Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-19-2009, 08:08 PM   #1
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

No thread for this movie yet other than the one talking about how its a ripoff from Terra whatever...

It was a pretty decent flick. CGI was indeed a step up from most CGI-dominated movies(King Kong, action scenes in Spiderman).

I give it 9.5/10.

My wife also enjoyed it after being skeptical.

Well worth the admission price... although I'm pissed that I spent $9 on Soda and Butterfinger.... when will I learn? lol

Last edited by mauchow : 12-19-2009 at 08:14 PM.
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 08:18 PM   #2
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Very pretty on the screen, but the plot was very "meh".

6.5/10
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 08:27 PM   #3
Peregrine
Pro Starter

I really, really enjoyed it. Nothing special on the plot but I expected that - everything else was fantastic.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 08:30 PM   #4
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Definitely do the 3D though. It took several minutes to get the hang of it, but it worked very well.
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 09:51 PM   #5
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Plot was too lacking to give it anything really high. The environment was outstanding though and by far the highlight of the movie. Would love to see a sequel without humans.
Old 12-20-2009, 03:34 AM   #6
JediKooter
Coordinator

Estimated to have made 27 million dollars for Friday.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 05:33 AM   #7
whomario
Pro Starter

basically the most beautiful piece of crap you´ll ever see.

Story ? Who cares ?

It´s truly amazing how far film technology has gotten and Cameron isn´t shy using it ...

I really liked the premise of the story, but the interlinking of the 2 worlds leaves a lot to be desired, making me wish they wouldn´t bother with it in an eventual sequel.

Pictures : 11/10
Story idea : 8/10
Execution : 4/10

overall : 8/10

i 2nd the "3D" notion, awesome experience

@ JediKooter : It better did, this apparently cost some 500 million dollars all in all.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 08:54 AM   #8
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post

I wonder if the storms in the NE will hurt sales to bad.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 09:04 AM   #9
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
basically the most beautiful piece of crap you´ll ever see.

@ JediKooter : It better did, this apparently cost some 500 million dollars all in all.

27 million in a day doesn't seem like enough when you factor in the rumored cost and the early bad/average reviews.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 09:22 AM   #10
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

I've seen pretty good reviews all around so far. Most critics saying it lived up to the considerable hype. 83 on rotten tomatoes right now.

I was going to watch today, but not with the storm. So nature certainly isn't helping them.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 09:24 AM   #11
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061 View Post
I've seen pretty good reviews all around so far. Most critics saying it lived up to the considerable hype. 83 on rotten tomatoes right now.

I was going to watch today, but not with the storm. So nature certainly isn't helping them.

Most of the reviews I've read and heard from friends is that it presents a great environment, but that the story (or execution of the story) hampers the movie.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 12-20-2009 at 09:25 AM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 09:30 AM   #12
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
27 million in a day doesn't seem like enough when you factor in the rumored cost and the early bad/average reviews.

$27 million is very average. I think that's about what Watchmen pulled on its first day and it wasn't considered a commercial success.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 02:41 PM   #13
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Not as good as they probably hoped for their opening weekend but I don't see it dying quickly, especially with it being Christmas week. It could have some good staying power as I do believe it will get good word of mouth for the average movie-goer.
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 02:50 PM   #14
Capital
High School Varsity

I saw the movie in 3D and thought it was very good. They could have used a bit of editing in the first third of the movie but then it was great. The action scenes were phenominal. It is amazing just how far the tecnology has come. There was a15 minute expose on the subject on HBO, which was quite interesting.

Be aware that the movie is 2 hours and 40+ minutes.
Capital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 02:52 PM   #15
JediKooter
Coordinator

The 27 million on Friday was the 3rd largest ever for a December opening. I don't think it's opened in Europe or Asia yet, so I'm sure this will make it's fair share of money back.

It's definitely not a story we haven't seen in one form or another in the past, but, it was entertaining, so it will do pretty good. I don't think it will do Titanic numbers though.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
Old 12-20-2009, 04:38 PM   #16
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
Would love to see a sequel without humans.
Cameron's already on record saying he wants 2 sequels, which is part of why he spent sooo much time focusing on the environment and the world he created in the first part of this one.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 06:16 PM   #17
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Also note that Cameron spent 10 years developing the 3D technology. He can now go and have other companies use it as well as another way to cover the cost of the movie, think George Lucas and Industrial Light and Magic. It's a big part of the reason Cameron isn't worried if the movie makes profit, or not.
Old 12-20-2009, 09:13 PM   #18
NewIdentity
High School JV

This has to be a huge dissappointment for its opening weekend.

Biggest Opening Weekends at the Box Office
31 Avatar Fox $73,000,000 100.0% 3,452 $21,147 $73,000,000 12/18/2009

31st on the all time list for the most expensive movie ever made, must be a huge let down for Cameron and company. I am stunned it did not at least break the $100 million dollar barrier. Last month's Twilight had a an opening weekend of $142 million.

And, next weeks Sherlock Holmes will probably knock Avatar out of first place.
I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.
Michael Jordan

Last edited by NewIdentity : 12-20-2009 at 09:14 PM.
NewIdentity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 06:58 AM   #19
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewIdentity View Post
Last month's Twilight had a an opening weekend of $142 million.

Built in fan base that already had a movie before it. Even if the previous movie sucked, it sold. It's also not like a $142 million opening is common place either.

Old 12-21-2009, 07:42 AM   #20
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
This has to be a huge dissappointment for its opening weekend.

31st on the all time list for the most expensive movie ever made, must be a huge let down for Cameron and company. I am stunned it did not at least break the $100 million dollar barrier. Last month's Twilight had a an opening weekend of $142 million.

And, next weeks Sherlock Holmes will probably knock Avatar out of first place.

I think it's opening weekend haul is pretty much exactly what they expected. As I mentioned in the general movie thread, box office analysts predicted a solid, but not spectacular opening weekend and that's what they got.

This movie has no built in audience (as mentioned). It's not a sequel, based off a book or comic. It's an entirely original (well, not the basic story) film.

I know a lot has been said about this being "The Most Expensive Film Ever!" and it is, but like someone mentioned, the bulk of the expense behind the film was generating the specific 3D technology. While some reviews have been less than flattering, almost everyone agrees that the movie looks gorgeous and the 3D techinques are astounding. So, the money will be made in licensing the techonology. Think of it like a video game that has an awesome graphics enging, but a horrble story or some such.

Money will be made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brassmonkey32 View Post
Its made over 232 million worldwide this opening weekend.

Oh, and this.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 12-21-2009, 07:49 AM   #21
saldana
Pro Starter

Don't forget the monster snowstorm that slammed the northeast.
saldana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 08:57 AM   #22
Galaril
Pro Starter

I think the picking of last week in particular was part of the problem. I and Mrs Galaril wanted to go see it but was like " too much stuff to do in preparation of the holidays" to relax and go see a movie. I bet next weekend will be much better.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 09:09 AM   #23
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
31st on the all time list
According to Box Office Mojo, it was "...the highest-grossing opening ever for a movie that's neither a sequel, a remake nor a direct adaptation".

I have no idea if that makes the opening good or bad, but wow, Hollywood just doesn't make original movies any more.
Old 12-21-2009, 09:24 AM   #24
gkb
High School Varsity

My wife and I saw it this weekend. She cried, but it never really connected with me emotionally. I thought the dialogue was weak in spots. I didn't hate it and I wouldn't call it a bad movie, but ... meh. It was visually pretty stunning though. Like Christmas on steroids.
Old 12-21-2009, 09:38 AM   #25
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Adding in even though it was highly advertised, there really wasn't much buzz in regards to the quality of the movie itself. I remember there was an extended preview of it and the vast majority of press that came from it was "meh." So yeah, new series with little actual excitement about it that does 232 million worldwide in it's opening weekend with future DVD/Blur-Ray sales and a technology to let other people use. I'm sure Cameron is really "disappointed" making back almost half of the cost of in one weekend.
Old 12-21-2009, 11:01 AM   #26
revrew
Team Chaplain

While it was a very pretty, moving picture, the story, dialogue, and soundtrack were pathetic. The political beat-you-over-the-head message and religious mumbo jumbo just ruined it for me.

While acknowledging the spectacle was awesome, I trashed it in my review:

Is there anything that redeems 'Avatar'?

In summary, "FernGully" on steroids.
I came to the Crossroad. I took it. And that has made all the difference.
revrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 11:47 AM   #27
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrew View Post
While it was a very pretty, moving picture, the story, dialogue, and soundtrack were pathetic. The political beat-you-over-the-head message and religious mumbo jumbo just ruined it for me.

Ok, I'm sorry but frankly you saying this makes me laugh at anything you have to say. I mean REALLY?

The constant repeating of the "you stole our land" storyline got redundant, but if you went into this movie not knowing that was the premise then you need to read more or something.

I thought the soundtrack was excellent. not sure what you felt was off on that score, no pun intended. The soundtrack fit very well with the timing and action of the story.

The only thing I wasn't really impressed with was falling back on the very VERY overdone "humans just take whatever they want by force" storyline. I would think they could have found something a little less overused.

I'l still shaking my head that you of all people made a statement about religion being "mumbo Jumbo". just wow.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 11:57 AM   #28
RendeR
Coordinator

Went and read your review. Frankly, I feel dirty for having read it. You rant and insult the film for its positions and views while doing so purely for the benefit of your own.

You turn a movie review into a pulpit thumping preaching zone. While that might work for your regular viewers I hope you really don't think its going to make anyone actually believe your review of the movie is a valid one.

Oh and if you're going to trash something, get the names, titles and words right. Your review is littered with mistakes that it would appear stem from it being written in a irritated huff. At first reading it would appear you didn't bother paying attention to a movie you say you actually watched.

You'd think the movie was trying to insult your religion directly the way you reacted to it.

Color me unimpressed.

Last edited by RendeR : 12-21-2009 at 12:23 PM.
Old 12-21-2009, 12:11 PM   #29
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

I liked Doug Benson's review: Feliz Na'vi Dud
Old 12-21-2009, 12:17 PM   #30
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
I liked Doug Benson's review: Feliz Na'vi Dud

Link?
Old 12-21-2009, 12:27 PM   #31
cmp
Pro Rookie

I loved it. I'd probably give it a 9 or 9.5 out of 10.

Last edited by cmp : 12-21-2009 at 12:27 PM.
cmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 12:27 PM   #32
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Hm. Might be disappointing for you, but here we go.

http://twitter.com/DougBenson/status/6898716582

FWIW I haven't seen the movie and will see it over Christmas. I'm not endorsing his negative opinion, the review made me chuckle.

Last edited by Ronnie Dobbs2 : 12-21-2009 at 12:48 PM.
Ronnie Dobbs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 12:30 PM   #33
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post
...but if you went into this movie not knowing that was the premise then you need to read more or something.

I don't know, I still have no idea what the movie is about, though I've admittedly seen only a handful of trailers and not read about it at all. All I know is that there are blue things.

Reading the posts here, I'm not sure it's going to be up my alley, as I really like plot and don't care much about special effects/CGI, but I feel like I should go watch it at some point before it leaves theaters. I have little to no patience to sit in movie theaters these days, not sure I'm up for a 3 hour slog.

Also, I know that he intended it to be watched in 3D, but 3D gives me such a headache, I doubt I will.

Maybe if my family wants to see it Saturday or Sunday...

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 12:40 PM   #34
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post
I don't know, I still have no idea what the movie is about, though I've admittedly seen only a handful of trailers and not read about it at all. All I know is that there are blue things.

Reading the posts here, I'm not sure it's going to be up my alley, as I really like plot and don't care much about special effects/CGI, but I feel like I should go watch it at some point before it leaves theaters. I have little to no patience to sit in movie theaters these days, not sure I'm up for a 3 hour slog.

Also, I know that he intended it to be watched in 3D, but 3D gives me such a headache, I doubt I will.

Maybe if my family wants to see it Saturday or Sunday...

/tk

Most of the trailers and pre-reviews have made statements/comments that give you the idea of the us vs them plot, but I've also paid close attention to them too so maybe I got more coverage there.

The 3D is not a requirement, but you should absolutely see it on the big screen. I saw the 3D version and it really was spectacular, but the regular version should do just as well for the effects.

If the most important thing for you is a solid plot then you may well be disappointed. it carries the story along fine, but its not an original story in any sense of the term. Its one that's been rehashed many many times.

if you can enjoy the immersion in an entirely new world and really dive into the environment then you'll enjoy this.

I went in expecting the plot and I was still very very entertained. Cameron does a great job of pulling you into the hearts and minds of the characters.
Old 12-21-2009, 12:40 PM   #35
SportsDino
College Prospect

It's plot is light and predictable, but I think people just have too high a standard they are measuring it against. Its a standard action tale, only a die-hard neo-con could get offended by the 'liberal dogma'... we all know Hollywood likes to take its little jabs, but for the most part its forgetable.

It mostly is a pretty movie, not very deep, but reasonably entertaining in my opinion. I think people are walking into a popcorn blockbuster and expecting it to be best picture oscar material. If that is what you are looking for, why waste the money?
SportsDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 12:42 PM   #36
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsDino View Post
It's plot is light and predictable, but I think people just have too high a standard they are measuring it against. Its a standard action tale, only a die-hard neo-con could get offended by the 'liberal dogma'... we all know Hollywood likes to take its little jabs, but for the most part its forgetable.

It mostly is a pretty movie, not very deep, but reasonably entertaining in my opinion. I think people are walking into a popcorn blockbuster and expecting it to be best picture oscar material. If that is what you are looking for, why waste the money?

Stated far more succintly than I ever could.
Old 12-21-2009, 12:42 PM   #37
JediKooter
Coordinator

I didn't really get too much of a religous feel to the movie. Other than the Navi being 'connected' to the planet and the brief explaination by the blue chick and Riply, that was really it. There was, however, corporate greed that was all through the movie and unless someone makes the stretch of immenent domain, there was nothing political at all in my opinion.

Old 12-21-2009, 12:53 PM   #38
Sgran
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post

/tk

You, too? I took the kids to see Monsters Vs. Aliens and had to look away from the screen every 10 minutes or so.

With that said, I've been told that there are actually two current forms of 3d technology, and the one I suffered from (ie the red/blue one) is the cheap, bad one, and the other (ie the kind his theaters used) is much better.
Old 12-21-2009, 12:56 PM   #39
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgran View Post
You, too? I took the kids to see Monsters Vs. Aliens and had to look away from the screen every 10 minutes or so.

With that said, I've been told that there are actually two current forms of 3d technology, and the one I suffered from (ie the red/blue one) is the cheap, bad one, and the other (ie the kind his theaters used) is much better.

Yes the one for Avatar is MUCH better than the old red/blue styles. The glasses appear to be a smokey color at first.

I will warn anyone going to the 3D that the opening scenes are in free fall and it gave me a bit of motion sickness at a couple points.
Old 12-21-2009, 01:27 PM   #40
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

like RendeR said - . Although I guess it's a part of "knowing the audience you're writing for" and writing to them.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 02:10 PM   #41
revrew
Team Chaplain

This guy put it far better than me, I'll admit:

Big Hollywood » Blog Archive » Time to Call Out James Cameron
I came to the Crossroad. I took it. And that has made all the difference.
revrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 02:33 PM   #42
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

I nearly quit after the first paragraph, but I forced myself to read the rest of it. This reads to me like someone with an argument to make forcing that argument on to the movie. The fact that he can't even credit the special effects shows that he isn't willing to say anything good at all.

It doesn't matter how many movies I see that contain an "evil corporation", I'm never going to translate that into "America sucks". I don't know if Cameron made this movie with an agenda in mind, but the reviewer definitely had one.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 02:42 PM   #43
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

As for his whole "cultural war" thing with Hollywood and the liberal elites vs. conservatives, this angry dude, is missing the boat. This isn't about liberals vs. conservatives. That's what THEY want you to think. THEY want us to get embroiled in this silly two-sided war (democrat v. republic, liberal v. conservative, etc.) so that we fight amongst ourselves and become weak. This angry dude is playing right in THEIR filthy "hands".

Who are THEY, you ask? The aliens. That's right. The motherfucking aliens who have taken over Hollywood.

Who were the "good", sympathetic guys in "District 9"? The aliens. Who were the "good" and "morally" righteous people in "Avatar"? The aliens. All the big blockbuster sci-fi movies are about aliens as the "good guys". (Don't even get me STARTED on George Lucas. I mean, the fucking Ewoks!? Why was Ewok society so morally righteous? Why are the deaths of our America fighting men (who care called STORMTROOPERS (OMG!) in those movies no less) something you think ought to bring cheers from the audience? Fucker.)

THEY are softening us up for the inevitible invasion. So long as THEY keep pumping that crap out, we may actually emrbace the aliens when they make themselves known to us and then KILL US ALL or make us food.

THEY are winning this war. There is a pocket of resistance left in Hollywods, folks, but that pocket is weak and dying. You know the "V" re-make? The kind of shitty one? Where the aliens are, you know, actually bad? What happened to that show? Its ratings suck and it gets put on hiatus until March. What about those two alien invastion shows that premiered back in 2006? "Threshold" and "Invasion". What happened to those shows? Cancelled. After one season, if that.

THEY have all the talent. THEY have all the power. So long as THEY keep putting out successful movie after successful movie about "good" aliens and "evil" humans and sabotaging all of the "good" human and "bad" alien works, we are doomed, people. Fucking doomed.

How can we fight against this? Isn't it a losing battle?

No, it’s not a losing battle, because the mere act of raising the issue defeats the Hollywood ALIENS' insidious power to infiltrate and undermine. If the viewer sees the agenda, he can evaluate it, consider it, and then decide whether to accept or reject it. That’s not a process we HUMANS fear. We don’t have to disguise what we’re selling like our ALIEN – oops, I mean “extraterrestrial” – friends. That’s why the ALIENs value a discussion of its agenda like Darth Vader values underlings who lose the Millenium Flacon.

We need to confront the agenda not just because we like picking apart movies – though we do enjoy holding foolishness up to ridicule – but because every time the silly ideas and clichés of the Hollywood ALIENS pop up, someone has to be there to play alien whack-a-mole. After all, those who send these messages succeed only through misdirection — “Humans sucks. Now quick, look over there at that explosion!”

And we need to respond, “Wait, Humans what?”

Hey, ALIENS, you made your stupid movies. Now we’re going to make you make your case. We will NOT stand by why you prepare for your invasion. We will NOT be your food.

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 12-23-2009 at 03:42 PM.
Old 12-23-2009, 02:43 PM   #44
SportsDino
College Prospect

Another off the wall review, somehow the slightest parallel is call to mention the awesomeness of taking North America from the native population, the disasters of third world socialism, and global warming? The last two were not even in the movie, and the first has been present in a number of movies (a better attack on Avatar is a lack of originality than its 'dogma').

As much as the right gets sick of seeing movies made by liberal leaning producers, I get sick of reviews of conservative party line that mention one line vaguely resembling a movie's content before pushing out the old laundry list of how they 'love Ameruka' and no one else apparantly does.

Seems like no one can criticize excessive greed (thats offending CAPITALISM, as if anyone who writes these reviews could adequately describe capitalism to begin with, yet alone what is happening in America). Apparently showing a primitive culture is supporting third world socialism (guess what, most economic literature separates out tribal societies from socialism). Being against knocking down a huge ass tree for a fancy rock, oh the blasphemy (I know I would love living next to a giant hole in the ground, or a lake of pig poop, or any other environmental atrocity that all of you red-blooded Americans would scream about if it was in your backyard).

Guess what, you can sympathize with someone fighting against evil and stupidity without being a leftist!
SportsDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 02:53 PM   #45
Drake
assmaster

All I know about this movie based on previews, reviews and the article I read about it in Wired has convinced me that this is maybe the single least anticipated science fiction blockbuster for me personally in the last ten years.

That says nothing about the quality of the movie. What it means is that the marketing has failed to reach me, and I'm part of the target demographic. When I've talked to the other sci-fi guys I work with, the reaction has been uniformly meh. It's sort of a "Are you going to see Avatar this weekend?" - "Meh. If I don't have anything else going."

Not the reaction you want from your blockbusters.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 03:33 PM   #46
RendeR
Coordinator

Wow, where are these people getting this shit from? I mean are Rev and this other guy literally pulling this stuff out of their ass or what?

If you enjoy Science Fiction, you will enjoy Avatar. Period.

If you're so much of a mental shut in that everything you see and hear is just another attack on your belief systems and your political agenda then perhaps you should just stay home.

Just wow.
Old 12-23-2009, 03:44 PM   #47
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Poor plot development + weak, overused plot to begin with = pretty terrible storyline. It wasn't laughably bad or anything, just predictable and boring. I'm not really sure how a nearly three hour movie felt like they rushes the develoment, but they managed it.

Visually it was easily the most impressive movie I have ever seen. Overall, I'd give it a 7.5 / 10.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 03:56 PM   #48
RendeR
Coordinator

No argument on the overused storyline. I like that they tried to mold it into a twisted version of the storyline, but as you say there is definitely a high level of predictability in it.
Old 12-23-2009, 04:50 PM   #49
Tigercat
College Starter

I think the plotline would have been more forgivable if the characters were stronger. Weaver had the deepest character in the movie. The main character's seperation between his two lives could have been an interesting and complex look into his character, instead the way they handled it just felt like sloppy storytelling.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 05:57 PM   #50
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post
I think the plotline would have been more forgivable if the characters were stronger. Weaver had the deepest character in the movie. The main character's seperation between his two lives could have been an interesting and complex look into his character, instead the way they handled it just felt like sloppy storytelling.

I think they tried to look deeper into the main guys dual-life by using the video-log thing, they just didn't use it enough as far as I could see.