Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-18-2010, 01:07 PM   #1
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

If you knew then what you know now (Sports Related)

My friends and I were having a little debate this weekend about what was the greatest live sporting even they ever attended and most of them were all local teams or college that we either went to school there or have been fans of since we were younger.

But then it got me to think about this next topic. Knowing what you know now about the outcome...if you had a time machine and could get tickets to any sporting event what would it be?

Mine was pretty simple...I would've loved to be in the arena in Lake Placid NY to watch the 1980 USA Hockey team beat the Soviets. My runner up was to be following Jack Nicklaus in 1986 in the final round of The Masters as he won his final major and Green Jacket.

What about you guys/gals?

Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 01:16 PM   #2
Logan
Head Coach

Game 7 of Rangers-Devils in the 1994 Eastern Conference Finals, with a close runner-up being Game 7 of the Cup Finals that year.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 01:24 PM   #3
DeToxRox
Head Coach

1996, Michigan vs Ohio State. The game that solidified Charles Woodson's Heisman campaign.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 01:28 PM   #4
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

time machine? any sporting event?

that's tough - so many great choices - a great Pele match? Babe Ruth "calling his shot?" The first Olympics?
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 02:07 PM   #5
TroyF
Coordinator

US Olympic Hockey team vs. Russia for sure.

Twins/Braves game 6 in '91. (my favorite player was Kirby, I wish I could go back in time and think of him as a good guy again)

The rest wouldn't be events, they'd be individual players or teams. I'd love to go back in time and actually watch Unitas, Bill Russel, Willy Mays, Mickey Mantle, Babe Ruth, and countless others.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 02:12 PM   #6
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Foreman vs. Ali in Zaire would be a good time.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 02:29 PM   #7
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Lakers/Blazers Game 7...no, no...UCLA/Gonzaga......Oh man I can't decide.
Old 01-18-2010, 02:30 PM   #8
BYU 14
Coordinator

Baseball
Being a huge fan and study of early 20th century Baseball I would have to September 6th 1912 to watch the greatest pitching duel ever between Smokey Joe Wood and Walter Johnson.

Honorable mention to Babe's called shot in the '32 World Series.

Football
Easy, though I watched it on TV the 1984 Holiday bowl between BYU and Michigan.

Boxing
The Jack Johnson / Jame Jeffries HW title fight in 1910, can only imagine the spectacle that was.

Last edited by BYU 14 : 01-18-2010 at 02:31 PM.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 02:36 PM   #9
rowech
Pro Starter

I don't see how one couldn't choose USA-USSR. (Soviets excluded perhaps) My close second would be 2006 Rose Bowl.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 03:12 PM   #10
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Game 7 of Rangers-Devils in the 1994 Eastern Conference Finals, with a close runner-up being Game 7 of the Cup Finals that year.
Bite me.

I would go with the New Orleans VooDoo's very first home game on February 14, 2004. The VooDoo won on a last-second touchdown over the Indiana Firebirds. I think that game set the tone for the VooDoo's great success in New Orleans. The only reason I didn't go to that game was because I was getting married that day.

My comedy answer is this season's Browns-Lions game in Detroit. At the end of the game and down by 6 points, Matt Stafford throws a hail mary pass, gets crunched by a Cleveland player, and injures his shoulder. The Browns intercept the pass, but they get called for pass interference in the end zone. Because Stafford is injured and needs to be helped off the field, he has to sit out the untimed play from the 1 yard line. Daunte Culpepper runs onto the field, but as the Lions are lining up, the Browns call a timeout. The timeout allows the now one-armed Stafford to come back into the game. Stafford throws a game-tying touchdown pass to Brandon Pettigrew and immediately races off the field clutching his hurt shoulder. Jason Hanson adds the extra point and the Lions win, 38-37. With apologies to Brandon Stokley, that was the greatest finish to a regular-season game all year.

You know, I take it back. That's not my comedy answer at all. That's my real answer. Screw the VooDoo.
Old 01-18-2010, 03:16 PM   #11
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

The Sabers game where Clint Malarchuck got his throat slashed, that would be pretty cool to see live.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 03:25 PM   #12
gstelmack
Pro Starter

USA-USSR would probably be #1 on my list as well. Maybe game 4 of the 2004 ALCS that started the Sox' comeback. And probably the Pats' first Super Bowl win vs the Rams.
Old 01-18-2010, 03:29 PM   #13
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

USA-USSR #1 and nothing else comes close.

Next would probably be July 4th, 1939, Lou Gehrig Appreciation day and then Don Larsen's perfect game in the World Series.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 03:32 PM   #14
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I was too young to know about the USA/USSR hockey game, and my family didn't care about hockey, so I don't think it was on at my house. I don't think I'd care so much about actually being there, though. Frankly, I would like to go back and watch that game on TV with no knowledge of the outcome, just to hear Al Michaels at the end. Listen, I get how big the win was for the USA as a country, and I'm not trying to downplay that aspect at all, but at least to my admittedly too-young-to-realize mind, "Do you believe in miracles?" elevated that game to a completely different level. Not sure it would have a greater impact on me if I were actually at the game.
Old 01-18-2010, 03:43 PM   #15
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

The only match I really wish I'd seen that I missed was England vs Holland in the Euro96 competition, England stuffed them 4-1 in a performance which was immense imho.

I was working in America at the time and did catch the match highlights - but the thing was I HAD tickets for the match, but unfortunately was called to work abroad during the tournament (so gave them to a very happy friend ).

PS - We then went out against Germany on penalties as per usual ... causing the very quotable comment of "Football is a game of two halves, between 2 sides of 11 men, and at the end of the game Germany win on penalties." from Gary Lineker.

Last edited by Marc Vaughan : 01-18-2010 at 03:45 PM.
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 03:54 PM   #16
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
The Sabers game where Clint Malarchuck got his throat slashed, that would be pretty cool to see live.

Err...?!

I mean I'm all for funny answers, but that one just made me cringe (both the memory of it and the idea that you could even joke about it being cool to see live).

Personally, while a lot of you are picking the Miracle on Ice, I'd probably go back a bit further for the Canada/Russia summit series in 72.
Old 01-18-2010, 03:56 PM   #17
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

thats disturbing lathum.

I would just visit all the ones I want to see, why does the time machine stop working after one?
Old 01-18-2010, 04:05 PM   #18
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by k0ruptr View Post
I would just visit all the ones I want to see, why does the time machine stop working after one?

Just remember to bring more plutonium because otherwise you will have to find a lightning strike (which are random) or you need to get a Mr. Fusion.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 04:09 PM   #19
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

The Berlin Olympics with Jessie Owens would be pretty special, but only if I got to see every event he won.
Old 01-18-2010, 04:23 PM   #20
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

Reopening of the dome. Saints - Falcons.

I was at the game, and I don't think even a superbowl win would feel the same as that night did.
Doug5984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 04:36 PM   #21
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

'Bama vs U of Miami for the title in 92'. Best sports day ever was seeing Michigan in the Rose Bowl and then driving home listening to the title game as my brother and I listened while being amazed by it all and then getting home to watch the rest of it. To even see 'Bama play period, and then to have that game unfold like it did.
Old 01-18-2010, 04:51 PM   #22
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

MY real answer to the question would probably be 2005 World series (pick a game) or Mark Buehrle's perfecto.
Old 01-18-2010, 04:51 PM   #23
saldana
Pro Starter

niners vs bengals superbowl...montana to taylor to end The Drive

niners vs cowboys nfc champ game, montana to clark for The Catch

usa vs ussr
saldana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 05:00 PM   #24
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Game 6 of the 1995 World Series (Atlanta Fulton County Stadium, Atlanta, Georgia) - Tom Glavine pitched eight innings of one hit ball, David Justice hit a home run after calling out the fans, and the Braves beat the Indians 1-0 to clinch their only championship in that streak of division wins.

1999 Champions League Final (Camp Nou, Barcelona, Spain) - Manchester United beat Bayern Munich 2-1 with Teddy Sheringham and Ole Gunnar Solskjær scoring in extra time, topping off an amazing season in which they also won the league and FA Cup.

1998/9 FA Cup semi-final replay (Villa Park, Birmingham, England) - A classic game Man Utd won 2-1. This game had it all, a great long range goal from David Beckham to open the scoring, Dennis Bergkamp equalized with a fine long shot of his own, Roy Keane was sent off late, Peter Schmeichel saved Bergkamp's penalty kick in extra time, then in the second period of extra time Ryan Giggs scored an amazing goal where he dribbled through six Arsenal players before slamming an angled shot into the roof of the net.

2002 World Cup, second round (Jeonju World Cup Stadium, Jeonju, South Korea) - USA beat Mexico 2-0 in the only time the two arch rivals have met in the World Cup Finals. Brian McBride scored early after some slick passing from Claudio Reyna and Josh Wolff, Brad Friedel made several fine saves, Mexico were not given a penalty when John O'Brien cleared a corner kick with his fist (known has the Hand of John incident), Landon Donovan headed home an Eddie Lewis cross in the second half, that piece of shit Rafael Marquez was sent off for kicking Cobi Jones late in the match out of frustration. The biggest result for the US national team in modern history and the ultimate top trump for when USA and Mexico fans talk trash to one another.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 05:08 PM   #25
DataKing
Pro Rookie

No contest...

1981 AFC Divisional Playoff Game...Kellen Winslow's epic performance in San Diego's 41-38 overtime win over the Dolphins.

Watched it on TV as a youngster, and Winslow being carried off the field at the end of the game still gives me goosebumps. It remains the single most iconic image in NFL history IMHO.
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)

Last edited by DataKing : 01-18-2010 at 05:09 PM.
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 05:17 PM   #26
JeeberDMack
Mascot

1966 NCAA Championship game, Texas Western over Rupp's Runts. No contest...
JeeberDMack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 05:38 PM   #27
henry296
College Starter

December 23, 1972... my parents wedding day but also the Immaculate Reception.
Old 01-18-2010, 05:41 PM   #28
RainMaker
General Manager

Nothing could possibly come close to the US/USSR game. From an international standpoint, US/England World Cup soccer in 1950 or the World Cup Qualifier against Trinidad that got them into the World Cup a couple decades ago (and saved U.S. Soccer).

Some others:

- Ali (Clay) beating Sonny Liston
- Jets beating Colts in Super Bowl
- Shot Heard Round the World
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 05:45 PM   #29
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Definitely the USA/USSR 1980 game.

I'd like to say Game 4 of the 1997 Stanley Cup Finals, but I saw the Wings win the Cup live the following year in DC and even though I watched the 1997 game on TV, I did it surrounded by friends and it was a glorious evening. I am not sure being there, without all my friends, would have been all that much better.

The 1991 Lions/Cowboys playoff game. It's the Lions only playoff win in my lifetime.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 05:52 PM   #30
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry296 View Post
December 23, 1972... my parents wedding day but also the Immaculate Reception.

I thought that was going to say the Immaculate Conception!
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 06:09 PM   #31
Pyser
Pro Rookie

i always thought itd be cool to go to the dodgers game a few years ago while in the middle of the pennant race, a half game down (in september), down 4 runs in the bottom of the 9th, they hit FOUR back to back home runs to tie it up and take it into extra innings...where in the 10th the dodgers gave up a run, then won it on a 2 run walk-off homer in the bottom of the 10th.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 06:28 PM   #32
RainMaker
General Manager

I'd also love to go to a baseball game back in the early days. Maybe see Babe Ruth pointing out to Centerfield. Just that old atmosphere of the men wearing suits to the games and without all the electronics and crap everywhere.
Old 01-18-2010, 06:49 PM   #33
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I'd also love to go to a baseball game back in the early days. Maybe see Babe Ruth pointing out to Centerfield. Just that old atmosphere of the men wearing suits to the games and without all the electronics and crap everywhere.

Do they play baseball in Amish country? You could probably still see that.
Old 01-18-2010, 08:34 PM   #34
ColtCrazy
College Starter

No interest in hockey, even if it's historically significant, so the USA/USSR game wouldn't crack my top 50.

For me, the 1987 NCAA final with IU beating Syracuse would be #1.

Even though I'm not a bug Liverpool fan (prefer Arsenal or ManU) I'd love to have seen the 2005 Champions League final when they came back from 3-0 to beat AC Milan.

I've been to the 2 best Colts games I've ever seen, the 2006 AFC Championship game and the Pats game this year. If I could see one, probably the 06 Super Bowl just to be there, or the comeback in 2003 against the Bucs.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 08:48 PM   #35
Radii
Head Coach

1982 NCAA Title game, Worthy, Perkins, Jordan and Ewing all on the court together, dominant game from Worthy, Ewing goaltending left and right intimidating the hell out of everyone, and of course Jordan's shot in the final 20 seconds.

1983 NCAA Title game, NC State upsetting Houston

2001 world series game 7 between the yankees and dbacks, 1991 world series game 7(morris and smoltz duel, 1-0 twins win in the 10th).

Rams/Titans super bowl or maybe Namath's win in Super Bowl III.
Radii is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 08:51 PM   #36
JS19
College Prospect

Toss up between the Giants Super Bowl victory over the Pats, Game 6 of the '86 World Series and the Duke/Kentucky regional final game in '92.

Last edited by JS19 : 01-18-2010 at 08:54 PM.
JS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 08:53 PM   #37
digamma
Torchbearer

Harvard beats Yale 29-29 in 1968.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 09:03 PM   #38
RedHawk00
H.S. Freshman Team

i am happy to say i was at my #1, 1995 divisional round game 5 Mariners defeat the Yankees in extras. As a Seattlite, not many great moments in our history, but that ranks at the top for me. Not many people remember The Big Unit came in during the 11th inning and would have been the goat, if not for Cora, Griffey, & Edgar's heroics.
RedHawk00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 09:27 PM   #39
bhlloy
Coordinator

25th May 2003 - Cardiff City vs QPR in the division 2 playoff final. I had a football game and probably wouldn't have got tickets anyway as I was away at college and didn't make it to many home games that year, but it's still one of my biggest regrets that I didn't find a way go. I caught the last 15 mins of extra time including the winning goal in an O'Neills in Ipswich and was just going insane running around a pub filled with Celtic supporters crying about losing the league earlier in the day.

Either that or the 1927 FA Cup final, although I think sporting events were a little too restrained for my liking back then
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 10:23 PM   #40
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Eh, why not:

April 4, 1983, Albuquerque, NM: NC State 54, Houston 52..."The Cinderella Team has done it! The Wolfpack has won the national championship!" I was seven and between six and seven was when I finally really started grasping what sports and championships were really about and what it meant to win and be #1. To be there and be there as I am now and (tragically) knowing how the next 30 years of NC State basketball would unfold, I think I'd probably weep at the end.

June 19, 2006, Raleigh, NC: Hurricanes 3, Oilers 1, Stanley Cup Finals, Game 7. "Hurricanes steal! Staal getsitupthemiddletoWilliamswhoswalkinginonanopennetandhejustwon the Stanley Cup!" This, just because I wanted to go bananas when I watched it live on CBC in Ann Arbor, but couldn't because my wife was holding our sleeping newborn at the moment of the third goal.

Others:
*State-Carolina at Reynolds in 1983, which most fans who were there tend to think of as probably the loudest game they've ever been to.
*State-Maryland for the ACC basketball title in 1974
*State-UCLA in the 1974 Final Four, just to see David Thompson play
*Any Canes playoff game from 2002, 2006, and 2009, especially Game 1 of the 2002 Finals in Detroit, Game 2 in 2006 against New Jersey, Game 1 against Edmonton in 2006, and any game in the New Jersey and Boston series last year.

Beyond my own fandom, there'd be:
*Miracle on Ice
*Any game for the 1992 Dream Team just to see all that talent on display at once
*1958 NFL championship, the first of the "Greatest Game" genre
*Roger Maris's or Hank Aaron's record-breaking home run games, and for that matter a game during Ruth's 60-HR season to see him play
*Jackie Robinson's first game
*Wilt's 100-point game
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 10:37 PM   #41
FBPro
College Starter

Saw Willie Mays hit 500th HR (I think, or either 600) in ATL, also saw Braves win 13th straight game to open season.
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 10:57 PM   #42
PilotMan
Head Coach

I'd go to Dodger Stadium in 1988 and watch Kirk Gibson hobble out of the dugout.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 05:45 AM   #43
Bearcat729
College Benchwarmer

Well besides game 2 of the '90 World Series which I was lucky enough to go to.

I would love to go back to the '86 AFC Championship game and try and prevent Elway from finishing the drive.
Old 01-19-2010, 06:14 AM   #44
spleen1015
Coordinator

September 6, 1995 - Baltimore Orioles vs. California Angels
Old 01-19-2010, 07:01 AM   #45
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
I'd go to Dodger Stadium in 1988 and watch Kirk Gibson hobble out of the dugout.
Shit, that would be awesome. Forgot about that one.

The McGwire record breaker would have been cool if I went back in time and was as naive about steroids as I was back then.
Old 01-19-2010, 08:20 AM   #46
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

USA/USSR

Also, the first Rocky v. Apollo Creed fight.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 06:09 PM   #47
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

For sheer magnitude, USA/USSR would be great.

As a Pittsburgher, already mentioned above by hnry, 12/23/72, Immaculate Reception.

One other that would be a cool "I was there" game, 12/31/88, Lemiuex scores 5 goals/5 ways vs the Devils.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 06:23 PM   #48
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

Secretariat winning the Belmont
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 06:39 PM   #49
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Game 4 2004 WS
1980 USA-USSR
Old 01-19-2010, 06:46 PM   #50
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

1951 National League Pennant (Giants vs. Dodgers - "The Giants Win the Pennant")

1969 World Series, Game 5 (The Amazins' win it!)

1986 World Series, Game 6 (Mets vs. Red Sox and Buckner lets the ball go)

2001 World Series, Game 7 (D-Backs vs. Yankees with Rivera giving up the winning hit)

2005 - South Florida at Rutgers (Rutgers knocks off the #2 ranked Bulls)

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 01-19-2010 at 06:47 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote