Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-17-2009, 07:28 AM   #1
CraigSca
Pro Starter

MLB 10: The Show

The best sports franchise out there continues to improve.

Preview up on ESPNGames:

Six things to know about 'MLB 10: The Show' - ESPN

Frankly, I'm not really impressed with some of the new features (though they are upgrading RTTS) because I don't play online. However, the game is pretty darned perfect already, so this is a no-brainer purchase for me (and since NCAA has tanked, my only no-brainer purchase for the year). The fact that there will be moving clouds (and their respective shadows) as well as dynamic lighting for day games has me kinda jazzed.
how do you know?

Last edited by CraigSca : 12-17-2009 at 07:29 AM.
CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 07:35 AM   #2
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Ugh, the first three months of 2010 are already a wallet killer with all the big games coming out. But there's no way I could avoid buying this game. I still play the 09 version regularly. Best sports game on the market by a long shot.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 08:14 AM   #3
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Looks nice and I agree that there isn't much that needs to be improved. My biggest gripe from last year was how ridiculous baserunning was.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 09:17 AM   #4
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Eh...once you got over the controls for baserunning it was fine. Unfortunately this is another game that you have to wait a couple months before you actually get involved in it. Unlike Madden, when SCEA releases a patch for The Show you have to restart your franchise/RTTS career. What that means for me is I'll probably wait until the final patch comes out (I think there were 2 or 3 patches this year) before I actually pick it up.
Old 12-17-2009, 09:23 AM   #5
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Dola

Quote:
"On the back end of that there is something called Game Completion," explains Luke. "If you're a starting pitcher, you now have the choice to see how the rest of the game plays out once you're removed."

yes...Yes...YESSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-17-2009, 09:39 AM   #6
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Really like the idea of calling the pitches as a catcher. Also looking forward to all the new minor league and old-time stadiums.
Old 12-17-2009, 10:03 AM   #7
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

The main reason I got a PS3 was the 09 version of this game. This will be a day 1 purchase for me. I hope they have other unannounced improvements for the RTTS mode.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 10:07 AM   #8
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

I would love it if the view was from the dugout when watching the rest of the game (don't remember if that was a camera view available).

I still don't like the baserunning even though I kind of got the hang of it. I just want some simple controls added for guys like me. An advance, reverse, and stop button. I found myself pushing the wrong way when the camera view shifter a lot. Never felt like I got a good jump off the ball.

One other fix I'd like to see is for closers. Was almost impossible to build up a good closer since the points were never enough. You could be the most dominant releiver in AA and AAA but not get the points necessary to give you a shot at the big leagues. I would love to play a RTTS as a closer this year and get deep into it.
Old 12-17-2009, 04:05 PM   #9
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

I'd love it if they switched the way player attributes are shown from bars to numbers. Decreased loading times between screens in franchise mode/RTTS would also be great, maybe an option to install all or parts of the game would help. As for base running I don't see how NES games could get it right with two buttons and make running the bases more enjoyable than the Show's two methods. I just use auto-baserunning.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 04:29 PM   #10
stevew
Hall Of Famer

so excited to finally be able to get this. When does it come out?
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 04:32 PM   #11
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
so excited to finally be able to get this. When does it come out?

My guess is early March. Last year it came out on the 2nd or 3rd or something.
Old 12-17-2009, 05:13 PM   #12
Mike Lowe
College Prospect

Sounds good, but all I really want to hear confirmed is that the AI teams, during franchise mode, move players up and down based on performance during the season and NOT just because of injuries.
Mike Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 10:14 PM   #13
Philliesfan980
Banned

I just saw this on OS, but it looks like you can pre-order this for $39.95. Not sure if it's an error or not, but I would imagine they'll honor the price.

Amazon.com: MLB 10 The Show: Playstation 3: Video Games
Philliesfan980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 05:36 AM   #14
Philliesfan980
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliesfan980 View Post
I just saw this on OS, but it looks like you can pre-order this for $39.95. Not sure if it's an error or not, but I would imagine they'll honor the price.

Amazon.com: MLB 10 The Show: Playstation 3: Video Games

Nevermind. I just received an e-mail saying that it was a mistake, and my order has been cancelled.
Old 12-19-2009, 09:45 AM   #15
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Missed this my first time around.

"There are also eleven new stadiums in the game, including five minor league stadiums and six classic fields including Forbes Field, Crosley Field, the Polo Grounds, Shibe Park, Sportsman's Park and Griffith Stadium (and the ability to choose a classic stadium as your home field during Franchise)."

I have been hoping a game would implement some of the great old stadiums. I can't wait to see what they come up with for some of these considering the detail the real-time parks have. Earl Weaver Baseball had all these and I loved playing in the Polo Grounds. Even adding 5 more minor league parks helps liven up the RTTS even more.
Old 12-19-2009, 09:52 AM   #16
Philliesfan980
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Missed this my first time around.

"There are also eleven new stadiums in the game, including five minor league stadiums and six classic fields including Forbes Field, Crosley Field, the Polo Grounds, Shibe Park, Sportsman's Park and Griffith Stadium (and the ability to choose a classic stadium as your home field during Franchise)."

I have been hoping a game would implement some of the great old stadiums. I can't wait to see what they come up with for some of these considering the detail the real-time parks have. Earl Weaver Baseball had all these and I loved playing in the Polo Grounds. Even adding 5 more minor league parks helps liven up the RTTS even more.

Agreed. Hopefully over the next few years they'll be allowed to add a few more each year.

I also hope that the ballparks play realistically (for example, it would be nearly impossible to hit a HR to dead center in the Polo Grounds)
Old 12-19-2009, 09:55 AM   #17
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Ah the Polo Grounds. I remember in High Heat 2003 I would use the Polo Grounds as my home stadium. I had a team full of fast gap hitters and would just mash inside the park HR's plus the occasional 275 foot job to LF.

God I love that park.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 10:14 AM   #18
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Agreed. Hopefully over the next few years they'll be allowed to add a few more each year.

I also hope that the ballparks play realistically (for example, it would be nearly impossible to hit a HR to dead center in the Polo Grounds)
I'd love to see some more added over the years. Heck, I'd graciously pay for a DLC that featured 5-10 old stadiums if they got the details done right. They did seem to capture most of the ones I had interest in with the exception of Ebbets Field being left out. Look forward to playing a few games at Griffith Stadium.
Old 12-19-2009, 10:54 AM   #19
cougarfreak
College Starter

Does this have a manage only mode?
cougarfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 11:58 AM   #20
Philliesfan980
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougarfreak View Post
Does this have a manage only mode?

It does, but for me it plays too slow to be used as a manage only mode.

One of the downsides to the game for me is that it's almost too realistic. When I played it with manage only mode, it would take an hour - hour and 15, to finish a game. This is because there's so much time (relatively speaking) between pitches and the long stretches by the pitchers. Even when I switched it to "fast" mode, it wasn't fast enough for me.

I'd love to see the game add a one pitch mode, ala High Heat a few years back. If I'm playing manage only, I don't want the games to take more than 20-30 minutes.
Old 12-19-2009, 11:59 AM   #21
Philliesfan980
Banned

Quote:
I'd love to see some more added over the years. Heck, I'd graciously pay for a DLC that featured 5-10 old stadiums if they got the details done right. They did seem to capture most of the ones I had interest in with the exception of Ebbets Field being left out. Look forward to playing a few games at Griffith Stadium.

Yeah, I'm with you. I'd gladly chip in an extra 10 bucks if there was a good amount of old stadiums available. I wonder what's slowing this down? Development time? MLB restrictions? Disk size?
Old 12-19-2009, 07:51 PM   #22
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yeah, I'm with you. I'd gladly chip in an extra 10 bucks if there was a good amount of old stadiums available. I wonder what's slowing this down? Development time? MLB restrictions? Disk size?
I think it's time consuming. I believe in an article I read it takes almost the full development time to build a stadium and have it work right. I'd also imagine there are some space issues they have to worry about.

I think they are doing a great job though. They've been adding a handful of minor league stadiums every year and now adding classic stadiums seems like a good trend. I'd love to see more but am really happy with the progress that has and is being made. I'd be happy with 2-3 classics being added every year along with continuing to perfect the current stadiums.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:26 AM   #23
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Mmmmmmm, yummy..........

Quote:
MLB 10 The Show NEW Features:

HR Derby – The Home Run Derby and MLB All-Star Futures Game are now available during the All-Star break in our season modes and as a stand-alone experience.

Catcher Calling the Game – Call pitches and play as the field general, just like Joe Mauer.

Online Gameplay Improved – This year the online gameplay experience has been vastly improved and will detect and respond better to adverse network conditions along with reduced bandwidth to help the speed and flow of online gameplay.

User Controlled Pick-Offs – Surprise a base runner with a quick move or lull him to sleep with our new pick-off mechanism.

Custom Music, Fan Yells, and Chants – Assign music or a recording to an entire team, edit tracks to assign batter walk-up music, or record your own voice and assign it to play for the team or player during the situation of your choice.

Movie Maker – Select up to ten replays to add to a single movie and do all the editing for your own highlight reel.

New Stadiums – Five new Minor League stadiums as well as classic parks including Forbes Field, Crosley Field, Polo Grounds, Shibe Park, Sportsman Park, and Griffith Stadium.

New Fielding/Pitching Training Modes and Practice Drills – New pitching and fielding training sessions will be part of our Road to The Show training suite.

Road to The Show Version 4.0 – New option settings (Game Watch and Game Completion) allow users to set how much of the game they wish to view, our mistake tracking system and new Green Light system reward and penalize good play, and our new stat tracking system keeps stats for your player’s career versus every pitcher or batter faced during the current season that can be accessed at any time.

Full Online Season Leagues – Fully functional online season leagues, save and display MLB Player stats, track player energy, allow for trades/injuries, and offer 40-man roster functionality.

Weekly Live Roster – An updated live roster will be available every week throughout the entire season.

Online Game History – View every game you’ve ever played online, complete with opponents, box scores, and game logs.

1-30 Player Season Modes – Control one or all 30 teams right from the start of your franchise or season.

New Camera System – The most realistic camera system available will make you double take and make sure you’re not watching a live MLB telecast.

Real-Time Presentations – More than 1,250 new gameplay animations, more than 1,000 new presentation animations, and more than 400 personalized pitcher and batter animations.

Stadium Realism and Experience – Details, details, details! MLB 10 The Show offers daytime transitional lighting, shows all players on field in real-time (including players in the dugout and bullpen), and offers improved stadium ambiance with HR/splash counters, fireworks, steam, noisemakers, towels, thunder sticks, working digital and analog clocks, crowd reaching over the rails, and crowd detail, such as interaction with vendors and placing K signs.
Old 01-08-2010, 10:32 AM   #24
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Jesus fucking christ I just jizzed in my pants.
Old 01-08-2010, 10:37 AM   #25
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Already pre-ordered this. Can't fucking wait for it to come out.

Has there been any word on tweaks to RTTS? Main one being how hard it was to get a closer to the majors (the goals were too hard for the amount of work you got). My other gripe was when they'd dock you for screwing up a hit & run as a hitter when a pitchout was thrown.

Funny thing is I had a dream the other night that this game was cancelled a la College Hoops.
Old 01-08-2010, 10:48 AM   #26
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

fuck me. i will have to get a PS3 so that I can play this goddamn game.
Old 01-08-2010, 11:16 AM   #27
CraigSca
Pro Starter

The best part is the March 2nd release
how do you know?

Old 01-08-2010, 11:42 AM   #28
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca View Post
The best part is the March 2nd release

Yep, not far away. Trade in the 09 version now so you get more that $.50 on trade-in.
Old 01-08-2010, 01:55 PM   #29
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I'm having too much fun playing the 09 version to trade it in

It is the only reason I own a PS3 and I can't wait for March 2nd.
Old 01-08-2010, 05:03 PM   #30
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
I'm having too much fun playing the 09 version to trade it in

It is the only reason I own a PS3 and I can't wait for March 2nd.

I do play games other than The Show on my ps3 but yes, IMHO it would still be worth buying a ps3 if The Show were the only game made for it. It is IMHO the best sports game ever made in the "stick jockey" category.
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 05:16 PM   #31
Radii
Head Coach

The Show + the fact that I didn't own a blu-ray player were the only two reasons I bought a PS3. I have zero regrets about this purchase
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 06:31 PM   #32
samifan24
Pro Starter

Ok I loved MLB 09 but I'm not as excited as everyone else about MLB 10. They've added a HR derby, the ability to play as a catcher, a revised RTTS and the ability to actually play online (so they say). I loved 09 but it doesn't seem like enough to get me to buy 10. I'm surprised I seem to be the only one. Where's the awesome new feature?
Old 01-08-2010, 07:54 PM   #33
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Well I read they added thousands of new animations as well. I don't know what new features you're looking for though. There is only so much you can do with a baseball game. I guess just making what they have better is worth the $60 to me.
Old 01-08-2010, 08:02 PM   #34
Philliesfan980
Banned

Does anyone know of any preorder sites that have free overnight shipping for this one?
Old 01-08-2010, 08:48 PM   #35
MrDNA
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post
Ok I loved MLB 09 but I'm not as excited as everyone else about MLB 10. They've added a HR derby, the ability to play as a catcher, a revised RTTS and the ability to actually play online (so they say). I loved 09 but it doesn't seem like enough to get me to buy 10. I'm surprised I seem to be the only one. Where's the awesome new feature?

I'm with you, samifan. I think how much I love 09 actually makes me LESS likely to buy 10. There's nothing glaring that bugs me that I can't wait to be fixed, and there's nothing missing I can't live without. Plus, I'm poor. Of course, after all the reviews come out and I find it for $40 somewhere...
MrDNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 10:32 PM   #36
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Actually - two things turn me on. One, the light changing in day games. I'm sorry, but I'm a sucker for things like that. Two, they mention they changed the friction on ground balls. I used to hate when you'd have a liner hit right down the line and the ball would roll to a stop before the fielder got to it. Now, liners hit down the line will roll into the corner - more doubles and more fun seeing outfielders trying to read the angles off the corners.

