Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-10-2010, 07:04 PM   #1
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Foodie Shows, Spring 2010

Two foodie shows I'm watching this Spring (in addition to the usual Iron Chef America) are Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution and Top Chef Masters, Season 2.

Anybody watching either show?

Jamie Oliver comes on on Friday nights on ABC at 9. There have been 4 episodes so far. I really respect what he's trying to do, though it seems he's doing a lot of stumbling. I don't know how much of it is being played up for TV, but it seems like most of the adult population of Huntington, WV wants him to fail and are actively trying to help him fail. The youth--students at Marshall, some of the high school students, they seem to embrace a chance at change. I've also noticed that in EVERY episode, he's done some variation of an oriental noodle-style stirfry dish. Does he cook anything else? (yes, I know he does)

Top Chef Masters, Season 2 started this past Wednesday at 11, though in theory will move to its regular slot this upcoming week, 10 p.m. ET on Wednesdays. I really liked Season 1 of Top Chef Masters--it was Top Chef, so watching really amazing cooks, but without as much of the drama. These are people who have established restaurants and such, and aren't out to knife eachother in the back. That said, the first episode was kind of meh. I wasn't a fan of the pairs concept, and I really wish they'd stop doing the vending machine/gas station challenge.

/tk

terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 07:06 PM   #2
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

I didn't realize Top Chief Masters started. I'll be catching that for sure. Watched some of the Oliver show last night, and it was "eh".
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 07:16 PM   #3
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post
I've also noticed that in EVERY episode, he's done some variation of an oriental noodle-style stirfry dish. Does he cook anything else? (yes, I know he does)

I'm glad I wasn't the only one thinking that. I believe he focuses on Italian in his restaurants.

I just discovered Sandra Lee. Not because it's great, because you watch in amazement thinking, "How the hell did this woman get a show?" and "How does she stay sober enough to do it?". It's better than any SNL skit.

Last edited by Galaxy : 04-11-2010 at 01:14 AM.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 07:32 PM   #4
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
I just discovered Sandra Lee. Not because it's great, because you watch in amazing thinking, "How the hell did this woman get a show?" and "How does she stay sober enough to do it?". It's better than any SNL skit.

That woman is amazing in all the wrong ways. I like Bourdain's thoughts on Sandra Lee in particular: Guest Blogging: A Bourdain Throwdown | Michael Ruhlman

/tk
Old 04-10-2010, 07:32 PM   #5
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Dola, also http://anthony-bourdain-blog.travelc...id=z5WAktkkSAL

/tk
Old 04-10-2010, 08:44 PM   #6
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

Never trust a cook whose recipe for angel food cake contains the ingredient "1 angel food cake, purchased".
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 08:56 PM   #7
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

yes to both!
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 01:14 AM   #8
Galaxy
Coordinator

It's cocktail time!

I love how one shot to her equals half of the bottle.

My favorite is the "Cocktail Christmas tree":

hxxp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dK21SZoXoa4

Last edited by Galaxy : 04-11-2010 at 01:16 AM.
Old 04-11-2010, 01:37 AM   #9
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

I watched a couple of episodes of Jaime Oliver and really like the show. If I remember to watch it I will.

Sandra Lee always tripped me out, she'll get a recipe from a can and add like a dash of whatever spice to make it her own. That Cocktail Christmas Tree is hilarious... who does that?

Her reaction here is pretty damn funny. It's a frame by frame dissection of her taking a sip of lemonade, heavy cream and vodka:

Last edited by Dodgerchick : 04-11-2010 at 01:39 AM.
Dodgerchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 09:58 PM   #10
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

WTF?

Susur got robbed.

Congrats to Marcus though - nice to see a young guy with a different type of cuisine take it.
Old 06-09-2010, 10:04 PM   #11
Galaxy
Coordinator

I see now they have the "Cooking Channel".
Old 06-09-2010, 10:05 PM   #12
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
WTF?

Susur got robbed.

Congrats to Marcus though - nice to see a young guy with a different type of cuisine take it.

I had a running thing going on Twitter.
Moonen had the kiss of death at the beginning when they showed him saying how much he wanted to win and how he thought he could. That ALWAYS means that that person loses.

Also, Bravo has a fairly typical way of editing that almost always can let you see who wins before the end. Marcus, until the very end, had that win edit.

I'm sad to see Marcus win, though to be honest, I think if I ran into either him OR Susur on the street, I'd want to punch them both in the face. Personality != culinary talent, but I still have no desire to support either Susur or Marcus after watching them on the show.

/tk
Old 06-09-2010, 10:10 PM   #13
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Well, you know, Food Network got rid of all their people that could actually cook, so they had to go somewhere...

/tk
Old 06-09-2010, 10:32 PM   #14
path12
Coordinator

Quote:
I had a running thing going on Twitter.
Moonen had the kiss of death at the beginning when they showed him saying how much he wanted to win and how he thought he could. That ALWAYS means that that person loses.

Also, Bravo has a fairly typical way of editing that almost always can let you see who wins before the end. Marcus, until the very end, had that win edit.

I'm sad to see Marcus win, though to be honest, I think if I ran into either him OR Susur on the street, I'd want to punch them both in the face. Personality != culinary talent, but I still have no desire to support either Susur or Marcus after watching them on the show.

/tk

I really got to like Susur as the season went on. Marcus, not so much. What I really like about Top Chef Masters is how much the chefs respect each other. It's a nice change from the usual bullshit on reality shows.
Old 06-10-2010, 12:14 AM   #15
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by path12 View Post
I really got to like Susur as the season went on. Marcus, not so much. What I really like about Top Chef Masters is how much the chefs respect each other. It's a nice change from the usual bullshit on reality shows.

I really liked all of the Chefs. I don't think there's one that I'd punch in the face (to use TK's example). Susar seems very driven and very confident yes, but that's a necessary trait in a very accomplished chef. Marcus too - although he also has that "fun loving" or more playful side if you want to call it that.
Old 06-10-2010, 08:24 AM   #16
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by path12 View Post

See, I didn't get that level of respect this time around that I definitely saw in the first TCM. This time, you saw Susur (in particular) being particularly disrespectful in terms of not asking before assuming things were garbage, taking up a lot of space (people repeatedly complained that he was using 3 station's worth of space, that he was all over the place..nevermind that he apparently doesn't understand the concept of keeping things at least semi-clean--what WAS that thing when he just flung the rice ball (? or whatever it was) off his station), and he was kind of an a$$ (saying Tony should do The Sopranos), nevermind that he was whiny (I don't speak much English, I'm not native...I'm sorry bud, you moved to Canada in 1978, you've had ample time).

Marcus, too, was more of a prick than not. One shining example of this was in the preliminary rounds, when that woman forgot her stew and everybody was giving her a hand to help her finish her dish...except Marcus. He actually said to the woman who he beat, "Next time, it's all about you...you don't have to help others."

If there are 2 chefs that have been on this show that LEAST represent the respect for other chefs that I expected to see based on last year's show, it's Marcus and Susur.

/tk
Old 06-10-2010, 08:50 AM   #17
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:

I believe it replaced the Fine Living Network.
Old 06-10-2010, 09:12 AM   #18
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Well, you know, Food Network got rid of all their people that could actually cook, so they had to go somewhere...

/tk

Same company. Anyway there are many people that can cook on FN, just not people that snobby food people like, because they don't cook they way they want them to.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 10:13 AM   #19
MacroGuru
Coordinator

One thing I am going to try and do if I have the time and the money to do it is blog about two festivals in Buffalo this year...The Taste of Buffalo and The Buffalo Wing festival...problem is, the price per sample is through the damn rough and I can easily spend a ton of money here just to get a solid aspect of the blog....Who knows though if work schedule will agree with it (And I have other important things with vacation time than wasting it on this, so it will be if I am there.)
Old 06-10-2010, 12:41 PM   #20
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post
Same company. Anyway there are many people that can cook on FN, just not people that snobby food people like, because they don't cook they way they want them to.

Having tried many of the recipes on from shows on FN, I think I'd call what those people do "entertaining" and not "cooking." I've tried a fair few recipes from Rachel, Giada, and yes, even the butter queen Paula Deen and none is very flavorful. And we won't get started on the Sandra Lee show...

Very few of their shows seem to be about cooking--instruction-wise--anymore (at least the ones during hours I'm typically at home). Throwdown; Chef vs. City; Diners, Drive-Ins, & Dives; all the cooking competitions; Iron Chef; Chopped; Ace of Cakes...FN doesn't seem to what to emphasize showing people how to cook anymore but wants to entertain them with food and food personalities. And that's OK, but it wasn't what the network used to be at all. Then again "The Learning Channel" is hardly about learning anymore, so this is nothing new.

Yeah, I thought it was still Scripps as the parent company of all those channels (Cooking, FN, Travel), but I think the Cooking Channel is intended to be more like what FN used to be, kinda like a Saturday or Sunday morning on public television with lots of cooking shows showing you how to cook things.

/tk
Old 06-10-2010, 01:12 PM   #21
path12
Coordinator

Quote:
See, I didn't get that level of respect this time around that I definitely saw in the first TCM. This time, you saw Susur (in particular) being particularly disrespectful in terms of not asking before assuming things were garbage, taking up a lot of space (people repeatedly complained that he was using 3 station's worth of space, that he was all over the place..nevermind that he apparently doesn't understand the concept of keeping things at least semi-clean--what WAS that thing when he just flung the rice ball (? or whatever it was) off his station), and he was kind of an a$$ (saying Tony should do The Sopranos), nevermind that he was whiny (I don't speak much English, I'm not native...I'm sorry bud, you moved to Canada in 1978, you've had ample time).

Marcus, too, was more of a prick than not. One shining example of this was in the preliminary rounds, when that woman forgot her stew and everybody was giving her a hand to help her finish her dish...except Marcus. He actually said to the woman who he beat, "Next time, it's all about you...you don't have to help others."

If there are 2 chefs that have been on this show that LEAST represent the respect for other chefs that I expected to see based on last year's show, it's Marcus and Susur.

/tk

Fair enough. I agree with you on Marcus in that prelim round, I thought that was kinda shitty and he was definitely my least favorite personality this season.

Susur though I see as just really focused and happens to be messy in the kitchen. Just like Rick was always loud. And regardless of his cooking style, he seemed to get along with the other chefs with the exception of Tony, but I thought Tony taking offense to that comment came off as kinda wussy, I didn't think it was meant as an insult.

But hey, that's why there are different flavor jellybeans in the bag.
Old 06-10-2010, 01:23 PM   #22
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Generally, I think the stuff that Ina makes is probably pretty good. However, the cost of her ingredients is way too high.

And I can't believe they still employ Aaron McCargo, Jr. That dude is talentless and I can't stand to watch him.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 01:33 PM   #23
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:

The Cooking Channel has been somewhat disappointing so far. Lots of new chefs I haven't seen, but they show the same episode for these new chefs several times for more than a week now with no other episodes from them. I mean its the Food Network, its not like they don't have a whole library of episodes they can show-pretty annoying.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote