7.0 Earthquake in Japan; 8.5 Earthquake in Chile

Not much more info yet.

DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 03:13 PM   #2
DeToxRox
Head Coach

From MSNBC

Quote:
TOKYO - A magnitude-7.0 earthquake struck off southern Japan early Saturday, and Okinawa's seashore was evacuated after Japan's Meteorological Agency issued a tsunami warning.

The Japanese agency predicted 6-foot waves following the quake, which hit just east of Okinawa and Ryukyu, south of Japan's main islands. Tsunami waves also were expected on the islands of Amami and Tokaro.

There were no immediate reports of damage or casualties.
Story continues below ↓advertisement | your ad here

No tsunami was forecast for the West Coast of the United States.

The U.S. Geological Survey initially said the quake was magnitude 7.3, but lowered the measure to 7.0.

Japan is one of the world's most earthquake-prone countries. In 1995, a magnitude-7.2 quake in the western port city of Kobe killed 6,400 people.
Old 02-26-2010, 03:15 PM   #3
JediKooter
Coordinator

Oh man. That sucks.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 03:30 PM   #4
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Yikes
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 03:45 PM   #5
DanGarion
Coordinator

I hope Danielson is ok.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 07:57 PM   #6
Hammer755
High School Varsity

Yikes. I'm having coffee tomorrow morning with a friend and his son, who is a Marine on leave headed back to Okinawa in the afternoon.

Last edited by Hammer755 : 02-26-2010 at 07:57 PM.
Hammer755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 01:48 AM   #7
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Crazy day.

Quote:
CNN) -- An 8.3-magnitude earthquake struck central Chile early Saturday, the U.S. Geological Survey said.

The quake's epicenter was located near the town of Concepcion, 212 miles (341 kilometers) from the capital, Santiago.

A tsunami warning was issued for Chile and Peru, the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center said.

"An earthquake of this size has the potential to generate a destructive tsunami that can strike coastlines near the epicenter within minutes and more distant coastlines within hours," the National Weather Service said in a statement.

Alessandro Perez, who is staying at the Santiago Marriott Hotel, reported shattered glass, but there was no structural damage. No one at the hotel was injured, he said.

Anita Herrera, who works at the Hotel Kennedy in Santiago, said electricity was out at that hotel and guests were nervous.

"Our hotel is built for this," she said. "In Chile, this happens many times."

Chile holds the record for the largest earthquake in the world, according to the USGS. A magnitude 9.5 quake struck the South American country in May 1960 and killed 1,655 people.
Old 02-27-2010, 02:24 AM   #8
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

upgraded to 8.8 now. I'm on tsunami advisory...
Old 02-27-2010, 04:07 AM   #9
QuikSand
lolzcat

8.8 magnitude is a beastly sized event... something like 800-900 times as powerful as a 7.0...wow
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 08:11 AM   #10
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Says they're evacuating coastal areas in Hawaii starting at 6:00 AM local time. Scary stuff. Just thankful that the wave is far enough away that they'll have time to warn everyone.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 02-27-2010 at 08:18 AM.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 08:34 AM   #11
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by k0ruptr View Post
upgraded to 8.8 now. I'm on tsunami advisory...

Hopefully Hawaii will not get hit with anything major, keeping good thoughts for the Islands.
BYU 14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 09:30 AM   #12
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

7.0 and 8.8 quakes within 24 hours of each other...scary times. CNN Reporting 82 people dead in Chile, seems pretty low. Hopefully it stays low.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 09:48 AM   #13
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
Hopefully Hawaii will not get hit with anything major, keeping good thoughts for the Islands.

Same here. Scary stuff.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 09:53 AM   #14
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

As some know, my wife was born in Chile and most of her family is there, but thankfully in the northern part of the country. They said it was a strong quake even as far north as Santiago, but it sounds like all of her family is ok based on one of her cousins posting on facebook of all things. The phones are virtually unreachable anywhere in the country right now though. She's completely freaked out.

Go figure somehow they have facebook but no phones.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 09:56 AM   #15
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
7.0 and 8.8 quakes within 24 hours of each other...scary times.

Ok, who forgot to carry the 1 when adding up dates on the Mayan calendar.

Mayan guy in a time machine: 'May 2012? What idiots did this math? It was supposed to be March 2010!'

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 11:57 AM   #16
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Looks like a Tsunami is expected to hit Hawaii around 4 est:

Quote:
Hawaii is bracing for a potential tsunami in the wake of last night's massive Chilean earthquake, sounding alarms to evacuate coastal areas for the first time in 16 years.
A shopper pushes a cart full of emergency supplies at Safeway grocery store early Saturday, Feb. 27, 2010, in Honolulu. Hawaii braced Saturday for a tsunami, after a massive earthquake off Chile sent waves across the Pacific Ocean.
A shopper pushes a cart full of emergency supplies at Safeway grocery store early Saturday, Feb. 27, 2010, in Honolulu. Hawaii braced Saturday for a tsunami, after a massive earthquake off Chile sent waves across the Pacific Ocean.
(Marco Garcia/AP Photo)

Civil defense sirens blared in each county of Hawaii starting at 6:00 a.m. Hawaiian time as residents and tourists calmly began leaving their coastline homes and resorts and moving to higher ground.

Grocery stores faced a crush of residents eager to stock up on food, water and batteries. Long lines of cars snaked through many islands' streets near gas stations as drivers filled their tanks.

"We've got a lot of things going for us," Charles McCreery, director of the center told The Associated Press. "We have a reasonable lead time. The evacuation should all take place during daylight hours, and wave impact should be during daylight hours."

The first wave is expected to arrive by 11:19 a.m. local time, 4:19 p.m. ET.
Old 02-27-2010, 12:01 PM   #17
DeToxRox
Head Coach

First wave arrivals:

Hilo: 11:05 AM HST (4:05 pm EST)
Honolulu: 11:37 AM HST (4:37 pm EST)
Kahului: 11:26 AM HST (4:26 pm EST)
Old 02-27-2010, 12:02 PM   #18
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

k0ruptr, where on the Big Island are you? I know that's the island that's supposed to be hit the hardest. Stay safe man.

I woke up around 5:30 this morning and heard the public emergency siren go off about a half hour later. They actually sound the siren every month on the first of the month, so it was weird hearing it now. I just assumed it was some idiot playing a joke...apparently not. I'm on Tsunami warning too, but in a pretty safe place as I live on the side of a mountain.

The waves are expected to hit around 11am Hawai'i time (4pm Eastern) here on the Islands. The phones have been down since I woke up, but I was successfully able to get through to my Wife's Mother one time.

Word on the size of the waves is something like 12 feet in some areas, and around 6 feet here in Kailua.

Last edited by Sun Tzu : 02-27-2010 at 12:04 PM.
Sun Tzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 12:05 PM   #19
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Dola...

Just so everybody understands the seriousness of this, in 1960 there was an earthquake in Chile smaller than the one that hit today. It caused a Tsunami that hit Hilo (where I think K0ruptr lives) that killed over 100 people.

Last edited by Sun Tzu : 02-27-2010 at 12:06 PM.
Old 02-27-2010, 12:50 PM   #20
hawk4669
High School JV

I live in Northern California and we're under a tsunami advisory currently. I'm a Battalion Chief with with our Fire District and just got out of a conference call with CAL-EMA (California Emergency Management Agency).....there are a couple places they're watching a long the California coast, as well as Alaska and the situation in Hawaii.....but for the most part, California won't see much of anything.

The way the CAL-EMA put it, it'll just look like a bit higher tide than normal. Places that don't normally see water won't get wet. Their only concern was its effect on the currents in the local bay, etc as it could be a bit stronger than normal.

That's it on my end.

Cheers!

www.hbfire.org
hawk4669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 12:53 PM   #21
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Yes, I'm in hilo, It's pretty eerie right now. I'm a little worried, but looking at expected wave heights and other factors, I've got my fingers crossed that we will be alright. Our house is in a safe zone, but others are not, some family and friends are on their way here to our place to stay for the next 6 hours or so. Everyone is definitely on edge though.

Wish us luck everyone, I'm hoping everyone here remains safe.
Old 02-27-2010, 01:11 PM   #22
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Friends are telling me that they have Tsunami warnings posted in the Philippines as well. Metro Manila should be relatively safe, but the Philippine coastline facing the Pacific have made preparations for any impending waves.
Old 02-27-2010, 01:12 PM   #23
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I was just looking up the Indonesia tsunami and according to Wiki those wave were 100 feet, hopefully that means there wont be a huge loss of life or property in Hawaii. Still, hope all out friends there stay safe.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 01:14 PM   #24
TCY Junkie
College Prospect

I just talked to my sister who lives in Hawaii. I told them bye and they started joking around saying it was nice knowing me. Then my brother-in-law said he loved me man like on the beer commercials. Then they told their 12 year old son they'll never get to see me again and to tell me bye. He was like bye, they're as crazy as me sometimes. They are headed to higher ground, they better take care of my nephew. I play him almost every night on xbox live.

TCY Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 01:24 PM   #25
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Okay, everybody in harm's way batten down the hatches & take care of yourselves.
Old 02-27-2010, 01:28 PM   #26
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Okay, everybody in harm's way batten down the hatches & take care of yourselves.

+1

But also head to higher ground.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 01:57 PM   #27
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

The height of the wave isn't ever the big deal as people make it out to be. It's the Horizontal force of the wave thats the major worry. A 3 footer can carry a car 50 feet if the force is there... Something to think about.
Old 02-27-2010, 02:30 PM   #28
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Good to hear you're in a safe zone. I took a quick drive over to Blockbuster hoping to stock up on DVD's to watch, and they were closed.

As i'm typing this the siren is sounding again...it's a very eerie sound.

Last edited by Sun Tzu : 02-27-2010 at 02:31 PM.
Old 02-27-2010, 02:45 PM   #29
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
As some know, my wife was born in Chile and most of her family is there, but thankfully in the northern part of the country. They said it was a strong quake even as far north as Santiago, but it sounds like all of her family is ok based on one of her cousins posting on facebook of all things. The phones are virtually unreachable anywhere in the country right now though. She's completely freaked out.

Go figure somehow they have facebook but no phones.

glad to hear this
Old 02-27-2010, 02:47 PM   #30
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Good luck guys...everyone stay safe. I've got some other friends in Hawaii too!!

Let us know it's all good once you get the chance.
Old 02-27-2010, 02:47 PM   #31
B & B
College Benchwarmer

Location: A sports era long ago when everything didnt require a Nike logo
MSNBC is showing dudes out there surfing right now.

No information if any of them is/was an FBI agent.
Old 02-27-2010, 02:58 PM   #32
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by B & B View Post
MSNBC is showing dudes out there surfing right now.

No information if any of them is/was an FBI agent.

They just finally said that the surfing dudes are older video and are not what is currently happening.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 03:00 PM   #33
Mike Lowe
College Prospect

The guy hosting CNN's coverage right now has a brain the size of a pea pod.

1) He pointed to the small island chain DIRECTLY west of South America and asked if it was Hawaii...was told no and then, like a second grader, was shown where Hawaii was.

2) He asked, while once again rudely interupting his co-host, what 9 meters of drop-off by a buoy means saying, "9 meters...what does that mean!!!??!?!" He sounded like Charlton Heston in Soylent Green haha.

3) And then my favorite, he asked the weather expert dude what 9 meters translated to in English HAHAHA.
Mike Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 03:16 PM   #34
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

kinda freaky right now, NO Traffic or any sounds in hilo bay right now, real eerie. eek.
Old 02-27-2010, 03:17 PM   #35
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

It's just nuts looking at those photos, I was in that area last year at this time and I recognize and have been in some of the buildings that are just rubble now. Luckily some of the friends I made from the area are ok.
nilodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 03:19 PM   #36
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

watching Fox, waiting for the waves
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 03:20 PM   #37
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

There showing some crazy Hawaiian Bradda wading out in the water right now.

Looks like it could be a false alarm today though...hard to tell. Expected hit was like 15 minutes ago and nothing has happened.
Old 02-27-2010, 03:22 PM   #38
Thomkal
Head Coach

MSNBC talking to a guy saying the water is receding at Waikiki Beach.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 03:26 PM   #39
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Tzu View Post
There showing some crazy Hawaiian Bradda wading out in the water right now.

Looks like it could be a false alarm today though...hard to tell. Expected hit was like 15 minutes ago and nothing has happened.

just heard a tsunami from the chili quake hit New Zeland. and they said NZ was in the 12 hour tsunami mark and hawaii is 15 hour mark. so it might be 3 more hours till it hits hawaii

sorry for all misspellings
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 03:26 PM   #40
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Watching CNN and waiting
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 03:35 PM   #41
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Watching CNN and waiting

MSNBC here. CNN is driving me nuts.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 03:36 PM   #42
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Looks like Hilo Bay is receding crazy fast right now...
Old 02-27-2010, 03:47 PM   #43
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

yea, its happening now, no waves yet but got some weird scary ocean activity.
Old 02-27-2010, 03:50 PM   #44
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Coconut island is pumping in, and then now it just reversed and started receding really quickly. might not get waves but the tides can be pretty dangerous them selves. It's good for Hawaii if we don't get any waves.
Old 02-27-2010, 03:52 PM   #45
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Yeah I hear Coconut island was completely underwater just a minute ago. Looks like there's a lot of extreme ebb and flow of the tides.
Old 02-27-2010, 03:58 PM   #46
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

wow, its super super receding fast now, this is crazy. never seen anything like this in my life.
Old 02-27-2010, 04:12 PM   #47
BYU 14
Coordinator

Hopefully it will just be tides and not waves.....stay safe guys!
Old 02-27-2010, 04:32 PM   #48
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Can't even imagine a 8.8 earthquake

Prayers and thoughts for Chile right now.
Old 02-27-2010, 04:55 PM   #49
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Looks like we're through the brunt of it.

*wipes sweat from brow*

Now back to the MLB 10 release date countdown.
Old 02-27-2010, 05:16 PM   #50
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Tzu View Post
Looks like we're through the brunt of it.

*wipes sweat from brow*

Now back to the MLB 10 release date countdown.

Awesome news! Is it looking like damage is at a minimum?