While I admit there are no ground-breaking features, it sounds like they're tightening up the best game on the market. It's an easy buy.
how do you know?

Old 01-08-2010, 11:52 PM   #37
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Yeah we have to keep supporting it, otherwise the team will get replaced with a "big features" team and the back of the box will start looking great ... but gameplay will suffer.
Mota is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 08:45 AM   #38
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

I'd also note that they've been good about continuing to tweak the goal mechanics in the RTTS mode (which I play almost exclusively). The relief pitching reward methods left some things to be desired. I'm looking for improvement there as well as in the baserunning, which also needed to be tweaked.
Old 01-09-2010, 01:22 PM   #39
CraigSca
Pro Starter

I'd also like to note that they will now allow you to play on different levels of difficulty for batting and pitching. This will help me a lot as I'm much better at pitching than I am at hitting in the game.
how do you know?

Old 01-09-2010, 01:26 PM   #40
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'd also like to note that they will now allow you to play on different levels of difficulty for batting and pitching. This will help me a lot as I'm much better at pitching than I am at hitting in the game.

That is awesome! That will enable me to finally enjoy a dynasty as opposed to just the RTTS, as I have the same issues with hitting.
Old 01-09-2010, 02:10 PM   #41
MrDNA
High School Varsity

Quote:

Oh, wow, I didn't notice that before. I am also a much better pitcher than batter and would enjoy the dual difficulties. Still, I'm too poor to pick this up w/o a serious discount.
MrDNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 07:12 AM   #42
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Some of the feature blogs starting to trickle out. This one is about the 30 person franchise mode........

MLB 10: The Show 30-Player Franchise Mode – PlayStation.Blog
Old 01-26-2010, 08:05 PM   #43
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Just a heads up, but I'm not sure the six classic stadiums will be free. They are being sold as a bonus for those who preorder from Gamestop and Amazon. I'd imagine they'll be available for everyone but wondering if it'll cost some money for everyone else or will have a delayed release for others. Just FYI in case you wanted those, it's probably a good idea to preorder.

Oh and Amazon has screenshots of the 6 parks.

Last edited by RainMaker : 01-26-2010 at 08:05 PM.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:45 PM   #44
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Just a heads up, but I'm not sure the six classic stadiums will be free. They are being sold as a bonus for those who preorder from Gamestop and Amazon. I'd imagine they'll be available for everyone but wondering if it'll cost some money for everyone else or will have a delayed release for others. Just FYI in case you wanted those, it's probably a good idea to preorder.

Oh and Amazon has screenshots of the 6 parks.

It's got to be a delayed release. There would be an uproar if it didn't work that way. Either way, a very poor choice from a development group that does everything else right.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 01-26-2010 at 09:46 PM.
Old 01-26-2010, 10:12 PM   #45
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
It's got to be a delayed release. There would be an uproar if it didn't work that way. Either way, a very poor choice from a development group that does everything else right.

I saw on PastaPadre that you have to unlock every trophy to get the stadiums. How many people will actually do that?
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 10:27 PM   #46
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
I saw on PastaPadre that you have to unlock every trophy to get the stadiums. How many people will actually do that?
See I hate that shit way more than making someone pay for a DLC. If you make a game with extra stadiums, uniforms, teams, etc in it, then either give it to me when I buy it or let me buy it from somewhere. I don't care to play the game for 400 hours to get them.

College Hoops used to do that shit with stuff and it pissed me off.
Old 01-26-2010, 10:29 PM   #47
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
See I hate that shit way more than making someone pay for a DLC. If you make a game with extra stadiums, uniforms, teams, etc in it, then either give it to me when I buy it or let me buy it from somewhere. I don't care to play the game for 400 hours to get them.

College Hoops used to do that shit with stuff and it pissed me off.

+1
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 10:45 PM   #48
BigPapi
Mascot

Quote:

You will be able to purchase them as DLC from the PSN store after release at some point apparently. I still think this was a poor decision....although I did pre-order (but it's always a first day purchase for me anyway).
BigPapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 06:21 AM   #49
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:

I'll be very surprised if they don't reverse that decision. That's going to piss off a LOT of the people who love this game. This is something that EA would pull with Madden. Really not a smart move, but I'll wait to bitch until release day to see if they stick with that idea.
Old 01-31-2010, 12:37 PM   #50
cougarfreak
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post

I'm seriously debating as well.
cougarfreak is offline   Reply With Quote