Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-16-2010, 05:22 PM   #1
Logan
Head Coach

Justified - Starts Tonight (3/16) on FX

Anybody in?

Getting very good reviews. Walton Goggins has been missing from my TV.

Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 05:57 PM   #2
Radii
Head Coach

I'm going to check it out but it'll be a rerun or I'll have to get in the habit of downloading it, FX's "this show runs til 11:02!" scheduling gives my DVR hell. Tonight's episode is scheduled from 10:00 to 11:11 I noticed.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 06:14 PM   #3
samifan24
Pro Starter

Yes I'm excited for this show. The previews and reviews are very favorable.
Old 03-16-2010, 06:49 PM   #4
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

I'm in. Thanks for the reminder.
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 07:08 PM   #5
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

In like Flynt!
Old 03-16-2010, 07:23 PM   #6
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Reviews are outstanding, can't wait.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 08:09 PM   #7
BreizhManu
College Benchwarmer

Elmore Leonard + Timothy Olyphant + Natalie Zea + an appearance of Walton Goggins = Definitely worth a try
BreizhManu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 08:43 AM   #8
BYU 14
Coordinator

I think I will be sticking with this, don't know how long they will keep Coggins around but I hope it is a awhile, there is definitely a good dynamic between him and Olyphant.

Olyphant's character reminds me a lot of his Deadwood character 130 years later, which isn't a bad thing, pretty solid debut overall IMO.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 08:59 AM   #9
BreizhManu
College Benchwarmer

according to imdb, Coggins is in for 4 episodes
BreizhManu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 09:02 AM   #10
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

DVR'd but only got a few minutes in before I got distracted. Will have to check it out tonight.
Old 03-17-2010, 10:47 AM   #11
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Really good episode. I love the fact no one yells. The entire thing is so cerebral.
Old 03-17-2010, 11:50 AM   #12
samifan24
Pro Starter

The pilot episode is available as a free download on iTunes today.
Old 03-18-2010, 08:34 AM   #13
spleen1015
Coordinator

Just watched it this morning. I thought it was awesome. Olyphant is outstanding in roles like this.
Old 03-18-2010, 09:55 AM   #14
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

finished watching it last night - loved it!!
Old 03-18-2010, 10:35 AM   #15
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Good start but can they keep it going?

“Justified” Scores Second-Highest Series Premiere Ever for FX - TV Ratings, Nielsen Ratings, Television Show Ratings | TVbytheNumbers.com

Good numbers for Justified’s premiere, and it’s worth scrolling down for the historical best premieres on FX, as some of those started better than they finished. A show like Sons of Anarchy, FX’s current biggest hit (with even better 18-49 numbers than Justified’s premiere) isn’t among FX’s best premieres. Justified scored a 1.5 rating with adults 18-49, measurably less than SOA was typically doing on Tuesdays at 10p last fall. ...

Top premieres on FX
Total Viewers
Shield 4.83m
Justified 4.15m
Rescue Me 4.07m
Over There 4.06m
Dirt 3.74m

A18-49
Shield 3.04m
The Riches 2.84m
Rescue Me 2.52m
Over There 2.39m
Dirt 2.36m

M18-49
Shield 1.74m
Justified 1.42m
Rescue Me 1.34m
Over There 1.33m
The Riches 1.31m
Old 03-18-2010, 11:37 AM   #16
Logan
Head Coach

I ended up missing it and will try to catch it on DVR this weekend, but to Jon...I read somewhere that it's already been guaranteed a second season prior to the premiere airing because of how well it tested. Just an FYI.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 08:40 AM   #17
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Good start but can they keep it going?
Justified scored a 1.5 rating with adults 18-49, measurably less than SOA was typically doing on Tuesdays at 10p last fall. ...

The answer to that question appears to be "no".

This week's episode was down nearly 50% from the debut in total viewers, and has fallen from a 1.5 rating A18-49 to this week's 0.9, off 40% from the debut.
Old 04-09-2010, 08:48 AM   #18
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

darn.

i think it's enjoyable.
Old 04-09-2010, 09:00 AM   #19
samifan24
Pro Starter

I like the show, too. The guy who runs The Hollywood Report blog said he thinks the show's ratings keep dropping because the pilot was presented as a serious drama but recent episodes have been lighter in tone and more procedural. I'd agree with that but I still think it's a good show. There's a rumor that the show is already guaranteed a second season because of how well it went over with test audiences but I don't know if it's true.
Old 04-11-2010, 07:47 PM   #20
QuikSand
lolzcat

I'd like to see this show get enough time to really find itself. I think they have a good deal to work with in the lead, and I think the overall setup is pretty solid. I'm not entirely sure that I'm willing to stomach an old-style gunfighter "draw" situation just about every week, even if that is sort of the nominal undercurrent.

I just got caught up with eps 3 and 4, and now feel like I can add this to a pretty short list of shows that I make an actual effort to watch from the DVR.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 07:49 PM   #21
QuikSand
lolzcat

More detail on Goggins' character here -- no serious spoilers that I noticed:

'Justified's' Walton Goggins does bad well - Page 2 - Los Angeles Times
Old 04-12-2010, 12:42 AM   #22
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post
I like the show, too. The guy who runs The Hollywood Report blog said he thinks the show's ratings keep dropping because the pilot was presented as a serious drama but recent episodes have been lighter in tone and more procedural. I'd agree with that but I still think it's a good show.
I agree with that too... based on the previews and the pilot I assumed there'd be some sort of ongoing storyline with the criminal element in his town (neo-Nazis/his father) similar to Sons of Anarchy. The fact it's turned quickly into a one off procedural with no overarching plot is a bit disappointing, but they still have time to switch it back around - and if this weeks episode revolves around his father, maybe they'll start doing so again.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 10:26 PM   #23
Bad-example
College Starter

I've been watching this one and think it has a chance. Tim Goodman of the SF Chronicle does a weekly television Power Ranking and these were the comments for Justified (#3) this week:

Quote:
Perhaps cursed by a brilliant pilot that may have sent the wrong message about tone, viewers are finally starting to figure out what "Justified" is trying to be. This Elmore Leonard-approved adaptation tries to mix one longer storyline (Raylan's past in Kentucky) with weekly cases. The idea is to infuse Raylan's no-blink gun play with a Leonardesque sense of humor and to slowly build up the back stories of surrounding characters. In that sense, this episode was nearly perfect, as Raylan confronts his father AND the ghosts of his past. Plus, it looks like things will heat up considerably next week. But this proved to be a nice meshing of tone and vision for "Justified."

Tim Goodman. The Bastard Machine : Power Rankings! Run for your life, there's a war at the top. Also: Upsets.
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 06:17 PM   #24
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Justified renewed for a 2nd season.
Old 05-03-2010, 06:48 PM   #25
Khorium
n00b

Friend of mine made me sit through an episode at his house a few weeks ago - it was the one where the dad rips off his tenant who is a hillbilly heroin dealer.

It was TERRIBLE.

Maybe I got a bad episode, but IMO, the protagonist actor is godawful and belongs on a soap opera.
Khorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 11:50 AM   #26
Bad-example
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Justified renewed for a 2nd season.

Great news. Lots to like about this show. Interesting the way the early shows used one-and-done plots early to introduce the characters before concentrating on the main story arc once they got up some steam.
Old 06-01-2010, 12:24 PM   #27
DataKing
Pro Rookie

I find it interesting the way they sort of bounce back and forth between one-and-done plots and the main storyline. In fact, I think the episode a couple of weeks ago with the hostage situation in the Marshall's office is probably my favorite one thus far.
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 01:15 PM   #28
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad-example View Post
Great news. Lots to like about this show. Interesting the way the early shows used one-and-done plots early to introduce the characters before concentrating on the main story arc once they got up some steam.

I haven't watched this show since the third or fourth episode because I grew tired of the one and done episodes and overly comedic elements. I loved the pilot because it was more serious and Olyphant's character was such a badass. The subsequent episodes were far less serious and that was a turn off for me given how much I loved the tone of the pilot.

Have later episodes been more serious or more similar to the pilot in tone? If so I'll start catching up.
Old 06-01-2010, 01:22 PM   #29
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

I gather they've been more serious samifan, although I haven't paid a ton of attention. It's one of those "turn it on for background noise and look up if i'm not doing anything on my laptop" type shows when it gets into the one-and-done episodes for me. there have been more serious ones lately though.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 01:38 PM   #30
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Walton Goggins is back on the show and has just been magnificent. They are really into a main storyline now. I have enjoyed the show a lot but its picked up significantly and they seem to have really found a groove.
Old 06-01-2010, 02:46 PM   #31
Bad-example
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post
Have later episodes been more serious or more similar to the pilot in tone? If so I'll start catching up.

Definitely, yes. They went for a month or so of the throwaway plots as they grew the main character's history and sketched out minor characters, but shifted gears after that. I'm curious to see where they take it.
Old 06-01-2010, 03:22 PM   #32
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

Damn! After watching the first handful of episodes, I let the next batch sit on my Tivo. I literally just deleted them last night without watching (I'm trying to make room for some summer viewing of The Shield & The Wire). Now you may have forced me to restore them...
tyketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 03:29 PM   #33
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

I like the ex-wife. She's a hottie.
Old 06-08-2010, 11:19 PM   #34
BYU 14
Coordinator

Pretty good finale tonight and as a show it definitely picked up more steam for me over the last 4-5 episodes. The episodes after the pilot were really mostly procedural and didn't really fit together at all, but once Boyd Crowder got out of prison the show began to focus more on serial elements and had a pretty good buildup going into tonights show.

I am glad it has been renewed for a second season and I am curious where they will take it now. I had hoped for something close to the Shield and it fell short of that, but a very good show nonetheless once it got it's legs. I will keep watching for sure.

As an aside, Walton Coggins has to be one of the more underrated actors in Television. He made the the first season for me and I hope they keep him around.

Last edited by BYU 14 : 06-08-2010 at 11:21 PM.
Old 06-08-2010, 11:58 PM   #35
Landshark44
High School Varsity

I thought it was very good. Excellent dialogue that seemed right out of an Elmore Leonard novel, Tim Olyphant and Walter Coggins were great....So was Bo Crowder and Raylen's dad....

Good Story, Action, Sex.... Thumbs Up, for me
Landshark44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 10:41 PM   #36
Bad-example
College Starter

Season 1 dvd will be released this week.

Season 2 begins Feb 9 at 10pm.
Old 02-09-2011, 05:35 PM   #37
samifan24
Pro Starter

Season two begins tonight at 10 PM Eastern on FX.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:00 PM   #38
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

so, never heard of this show but the trailers this year have been terrific. so, I'm recording this. do I need to watch season 1 first or can I just drop in now?
Old 02-09-2011, 07:38 PM   #39
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post
so, never heard of this show but the trailers this year have been terrific. so, I'm recording this. do I need to watch season 1 first or can I just drop in now?

I would think so. Each character has a history with the other characters. I'm certain the plots will refer to last season, they can't help but do that.
"The case of Great Britain is the most astonishing in this matter of inequality of rights in world soccer championships. The way they explained it to me as a child, God is one but He's three: Father, Son and Holy Ghost. I could never understand it. And I still don't understand why Great Britain is one but she's four....while [others] continue to be no more than one despite the diverse nationalities that make them up." Eduardo Galeano, SOCCER IN SUN AND SHADOW
OldGiants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 09:46 AM   #40
Bad-example
College Starter

I wish FX would have led into last night's premiere by showing the last couple episodes from season one. Still, a pretty solid return for what has very surprisingly become one of my favorite shows going.

I'm curious to know if anyone bought the season one dvd.
Old 02-10-2011, 10:40 AM   #41
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad-example View Post
I wish FX would have led into last night's premiere by showing the last couple episodes from season one.

They did, but over the last few weeks, not the same night. I missed the last few of Season 1, and now have to catch up on the last 4 of them before getting tot he new season kickoff on the DVR.

I am getting close to not having a single show that I really watch any more, but this is pretty much the standout exception.
Old 02-10-2011, 10:40 AM   #42
nZane
n00b

I picked up the Blu-Ray version off Amazon for $20 when it was first released a few weeks back (up to $25 now). Well worth it, as the first season held up surprisingly well to a repeat viewing.

Haven't had a chance to watch last night's episode, but I'm looking forward to it.
nZane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 09:55 AM   #43
Bad-example
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZane View Post
I picked up the Blu-Ray version off Amazon for $20 when it was first released a few weeks back (up to $25 now). Well worth it, as the first season held up surprisingly well to a repeat viewing.

I can't afford it in the short term but might pick it up at some point. How are the special features?
Old 02-12-2011, 12:36 PM   #44
Landshark44
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
They did, but over the last few weeks, not the same night. I missed the last few of Season 1, and now have to catch up on the last 4 of them before getting tot he new season kickoff on the DVR.

I am getting close to not having a single show that I really watch any more, but this is pretty much the standout exception.

i've noticed over the years, that you and I share the same taste in TV shows. "the wire" in particular, but i also like "justified...."

i'll recommend "the good wife" if you haven't seen it. good show....
Landshark44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 10:30 PM   #45
BYU 14
Coordinator

The first episode this season was very strong and I like the new antagonists a lot. Very curious to see what they do with Walton Coggins character this season. This and Southland are really the only two series I watch right now.

Tried to get into Lights out, but it just hasn't hooked me yet, though I am not giving up on it.
Old 03-10-2011, 11:44 PM   #46
BishopMVP
Coordinator

That last episode was awesome.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 12:10 AM   #47
BYU 14
Coordinator

Agreed, and I think it is off to a much better start than the first season. You can tell Boyd Crowder is fighting hard not to return to a life of crime and it looked like he was heading that way for a bit. We need more of him in the show.

Also love the addition of the Bennet family, the old woman is ruthless, like a hillbilly Ma Barker.
Old 03-11-2011, 06:07 AM   #48
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Have to agree with the general consensus - liked the first season, am loving the second season.
Old 05-10-2011, 11:57 AM   #49
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

Just got around to watching season finale last night. WOW! I am shocked no one else posted about it. I have really enjoyed this season (much better than 1st). If Mags doesn't get nominated for some awards, that would be a crime.

Spoiler
tyketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 12:41 PM   #50
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Well, there's a power vacuum and one man seems in a good spot to fill it up. I imagine that's where we head, and I like where its going.