Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-10-2003, 10:01 AM   #1
bigdawg2003
High School Varsity

Bull Durham celebration at HOF cancelled

http://espn.go.com/mlb/news/2003/0409/1536711.html

This is ridiculous. How would comments from 2 past their peak actors affect the war in Iraq?

bigdawg2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 10:06 AM   #2
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
by formenting discontent.
Old 04-10-2003, 10:10 AM   #3
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

I love it! These stars cry free speech, but can't handle the heat when people excerise their rights to slam, not buy, or criticize these guys.

Tim, you have your right to spout whatever you want, he also has the right to run his business however he wants.
Old 04-10-2003, 10:38 AM   #4
Butter
Coordinator

I was wondering what the hell that headline meant on espn.com. I just skipped over it.
Old 04-10-2003, 10:43 AM   #5
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I just saw this myself. All I can say is "Bravo" to the HoF.
Old 04-10-2003, 11:05 AM   #6
Anrhydeddu
Resident Curmudgeon

Imo, I have felt that Bull Durham was one of the worst baseball movies of all time so despite the politics, it shouldn't even had been honored at the HoF in the first place.
Anrhydeddu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 11:25 AM   #7
oykib
College Starter

That's nonsense. One has nothing to do with the other. Robbins and Sarandon weren't even supposed to be at the event. They might have a case if they were worried about those two using the event as forum.
oykib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 11:29 AM   #8
oykib
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by oykib
That's nonsense. One has nothing to do with the other. Robbins and Sarandon weren't even supposed to be at the event. They might have a case if they were worried about those two using the event as forum.

How could you call Bull Durham one of the worst baseball movies of all time? I mean, it's not 'The Natural' or 'The Bad News Bears', but there are really boatloads of really bad baseball movies that are wasting celluloid around the world.
oykib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 11:34 AM   #9
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by oykib

Sounds like Robbins was supposed to be there to me

"In his letter, Robbins said he'd been looking forward to "a weekend away from politics and war." He said he remained "skeptical" of the war plans and told Petroskey he did not realize baseball was "a Republican sport.""
Old 04-10-2003, 11:36 AM   #10
scooper
College Benchwarmer

Heh Heh. Baseball is to the Republicans as Hollywood is to the Republican Guard.
scooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 11:39 AM   #11
Anrhydeddu
Resident Curmudgeon

oykib, like with a lot of things, it comes from expectations. I think something becomes "worse" if it significantly fails to meet your expectations as oppose to something that you had no expectations on. This was true with Bull Durham. I attended quite a few games there before they become famous and went big-time. In fact, I remember the casting call announcement for extras in the stands but I would have left school by the time they started shooting. If one can overlook its vulgarness, this was not the type of movie I would have made about the Durham Bulls. That's all.
Anrhydeddu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 11:56 AM   #12
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

"We believe your very public criticism of President Bush at this important -- and sensitive -- time in our nation's history helps undermine the U.S. position..."

This is the part that bothers me. Petroskey, a former Reagan official btw, focuses on criticizing the President. His message seems to imply that no one should be allowed to criticize Bush about anything regarding the war. That's nonsense. Why the hell is this president supposed to be immune from criticism?

Its funny how actors who criticize the war are told to shut up because they don't know what they are talking about, but a guy who works at a baseball museum is considered to have special insight about right and wrong.
Old 04-10-2003, 12:03 PM   #13
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I don't agree with what the guy did, regardless of whether it was *his* right to do it. I think this was the combination of two things - a former GOP administration official who knows what the views of Robbins and Sarandon are and disagrees with them and the Michael Moore incident. I think this guy just didn't feel like taking the chance that they would turn the event into a soapbox for their views the way Moore did, particularly given his beliefs on the issue.

I would have simply asked them nicely not to make any political comments, and if they did, I would have had someone ready to pull the plug on the mic and cut the chord holding back the catapults with rotten tomatoes and eggs aimed at the stage.

I think Bull Durham is a great baseball movie. And, despite the fact that I'm a conservative, I think bob Roberts is a great movie as well. I still think they're a couple of quacks, though!
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 05:07 PM   #14
Craptacular
College Starter

bump
Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote