Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-04-2010, 11:54 AM   #1
boberot
High School Varsity

Bills fire entire staff + stealth meeting with Cowher = (hope?)

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/po...coaching-staff

Report: Cowher had "stealth meeting" with Bills | ProFootballTalk.com

Look, it's probably a long shot, but 1+1 just might equal two, so let a guy hope, wouldja?

boberot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 12:09 PM   #2
Hoya1
High School JV

step 1
Hoya1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 12:13 PM   #3
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

I can't imagine they'd clean house like that the day after the season ended without having something rather substantial lined up.

Last edited by jeff061 : 01-04-2010 at 12:28 PM.
jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 12:16 PM   #4
boberot
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061 View Post
I can't imagine they'd clean house like that the day after the season ended without out having something rather substantial lined up.

That was kind of my thought process. Do you fire EVERYBODY to make a play for Cam Cameron?!

That just seems unlikely to me. It seems more likely to clean house for somebody of a higher profile who is going to want to assemble his entire staff.

But I'm just a sucker who has been sucking at the teat of hope for more than 15 years.
Old 01-04-2010, 12:16 PM   #5
Hoya1
High School JV

I just hope they bring in someone who will be a difference maker.
Old 01-04-2010, 12:21 PM   #6
spleen1015
Coordinator

They knew Jim Zorn was available.
Old 01-04-2010, 12:21 PM   #7
Rizon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boberot View Post
That was kind of my thought process. Do you fire EVERYBODY to make a play for Cam Cameron?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 12:28 PM   #8
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Do you fire EVERYBODY to make a play for Cam Cameron?!

Before Jerry Jones and Dan Snyder owened teams, it was commonplace to fire everyone when you fired the head coach, thus allowing the new guyto put together his own staff. The Bills fired their HC months ago, this is hardly a surprise, or related to what they have lined up.

FWIW, Perry Fewell has been guaranteed an interview for the HC job, and the organization has told the staff that any of them could be rehired (although Schonert seems unlikely .
Old 01-04-2010, 12:50 PM   #9
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

There was a crawl on ESPN while I ate lunch saying that Cowher is still very unlikely to coach this next year.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 12:51 PM   #10
Kodos
Resident Alien

Please let the Bills hire Cam Cameron! Make it happen!
Old 01-04-2010, 01:00 PM   #11
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Why would he want to go to Buffalo? If anything I would hope Cowher finds a job in Carolina or Jacksonville...(they might move to L.A.)
Old 01-04-2010, 01:13 PM   #12
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Cowher is waiting for John Fox to leave so he can coach in the same state his daughter's are attending school...
Old 01-04-2010, 01:17 PM   #13
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

most of the warm weather cities are probably hanging onto their coaches according to various talking heads. cowher wont wait with the possibility of no football in 2011...

I will HOPE 1+1=2 but am not overly optimistic right now, firing all the coaches is a good 1st step tho.
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 01:22 PM   #14
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubby View Post
most of the warm weather cities are probably hanging onto their coaches according to various talking heads. cowher wont wait with the possibility of no football in 2011...

I will HOPE 1+1=2 but am not overly optimistic right now, firing all the coaches is a good 1st step tho.

maybe they just wanted to consult with him on how to hire a coach...?
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 01:24 PM   #15
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
maybe they just wanted to consult with him on how to hire a coach...?

I doubt that. They already went after him earlier after they fired Jauron so I have no doubt they are trying to get him, I just don't think the firings signal an immenint announcement of Cowher's (or Shanny's) hiring
Old 01-04-2010, 01:54 PM   #16
Hoya1
High School JV

The Bills just have to do something. Perhaps Ralph can use some of his Ted Rogers Toronto money and put it to good use.
I keep telling myselft that something good will happen for the Bills at some point.................right?
Old 01-04-2010, 01:58 PM   #17
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoya1 View Post
The Bills just have to do something. Perhaps Ralph can use some of his Ted Rogers Toronto money and put it to good use.
I keep telling myselft that something good will happen for the Bills at some point.................right?

I'm just hoping that Ralph doesn't want to die without seeing the Bills at least in the playoffs again so he's finally willing to spend some $$$. The last time the Bills were good was pre-cap so maybe with next year uncapped...
Old 01-04-2010, 02:53 PM   #18
boberot
High School Varsity

Yeah, piggy-backing on Chubby's point: I've been conditioned to keep my expectations low with this franchise, but these two moves give me hope.

One more thing gives me a glimmer of hope:
Ralph is in his 90s. His opportunity to "mold his legacy" is speeding past him. Many fans here are irate, feeling that he's a cheapskate and has taken advantage of their undying loyalty.

I want to believe there's a legitimate chance that Ralph makes a decision to spend some money to get a high-profile guy in here. What good is $ to somebody whose personal low-battery indicator is probably flashing at this very moment? His family cant afford the estate taxes on the team, so it'll be sold to God-knows-who.

BUT: He has a chance to put himself back in the fans good graces by making the end-of-life legacy move. Fans here are quick to anger, but they're also quick to forgive. So, yeah, still nursing at the teat of hope . . . .
Old 01-04-2010, 03:15 PM   #19
SteveMax58
College Starter

Making a play for Mangini?
SteveMax58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 03:25 PM   #20
hoopsguy
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoya1 View Post
step 1

You cut a hole in the box?
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 03:35 PM   #21
lungs
Pro Rookie

Maybe they shouldn't have gotten rid of Wade Phillips!
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 05:45 PM   #22
boberot
High School Varsity

OK, those heady few hours were pretty intoxicating.

"Those in the know" seem to now be throwing around names like Brian Billick and Brian Schottenheimer.

I'm going to console myself now by rolling out, "Eh, Cowher's overrated. One Super Bowl in 15 years?!"

Old 01-04-2010, 06:15 PM   #23
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

by Mark Gaughan
News Sports Reporter
Updated: January 04, 2010, 3:28 PM / 47 comments
Story tools:
Related Content
Related Stories
Share this story:

Buzz up!

The Buffalo Bills today released all of their coaches from their obligations to the team, the team said in a statement.
The move comes as no surprise, and in fact, is a courtesy for a team making a head coaching change.
The Bills' coaches all had one year remaining on their contracts with the team. By releasing the coaches, the team is giving the assistants a chance to pursue any other coaching opportunities that they may desire.
The Bills are scheduled to interview interim head coach Perry Fewell for the head coaching job this evening, a team source told The News.
Fewell went 3-4 as the replacement for Dick Jauron after the Bills fired Jauron on Nov. 17.
It's possible the Bills will try to retain one or more of their current assistants, depending on whether whoever is named new head coach wants to offer them a job.
The Bills' assistants are: John Allaire, strength and conditioning; Bobby April, assistant head coach and special teams coordinator; Ray Brown, assistant offensive line; George Catavolos, defensive backs; Charlie Coiner, tight ends; DeMontie Cross, assistant linebackers; Nate Hackcett, quality control; Sean Kugler, offensive line; Chuck Lester, assistant to the head coach; Bob Sanders, defensive line; Matt Sheldon, linebackers; Eric Studesville, running game coordinator; Tyke Tolbert, receivers; Alex Van Pelt, offensive coordinator; and Adrian White, quality control.
The coaches technically remain under contract to the team while the Bills search for a new head coach and coaching staff.
[email protected]
Old 01-04-2010, 06:38 PM   #24
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

More importantly - GRUDEN TO CLEV.

MAKE IT SO!
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 07:23 PM   #25
RendeR
Coordinator

Most likely candidate right now appears to be Brian Billick, He's been reported to be building a coaching staff on the hush hush. To me this means he's already spoken to someone or thinks a call is imminent. He's also stated numerous times that while he's enjoying his NFL network gig, he really wants to coach again.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 07:50 PM   #26
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

I think I would be happy with Billick, I have never really expected Cowher or Shanny to go to the Bills...
Old 01-04-2010, 08:21 PM   #27
dervack
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post
Most likely candidate right now appears to be Brian Billick, He's been reported to be building a coaching staff on the hush hush. To me this means he's already spoken to someone or thinks a call is imminent. He's also stated numerous times that while he's enjoying his NFL network gig, he really wants to coach again.
I love that statement (not directed at Render). How is it on the hush hush if it's being reported by many, many outlets?
dervack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 12:22 PM   #28
boberot
High School Varsity

A BREEZE STIRS THAT DYING EMBER OF HOPE:

Jan. 5 (Bloomberg) -- Bill Cowher and New York Jets offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer are the leading candidates to land the Buffalo Bills’ coaching job, according to online oddsmakers.

The Bills yesterday dismissed interim coach Perry Fewell and the rest of his staff after completing a 6-10 season. The team said on its Web site that Fewell remains a candidate.

Cowher, who won a Super Bowl title during his 15 seasons as coach of the Pittsburgh Steelers, met with the Bills last week about the position, ESPN said yesterday. The sports network also said Cowher may not want to coach next season.

Cowher, who has spent the past three seasons as a National Football League analyst for CBS Sports, declined to comment on the air about whether he was interested in returning to coaching. He’s given 3-1 odds to become the Bills’ coach at online gambling Web site BetUS.com.

Schottenheimer, the son of former San Diego Chargers coach Marty Schottenheimer, has run the Jets’ offense for the past four seasons. He also has 3-1 odds of becoming the Bills’ coach, according to BetUS.

The Jets are in the playoffs for the first time since 2006.

Buddy Nix, who took over as Bills’ general manager last week, worked with Brian and Marty Schottenheimer while in the Chargers’ front office from 2001-08. Brian Schottenheimer was San Diego’s quarterbacks coach from 2002-05 before joining the Jets.

Stanford University coach Jim Harbaugh has 4-1 odds to become the Bills’ coach, according to Costa Rica-based BetUS, followed by defensive coordinators Ron Rivera of the Chargers at 9-2 and Leslie Frazier of the Minnesota Vikings at 5-1.

To contact the reporter on this story: Erik Matuszewski in New York at [email protected]
Old 01-05-2010, 12:23 PM   #29
boberot
High School Varsity

PLUS:

Jason La Canfora
Cowher still actively weighing coaching options
Posted: January 5th, 2010 | Jason La Canfora | Tags: Bill Cowher, Buffalo Bills, Carolina Panthers, Chicago Bears, Houston Texans, Ralph Wilson, Tampa Bay Buccaneers

The Buccaneers issued in essence a vote of confidence on coach Raheem Morris late Monday night, with a statement from owner Joel Glazer expressing “confidence” in the path Morris is on.

However, as we have been reporting, the Bucs reached out to Bill Cowher late in the season and have made an effort to secure his services.

Tampa Bay, however, has been unwilling to pay above the $5-6 million range for Cowher, according to a source with knowledge of the situation. There are also concerns about how much the team would be able to spend on players. That has blocked a deal to this point; should some of those parameters change, things could get interesting.

Cowher has also had contact from the Bills — one report from Western New York says Cowher will meet with team officials today — but some close to Cowher would be surprised if he went there. However, Cowher to the Bills should not be ruled out if Ralph Wilson makes an offer in the upper-echelon of coaching contracts.
Tampa Bay, Chicago, Houston and Carolina were the four teams Cowher was targeting should there be openings, but none of those are vacant and most likely will not be. While there is some uncertainty about the labor situation in 2011, the market could end up being more conducive to Cowher’s desires, with Chicago and Houston again with coaches entering the season under scrutiny, for instance.

Regardless, recent reports that Cowher had cooled his interest in coaching in 2010 are untrue, as he has been actively working on assembling a staff, weighing all options and receiving calls from teams.

Last edited by boberot : 01-05-2010 at 12:24 PM.
Old 01-05-2010, 12:26 PM   #30
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Why not just hire Marty? I'd respect that a lot more than Billick. Plus, I think the Bills right now would love to go 12-4, 13-3 or even 14-2 in a division with the Pats, Phins and Jets even if they lose in the playoffs

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent

Last edited by Abe Sargent : 01-05-2010 at 12:28 PM.
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 05:22 PM   #31
Sgran
High School Varsity

Cower is such a perfect fit for Chicago. I can't believe the McCantskies won't eat Lovie's contract. ugghh.
Old 01-05-2010, 05:26 PM   #32
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgran View Post
Cower is such a perfect fit for Chicago. I can't believe the McCantskies won't eat Lovie's contract. ugghh.

You can't? I thought everyone was expecting it to play out exactly like this.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 06:55 PM   #33
dervack
College Prospect

If the Bears had lost on Sunday to the lowly Lions, I would say Lovie would have been gone. Sadly, they won and saved his job for another season.
dervack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 08:24 PM   #34
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dervack View Post
I love that statement (not directed at Render). How is it on the hush hush if it's being reported by many, many outlets?

Once a single outlet finds out, then they all post the same info. It "was" on the hush hush until a single reporter got wind of it.

Who knows how long he's been calling around to people trying to put a staff together?
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 07:49 PM   #35
Galaxy
Coordinator

I don't see either Bill coming (and Cowher, to me, was always a pipe dream) to Buffalo. If the Bills wanted Billick, I think they would of interviewed him by now.

Now it appears that Vikings defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier will interview tomorrow.

Until Ralph either passes away or sells the team, the Bills will always be a second-rate organization. Ralph wants control and the "credit".
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 08:48 PM   #36
boberot
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
I don't see either Bill coming (and Cowher, to me, was always a pipe dream) to Buffalo. If the Bills wanted Billick, I think they would of interviewed him by now.

Now it appears that Vikings defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier will interview tomorrow.

Until Ralph either passes away or sells the team, the Bills will always be a second-rate organization. Ralph wants control and the "credit".

I feel ya Galaxy. I'm starting to believe I drank the Bills Hope kool-aid . . . again. Not only haven't they interviewed Billick, but they're going to Minnesota to interview Leslie Frazier. I know he's still "in season," but c'mon, when the hell does the interviewer go to the interviewee?!
Old 01-06-2010, 09:06 PM   #37
boberot
High School Varsity

DOLA:

Additionally, now guys like Russ Grimm and Brian Schottenheimer are turning their nose up like they almost stepped in dogshit.

Why the hell did Ralph have to say he was prepared to open the checkbook and make a big splash? Why did I allow myself to believe him!?
Old 01-06-2010, 09:39 PM   #38
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post

Who's the other Bill you're talking about besides Cowher?
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 09:48 PM   #39
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
I feel ya Galaxy. I'm starting to believe I drank the Bills Hope kool-aid . . . again. Not only haven't they interviewed Billick, but they're going to Minnesota to interview Leslie Frazier. I know he's still "in season," but c'mon, when the hell does the interviewer go to the interviewee?!

Yeah. I thought the Bills wanted an "offensive-minded" coach (with the talent to develop and manage QBs)? Is Frazier really one of the top coordinators in the NFL? Is Brian Schottenheimer really that good? You fire Jauron and have all this time to go through the process. Now, they say it may take a couple of weeks?

Wilson fired three of the more successful GMs in the NFL (Polian, Butler, and A. J. Smith). He wanted to "clean house". So what does he do? Interviews just two guys within the organization for the G.M. position and hires Nix (whom I don't "hate", but don't love). It's just how Ralph runs things and the process. It's saying one thing, but doing another.

I know the Bills are a "small-market" team. But if Cleveland is willing to throw out the big bucks, power, and show a real interest in winning to get Mike, the Bills have no excuse.

The Bills made, according to Forbes (#26 Buffalo Bills - Forbes.com, $39.5 million in operating income which actually places them 12th in the league. And since Ralph paid just $25,000 for the team 50-some years ago, he doesn't have the debt to pay for the team like a lot of other incoming owners have.

Ralph is just as bad as Al Davis, but he does it in the background.

Last edited by Galaxy : 01-06-2010 at 09:49 PM.
Old 01-06-2010, 09:53 PM   #40
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Well, Brian Billick isn't really an offensive minded guy. Solid coach but outside of his time as OC in Minnesota, he didn't do much besides ride Jamal Lewis to glory. That doesn't mean he sucks by any means, but his reputation is blown way out of proportion.

Leslie Frazier seems like an okay choice, he is a hot name out there, so it couldn't hurt to take a shot on him if worst comes to worst.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 09:59 PM   #41
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
Who's the other Bill you're talking about besides Cowher?

Opps...Mean Brian, not Bill.
Old 01-06-2010, 10:02 PM   #42
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Well, Brian Billick isn't really an offensive minded guy. Solid coach but outside of his time as OC in Minnesota, he didn't do much besides ride Jamal Lewis to glory. That doesn't mean he sucks by any means, but his reputation is blown way out of proportion.

Leslie Frazier seems like an okay choice, he is a hot name out there, so it couldn't hurt to take a shot on him if worst comes to worst.

I agree with you on the Billick point. The Ravens won with defense. And Billick was hired due to his offensive success with the Vikings. I don't know, just raises some concern with me.

Last edited by Galaxy : 01-06-2010 at 10:02 PM.
Old 01-18-2010, 04:29 PM   #43
RedKingGold
College Starter

Looking like Chan Gailey to be the new head man of the Bills (according to PFT)

Sorry Buffalo fans.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 04:49 PM   #44
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

oh wow, that really sucks. I really thought Leslie Frazier would get that job.
Old 01-18-2010, 04:49 PM   #45
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

LMAO @ Buffalo
Old 01-18-2010, 05:58 PM   #46
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

I don't generally buy the Rooney Rule as an efficient mechanism, but man, this sure smells like the good ol' boy network; the 70+ year old GM hiring one of the guys he's familiar with who's been around the block.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 08:00 AM   #47
Samdari
Roster Filler

Chan Gailey?

Did Russ Grimm turn down an interview there too?

They'd seriously be better off hiring Jauron back than Gailey. This is absurd.
Old 01-19-2010, 08:02 AM   #48
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samdari View Post
They'd seriously be better off hiring Jauron back than Gailey. This is absurd.

They'd be better off bringing back Marv Levy.

For that matter, Eugene Levy.
Old 01-19-2010, 08:25 AM   #49
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Chan Gailey? HAHAHAHAHA

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 08:26 AM   #50
Apathetic Lurker
College Prospect

Krap!, Double Krap ......Wheres Kay Stephenson when you need him?

but on a positive note, he does have a winning NFL coaching record as a head coach...That said, shoot me please .. NOW!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Apathetic Lurker : 01-19-2010 at 08:29 AM.
Apathetic Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote