Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-22-2010, 10:07 PM   #1
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

Anyone ever play curling?

I think the Olympic even I look forward to more than anything is curling, every 4 years I am glued to the TV. Down here in Louisiana there isn't much ice, or ice sports- for those up north, even our Canadian friends- is curling like bowling? Like is there a curling alley? The closest thing I can find is shuffle board in a smokey bar, still pretty fun though

I would love to go do this if I take a vacation up north. Is it popular up there?

Could a curling "alley" even be a profitable business venture?

Doug5984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 10:09 PM   #2
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

dola- how do you even say it, do you play curling... I guess it would be playing a match
Old 02-22-2010, 10:12 PM   #3
Router Help

I've gone a few times with some friends and had a great time. They aren't as common as bowling alleys but we have a great one in Ferndale, MI.

Detroit Curling Club
Router Help is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 10:17 PM   #4
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

This is now on my bucket list- shouldn't be too hard to accomplish but it's great, I have to do it at least once.
Old 02-22-2010, 10:22 PM   #5
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug5984 View Post
This is now on my bucket list- shouldn't be too hard to accomplish but it's great, I have to do it at least once.

I actually looked the other day to see if there were any curling clubs nearby but none within an hour of me (All appear to be in Boston in this area). If there was one near by I kind of wanted to give it a try.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 10:22 PM   #6
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

They are usually called curling clubs or rinks around here. I played for about 6 or 7 years as a youth, but the game has changed a bit since then in terms of strategy. I remember the free guard zone coming into effect in one of my last years, and that really changed things because you could no longer sit on a lead and just peel everything off end after end. But I also haven't really followed the sport closely over the last 10 years and when I watch now I'm pretty unfamiliar with some of the strategy.

As for "play curling", that isn't right but I'm not sure what the correct replacement would be. I seem to remember saying things like "I have curling on Saturday" or "I'm going curling", or "I have a curling match".
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 10:31 PM   #7
Jughead Spock
High School Varsity

Do they have it for the 360 yet?

Then no.
Jughead Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 10:33 PM   #8
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Is the curling on Mario and Sonic any good? I'd probably buy the game for that alone.
stevew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 10:34 PM   #9
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
I actually looked the other day to see if there were any curling clubs nearby but none within an hour of me (All appear to be in Boston in this area). If there was one near by I kind of wanted to give it a try.

there's one in like...Wayland Alan. They're actually having an open house soon I hear - my 15 year old brother and his friend are going - they want to take it up.

not sure what the website is, but i bet if you google "wayland ma + curling" you'd probably find it pretty quick

nevermind - PM'd you the link. Open house is March 7

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 02-22-2010 at 10:39 PM.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 10:39 PM   #10
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Is the curling on Mario and Sonic any good? I'd probably buy the game for that alone.

The review on IGN said that most of the game was kindof mediocre but the curling was excellent and they loved that part. It has me considering it in a few months when it drops way down in price.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 10:40 PM   #11
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I was looking this up the other day and this was the list of curling clubs in the US that I found:

United States Curling Association - U.S. CURLING CLUBS

I was mad that there was on in KC that I never knew about because I loved watching curling last Olympics.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 02-22-2010 at 10:41 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 10:42 PM   #12
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
I seem to remember saying things like "I have curling on Saturday" or "I'm going curling", or "I have a curling match".

Similar to bowling then. You don't say "I'm going to play bowling tonight." (unless it's wii bowling!)

Do you wear skates? I can't skate.
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 10:44 PM   #13
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by M GO BLUE!!! View Post
Similar to bowling then. You don't say "I'm going to play bowling tonight." (unless it's wii bowling!)

Do you wear skates? I can't skate.

No skates, you wear shoes, one with a 'slider' and one with a 'gripper'. The technology on that has changed since when I played so I'm not really sure what the bottoms look like anymore. Brooms have also changed a tonne in the last 10 years.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Old 02-22-2010, 10:46 PM   #14
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Dola, did some quick math, it's been more like 15 years for me now. God I'm getting old.
Old 02-22-2010, 10:58 PM   #15
RainMaker
General Manager

I did it a couple times in college. There was one near where I went to college. Lot harder than it looks but a lot of fun.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 11:10 PM   #16
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

Looks like Houston is the closest to me, Austin and Dallas also not a horrible drive... I might have to go take a mini-vacation and do this after tax season.

Me and my boss were talking tonight might be able to make it a profitable business in Louisiana... curling / public skating rink

Last edited by Doug5984 : 02-22-2010 at 11:17 PM.
Old 02-22-2010, 11:12 PM   #17
JediKooter
Coordinator

They should have strip curling.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 11:58 PM   #18
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jughead Spock View Post
Do they have it for the 360 yet?

Then no.

There's an Xbox 360 Indie game for curling. I own it
Old 02-22-2010, 11:59 PM   #19
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug5984 View Post
Looks like Houston is the closest to me, Austin and Dallas also not a horrible drive... I might have to go take a mini-vacation and do this after tax season.

Me and my boss were talking tonight might be able to make it a profitable business in Louisiana... curling / public skating rink

If you come up to Dallas to do it give me some advanced notice and I'll join you. I think it would be a blast to try...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 06:47 AM   #20
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

One of my co-workers is thinking about organizing a curling event at a nearby curling club, but it's more for novelty than anything. It's not nearly as popular around here as bowling.

...which reminds me that I was supposed to organize a bowling event and never got around to it.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:00 AM   #21
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
I was mad that there was on in KC that I never knew about because I loved watching curling last Olympics.

SI

Man, clear on the other end of the city from me. Guess I won't be doing that.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 07:02 AM   #22
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post

It is actually pretty decent. It is a bit tricky to control your speed, and the sweeping control wasn't working real well (but it could've been my Wiimote). But it is a lot of fun.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:28 AM   #23
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
It is actually pretty decent. It is a bit tricky to control your speed, and the sweeping control wasn't working real well (but it could've been my Wiimote). But it is a lot of fun.

Any chance the U.S. Men's team used this game for Olympic training? Sounds awfully familiar.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 01:21 PM   #24
Axxon
Pro Starter

Heh, I just noticed we have a curling club in Scottsdale. It does look like it'd be really fun to try.
Old 02-23-2010, 02:09 PM   #25
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Sorry Sliders...does that count?
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 02:16 PM   #26
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD View Post
If you come up to Dallas to do it give me some advanced notice and I'll join you. I think it would be a blast to try...

I think I'm gonna have to do that, if I go to the one in Dallas I'll shoot you a PM.
Old 02-23-2010, 02:23 PM   #27
Big T
H.S. Freshman Team

The term I remember being used was either " I am going Curling today" or "Later today I am going to Curl". It is a fun sport, it is surprizingly tougher physically then it looks, especially for the guys/gals sweeping.
Big T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 02:33 AM   #28
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Been playing a LOT on XBOX Live.. There is a new game for the Arcade called Curling 2010 (Find it in the independent releases). We should totally start an FOFC curling league.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 08:30 AM   #29
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio Riddols View Post
Been playing a LOT on XBOX Live.. There is a new game for the Arcade called Curling 2010 (Find it in the independent releases). We should totally start an FOFC curling league.

I'm gonna have to check that out when I get home.

My girlfriend has it for the Wii on Sonic & Mario olympics- but that's all the way out in New Orleans so during tax season I don't get to go there that often.
Old 02-24-2010, 10:42 AM   #30
Izulde
Head Coach

I curled for a few months. Wasn't a bad sport, but not my thing.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 11:00 AM   #31
Kevin
High School JV

I've been curling 2-3 nights per week for the past eleven winters. I have been on the board of our club for the past seven. The great thing about our club is that it is entirely run by volunteers. Our rink burned to the ground in September 2007 and we were rebuilt in a state of the art acility by October 2008.

I usually skip but prefer to play third stones.

http://www.windsorcurlingclub.ca
Old 02-24-2010, 11:09 AM   #32
Oilers9911
College Benchwarmer

I'm in a curling league once a week. It's a great sport to play. I am the Skip of the team so i don't do as much sweeping as the other guys. When I played lead, then second then vice I did alot of sweeping and it really is a good workout.
Oilers9911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 11:48 AM   #33
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big T View Post
"Later today I am going to Curl".

That's the term I hear most often.

I grew up in a curling rink as my parents were avid curlers. My brother and I spent most weekends running around the local rink to see what kind of trouble we could get into. And I think we both resented most of those weekends because when it came time to decide if we wanted to play hockey or curl...hockey won, hands down.

My mom is in her 70's and still curls every week and loves it...but I've never taken a liking to it. I suppose when my hockey career comes to an end I just might have to reconsider.

Very nice to see the sport get this much exposure and that it's drummed up so much interest because, like golf, it's something that you can do for the better part of your life. Like somebody, I think Fid, already said, it is more physically demanding than it looks and if nothing else, gets you out of the house, something some seniors have a hard time doing.

Last edited by johnnyshaka : 02-24-2010 at 11:49 AM.
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 08:56 PM   #34
finkenst
College Benchwarmer

There's an open curling day up in the chicagoland area this weekend (sat-sun)
Originally Posted by mijb#19
Switzerland is independant and will try to do so until the apacolypse is upon us.
finkenst is offline   Reply With Quote