but neither is racist, imho. You are a shitbag. I DO, however, prefer that there not be vulgarities in the fucking QOTM, in signatures or in thread titles. What's wrong with you? However, this bullshit isn't a board that I started up myself, so god-damn I don't want to fuckin' impose MY morality on the fucking board in its entirety.

Since I took over the fucking board, I have sat down a couple of times to fuckin' fuck out a set of rules, but I've gotta tell you and your monkey, that shit is VERY difficult to fuckin' do so god-damn on an existing board that usually polices itself. Strap this to your pisshole: you are a fuckhead.

Since we're discussing this bullshit in this bullshit thread, let my stupid ass just throw out fuckin' what I mentioned for discussion: How in the hell WOULD all fuckheads feel about a "no motherfucking vulgarities in thread titles, QOTM's or signatures" rule? Rhetoric doesn't suit us, though. Wanna get boned? (I'm defining "vulgarities" as the fucking more "hardcore" words--"shit", '"fuck", "blowjob", "pussy", "cock", "dick", etc. You are a fuckmonster. and any of their derivatives.) How in the hell does that grab y'all?

well, a bit harsh (and salty), but I agree with the rules.
Old 04-14-2003, 07:40 PM   #38
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Quote:
Originally posted by Draft Dodger
well, a bit harsh (and salty), but I agree with the rules.

There is a QOTM in there for sure!
Old 04-14-2003, 07:47 PM   #39
SplitPersonality1
College Benchwarmer

Sounds like a good rule to me.
SplitPersonality1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 07:47 PM   #40
couriers

Quote:
Originally posted by mckerney
A poll to see how offensive people think I can be? Well, I can't say I'm all that surprised, except that it took this long.

Just so you know, no I am not a Dixie Chick, I didn't realize that the quote was from you. I also don't have any problem with the quote. I just don't like having the QOTM without the personal option to turn it off, which I would personally do.
Old 04-14-2003, 07:50 PM   #41
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Quote:
Just so you know, no I am not a Dixie Chick

So much for my nightly erotic FOFC fantasy.
Old 04-14-2003, 07:53 PM   #42
mckerney
Coordinator

No worries, got no problem with it. Like I said, I could understand how someone could be offended by it, especially out of context and if they didn't know it was ment tounge-in-cheek.

And also as I said before, I got no problem with it being removed from QOTM.
Old 04-14-2003, 07:55 PM   #43
couriers

Quote:
So much for my nightly erotic FOFC fantasy.

If you have nightly erotic FOFC fantasies then you might just have a serious problem.
Old 04-14-2003, 08:01 PM   #44
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Quote:
If you have nightly erotic FOFC fantasies then you might just have a serious problem.

but I might not.

Look, I know it sounds a little wierd, but how could you resist thoughts of Draft Dodger's toes?
Old 04-14-2003, 08:12 PM   #45
sabotai
General Manager

"Well, I don't find it offensive (but I know the context of the quote in the thread)."

I never said I found it personally offensive either. But I can see how someone could find it offensive. I'm sure if you were a muslim, you wouldn't like it too much.

"Come on Sabbi, think about that for a sec...."

I confess stupidity. Please explain it to me.
Old 04-14-2003, 08:17 PM   #46
bbor
Pro Starter

I'm pretty sure if you hit refresh...the QOTM will change to something less offensive.......Unless you find Kleenex and girlfriends offensive

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 08:24 PM   #47
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally posted by bbor
I'm pretty sure if you hit refresh...the QOTM will change to something less offensive.......Unless you find Kleenex and girlfriends offensive

The main thing offensive about that quote is that it is the main one I've ever seen. Retirement might be in order.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 04-14-2003 at 08:24 PM.
Old 04-14-2003, 09:37 PM   #48
Craptacular
College Starter

Quote:

Well, there goes my sig and my one QOTM.
Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 09:46 PM   #49
couriers

Quote:
but I might not.

Look, I know it sounds a little wierd, but how could you resist thoughts of Draft Dodger's toes?

So you're now looking at other men's toes are you? Aren’t mine good enough for you anymore?
Old 04-14-2003, 09:53 PM   #50
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Um, save the colossal squid!