Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-09-2003, 07:40 PM   #1
digamma
Torchbearer

Use of America versus the United States

In high school, I remember being taught that while the adjective "American" was proper to describe people from the United States, the noun America does not correctly refer to the United States of America. Instead, America refers to the larger continent which may include North and South America.

I bring this up because it seems this rule, if it ever was one, is no longer. The use of the term is widespread among the press, politicians, the public and this board.

I'm curious to know if anyone else was ever taught this or if anyone has any thoughts on its no longer being used.

digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 07:42 PM   #2
Tarkus
High School Varsity

America refers to the United States. The Americas refers to North America, Central America, South America.

Tarkus
Old 04-09-2003, 08:16 PM   #3
digamma
Torchbearer

I may now be trying to answer my own question, but according to dictionary.com, "America" has two definitions--one is the United States and two is North, Central and South America.

The Americas is listed as a synonym for definition 2.
The United States is listed as a synonym for definition 1.

So, both may be correct.

I'd still be curious to know if anyone else was ever taught this.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 09:00 PM   #4
Craptacular
College Starter

Growing up, I thought an old Hardee's commercial was poorly written. It said, "We use only 100% American beef, not from Europe or South America". We all know what they meant, but it sounds wrong when you use "American" to describe something solely from the U.S. in the same sentence you use South America.
Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 11:09 PM   #5
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

I miss Hardee's. Glad to see you can still get the mushroom and swiss burger at Carl's Jr. however.
Old 04-09-2003, 11:20 PM   #6
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Hardees is alive and kicking in St. Louis. They just put out some 3/4 pound monstrosity of a burger. The thing is colossal...WAIT! It's FORMIDABLE!!!
Old 04-09-2003, 11:33 PM   #7
Craptacular
College Starter

We still have Hardees, although they're dropping like flies. There used to be 5 in Madison, and another 5 or so within an hour from here. Now, we're down to two total (either side of town), and those are supposedly being "upgraded" to Star Hardees, whatever the hell that means. It's a shame, 'cause Hardees had the best breakfast biscuits!
Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 11:42 PM   #8
JeeberD
General Manager

Ugh, I hated Hardee's when I was growing up. My parents always stopped there when we were on our way to visit my grandparents in Oklahoma...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 12:27 AM   #9
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

The Threadjack is on!

We lived within walking distance of a Hardee's when I was a kid. I ate there so often that as an adult I would rather eat mud than Hardee's (except breakfast, which is still pretty good).

Have you seen their latest commercials that basically say, "we know our burgers have always sucked, but NOW we have good burgers." Dumbest ads ever.

By the way, the history of Hardee's. Hardee's was bought out 10-15 years ago by Roy Rodger's Chicken/Carl Jr.'s. They were more recently purchased by Star burgers out of Arizona (?). That is why they a schyso with there menu and ads.
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 06:32 AM   #10
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by GrantDawg

By the way, the history of Hardee's. Hardee's was bought out 10-15 years ago by Roy Rodger's Chicken/Carl Jr.'s. They were more recently purchased by Star burgers out of Arizona (?). That is why they a schyso with there menu and ads.

My first job out of College was to manage a Hardee's in Butner NC. Let me shed a little light.

Hardees' was a profitable company that purchased Roy's. The expense and failure of turning the Roy's restaurants into Hardees' restaurants put the company into serious trouble.

While I was working for the company it was purchased by Carl's. The idea behind the deal was that Carl's had a profitable lunch/dinner menu, while Hardee's has a profitable breakfast menu. How it's working - I couldn't tell you. I do know the couple of times I've stopped in the past few years the place has sucked .

Quite a learning experience running one of those suckers, I do have a lot of empathy for the poul souls I see behind those counters now.
lynchjm24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 11:55 AM   #11
Daimyo
College Starter

I used to love Hardees, but almost overnight they turned to crap. I think it was about the time they started serving fried chicken... so probably after they purchased Roy Rodger's Chicken. The Frisco Burger was easily my favorite fast food hamburger...
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 12:12 PM   #12
scooper
College Benchwarmer

Before my buddy's wedding a few years back, all the groomsmen stopped in and got Frisco Burgers. This was to counter the libations from the night before. Needless to say, we spent the hours leading up to the ceremony in bathroom of the church hall. God Bless the Frisco Burger.

Sadly, the marriage has already failed. Just as sad is the closing of the nearest Hardees to my home. Now it's an empty shell of its former glorious greasy self.
scooper is offline   Reply With Quote