Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-14-2003, 07:33 AM   #1
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Don't Forget - Family Guy DVD on April 15!

Woo-hoo!

I actually ordered this in January from Amazon, thinking that it would get here on Tuesday. I haven't ordered anything from Amazon in 2-3 years, but with music - back then, at least - pre-ordered CDs would get shipped on the Friday before release, and I'd either get them on Tuesday, or sometimes even on Monday, the day before release.

Not this time.

So, I canceled my order and I'm going to go down to Best Buy and pick it up on Tuesday. Is there a reason why people use Amazon? I don't see one.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 08:21 AM   #2
Calis
College Starter

Ohh, thanks for the reminder, I'd forgotten about this...time to place my order.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 10:03 AM   #3
iceberg414
Mascot

i ordered mine in march, but recently checked the ship date...April 22?! not to be delivered until like may 5?! i also canceled mine and am heading to best buy tomorrow.
Old 04-14-2003, 10:05 AM   #4
Easy Mac

i'd get it, but i'm still saving up for the sportsnight DVD set... I need more than a minimum wage school job for only 2 hours a day.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 10:06 AM   #5
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Is there a reason why people use Amazon? I don't see one.

It is usually cheaper and you don't have to go out and buy it . Very good for the more harder to find stuff.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 10:06 AM   #6
Craptacular
College Starter

Everybody sing!

"It seems today, that all you see, is violence and movies and sex on TV" ...
Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 10:16 AM   #7
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

It is usually cheaper and you don't have to go out and buy it . Very good for the more harder to find stuff.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 10:23 AM   #8
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

Easy Mac,

I bought the Sportsnight collection and it's great. The only thing that bums me out is that there's no commentary at all. You'd think they could have plopped Josh Charles and that Sabrina chick in a room to talk about the series. After all, they don't seem to be doing much these days.
Old 04-14-2003, 10:47 AM   #9
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally posted by ISiddiqui

Well, in this case, Best Buy has it for a couple dollars less, and the S/H and tax are pretty much a wash, so I'll deal with driving to the store to get it cheaper AND on the release date.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 04-14-2003, 11:21 AM   #10
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Re: Don't Forget - Family Guy DVD on April 15!

Quote:
Originally posted by Ksyrup

The aforementioned "cheaper" and "easier to find difficult" things is true. If I want a DVD, I don't have look through a bunch of DVD's in say the "Action" section, only to find out that Best Buy considers said-movie "Sci-Fi/Fantasy" or a "Drama." Ridiculous.

Also, lines and people. I hate waiting in lines and I tend to hate large masses of people. I like coming into work and seeing that big ole Amazon.com box sitting on my desk, goodies awaiting.

It's all about convenience.
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 11:24 AM   #11
Ksyrup

I understand that, I purchase 75% of my CDs online, but that's because I usually can't find them at the store. But, I also want them as soon as possible. And in this case, despite pre-ordering in January, it doesn't appear my DVDs were anywhere near being ready to be shipped. That's poor.

As for going to stores, I still enjoy browsing for CDs at stores. But when I know what i want won't be there (which is almost always the case), then I order online.
Old 04-14-2003, 11:27 AM   #12
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
I understand that, I purchase 75% of my CDs online, but that's because I usually can't find them at the store. But, I also want them as soon as possible. And in this case, despite pre-ordering in January, it doesn't appear my DVDs were anywhere near being ready to be shipped. That's poor.

As for going to stores, I still enjoy browsing for CDs at stores. But when I know what i want won't be there (which is almost always the case), then I order online.

There certainly is something to said for browsing for browsing sake. Some of the best purchases are made like that. Just seeing some interesting CD, book, what have you. Harder to properly "browse" for things on the internet (no pun intended).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 12:37 PM   #13
Calis
College Starter

Just ran to Best Buy for lunch, and guess what I brought home? Woo hoo!

Now I have to manage the last half of the day before I can get down to business.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 01:15 PM   #14
Ksyrup

Me too!

And Sundancer will be happy - I bought my daughter a Care Bears movie!
Old 04-15-2003, 01:52 PM   #15
Craptacular
College Starter

I went to Best Buy over lunch, and walked back to find a big, empty section of shelving with a Family Guy $35.99 sign in front of it. Noooooooooooo!!! Then I asked a worker, and he looked it up in the system. He said they had a few more, and sent another guy back to get them. Yes!!! The guy said they had put at least 30 out so far today and that they're flying off the shelves. If this show was so damn popular, how come it got cancelled?!?!?!
Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 01:58 PM   #16
Rich1033
High School Varsity

Re: Re: Don't Forget - Family Guy DVD on April 15!

Quote:
Originally posted by Honolulu_Blue
The aforementioned "cheaper" and "easier to find difficult" things is true. If I want a DVD, I don't have look through a bunch of DVD's in say the "Action" section, only to find out that Best Buy considers said-movie "Sci-Fi/Fantasy" or a "Drama." Ridiculous.

Also, lines and people. I hate waiting in lines and I tend to hate large masses of people. I like coming into work and seeing that big ole Amazon.com box sitting on my desk, goodies awaiting.

It's all about convenience.

I agree, but after my last purchase from best buy I will not be buying online for a while. Six movies for a little over $100 were ordered and shipped. However when they got to my local shipping center they disappeared never to be see again. So I got impatient, tracked the order and then went over to the post office to ask them what is going on. They tell me they dont have it and I will have to contact the shipper. Fine. I call Best buy and tell them what happened and they tell me how order tracking is so inaccurate and they will not do anything for 10 business days. Now I work at UPS and know that tracking is not really inaccurate at all. If it was scanned into Oregon, Ohio then it was in Oregon, Ohio. If it was sent someplace else after it arrived there then it would still eventually be scanned after floating around for the week. It was stolen/lost, period. After talking to some girl forever I finally gave up and just said I will call them back after the specified waiting period.

Sorry for the rant, but tomorrow I will finally call and hopefully get this taken care of. Needless to say it would have been much easier to just get my butt up and go to bestbuy to get the movies myself.
Rich1033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 02:03 PM   #17
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally posted by Craptacular
I went to Best Buy over lunch, and walked back to find a big, empty section of shelving with a Family Guy $35.99 sign in front of it. Noooooooooooo!!! Then I asked a worker, and he looked it up in the system. He said they had a few more, and sent another guy back to get them. Yes!!! The guy said they had put at least 30 out so far today and that they're flying off the shelves. If this show was so damn popular, how come it got cancelled?!?!?!

It looked like I got the 5th one by noon in Tallahassee. That's a pretty good sales pace.

Fox has canceled a lot of good shows. They expect them to all do well off the bat, and then when they don't, they move them around the schedule making it difficult for even fans to keep track of. Then they shelve them for 6 months, people forget about them, and they bring them back to - not surprisingly - even less response. What a bunch of Morans.
Old 04-15-2003, 03:43 PM   #18
Bad-example
College Starter

I believe Family Guy will be on the Cartoon Network soon as part of their post-11pm programming.

Just a heads up for those that can't afford the dvd.
Drinking like a lumberjack and singing Delta Dawn
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 03:50 PM   #19
RonnieDobbs
High School JV

Don't know if this is common knowledge amongst you all, but there was an episode that Fox didn't air, called "When You Wish Upon a Weinstein." Poked fun at Jewish culture, but not any worse than many other Family Guy episodes IMO. I think it'll be on the next DVD but a copy leaked onto usenet last year. You can find it kicking around in the usual places if you're interested.

Those who have the DVDs - what are the extras like? I've seen every episode a ton of times, so I'm more interested in the supplementary material. Commentaries good or bad?

Proud Manager of the BOSTON WYCKYD SCEPTRE
Also attempting to Right The Ship with the Clippers
RonnieDobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 04:36 PM   #20
mckerney
Coordinator

When You Wish Upon a Weinstein, the episode BANNED by FOX. Thats right, BANNED by FOX.

Oh how I wish I actually had money to buy the DVD set, though after I do get it I'll have to set aside some money for when the Season 3 discs come out.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 04:40 PM   #21
Ksyrup

Hey, Check this out!!!!

Volume 2, September 9, 2003
Old 04-15-2003, 04:52 PM   #22
korme
Go Reds

I believe Family Guy will begin airing on Cartoon Network this Easter, April 20th.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 04:58 PM   #23
mckerney
Coordinator

As for other great shows FOX has cancelled recently, Andy Richter Controls the Universe.

By far one of the best shows I had seen in a long time.
Old 04-15-2003, 11:06 PM   #24
SunDancer
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Me too!

And Sundancer will be happy - I bought my daughter a Care Bears movie!

Care Bear Plush Animals are better. Plus, they do come with a video. My girlfriend will be excited about that.
SunDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 07:06 AM   #25
Ksyrup

I watched a couple of episodes last night that I had never seen on TV. Man, what a great show. Even my wife was laughing, and she hates stuff like this.

Someone asked about the commentary. I haven't watched any of it, but the only "featurette" on Disk 4 was what looked like a long commercial (I had never seen all of it before) featuring some quick interviews with some cast members. Pllus, they showed the creator doing the Peter voice, and then he switched to the Brian voice in a split-second. I get a kick out of seeing the actors doing the voices.

It looks like there is commentary on 2-4 episodes on the other three disks, although whether they are enlightening or not, I don't know.
Old 04-18-2003, 05:39 PM   #26
Ragone
Pro Rookie

hehe, picked up the dvd today...

Peter in court.. Judge says "You get 25 years in prison"

"oh no"
"oh no"
"oh no"
Koolaid man"Oh yea!"

i fell off the couch laughing
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2003, 11:56 PM   #27
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by Ragone
hehe, picked up the dvd today...

Peter in court.. Judge says "You get 25 years in prison"

"oh no"
"oh no"
"oh no"
Koolaid man"Oh yea!"

i fell off the couch laughing

But is any of it better than the Badass With the Heart of Gold.

Peter - Do I have any mail?
Mailroom Clerk - (Pulls knife) Stand back, get back or I'll cut you.

Peter - (Walking away, to co-worker) Man, that guy's such a badass.
Co-worker - Oh yeah? Well that 'badass' just gave half his paycheck to orphans. Orphans with diseases!

(Cue happy sensative guy music and zoom on Badass With Heart of Gold.

Episode wise, best one is Let's Go to the Hop. Gotta give up the toad.
Old 04-19-2003, 08:07 AM   #28
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

FTR, Family Guy will air Sundays-Fridays (maybe Thursdays) at 11:30pm EST on Cartoon Network's Adult Swim starting... tomorrow!!!

Oh, and my DVD has been shipped from Sea Coast, DE, and now is sitting in Wilmington, DE for 5 days!!!

~rpi-fan
Old 04-19-2003, 09:43 AM   #29
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

It's a magical time. It's isn't day, it isn't night, and somewhere Scott Baio is plowing a chick he doesn't love.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2003, 10:34 AM   #30
mckerney
Coordinator

Christmas is the day of the year when the ghost of Jesus comes back from the dead to torment people on the Earth. So we all sing Christmas carrols to lull him back to sleep.

Bystander 1: How dare he say that? I have to do something about it!
Bystander 2: There's nothing you can do...
Bystander 1: I guess I'll just have to develop a sense of humor

Last edited by mckerney : 04-19-2003 at 10:59 AM.
Old 04-19-2003, 10:45 AM   #31
RonnieDobbs
High School JV

The scene that had me laughing the hardest when I first saw it:

Olivia: You are the weakest link, goodbye." (laughter)

Stewie: Ha ha ha! Oh gosh that's funny! That's really funny! Do you write your own material? Do you? Because that is so fresh. You are the weakest link goodbye. You know, I've, I've never heard anyone make that joke before. Hmm. You're the first. I've never heard anyone reference, reference that outside the program before. Because that's what she says on the show right? Isn't it? You are the weakest link goodbye. And, and yet you've taken that and used it out of context to insult me in this everyday situation. God what a clever, smart girl you must be, to come up with a joke like that all by yourself. That's so fresh too. Any, any Titanic jokes you want to throw at me too as long as we're hitting these phenomena at the height of their popularity. God you're so funny!"

Proud Manager of the BOSTON WYCKYD SCEPTRE
Also attempting to Right The Ship with the Clippers
RonnieDobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2003, 11:23 AM   #32
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

-Stewie: "So, Olivia, nice day out, huh?"

-Olivia: "You aren't going to fart again, are you?"

(Lois pulls up in her car...)

-Stewie: "Well, I'd love to stay and chat, but you're a total bitch"

That, along with the aforementioned Weakest Link and Kool-Aid bits are my favorites from the show.
Old 04-19-2003, 11:28 AM   #33
korme
Go Reds

Hey get the hell off my lawn- oh, well hello lips legs breasts and ass heh
Old 04-19-2003, 11:45 AM   #34
mckerney
Coordinator

Mission accomplished Peter, we now have a picture of Luke Perry vomiting.

That's no good Brian, gays don't vomit. They're a very clean people, and they have been ever since they came over to this country from France.
Old 04-19-2003, 12:11 PM   #35
korme
Go Reds

Woohoo, mine shipped today!!!