Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-16-2009, 02:41 PM   #1
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Ping: FOFC Canadians

A couple of stupid questions that you may or may not know the answer to. I say that because I don't think I could answer these questions if you replaced Canada with USA.

Canadian nationality law - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So, according to the "infallible" wikipedia, here's the requirements to naturalize to Canada:

A person who is a permanent resident may apply for Canadian citizenship by naturalization (grant) after three years of residency in Canada.
The requirements in full are that the person:
  • is aged 18 years or over
  • is a permanent resident
  • has lived in Canada for a total of three years out of the four years preceding the application for citizenship
  • knows about Canada (a test is required as part of the application process, but only if the applicant is between 18 and 54 years of age)
  • knows the rights and responsibilities of Canadian citizenship
  • is of good character
  • is not a war criminal
  • is able to speak English or French well enough to communicate with people
It looks like you can nationalize if you live in Canada for 3 of 4 years (or basically, within three years if you don't leave) and pass the citizenship test.

Permanent resident (Canada) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So, how hard is it to become a permanent resident? I assume that's more process than just getting a work visa as a permanent resident by definition implies you have no time limit on your stay.

Let's say I work for a large multi-national corporation with offices in Canada (hey! I do!) and transferred to a job up there. What kind of paperwork do I need to get a job in Canada? Can this job allow me to become a permanent resident?

If you pass the qualifications, are there caps or quotas to becoming a Canadian citizen? I know, for instance, one of the hangups here is that if you're from a certain country, say, Mexico- it's too difficult to get in legally. How about if you're from the US, trying to become a Canadian citizen?

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 02:43 PM   #2
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

it's a lot colder than houston, kansas or virginia SI
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 02:59 PM   #3
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
it's a lot colder than houston, kansas or virginia SI

Well, aware of that fact. Tho it's not that much worse, in terms of temperatures, than Kansas. In KC, average January high is 3C/38F (vs -1/30, see below). Snowfall's another matter, tho. But I was really starting to like the warmer climate here in VA:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiki
Despite being cold, extended snow free periods occur in most winters. The average January maximum is −1 °C (30 °F) in the city.[2] There are usually a few colder periods where temperatures remain below −10 °C (14 °F) and less frequently below −20 °C (−4 °F) (especially in the northern suburbs), with wind chills making it feel like −30 (−22).[3] The coldest temperature recorded at Toronto Pearson International Airport was −31.3 °C (−24.3 °F) on January 4, 1981, and the coldest windchill recorded was −44.7 (−48.5) on the same day.

I was just curious mainly about the questions above. Didn't want to get really too sidetracked, but it's probably inevitable.

SI

Old 12-16-2009, 03:08 PM   #4
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

ugh! really? -4F in Toronto?

no thanks!
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 04:21 PM   #5
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

I'll be honest, I don't know much about how to become a permanent resident but after seeing those qualifications I'm thinking either Wikipedia is full of shit or else somebody at the immigration department needs to pay a little closer attention...that "being able to speak english or french well enough" has got to be a crock.
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 04:31 PM   #6
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyshaka View Post
I'll be honest, I don't know much about how to become a permanent resident but after seeing those qualifications I'm thinking either Wikipedia is full of shit or else somebody at the immigration department needs to pay a little closer attention...that "being able to speak english or french well enough" has got to be a crock.

It looks like that's true to actually become a citizen. To get some kind of temporary visa, though, probably doesn't have that same requirement.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 05:01 PM   #7
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
It looks like that's true to actually become a citizen. To get some kind of temporary visa, though, probably doesn't have that same requirement.

Boy, then my neighbours of at least 6 years must not be permanent residents then because they can't speak anything but Punjabi.
Old 12-16-2009, 05:03 PM   #8
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Boy, then my neighbours of at least 6 years must not be permanent residents then because they can't speak anything but Punjabi.

They might be legal permanent residents, but they can't be actual Canadian citizens. (Or at least, they couldn't have acquired citizenship at some point during adulthood)

Last edited by molson : 12-16-2009 at 05:03 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 05:09 PM   #9
MikeVic
Head Coach

Yeah I don't think everyone here can speak English or French well. And they must work, right? So maybe if you get your job thing there, you can just get the same thing they all have (whatever that may be). I don't really know the rules on this stuff.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 05:15 PM   #10
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
They might be legal permanent residents, but they can't be actual Canadian citizens. (Or at least, they couldn't have acquired citizenship at some point during adulthood)

Ah, bingo...guess I was thinking permanent resident=Canadian citizen.
Old 12-16-2009, 10:33 PM   #11
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

From the way the US media talks, you should have no problem just sneaking across the border and setting up camp here.

What city would you be looking to live in? If you're aiming at Toronto then you might not be too terribly frozen between November and April, but if you head to somewhere like Winnipeg or Edmonton, God help you.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 10:36 PM   #12
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:

Well there goes my dream of living in Canada
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 10:40 PM   #13
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
From the way the US media talks, you should have no problem just sneaking across the border and setting up camp here.

What city would you be looking to live in? If you're aiming at Toronto then you might not be too terribly frozen between November and April, but if you head to somewhere like Winnipeg or Edmonton, God help you.

Not entirely sure and just was getting some basic information on a whim. This is just me throwing out some feelers. My wife and I have been talking on and off since going to Italy last year. If one or both of us lost our job or were looking for new jobs- we're much more open to looking into what it takes to get a job somewhere outside the US than we would have been previously. Just curious about how it would be with moving to other countries, starting with Canada.

SI

Old 12-16-2009, 11:05 PM   #14
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post

Hey, easy now, just because it was -45 on the weekend doesn't mean a damn thing...it's supposed to be 0 tomorrow.

Again, SI, sorry I couldn't help with any useful info but good luck on the potential move, if it ever happens...my wife and I were talking about doing something similar once upon a time but never had the guts.
Old 12-16-2009, 11:16 PM   #15
DanGarion
Coordinator

I wish the US required people to have to be able to speak English...
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 12:56 AM   #16
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post
I wish the US required people to have to be able to speak English...

I do, too, and not because I hate people of other countries or anything in the US. However, I do think that language is a very strong bond between people and having a common language builds commonality and helps assimilation into a culture.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 12-17-2009 at 12:57 AM.
Old 12-17-2009, 10:49 AM   #17
bbor
Pro Starter

The answer to all this is........EH!

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote