Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-06-2010, 08:41 PM   #1
SackAttack
Head Coach

Joshua Cribbs' agent might have a screw loose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Schaffer
They like to say Cribbs has three years left on the contract, but I can assure them they have no years left on the contract. Either this gets resolved by the first day of the league year, or he will never show up for the Browns again and will immediately demand a trade.

1) You're trying to strongarm a 5-win team over the fate of a glorified special teams player. Adrian Peterson or Tom Brady, this ain't.

2) Cool. He's still making peanuts. $900k per season for three years ain't going to break anybody's salary cap, and if he doesn't show up, he isn't going to get paid, so it isn't as if the guy cutting the checks is going to be all that broken up.

3) Does the contract run for three years whether he reports or not? If not, and the salary cap goes away...Cleveland is NEVER going to care what happens if they don't have to pay him and he can't sign with anybody else.

I dunno, I'm probably reading too much into this, but it seems like this Schaffer fella needs to learn a lesson about picking his battles. If the Browns come to an agreement on a contract renegotiation/extension, it won't be because Schaffer wagged his finger in the press and said "If he doesn't get a new deal by the first day of the 2010 league year, he's never playing for you again."

SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 08:45 PM   #2
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
3) Does the contract run for three years whether he reports or not?
Don't players have to show up by week ten to get credit for a year off a contract?

Still, this seems like pretty typical agent posturing, no?
Old 01-06-2010, 08:55 PM   #3
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
Don't players have to show up by week ten to get credit for a year off a contract?

Still, this seems like pretty typical agent posturing, no?

Yes, it does seem that way. But it's the first time I can recall reading such a hardline stance from an agent over a player who, frankly, is irrelevant to his team's chances of going from an 11-game loser to, say, a 10-game winner the next year. He's saying that Cribbs is "insulted" over an offer of a $500k raise.

I don't know exactly how much he's looking to get the player, but I repeat - Tom Brady or Adrian Peterson, he's not. And, again, we're talking about peanuts against the cap in the worst case. If Cleveland decides to make an example of Cribbs, there is fuck-all he can do here. He's got essentially no leverage except "Look at me, I scored a couple special teams touchdowns!"

And he's trying to use that leverage against a team in competitive disarray. I'm not feelin' it.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 09:11 PM   #4
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Cribbs is the best player on the Browns. His current contract is far below his value to the team. They need to bump him to the 5M range.

He basically won 2 to 3 games for them this year. They are not utilizing him properly on offense.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 09:15 PM   #5
Cap Ologist
College Prospect

Heh, Shaffer is also an agent in FOF, and if I remember correctly, he's helped Jim out before.
Cap Ologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 09:21 PM   #6
MrDNA
High School Varsity

Cribbs is the best player on the team and does deserve more money. His agent, however, is a flaming idiot. Perhaps one ought to wait until the team has hired a GM before issuing contract demands? Merely a suggestion on my part.
MrDNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 09:29 PM   #7
Danny
Head Coach

No issue with Cribbs demanding a new contract and not playing until he gets it, he is vastly underpaid, NFL careers are short and they have unguaranteed contracts.

Last edited by Danny : 01-06-2010 at 09:29 PM.
Danny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 09:29 PM   #8
stevew
Hall Of Famer

They also promised him a redo on the deal in 2008 I think. So, regardless of his current contract, they need to take care of him.

And Sack, he's a bit more than just a good special teams player. He's one of the best return men of all time. And his coverage skills are top notch.

They aren't smart enough to get him 15 touches on offense a game. You want the ball in the hand of your playmakers. He's obviously one.
Old 01-06-2010, 09:32 PM   #9
Bearcat729
College Benchwarmer

Cribbs is the 2nd or 3rd best player on the Browns. I would take Joe Thomas and possibly Eric Steinbach over Cribbs. However he did win a few games for the team on his own and does deserve a nice raise, just not anything crazy.
Old 01-06-2010, 09:56 PM   #10
lungs
Pro Rookie

Agent Quote: "If they had offered even something like $2.5 million per season we could have worked with them, but to me this offer is indefensible."

It's not like he's asking for a ridiculous salary. These types of things are the only recourse players have when their contracts aren't guaranteed.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 09:59 PM   #11
Logan
Head Coach

Sack, the agent has pissed you off and has clouded your opinion of Cribbs as a player.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 10:00 PM   #12
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
They also promised him a redo on the deal in 2008 I think. So, regardless of his current contract, they need to take care of him.

And Sack, he's a bit more than just a good special teams player. He's one of the best return men of all time. And his coverage skills are top notch.

They aren't smart enough to get him 15 touches on offense a game. You want the ball in the hand of your playmakers. He's obviously one.

"all time" ??

the guy hasn't had the longevity to belong in that conversation. he may have a couple of the single best returns of all time, but that doesn't make him one of the best return men of all time.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 10:03 PM   #13
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

I think I have heard this argument about (fill in any great special teams player) before haven't I? What has Cribbs done to prove that he is anything more than an exceptional part-time player? Devin Hester, Reggie Bush, Desmond Howard, Dante Hall, Pacman Jones... these are NOT superstars. That's why they are returning kicks!!! I don't see Sidney Rice or Adrian Peterson returning kicks for the Vikings. Obviously this isn't the focus of most teams or those guys would be!

Last edited by panerd : 01-06-2010 at 10:08 PM.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 10:06 PM   #14
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
I think I have heard this argument about (fill in any great special teams player) before haven't I? What has Cribbs done to prove that he is anything more than an exceptional part-time player? Devin Hester, Reggie Bush, Desmond Howard, Dante Hall, Pacman Jones... these are NOT superstars.

Return the ball.

Run the ball.

Catch the ball.

Throw the ball.

Cover the ball.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 10:16 PM   #15
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Return the ball.

Run the ball.

Catch the ball.

Throw the ball.

Cover the ball.

I have seen him play 4 full games this season. Obviously I don't compare to a Brown's fan (who I am sure is very unbiased) but I think 4 is more than any non fan would have seen. And he just didn't impress me much at all. The announcers kept talking him up but he sure didn't perform.
Old 01-06-2010, 10:18 PM   #16
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
"all time" ??

the guy hasn't had the longevity to belong in that conversation. he may have a couple of the single best returns of all time, but that doesn't make him one of the best return men of all time.

He already has the record for return Tds. I guess if he is just average for 6 years, that would give him longevity?
Old 01-06-2010, 10:19 PM   #17
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap Ologist View Post
Heh, Shaffer is also an agent in FOF, and if I remember correctly, he's helped Jim out before.

Yes, Peter has taught me a lot about the finances in the NFL and I've enjoyed talking to him over the years. He's been around a long time, and he doesn't burn bridges with teams. I'm sure he knows exactly what he's doing and simply wants to be at the front of the line when teams start adjusting to the new financial reality of 2010, probably post-cap.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 10:24 PM   #18
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
He already has the record for return Tds. I guess if he is just average for 6 years, that would give him longevity?

that record seems to get broken every year.

and i think being a great return man isn't necessarily about how many TD's you have (sure those are spectacular sometimes instant game-changers), but more about what your average return is like over a career. average starting field position you give your team likely has a larger effect on W-L than a few returns broken for TD's.

at least so i'd assume (without any statistical evidence to back that up)
Old 01-06-2010, 10:25 PM   #19
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Wonder if Jim has an alert for whenever someone mentions him in a thread? It's always good to see Solecismic in a thread though, he is definitely the reason I came here. (And I can't wait someday to see a Skydog message about a new game!)

Last edited by panerd : 01-06-2010 at 10:26 PM.
Old 01-06-2010, 10:28 PM   #20
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Cribbs agent said they will officially request a trade:

The agent for Josh Cribbs told NFL.com late Wednesday that his client will formally request a trade from the Browns.
The Browns, under Mike Holmgren even, are offering Cribbs a raise to just $1.4M a year. Another of Cribbs' player reps hinted at a trade demand earlier today. Agent J.R. Rickert confirmed it. "We’re going to formally put in a request for a trade," Rickert said. "(Cribbs) will not set foot in that facility again. If they had offered even something like $2.5 million per season we could have worked with them, but to me this offer is indefensible."
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 10:29 PM   #21
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
"all time" ??

He has the most all-time kickoff returns for TDs (8) and has scored 2 more on punt returns. He is absolutely in the conversation.

The fact that he is one of the most exciting players in the NFL and that he can be the all-time record holder in KO returns for TDs while remaining a relative unknown to a number of pretty dedicated NFL fans is the result of playing for a pathetic, directionless organization like Cleveland for 5-years. I imagine he is probably looking for a trade more than a payday -- either way, with the way the Browns have conducted business over the past few years, I'm not sure I would handle things much differently if I am Cribbs.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 10:51 PM   #22
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Like I said earlier... Devin Hester, Reggie Bush, Desmond Howard, Dante Hall, Pacman Jones. Would you really want to have built your franchise around one of these players a few years ago? How is Cribbs hype any different than these? I would argue that Hester and Hall had even more buzz as "unstoppable" & "do not kick to this guy". What do they think they are going to get for Cribbs? Suh? McCoy? Try like 2nd or 3rd round pick.
Old 01-06-2010, 10:55 PM   #23
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Like I said earlier... Devin Hester, Reggie Bush, Desmond Howard, Dante Hall, Pacman Jones. Would you really want to have built your franchise around one of these players a few years ago? How is Cribbs hype any different than these? I would argue that Hester and Hall had even more buzz as "unstoppable" & "do not kick to this guy". What do they think they are going to get for Cribbs? Suh? McCoy? Try like 2nd or 3rd round pick.

I wouldn't give higher than a 4th.
Old 01-06-2010, 11:08 PM   #24
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:

$2.5 million a year is hardly "build your franchise around" money.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 11:19 PM   #25
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Having attended an actual Browns game I should say that the stadium was more pro-Joshua Cribbs than any other play. I saw more Cribbs jerseys that than of any other current Browns player. They cheered him louder and longer than any other.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 11:24 PM   #26
Celeval
Pro Starter

Cribbs is the best return man in the game right now, bar none.

He's a pretty good offensive player, although I don't think he should be an every down guy on offense.

He's also a top-notch defensive special teams player.

FWIW, there had been a lot of discussion about him getting a salary adjustment before this year, and it didn't happen - there were threats of holding out, and to his credit, he didn't - he came in and played, and played hard despite being obviously underpaid the whole season. That's one big reason why the Cleveland fans love him so much.
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 11:24 PM   #27
Tigercat
College Starter

Nothing wrong with paying the best returner, especially when he is so by a decent margin, 2-3 million dollars a year. Add in the fact that he is the most exciting player on your team (those guys put butts in the seats) and it should be a no brainer for a struggling franchise.

Last edited by Tigercat : 01-06-2010 at 11:25 PM.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 11:26 PM   #28
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Holmgren will keep Cribbs. He isnt going to let him go right now.

If your offense is just crap you need to start somewhere.

The Bears made it to the Super Bowl 3-4 years ago with a great Special Teams and defense.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 11:33 PM   #29
stevew
Hall Of Famer

My friend has the bladder of a 5 year old. We were at a game last year, and of course he was out pissing when Cribbs ran a kickoff back. I make fun of him for this fact quite a bit.
Old 01-06-2010, 11:38 PM   #30
MikeVic
Head Coach

Yeah, the Browns are fuckups if they let Cribbs walk instead of a raise to 3M. Special teams are important, ask the Steelers. And as others have said, I thought he was supposed to get a raise last year. He definitely deserves one this year. That offense has nothing buy him and I guess Jerome Harrison right now. You have to pay him the decent amount of 2.5-3M.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 11:56 PM   #31
Swaggs
Coordinator

He makes less than like 25 guys that the Browns are paying this season. They paid 15 guys more than $3-million. It isn't like he is asking for franchise QB money or even to make it into the top 10 on the Browns' payroll, fellas. He is looking to be paid in the neighborhood of Joe Jurevicius, Robaire Smith, and Corey Williams on the Browns.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 11:57 PM   #32
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
I think I have heard this argument about (fill in any great special teams player) before haven't I? What has Cribbs done to prove that he is anything more than an exceptional part-time player? Devin Hester, Reggie Bush, Desmond Howard, Dante Hall, Pacman Jones... these are NOT superstars. That's why they are returning kicks!!! I don't see Sidney Rice or Adrian Peterson returning kicks for the Vikings. Obviously this isn't the focus of most teams or those guys would be!
You had me until Sidney Rice came after superstar...the logic broke down at that point
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 12:00 AM   #33
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade6119 View Post
You had me until Sidney Rice came after superstar...the logic broke down at that point

He soon will be
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 12:51 AM   #34
bhlloy
Coordinator

I would pay Cribbs 3 million a year in a heartbeat. Best return man in the game, can play a bit of receiver, plays all the special teams and I don't think anyone has mentioned one of the better wildcat QB's in the game also. Hell, he's probably a better play than Michael Vick right now.

And like many people have said it's not like the Browns have an abundance of playmakers on the field or are right at the salary cap. They'd be insane to let him walk over 2.5-3 mil a year.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 01:11 AM   #35
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Great, we won't give more than a 4th rounder for him and we won't build our franchise around him. How is this relevant?

Any team that lets their most exciting player walk because they refuse to pay him more than $900k a year is idiotic beyond belief and deserves any kind of misery coming their way.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 02:53 AM   #36
NewIdentity
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celeval View Post

He's a pretty good offensive player,
FAIL! This is almost Laughable. Cribbs would not be in the NFL is he could only play offense.

If Cribbs want a raise then he needs to spend this entire offseason trying to get better on offense.

Cribbs is the best return man in the game right now, and probably should be making about the same money you would pay the best place kicker in the game.....I am guessing around 3 million.

Anything more and you are trying to pay him for his offensive abilities and right now he has none.
I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.
Michael Jordan

Last edited by NewIdentity : 01-07-2010 at 02:54 AM.
NewIdentity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 02:57 AM   #37
NewIdentity
High School JV

I would also like to know who will be paying all the team fines when next season rolls around: His agent?

These seem to always be forgiven by the team, but for someone puling down $900,00 they should add upquickly.
I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.
Michael Jordan
NewIdentity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 06:02 AM   #38
Bearcat729
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewIdentity View Post
FAIL! This is almost Laughable. Cribbs would not be in the NFL is he could only play offense.

If Cribbs want a raise then he needs to spend this entire offseason trying to get better on offense.

Cribbs is the best return man in the game right now, and probably should be making about the same money you would pay the best place kicker in the game.....I am guessing around 3 million.

Anything more and you are trying to pay him for his offensive abilities and right now he has none.

By the end of the season he was doing well out of the wildcat as a running back, but he is not an every down player nor is he a good receiver, and I can't remember but I don't think he ever threw the ball this season. I could see 3 mil to 3.5mil being a decent amount to give him.

In the end the Browns are going to have to pay him or really slander him in the media because Cribbs is loved by the fans and you can't just trade him without a major backlash from them.
Old 01-07-2010, 06:31 AM   #39
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

I do think they should pay Cribbs pretty much whatever him and his agent are asking for. They guy is electric - in the wildcat, and of course ST (O & D). BUT what I don't understand is why the f*** him and his agent would sign a 5 year deal @ 900k a yr without incentives. If they put incentives in his contract he probably would be making what he's asking for now. I blame the agent and Cribbs wanting security rather than holding off signing a long term contract. I'll just never understand players holding out for more $$$ - you signed the contract and live with it until it's fulfilled. You don't see players giving back money when they sign a 5 mil a year contract and suck - do you? Just my cents.

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 06:42 AM   #40
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
you don't see players giving back money when they sign a 5 mil a year contract and suck - do you? Just my cents.

No they just get cut a couple years before the contract is up....

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 06:48 AM   #41
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
$900k per season

As a totally random comparison, the Bills paid Steve Tasker $860k back in 1996
Old 01-07-2010, 07:01 AM   #42
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Take the 1.5 millions a year and shut your trap return boy. And people say he won games by himself. No such thing in football.
Old 01-07-2010, 07:05 AM   #43
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
I have seen him play 4 full games this season. Obviously I don't compare to a Brown's fan (who I am sure is very unbiased) but I think 4 is more than any non fan would have seen. And he just didn't impress me much at all. The announcers kept talking him up but he sure didn't perform.

You didn't watch the last 4 - when they did start using him more - and won all 4?
Old 01-07-2010, 09:30 AM   #44
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I can't believe there's a real discussion here about Joshua Cribbs' value to the Browns. As far as putting points on the board, he's the best they've got. He anchors special teams on both sides of the ball. How many Cleveland players are really worth the kind of money he's asking for? It would be extremely difficult to replace him. How exactly is he not worth a pay increase?

If the knock against him is that he's not an every-down offensive player, so what? He contributes more to the team than most of the clowns they put out there. At least he's providing a great deal of value to that team. Most of the other guys aren't.

He's the best player in the league at his particular job. How does an NFL team let a guy like that go over 2 or 3 million dollars? Unless we want to say that special teams aren't that important, I think you absolutely have to take care of the best player in the league at that role. Why wouldn't you?
Old 01-07-2010, 09:35 AM   #45
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
I can't believe there's a real discussion here about Joshua Cribbs' value to the Browns. As far as putting points on the board, he's the best they've got. He anchors special teams on both sides of the ball. How many Cleveland players are really worth the kind of money he's asking for? It would be extremely difficult to replace him. How exactly is he not worth a pay increase?

If the knock against him is that he's not an every-down offensive player, so what? He contributes more to the team than most of the clowns they put out there. At least he's providing a great deal of value to that team. Most of the other guys aren't.

He's the best player in the league at his particular job. How does an NFL team let a guy like that go over 2 or 3 million dollars? Unless we want to say that special teams aren't that important, I think you absolutely have to take care of the best player in the league at that role. Why wouldn't you?

I agree.

Cribbs is more than just a "return guy." He's their best offensive weapon period. After Ronnie Brown, he may be the best wildcat back in the league. There were a couple of plays against the Steelers in that Monday night game where he seemed to will the Browns to victory. He's a constant threat whenever he's on the field.

If the Browns don't want to pay him and he wants to be traded, I hope Mayhew calls them immediately.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 09:39 AM   #46
MikeVic
Head Coach

Hell yeah, if the Browns don't pay him the Steelers better be knocking on his door.
Old 01-07-2010, 09:43 AM   #47
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
Hell yeah, if the Browns don't pay him the Steelers better be knocking on his door.

Sorry, I called "dibbs" on Cribbs for the Lions one post prior. Better luck next time!
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 09:45 AM   #48
lungs
Pro Rookie

I don't understand this idea where people think when an NFL player signs a contract they are obligated to fulfill it when the team can cut them from any remaining obligation at any time without paying them a dime (signing bonus excluded of course).
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 09:46 AM   #49
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Sorry, I called "dibbs" on Cribbs for the Lions one post prior. Better luck next time!

Damn!
Old 01-07-2010, 09:46 AM   #50
Arles
Grey Dog Software

If I were Green Bay, I'd call up Holmgren and offer a 3rd round pick. The moment it was accepted in the offseason, I would sign Cribbs to $3 mil a year for 3-4 seasons. He's exactly what the team (and their woeful special teams) needs.