Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-15-2010, 07:47 AM   #1
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Jimmy Kimmel brutalizes Jay Leno on his own show

No, not the impression. This is on Jay Leno's show where someone had the brilliant idea to have Kimmel on:

Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 08:06 AM   #2
BYU 14
Coordinator

Yeah, that worked out well for Jay.......

Loved the what was the greatest prank you pulled on anybody question.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 08:22 AM   #3
cuervo72
Head Coach

Wow...oof.
Old 01-15-2010, 08:33 AM   #4
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Again- we've been going over this in the "Jay Leno to stay with NBC" thread. To me, it was just painful to watch. A bunch of millionaires getting in a pissing match and people who wouldn't even normally watch the shows are making sure to look at the trainwreck. And people love it.

It's any wonder we, as a society, actually accomplish anything. Ever.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 08:37 AM   #5
Kodos
Resident Alien

Here's an idea. Don't watch it.
Old 01-15-2010, 08:39 AM   #6
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

the first one was kinda funny... but, whatever.

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 02:52 PM   #7
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Again- we've been going over this in the "Jay Leno to stay with NBC" thread. To me, it was just painful to watch. A bunch of millionaires getting in a pissing match

I see some irony here. Would you prefer that these guys rested on their millions of dollars and didn't give a shit about what was happening with their shows? The easy thing for Conan would have been to deal with the move, not risk losing any portion of his fat contract, and continue to dance for NBC.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 03:12 PM   #8
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

I have known a lot of people in my life who say they wish they were wealthy enough to take a firm stand in the workplace regarding personal integrity/ethics that an employer forces them to compromise. It is interesting to see people who have all of the means to such things, and apparently willingly pass it up (or just don't have the level of integrity/ethics that I do, which is ok since only they have to deal with it when looking in the mirror each day).
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 03:21 PM   #9
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Here's an idea. Don't watch it.

+1

Kimmel's smackdown of Leno was brilliant and something that I'm glad was said to Leno's face.
Old 01-15-2010, 03:29 PM   #10
Airhog
Captain Obvious

How could Jay not have known that Kimmel was going to rip him? It seems like half of those questions where setup specifically. I think Jay did this on purpose just to generate some more news

Thread Killer extraordinaire

Yay! its football season once again!
Airhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 03:32 PM   #11
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Fully agree with you there Airhog. It has to be on purpose; if not it is so exceedingly stupid that it's unfathomable.
Old 01-15-2010, 03:34 PM   #12
larrymcg421
Head Coach

If it was on purpose, then I don't think Leno was prepared for how hard Kimmel was going to hit him. He seemed really uncomfortable at the end.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 03:37 PM   #13
SackAttack
Head Coach

I think Leno expected some heat, but I don't think he expected the claws to be out fully like that.

That was hilarious and uncomfortable to watch at the same time.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 03:51 PM   #14
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
I see some irony here. Would you prefer that these guys rested on their millions of dollars and didn't give a shit about what was happening with their shows? The easy thing for Conan would have been to deal with the move, not risk losing any portion of his fat contract, and continue to dance for NBC.

How is it not a pissing match? "Continue to dance for NBC"? I feel for him in that his working conditions are obviously not optimal. But, really, what does it prove either way? That sounds like a "I don't get any respect" card to me, which, yeah, boils down to a pissing match.

It's a bit disingenuous to say "we have children to feed, you just have cars" when I'm sure Kimmel is making seven figures and Conan is signed to a $40M contract. Neither of them are going to be out on the street, starving and that's what they're trying to pretend this is.

Do I feel as if they shouldn't be trying to maximize their earning potential? Not really- the only question it really begs is "when is too much not enough". However, solve this problem out of the public spotlight. Don't be asking for sympathy, trying to make one or the other look like worse guy, between a set of millionaires- not in any economic environment but especially right now. They all look like spoiled children.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 01-15-2010 at 03:53 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 04:26 PM   #15
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
If it was on purpose, then I don't think Leno was prepared for how hard Kimmel was going to hit him. He seemed really uncomfortable at the end.
Yeah, seemed sort of like Rocky vs. Thunderlips. "Hey, you chase me around, I'll chase you around," and then suddenly Kimmel is throwing Leno into the front row.
Old 01-15-2010, 04:29 PM   #16
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
Yeah, seemed sort of like Rocky vs. Thunderlips. "Hey, you chase me around, I'll chase you around," and then suddenly Kimmel is throwing Leno into the front row.
That is absolutely fantastic on so many levels...
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 04:30 PM   #17
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Why Some Comics Aren't Laughing at Jay Leno (Essay) - Speakeasy - WSJ

Crossposted in the other thread.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 05:37 PM   #18
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
However, solve this problem out of the public spotlight. Don't be asking for sympathy, trying to make one or the other look like worse guy, between a set of millionaires- not in any economic environment but especially right now. They all look like spoiled children.

SI

They are the public spotlight. This is what they do. To simply go on T.V. and act like nothing happens, when all of this news and talk media is talking about you, kind of looks strange to me. Kind of damn if you do, damn if you don't.

You're really hook on the fact that they're millionaires. I don't get what that has to do with anything here. If money was an issue, Conan would move to 12:05. I think Comics are a rather tight group as a whole. Almost as if you go after one, the others will go after you.

Last edited by Galaxy : 01-15-2010 at 05:37 PM.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 06:28 PM   #19
Logan
Head Coach

Especially considering that the first thing Conan said in his statement was "I've been paid a ton, don't feel bad for me."
Old 01-15-2010, 11:55 PM   #20
JimboJ
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhog View Post
How could Jay not have known that Kimmel was going to rip him? It seems like half of those questions where setup specifically. I think Jay did this on purpose just to generate some more news

Agreed. This was Leno's attempt to appear like a good sport about this whole thing.

"Have you ever ordered anything off the TV?" Come on, why would he ask a question like this?? Most likely he asked Jimmy to write the questions. Lord knows Leno's writers aren't capable of coming up with something this funny.
JimboJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 12:00 AM   #21
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I agree with JimboJ, Leno was in on this the whole way. If he didn't like it, why would it have even aired? I don't believe that show is live, is it?
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 07:07 AM   #22
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Why would he ask those stupid questions? Because apparently that "10-at-10" thing is a regular bit on this new show, and it is supposed to be inane. He didn't create that segment that night, as evidenced by this.

Quote:
Leno assured reporters that his show would not feature traditional variety-show sketches, nor would it be packed with guests. Most episodes will feature a single guest, plus a segment later in the show dubbed "10 at 10," in which celebs and other newsmakers will answer a rapid-fire series of 10 "ridiculous, celebrity-based questions."

That is from a Variety article posted in August.
Old 01-16-2010, 07:31 AM   #23
AlexB
Pro Starter

The fact that some people think that this wasn't at least semi-scripted is the funniest thing about the whole episode.
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 10:55 AM   #24
Logan
Head Coach

It was definitely semi-scripted, it even looked like Kimmel was looking down at notes a couple times when he would transition between his quick, real answer and his "attack Leno" answer. The "semi" being that I'm sure Leno didn't think he would be so harsh, like the last "leave us alone" comment where there wasn't even a bit of joking in Kimmel's delivery.
Old 01-16-2010, 10:57 AM   #25
timmynausea
College Starter

To me, it seems like Kimmel's answers get a lot more harsh immediately after Jay turns down Jimmy's invitation to be on his Friday night show.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 07:52 PM   #26
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
It was definitely semi-scripted, it even looked like Kimmel was looking down at notes a couple times when he would transition between his quick, real answer and his "attack Leno" answer. The "semi" being that I'm sure Leno didn't think he would be so harsh, like the last "leave us alone" comment where there wasn't even a bit of joking in Kimmel's delivery.

I think what timmy said. He didn't look down once Leno said no to him and starting attacking.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 05:54 AM   #27
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmynausea View Post
To me, it seems like Kimmel's answers get a lot more harsh immediately after Jay turns down Jimmy's invitation to be on his Friday night show.

LOL. Very sharp insight. I didn't even notice that upon first viewing. You seem to be onto something. Consider me impressed by your critical thinking.
Old 01-17-2010, 06:15 AM   #28
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
I think what timmy said. He didn't look down once Leno said no to him and starting attacking.

Watch again, he looked down quite a few times after Leno said no to him though he was more subtle about it.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 11:52 AM   #29
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Well, my guess here would be that Kimmel was given the questions before hand. I would think something like that is typical, even more so when it is for something like this segment which they don't want to have to much wasted time in. So yes, Jimmy and his writters were probably able to come up with answers before hand. I am not sure why this is such a hot topic really, I always figured giving the questions before hand was pretty common in a lot of TV stuff.
Old 01-19-2010, 04:56 AM   #30
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
So yes, Jimmy and his writters were probably able to come up with answers before hand. I am not sure why this is such a hot topic really, I always figured giving the questions before hand was pretty common in a lot of TV stuff.

In my limited experience, it seems to be true. I've walked out on several of the ones I've had the opportunity to witness, because it was so contrived and scripted out that it was actually painful to watch.