Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-21-2010, 05:03 PM   #1
AENeuman
College Benchwarmer

Coffee making

Are there any good coffee makers out there? One that does not make bitter and/or luke warm coffee

Right now I use the single cup cone thing, but i hate the time it takes.

AENeuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 05:14 PM   #2
Logan
Head Coach

Keurigs are decent.

Last edited by Logan : 01-21-2010 at 05:14 PM.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 05:17 PM   #3
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Grind that shit and throw it in a filter. WTF.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 05:26 PM   #4
markprior22
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Keurigs are decent.

Love my Keurig...son got it for me last father's day and, while it took some getting used to, I really like it.
markprior22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 05:28 PM   #5
JediKooter
Coordinator

My wife...

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 05:30 PM   #6
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Bitter is more of a reflection of the beans than the maker, unless the coffee is left to sit on the burner for long periods of time.

I have always liked the Bunn coffee makers with an internal reservoir for heating the water. Fastest Pot of Coffee you can expect. You pour water in the top, and water starts flowing into and through the filter.

If the bitterness is a factor of the coffee cooking for long periods of time on the warmer, then you may want a model that dispenses into a carafe.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 05:43 PM   #7
AENeuman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061 View Post
Grind that shit and throw it in a filter. WTF.

If you noticed that's what I said I do. I'm asking if there are any coffee makers that can make as good of a cup (as a single filter), but with the convenience of being automatic.
Old 01-21-2010, 05:52 PM   #8
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

I have had good luck with a Zojirushi, along the lines of Zojirushi Fresh Brew Review

The thermal carafe is a good thing, especially when it may sit for a little bit.

Oddly enough, the Black and Decker Smart Brew gets consistently good ratings. SmartBrewâ„¢ 12-Cup Coffeemaker - Black and Decker® Appliances - DCM2500B

In addition to ensuring that the beans are good, should also ensure that the grind is right for the brewer. The grind for a french press is different from that for an auto dripper.

I know some people who like the Cuisinart Grind & Brew (You have reached this page in error - Cuisinart.com, but I've heard it's a real pain to clean, and that's of course the other real key thing. Using cold, filtered water to start with and keeping it clean...

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 05:59 PM   #9
DanGarion
Coordinator

Check out one of the most recent episodes of Good Eats. Alton Brown suggestion boiling the water, adding a pinch of salt to the water and using a French press.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 06:04 PM   #10
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post
Check out one of the most recent episodes of Good Eats. Alton Brown suggestion boiling the water, adding a pinch of salt to the water and using a French press.

While I whole-heartedly endorse the use of a French Press, I think he was trying to find a drip machine that would give a good brew.

Cooks Illustrated likes the Technivorm Moccamaster Coffeemaker, but it's hella expensive: http://www.surlatable.com/product/id...:referralID=NA

For inexpensive coffee makers, they like the Black & Decker SmartBrew 12-cup coffee maker (posted earlier).
Old 01-21-2010, 06:29 PM   #11
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AENeuman View Post
If you noticed that's what I said I do. I'm asking if there are any coffee makers that can make as good of a cup (as a single filter), but with the convenience of being automatic.

I figured single cup coned thing referred to some other device I wasn't aware of. Either way, I wasn't really serious. I'm a coffee snob to a completely unreasonable degree.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 06:32 PM   #12
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061 View Post
I figured single cup coned thing referred to some other device I wasn't aware of. Either way, I wasn't really serious. I'm a coffee snob to a completely unreasonable degree.

I used to have one like this Amazon.com: swissgold® KF 300 One-Cup Coffee Filter: Kitchen & Dining

Is this what you're talking about? Just pour and be ready?

/tk
Old 01-21-2010, 08:21 PM   #13
AENeuman
College Benchwarmer

thanks for the suggestions. we are putting together our wedding registry and this is a big help

for you snobs out there, how do you make your coffee?

i thought the french press was good but the clean up was too much to do everyday. the best flavor was a cold brew, but it is very wasteful (esp for those who like it strong) the single cup/filter seems to be the easiest and most consistent taste. i've experimented with different water temp, "wetting the grounds", grinds and beans and pour rate, but have yet to find the perfect cup
Old 01-21-2010, 08:22 PM   #14
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Amazon.com: Cuisinart DCC-1200BW Brew Central 12-Cup Programmable Coffeemaker, Matte Black Metals: Kitchen & Dining

Best coffee pot I've ever had. And *lasts*. You can beat the living shit out of this thing, and it'll keep on trucking.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 08:23 PM   #15
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
i thought the french press was good but the clean up was too much to do everyday. the best flavor was a cold brew, but it is very wasteful (esp for those who like it strong) the single cup/filter seems to be the easiest and most consistent taste. i've experimented with different water temp, "wetting the grounds", grinds and beans and pour rate, but have yet to find the perfect cup

Good, *FRESH* coffee, preferably from a small batch roaster that can tell you the day the coffee was roasted, ground on the spot, good clean pot, good clean water. S'all you need. And make sure you remove the coffee immediately from the burner once it's ready, and xfer to a carafe.

Last edited by Coffee Warlord : 01-21-2010 at 08:24 PM.
Old 01-21-2010, 08:28 PM   #16
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
Amazon.com: Cuisinart DCC-1200BW Brew Central 12-Cup Programmable Coffeemaker, Matte Black Metals: Kitchen & Dining

Best coffee pot I've ever had. And *lasts*. You can beat the living shit out of this thing, and it'll keep on trucking.

Heh, I had a feeling what I was going to see before I even looked.

That's my spare coffee maker now (finally got a restaurant style plumbed unit like I always wanted when we moved here) only went through 3 of them before I got one that lasted more than a month.
Old 01-21-2010, 08:32 PM   #17
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Heh, I had a feeling what I was going to see before I even looked.

That's my spare coffee maker now (finally got a restaurant style plumbed unit like I always wanted when we moved here) only went through 3 of them before I got one that lasted more than a month.

You actually managed to break one (three) of those?
Old 01-21-2010, 08:35 PM   #18
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
You actually managed to break one (three) of those?

First one died after about a month, replacement died in less than two weeks.
The third one finally lasted probably a year and is in the back basement as a spare now.
Old 01-21-2010, 08:40 PM   #19
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
First one died after about a month, replacement died in less than two weeks.
The third one finally lasted probably a year and is in the back basement as a spare now.

Wild. Either you got incredibly unlucky, or I've gotten incredibly lucky. Me and the folks have had the same model coffee pot for years, and both of 'em are still kicking (mine's been going strong for at least 4 years now, theirs longer). And they drink about as much java as I do.

Last edited by Coffee Warlord : 01-21-2010 at 08:41 PM.
Old 01-21-2010, 08:45 PM   #20
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Quote:

Funny, I have the same exact one. I love my Kona Coffee brewed from that thing. MMMMMMyes
Old 01-22-2010, 07:41 AM   #21
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
thanks for the suggestions. we are putting together our wedding registry and this is a big help

for you snobs out there, how do you make your coffee?

I am a snob, and the french press sucks. On every model I have found, the cap just slips on the carafe, leaving some sort of gap. The coffee always ends up gritty. At work I now have a brookstone coffee for one on my desk. Makes a small but great cup of coffee - and fast.
Old 01-22-2010, 08:27 AM   #22
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:

Holy Crap! We have the same coffee maker!

And like CW, it's worked great. Doesn't burn the coffee when left sitting for a good long time, seems to brew the coffee well, isn't a pain to clean, takes a lot of abuse and you can even easily program it.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 08:31 AM   #23
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

BTW, according to Alton Brown (I saw the show mentioned above), bitterness comes more from the roasting method than the beans, per se. Longer roast = more bitter. There are, as I understand, some exceptions.

Also, and this blew my mind, but longer (read: deeper) roast = less caffeine. On the basis that roasting also breaks down the caffeine in the coffee bean.

So if you've been drinking light roast thinking it has somewhat less caffeine than, say, French Roast, well... now you know.

Last edited by flere-imsaho : 01-22-2010 at 08:31 AM. Reason: speeeeeeeeeeeling
Old 01-22-2010, 08:50 AM   #24
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post
I

I know some people who like the Cuisinart Grind & Brew (You have reached this page in error - Cuisinart.com, but I've heard it's a real pain to clean, and that's of course the other real key thing.
/tk

This is what I've had for the last two years. It is a pain to clean. It's actually not that horrible, but you definitely need to clean it out after every pot and that involves cleaning 4 separate components, one of which needs a pretty thorough cleaning to ensure a proper brew.

The cofee is pretty tasty, but the only drawback is that the coffee doesn't stay hot for long. If you don't get to the coffee within the first 1/2 hour the coffee begins to cool. That might not be a problem for everyone, but I like my coffee quite hot.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 08:53 AM   #25
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Yeah, I've heard the Cuisinart that grinds the beans itself (mine doesn't) is a pain to clean. So I have a separate grinder, which is something I recommend. The basic Krups one works well and is amazingly easy to clean.

You can also use it in a pinch to grind spices. To make sure the flavor of the spices doesn't then infect your coffee, I use a trick from Mark Bittman: grind white rice in the grinder. I didn't think it would work, but it did. After grinding mustard seeds and cumin seeds in the grinder, I did a separate grind with white rice, and then ground coffee. No cumin nor mustard seed flavor in the coffee.

This just because I'm too lazy to buy another Krups grinder... though I don't grind spices all that often, so....
Old 01-22-2010, 09:18 AM   #26
Samdari
Roster Filler

I actually intentionally did not clean the grinder last time I ground cumin.

The coffee was actually quite good.
Old 01-22-2010, 09:31 AM   #27
Klinglerware
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post

Cooks Illustrated likes the Technivorm Moccamaster Coffeemaker, but it's hella expensive: http://www.surlatable.com/product/id...:referralID=NA

I have one of these. I have mixed feelings on it--you definitely can get good coffee from it, but there is a lot of trial and error involved in getting the coffee to taste the way you want (e.g. experimenting with the coarseness of the grind, different water to coffee ratios, etc).
Klinglerware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 09:41 AM   #28
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

This isn't what you are looking for, but for those interested it can make a really good cup of espresso very quickly and cheaply:

Moka (coffee pot - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

I got one as a gift, and it set on the shelf for a year. Then one day I decided to use it and was very happy with the result.

Last edited by albionmoonlight : 01-22-2010 at 09:42 AM.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 09:45 AM   #29
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
I have one of the DeLonghi Magnifica machines. I've had it for over 5 years now and love it.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 10:04 AM   #30
Drake
assmaster

I never spend more than $15 on a coffee maker. Our water is so hard, it just eats them up. If I can squeeze 4 months out of one before it self-destructs from the lime buildup, I consider it a battle-scarred veteran and give it a hero's burial when it dies.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 10:59 AM   #31
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

I dunno, my Gevalia was pretty good until the float stopped working. We are now using a single-cup maker, and it works fine. Doesn't take very long either.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote