Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-19-2010, 11:16 AM   #1
Dutch
"Dutch"

Total War: Empire or Napoleon?

What better? Patched Empire or new Napoleon?

Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 12:06 PM   #2
-apoc-
H.S. Freshman Team

New Napoleon because you can actually finish it, but a working Empire would be a better game. Unfortunately even patched Empire is still quite broken.
Old 03-19-2010, 12:08 PM   #3
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by -apoc- View Post
New Napoleon because you can actually finish it, but a working Empire would be a better game. Unfortunately even patched Empire is still quite broken.

Yeah, I'm getting a bit worried by the number of crashes I'm hitting with Empire. I'm really enjoying the battles, even the naval ones, but the crashes are annoying. I may get Napoleon because I really like this style of games with firearms over swords.
Old 03-19-2010, 12:12 PM   #4
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Empire is fun. I'd love to hear impressions from someone with Napoleon that I trust though, as I've only played the battle tutorial (which was hella fun).
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 12:21 PM   #5
Dutch
"Dutch"

I'd like to buy one this weekend since I've finally got a lull in school and work and just want to play a new video game.

I'd prefer the grand European maps if possible, but yeah, I don't want to be endlessly frustrated either. So I guess I'm trying to say that I really want Empire, but feel it might be safer to go with Napoleon.
Old 03-19-2010, 12:25 PM   #6
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

They introduced DLC (downloadable content) in Napoleon, microtransactions and all.

This alone made me swear off it entirely.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 12:39 PM   #7
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I haven't played Napolean, but Empire is only fun as long as you don't expect it to be at all realistic. I find the battle AI to be poor and the campaign AI to be even worse, even with DarkMod. The terrain in battle maps is so limited you can't get much advantage/disadvantage from it. Every battle ends up being a frontal assault by the CPU regardless of whether you're attacking or defending. Defensive structures are disappointing from forts to trenchworks

But is sure does look pretty.
Old 03-19-2010, 12:42 PM   #8
Dutch
"Dutch"

I'm not getting that warm fuzzy either way here...
Old 03-19-2010, 12:55 PM   #9
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Well, download the demo(s) and give it a whirl.

And for what it's worth CW, they did that starting with Empire, lots of little units that you can optionally download. I just don't download / buy them.
Old 03-19-2010, 01:25 PM   #10
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

yeah. no need to DL and buy the exclusive units, just wait for the modders to work on the games
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 07:09 PM   #11
ColtCrazy
College Starter

I bought Empire after Napoleon came out because of the price drop. It hasn't crashed for me at all. A little annoyed at the limited # of people you can play (EU has really spoiled me on that) but the Napoleon game would bug me for the same reason (if I'm right, you can't play a grand campaign with France, just a series of smaller campaigns)

Anyway, I love fighting the battles in Empire, but the strategy/world map part leaves A LOT to be desired. The battles are a nice fix.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 05:31 AM   #12
Dutch
"Dutch"

Okay....I went the cheap route and picked up Empire Total War. Might as well go in order, I suppose. Hopefully it's not a crash fest because it looks amazing.
Old 03-20-2010, 08:10 AM   #13
Apathetic Lurker
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtCrazy View Post
I bought Empire after Napoleon came out because of the price drop. It hasn't crashed for me at all. A little annoyed at the limited # of people you can play (EU has really spoiled me on that) but the Napoleon game would bug me for the same reason (if I'm right, you can't play a grand campaign with France, just a series of smaller campaigns)

Anyway, I love fighting the battles in Empire, but the strategy/world map part leaves A LOT to be desired. The battles are a nice fix.

Grand Campaign with France lasts from 1805 to the end of 1812...Figure CA wants to make more loot on an expansion....

24 turns to a year. There are some mission goals given by the AI. "Go capture Vienna to knock Austria out of the war" kind of stuff. Your minor allies can go to war with with each other. If you capture a city you can peacefully occupy, loot(capitols give lots of loot) or create new nations..
Apathetic Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 10:16 PM   #14
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

I have a never installed version of Empire Total War on dvd if anyone would be interested in trading for it they could send me a PM. I would be mostly looking for console games. If you are interested shoot me a PM with games that you would be willing to trade. I bought the version the day it came out but never installed it due to very poor feedback about the games stability.

EDIT: If anyone is interested I have the Wii, 360, and PS3. If a mod wants me to take this down shoot me a PM and I will take it down.

Last edited by dubb93 : 03-20-2010 at 10:21 PM.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 11:25 AM   #15
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apathetic Lurker View Post
Grand Campaign with France lasts from 1805 to the end of 1812...Figure CA wants to make more loot on an expansion....

24 turns to a year. There are some mission goals given by the AI. "Go capture Vienna to knock Austria out of the war" kind of stuff. Your minor allies can go to war with with each other. If you capture a city you can peacefully occupy, loot(capitols give lots of loot) or create new nations..

That's good to know. I might pick up Napoleon once it gets down some. Of course, I've played Empire 3 times since I bought it. I like it, work has been so hectic lately that I just seem to veg out to Plants vs. Zombies then get into anything remotely long.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 11:58 AM   #16
Dutch
"Dutch"

Empire has run great on my system and it was the perfect Saturday afternoon video game fix I was looking for....and Sunday morning.