Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-20-2010, 11:07 PM   #1
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Dolphins Stadium, Pro Player Stadium, Landshark Stadium...now Sun Life Stadium

Jeeze...how often do they change the damn name?

Former names

Joe Robbie Stadium (1987–1996)
Pro Player Park (1996)
Pro Player Stadium (1996–2005)
Dolphins Stadium (2005-2006)
Land Shark Stadium (2009–2010)[1]
Dolphin Stadium (2006–2009; 2010)
Sun Life Stadium (2010-present)[2]

Quote:
Less than three weeks before the Super Bowl, Sun Life Financial Inc. (SLF-TSX) has scored a key sponsorship at one of the most-watched sports events for a bargain price.
The Toronto-based insurer paid $4-million (U.S.) a year to hang its logo on what will now be called Sun Life Stadium in Miami, home to three high-profile teams and the site of this year's NFL championship game.
The 10-year marketing deal will cost half what major league stadium sponsorships fetched before last year's financial meltdown. In comparison, Citigroup dropped $400-million in 2006 to sign a 20-year marketing deal with the New York Mets baseball team. Bank of America Corp. started paying $7.5-million a year in 2004 to have its name on the home of Carolina Panthers football stadium in Charlotte, N.C., while in Philadelphia, rival insurer Lincoln Financial drops $6.7-million annually for the rights to the home of the NFL's Eagles.
“This is the first sponsorship deal of a new era, and it does set a new threshold,” said Priscilla Brown, Sun Life's senior vice-president for U.S. marketing. While Ms. Brown declined to comment on specifics of the insurer's deal with the stadium, sources close to Sun Life said the $40-million, 10-year marketing contract is guaranteed for its first five years.
Sun Life struck more than just an advertising deal, as Ms. Brown said it has the right to host events at the stadium for sales staff and key clients – it has a suite set aside for the Super Bowl. And the insurer will use the sponsorship to anchor community programs, with $250,000 a year earmarked for a campaign tied to the stadium that will recognize youth leaders in community work in Miami and other cities.
“We are a household name in Canada, but there's very little awareness of Sun Life in the U.S. market, and this sponsorship will build brand awareness,” said Ms. Brown. She said key markets for the insurer are wealthy individuals and boomers with retirement savings needs, overlapping demographics well represented in Florida as residents, tourists and sports fans.
In addition to hosting NFL games, Sun Life Stadium is home to major league baseball's Florida Marlins – the team moves to new digs in 2012 – and the storied Miami Hurricanes college football program. For exposure to all these teams, the insurer will pay about the same price that Royal Bank of Canada spent to secure naming rights to the home of the NHL's Carolina Hurricanes, a hockey team with a regional following.
“Surveys of American sports fans show NFL football, baseball and college football rank one-two-three in their relevance, and we're now part of a multi-use stadium that's home to all three sports,” Ms. Brown said.
And with all due respect to the Hurricanes, there's more buzz associated with Miami and its football experience than what's happening at a rink in North Carolina.
While they didn't make the NFL playoffs this season, the Miami Dolphins are generating all kinds of excitement under new owner Stephen Ross, who made his fortune in real estate.
To reach out to new fans, all potential clients of Sun Life, Mr. Ross had built ties into the South Florida community by selling small stakes in the football team to celebrities. Singers with enormous cross-cultural pull such as Marc Anthony and wife Jennifer Lopez, and Gloria Estefan and her husband, producer Emilio Estefan, are minority owners. So are the Williams sisters, of tennis fame.
The 76,500-seat facility first opened in 1987 as Joe Robbie Stadium, named for the Dolphins' founding owner. Since then, it has been called Pro Player Park, Pro Player Stadium, Dolphins Stadium, Dolphin Stadium and – since last May – Land Shark Stadium. That name reflects a beer that's flogged by singer Jimmy Buffet. Sun Life's Ms. Brown said: “The spirit of this deal is that this will be the last name for the stadium.”
Sports marketing is part of a larger U.S. blitz from Sun Life. The insurer recently launched a television advertising campaign that features two characters – Karl and Miles – wandering the country trying to get the Sun Life name attached to concepts associated with the sun.
One spot has the pair trying to convince KC and the Sunshine Band to change its name to “KC and the Sun Life Band.” Wednesday's sponsorship announcement in Miami featured a special performance by the 1970s-era group. Karl and Miles are also trying to get the Cirque du Soleil rebranded as the Cirque du Sun Life, and want Sun Valley, Idaho rechristened as Sun Life Valley.

JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 11:08 PM   #2
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

That last part is kind of sad.
JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 11:36 PM   #3
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

After the name had been changed to Land Shark Stadium I saw a six-pack of Land Shark beer on the shelves and decided to give it a shot. Bad call. I will never be a Sun Life client.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 08:13 AM   #4
B & B
College Benchwarmer

Location: A sports era long ago when everything didnt require a Nike logo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
After the name had been changed to Land Shark Stadium I saw a six-pack of Land Shark beer on the shelves and decided to give it a shot. Bad call. I will never be a Sun Life client.

You actually bought and drank Buffet juice? For shame.

What better? Buffet Juice or Miller Chill?
Old 01-21-2010, 08:21 AM   #5
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsIn06 View Post
Jeeze...how often do they change the damn name?
Once every 3 years 10 months.

You're Welcome.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 10:44 AM   #6
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

It will always be Joe Robbie Stadium fuck that other shit.

Last edited by Noop : 01-21-2010 at 10:44 AM.
Noop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 10:47 AM   #7
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

I hope that Patriot Insurance Co. forms a hostile takeover. Coming to you live from Patriot Stadium, home of the Miami Dolphins...
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 10:56 AM   #8
sooner333
College Starter

Wasn't the Landshark deal not even for money, just for the rights to two Buffett concerts where the team got all the revenue?
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 11:53 AM   #9
markprior22
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by M GO BLUE!!! View Post
I hope that Patriot Insurance Co. forms a hostile takeover. Coming to you live from Patriot Stadium, home of the Miami Dolphins...

That would be sweet
markprior22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 12:02 PM   #10
Rizon
Pro Starter

It will always be Joe Robbie Stadium. Fuck all those other names.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 12:25 PM   #11
Izulde
Head Coach

It will always be Joe Robbie Stadium. Fuck all those other names.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 12:37 PM   #12
Rizon
Pro Starter

Shit, logged into the wrong account again ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 12:44 PM   #13
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by M GO BLUE!!! View Post

I LOL'd
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 04:13 PM   #14
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

It'll always be Scott Pose Stadium to me.

/obscure