Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-03-2010, 05:30 AM   #1
Markus Heinsohn
OOTP Developments

Thumbs up OOTP 11 Update!

Hey guys,

I'd like to share a bit of info about our upcoming Out of the Park Baseball 11

OOTP 11 is in development for a few months now, unfortunately I lost about 6 weeks of development time because of illness. But things are working full steam now, no worries Beta testing will start in a couple of weeks, and we are aiming for a release date significantly earlier than the past 2 years.

We will start a preorder-period in a couple of weeks as well, where you will have the opportunity to preorder OOTP 11 for a great price. So, you might ask, what will OOTP 11 have to offer? I will not go into great detail now, but here are a few of the new features:

- Partly redesigned user interface, making the game more accessible and fun to use. This does include mass-selection of players.
- Recoded fielding engine, making defense more realistic while introducing new fielding stats like Zone Rating, Individual Fielding Efficiency and Team Defence Efficiency.
- More advanced stats like wOBA (weighted on-base average), OPS+, ERA+ and FIP (fielding independent pitching)
- Recoded parts of player creation engine, introducing two-way players and also starting draft-elegible players off with higher overall ratings.
- Recoded parts of the player development system, handling two-way players and pitcher batting (pitchers no longer start out with fully developed hitting ratings) and resulting in even more realistic career curves.
- Recoded amateur draft with (optional) signing bonuses, player demands, slotting system, post-draft contract & bonus negotiations and compensation picks for unsigned picks (who will re-enter the draft a year later). Also when feeder leagues are used, undrafted/unsigned HS players may go to college.
- Improved historicals with recoded part-time player rating routines, new fielding ratings calculator and other fancy stuff, resulting in the most realistic and fun historical play experience ever.
- Oh, and much more...

We will have a big announcement in a couple of weeks, so stay tuned!

All the best,
Markus

Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 07:34 AM   #2
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

recoded fielding engine and advanced stats are cool addition. the rest of the stuff that you've posted there looks like positive steps to existing features as well
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 09:43 AM   #3
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Old 02-03-2010, 10:20 AM   #4
lungs
Pro Rookie

Looking forward to this as usual.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 10:21 AM   #5
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

I think I'll be getting this version. I'm still on OOTP 9 and going strong. I should be able to import my v9 league right?
Old 02-03-2010, 11:35 AM   #6
lungs
Pro Rookie

Two-way players is an interesting addition. Would this allow to simulate a better high school environment? Or better yet, some kind of town ball team league? Basically having rosters of like 15 guys with several two-way players on a team.

Amateur draft changes sound nice. Not sure OOTP can yet mimic real life where Americans, Canadians, and Puerto Ricans are draft eligible whereas everybody else is a free agent. You can setup feeder leagues and whatnot but I've always had a damned hard time getting feeder leagues to work the way I want to. Which brings me to my last point.

OOTP has the base to be what I've always wanted in a baseball simulator. I love fictional leagues and I'd love to create this massive world. But creating this to my liking is just too damned tedious. Random team name generators just don't work for me. I like my leagues to be fairly geographically correct. I don't like seeing team names that just make no sense in relation to the city they are in.

Then trying to strike a balance with league modifiers, player creation modifiers, salary modifiers, financial balancing. My goodness there is so much to do. Maybe what I'm saying is that I'd love to see more fictional league templates! I don't have time to spend weeks trying to balance my universe (and I admit I'm a little more picky than the average player). Put together all kinds of different templates and allow me to piece them together when creating a universe.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 12:05 PM   #7
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

For some of the more annoying things about the game (financial modeling, some of the wonky in-game tactical things that happen, etc.) it's base is still the best out there for people who want to customize a game to adapt to a variety of different varieties of play. So I can appreciate that at least. And it's grown leaps and bounds from the old days, so I guess there's that too.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 01:56 PM   #8
DanGarion
Coordinator

Really? You are going to keep a 1 year cycle? I'd really hope you do a 2 year. But that's just me.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 01:58 PM   #9
miked
College Starter

I hope FA comp works correctly this time around...on it's 3rd or 4th iteration.
Old 02-03-2010, 02:00 PM   #10
RainMaker
General Manager

Any estimate for a release date? I guess one of the turnoffs of the series of late has been the vagueness toward release dates. Expecting people to throw in for a preorder for a game that you have no clue when it'll come out. I also sort of lose my my passion to start a new baseball league when the game comes out so late in the year. Not sure if that has changed lately, but I always liked the opening day releases we seemed to get with previous versions a long way back.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 02:07 PM   #11
spleen1015
Coordinator

I think they are going for a release date closer to Opening Day.
Old 02-03-2010, 02:07 PM   #12
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post
Really? You are going to keep a 1 year cycle? I'd really hope you do a 2 year. But that's just me.

Dude's gotta eat.
Old 02-03-2010, 02:09 PM   #13
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
Dude's gotta eat.

And pay for the Ferrari.
Old 02-03-2010, 02:22 PM   #14
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

I'm glad to see advanced fielding make its way into the game. If done right this will add a lot of real depth to the game. I think if I were to pick 1 *new* feature I would've wantd it would have been the advanced fielding - so that's great.

That said, there are a lot of issues that remain from version to version that just aren't getting addressed.
Old 02-03-2010, 02:24 PM   #15
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Will version X exports work with version 11? I'd buy 11 if so, but I'm not sure how many in our league would really want to upgrade. I mean, the game really didn't work properly till October-ish IMO.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 02:34 PM   #16
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lighthousekeeper View Post
I'm glad to see advanced fielding make its way into the game. If done right this will add a lot of real depth to the game. I think if I were to pick 1 *new* feature I would've wantd it would have been the advanced fielding - so that's great.

That said, there are a lot of issues that remain from version to version that just aren't getting addressed.

That's why I wish Markus would go to a 2 year cycle instead of 1.
Old 02-03-2010, 02:49 PM   #17
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Will version X exports work with version 11? I'd buy 11 if so, but I'm not sure how many in our league would really want to upgrade. I mean, the game really didn't work properly till October-ish IMO.

Uhm...I think that's when it broke...for me at least.
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 02:54 PM   #18
stevew
Hall Of Famer

It broke for CMG(rays) too, right around that same time.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 03:07 PM   #19
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn View Post
OOTP 11 is in development for a few months now, unfortunately I lost about 6 weeks of development time because of illness. But things are working full steam now, no worries Beta testing will start in a couple of weeks, and we are aiming for a release date significantly earlier than the past 2 years.

Danger, danger, Will Robinson!
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 05:42 PM   #20
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:
We will have a big announcement in a couple of weeks, so stay tuned!

H2H
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 05:59 PM   #21
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Disappointed that talent distribution in Equatorial Guinea apparently isn't being looked at.

On a more serious note, +1000 to DanG.

Last edited by JPhillips : 02-03-2010 at 06:00 PM.
JPhillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 08:21 PM   #22
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

I like this one too. I just wish the text descriptions would do a better job of describing just HOW good a play was. If it was something that only the best of fielders could do I'd like to see that mentioned, make me feel better about putting out a good fielding team by SHOWING me it makes a difference.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 09:55 PM   #23
molson
General Manager

There's a pretty good way for anyone to simulate a two-year cycle. And you can just think of it as very intensive beta-testing in between years.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 10:32 PM   #24
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
There's a pretty good way for anyone to simulate a two-year cycle. And you can just think of it as very intensive beta-testing in between years.

True.
Old 02-04-2010, 02:31 AM   #25
Markus Heinsohn
OOTP Developments

Quote:

If we'd sell twice as many copies then this could work. But, we do not, so it doesn't

Last edited by Markus Heinsohn : 02-04-2010 at 02:31 AM.
Old 02-04-2010, 02:34 AM   #26
Markus Heinsohn
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Will version X exports work with version 11?

No, sorry. Online exports/league files cannot be compatible between versions because of all the various changes.

Of course, you can import an entire OOTP 10 league into OOTP 11.
Old 02-04-2010, 07:54 AM   #27
miked
College Starter

Quote:

This +1000. Then +1000 more.
Old 02-04-2010, 08:14 AM   #28
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
No, sorry. Online exports/league files cannot be compatible between versions because of all the various changes.

Of course, you can import an entire OOTP 10 league into OOTP 11.

Or just have someone with OOTP 10 import your OOTP 9 league and then import that into OOTP 11 yourself.
Old 02-04-2010, 08:18 AM   #29
Markus Heinsohn
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post
This +1000. Then +1000 more.

[rant]
We try to fix as many outstanding issues as possible each year. But also please keep in mind, your 'issue' might be a design decision and not an issue to 99% of the other customers. Whenever I read things like "fix what you have before adding new stuff", it makes me angry a bit, because it sounds as if OOTP is a buggy and unstable game. It is not! Considering its complexity and the number of rules + options it handles, it is an incredibly bug-free and stable product.
[/rant]

Last edited by Markus Heinsohn : 02-04-2010 at 08:18 AM.
Old 02-04-2010, 08:21 AM   #30
BigPapi
Mascot

Quote:

....That said, there are a lot of issues that remain from version to version that just aren't getting addressed.

What he said.....I've bought every version of this game so far- but as I sit here, I have no desire to go back to the well again this year- and this is why. I love all the new features Markus adds every year, but so many of the basic details of running a franchise the AI is seemingly incapable of doing correctly. Despite touting "improved AI" with seemingly every update (and usually no details to what exactly was improved), I have finally come to the realization that this type of thing isn't going to ever be good enough for me.....I'll bet the game is a blast with all human owners- but I simply don't have the time for that.

Is Puresim any better at this type of thing (trade AI, player evaluation, prospect management) than OOTP- or is this simply too hard to program realistically?

Last edited by BigPapi : 02-04-2010 at 08:23 AM.
BigPapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 08:38 AM   #31
Markus Heinsohn
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPapi View Post
What he said.....I've bought every version of this game so far- but as I sit here, I have no desire to go back to the well again this year- and this is why. I love all the new features Markus adds every year, but so many of the basic details of running a franchise the AI is seemingly incapable of doing correctly. Despite touting "improved AI" with seemingly every update (and usually no details to what exactly was improved), I have finally come to the realization that this type of thing isn't going to ever be good enough for me.....I'll bet the game is a blast with all human owners- but I simply don't have the time for that.

Is Puresim any better at this type of thing (trade AI, player evaluation, prospect management) than OOTP- or is this simply too hard to program realistically?

No game offers all the roster rules etc. that OOTP does, so the answer is 'no', no other game does it better. Also, no roster AI will ever be as good as the human player, unless it is so complex that it slows the game down to unplayable state.

That being said, most OOTP customers praise the improved AI each new version, so I feel we do a very good job in this area. Is it perfect? No. Is it better than other games? Yes, in my opinion it is.

Last edited by Markus Heinsohn : 02-04-2010 at 08:39 AM.
Old 02-04-2010, 08:39 AM   #32
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Welcome to Hollywood.
Old 02-04-2010, 08:57 AM   #33
SunDevil
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPapi View Post

I have not "gone to the well" for a couple of years now. But I do read the threads here on this board and on the official OOTP board. The theme each and every year is not what new features makes this game great, but instead what are the "new" features from the current version or the "legacy" features from previous versions that must be TURNED OFF because the AI can not handle/perform correctly with these features turned on. If the yearly consistent feedback is no longer what needs to be turned off and instead what a great and easily to setup game it is OUT OF THE BOX then I will purchase this game. Until that time for all the pre order and end of year specials I will not be buying a thing.

Here a couple of threads linked at the OOTP boards:

OOTP 11 - Interface navigation poll!

Plenty of comments about UI quirks from past versions still in the game. Even though at one time this game was part of SI this game still does not have a UI skin feature. SI almost completely removes this whole topic on allowing the users to create their own skin and put the buttons where they want them. Why should button placement be a development task each year?

Feedback Needed / OOTP 11 Features

Plenty of great ideas in this thread, and plenty of improvements that would make this game great. Also plenty of mentions of the same features or fixes that I have seen for years.

More AI oddness

Morale: On or Off

What is "Use pre-defined draft value for AI"?
That's a double whammy and I hate you.
SunDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 09:08 AM   #34
molson
General Manager

I think this franchise is an amazing accomplishment. It's at the point now where the criticisms seem to be directed towards how playing this game isn't exactly like being a Baseball GM.

I mean, Baseball Mogul blew me away 10+ years ago. If I had OOTP back then, I never would have graduated college.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 09:11 AM   #35
Markus Heinsohn
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDevil View Post
OOTP 11 - Interface navigation poll!

Plenty of comments about UI quirks from past versions still in the game. Even though at one time this game was part of SI this game still does not have a UI skin feature. SI almost completely removes this whole topic on allowing the users to create their own skin and put the buttons where they want them. Why should button placement be a development task each year?

Feedback Needed / OOTP 11 Features

Plenty of great ideas in this thread, and plenty of improvements that would make this game great. Also plenty of mentions of the same features or fixes that I have seen for years.

More AI oddness

Morale: On or Off

What is "Use pre-defined draft value for AI"?

Keep in mind that we have thousands of satisfied customers, and the opinions on the forums only represent a very small vocal group... quoting a few threads and drawing conclusions from that does not result in an adequate evaluation of the quality of the game. Those who really love and enjoy the game (which is the huge majority, otherwise we wouldn't be in business anymore) usually do not spend time on forums, they simply play the game.

By the way, the last thread you quoted is not the game's fault, but the user used a custom database which did not have the fields needed to support the feature.

We do our best each year to fix reported problems, tweak existing features to improve them, and add new features in order to attract new and returning customers.

OK, back to work now...

Last edited by Markus Heinsohn : 02-04-2010 at 09:15 AM.
Old 02-04-2010, 09:12 AM   #36
Markus Heinsohn
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I think this franchise is an amazing accomplishment. It's at the point now where the criticisms seem to be directed towards how playing this game isn't exactly like being a Baseball GM.

I mean, Baseball Mogul blew me away 10+ years ago. If I had OOTP back then, I never would have graduated college.

Thanks for the kind words
Old 02-04-2010, 09:34 AM   #37
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

When keeping it real goes wrong.
Old 02-04-2010, 10:12 AM   #38
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
When keeping it real goes wrong.
Holy shit, this almost got me fired for laughing so hard at work.
Old 02-04-2010, 10:55 AM   #39
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Those who really love and enjoy the game (which is the huge majority, otherwise we wouldn't be in business anymore) usually do not spend time on forums, they simply play the game.
Really?...
Old 02-04-2010, 11:00 AM   #40
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

What DG said...that doesn't make any sense...text-based sims are only around because of forums like this one so I would argue that the huge majority of your customers DO spend LOTS of time on forums.

Last edited by johnnyshaka : 02-04-2010 at 11:01 AM.
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 11:13 AM   #41
Markus Heinsohn
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Really?...

Yes. Really

Edit: That does not mean that forums users do not like the game, of course. But the number of active users in the OOTP forum is a lot smaller than the total customers we have...

Last edited by Markus Heinsohn : 02-04-2010 at 11:16 AM.
Old 02-04-2010, 11:14 AM   #42
Rizon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar View Post
H2H

Oh snap!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 11:19 AM   #43
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Yes. Really

Edit: That does not mean that forums users do not like the game, of course. But the number of active users in the OOTP forum is a lot smaller than the total customers we have...

So it's better to just assume that those that aren't vocal are perfectly happy with the game?

Don't get me wrong for the most part I think OOTP is a good product, and it's one of the only computer games I buy, but to me it would be more beneficial to resolve the existing problems the vocal "minority" keep pointing out, than to keep coming out with new versions that still have those problems.

I guess, I'm still a bit miffed from the issues that arose from patches, that ended up stopping our online league for a full month. 30 teams of human players. At $35 bucks a pop that's $1000+ in revenue. I would think those that run leagues would be the ones that you would want to listen to, since so much rides on them upgrading...

Last edited by DanGarion : 02-04-2010 at 11:27 AM.
Old 02-04-2010, 11:19 AM   #44
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Hey, I asked the first question but it never got answered

Can you import an OOTP 9 league into OOTP 11?
Old 02-04-2010, 11:24 AM   #45
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Tzu View Post
Hey, I asked the first question but it never got answered

Can you import an OOTP 9 league into OOTP 11?

it got answered. you can't import it directly. you'd have to have someone import it to a ootp 10 league for you and then import that into ootp 11
Old 02-04-2010, 11:25 AM   #46
DanGarion
Coordinator

Oh and to add to my last post, not to mention we also had two owners that had to quit because things stopped working for them after patches. If you really think about it, leagues generate even more than $1000 in revenue. In that time that the new RWBL has been around we've probably had 45 owners, which would put the revenue generated by one league close to $1500 in just one year. (not taking into consideration those that are in multiple leagues, since I don't know those numbers).

Last edited by DanGarion : 02-04-2010 at 11:26 AM.
Old 02-04-2010, 11:26 AM   #47
Markus Heinsohn
OOTP Developments

Quote:

Don't get me wrong for the most part I think OOTP is a good product, and it's one of the only computer games I buy, but to me it would be more beneficial to resolve the existing problems the vocal "minority" keep pointing out.

We do this ever year, trust me. For example, this time the engine for handling earned/unearned runs was completely recoded so that it works perfectly now. That's just one of many examples.

As long as there is a problem (which is not a design decision) and it is properly reported, I am trying to fix it. Why wouldn't I? We are trying each year to get the balance between fixes, tweaks and new features right. It's not an easy task, but we do our best.

Last edited by Markus Heinsohn : 02-04-2010 at 11:27 AM.
Old 02-04-2010, 11:28 AM   #48
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
it got answered. you can't import it directly. you'd have to have someone import it to a ootp 10 league for you and then import that into ootp 11

Or you can do what has been suggested in the past. Installed the OOTP 10 demo and import into it, and then import into OOTP 11.
Old 02-04-2010, 11:30 AM   #49
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
We do this ever year, trust me. For example, this time the engine for handling earned/unearned runs was completely recoded so that it works perfectly now. That's just one of many examples.

As long as there is a problem (which is not a design decision) and it is properly reported, I am trying to fix it. Why wouldn't I? We are trying each year to get the balance between fixes, tweaks and new features right. It's not an easy task, but we do our best.

If you've been working to get those "lingering problems" worked out, perhaps it might do you some good to make note of that then, so that people feel that they're being addressed, rather than just lumping them in as general things? from a marketing standpoint i mean.
Old 02-04-2010, 11:31 AM   #50
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Quote:
As long as there is a problem (which is not a design decision) and it is properly reported, I am trying to fix it.

How do you properly report issues? I've reported multiple issues in the Tech Support subforum and never get a response, but I'm thinking this might not be the proper mechanism to report issues. I even made a post asking "what is the proper mechanism" and that didn't get a response.

Last edited by lighthousekeeper : 02-04-2010 at 11:32 AM.
lighthousekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote