Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-11-2009, 01:34 PM   #1
Galaril
Pro Starter

Book Recommendation: The Basketball Book

I am not a huge fan of Bill Simmons though I am from Boston originally if that matters as a qualifier. He is just too much of a homer even for my tastes. But I must say especially for fans of early 70s- early 90s basketball in the NBA, Simmons new book "The Basketball Book" is a great read. I only agree with about half of his theories but it is very entertaining.

Last edited by Galaril : 12-11-2009 at 01:34 PM.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 08:48 PM   #2
hoopsguy
General Manager

I've put it on my Christmas list, based on multiple recommendations. Hopefully I'll have a chance to read it sometime between Christmas and New Years.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 10:07 PM   #3
stevew
Hall Of Famer

What is the language like? I'd get it if it is PG13, but if there are more than a couple F Bombs my dad won't like it.

Last edited by stevew : 12-11-2009 at 10:10 PM.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 10:29 PM   #4
Philliesfan980
Banned

I'll jump in and say it's a great book. I think you can get it off of Amazon.com for $12. For the size of the book, and the quality (it's hardcover), it's a no-brainer. Really entertaining read.
Philliesfan980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 04:21 AM   #5
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
What is the language like? I'd get it if it is PG13, but if there are more than a couple F Bombs my dad won't like it.

Definitely R rated.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 08:36 AM   #6
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
Definitely R rated.

Yup that would be true.
Old 12-12-2009, 09:27 AM   #7
Subby
lolzcat

Unbelievable book. Right in Simmons' wheelhouse.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 10:11 AM   #8
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Any of the above not really care for Bill Simmon's that much but still really enjoy the book or are you guys huge Simmons fans?

I ask because I do not really care for him that much but still wonder if I can get past that and enjoy his book.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 11:03 AM   #9
Logan
Head Coach

Been busy and haven't read it yet, but I'm going to guess no. It's very anecdotal, has the footnotes, cultural references, etc

I'm kinda surprised he didn't try to write it in more of an informative style so someone could read it in 20 years like he talks about Breaks of the Game, etc
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 12:12 PM   #10
Swaggs
Coordinator

It is a fun and really informative, but in my opinion, a difficult read. Maybe it was just me, but it was a little burdensome and took a lot of extra time, although it was worthwhile, to read all of the footnotes along with the regular content.

Anyway, I definitely enjoyed it and was glad I read it (and, will probably even refer back to it from time to time). It is probably targeted more towards the age group on this messageboard (early 20s to mid-40s?) as far as a lot of the cultural references and it is a hair on the difficult side to read (I don't think someone with attention problems would do well with it).

As a quick aside, I just picked up a book called "The Draft" by Pete Williams and I have been enjoying it early on. It is about the inner-workings of the 2005 NFL draft. I just got it yesterday and have only read about 50-pages, but so far it is has been discussing how agents recruit draft prospects, a little bit about teams' front offices, and then about the history of the draft. It is pretty cool and seems like it names names, which I always enjoy. I'd recommend it.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 05:37 PM   #11
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post
Any of the above not really care for Bill Simmon's that much but still really enjoy the book or are you guys huge Simmons fans?

I ask because I do not really care for him that much but still wonder if I can get past that and enjoy his book.

Like I said not a fan of Simmons and did not agree with alot of what he said but still a real entertaining read. If nothing else for folks that don't like Boston sports fans this book may remind you why you dislike us so much.
Old 12-12-2009, 07:53 PM   #12
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
Like I said not a fan of Simmons and did not agree with alot of what he said but still a real entertaining read. If nothing else for folks that don't like Boston sports fans this book may remind you why you dislike us so much.

I thought he did a decent job at balancing out pretty well.
Old 12-12-2009, 08:59 PM   #13
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
I thought he did a decent job at balancing out pretty well.

I am not done with it but the first few chapters are quite Celtics centric albeit informative.
Old 12-12-2009, 10:15 PM   #14
vex
Grizzled Veteran

I really like it but do get tired of hearing Celtics stories and Celtics biases(IMO of course).

I'd still recommend it though.
vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 04:50 AM   #15
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveBollea View Post
Well, when a team's won ~25% of the available championships, there's going to be a lot about them, especially when he does his history of the NBA. I personally think the best part of the book is the sections where he ranks the top 96 players of all-time, especially the lower chunk of players most people never write about. But yeah, when he talks about the 60's in the NBA, the Celtic's are gonna' be mentioned...a lot.

And that's fine...they have to be. The problem I have is the fact he didn't mention anything about Larry Bird's relationship with his daughter. A fair reporter would have. Especially, after he trashed so many other players.
Old 12-23-2009, 06:13 AM   #16
TLK
Pro Starter

$4.99
TLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 07:40 AM   #17
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

I got it, read it, it's okay...I do have a signed copy though, which is nice.
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 09:06 AM   #18
lcjjdnh
College Prospect

I guess the book entertained me enough that I finished it quickly, but I thought it was flawed in many ways -- even aside from many of the standard complaints about Simmons (too wordy, too many forced pop culture references, too many mentions of his "friends"). He thinks his obvious observations are brilliant ("The Secret" for instance), says he hates using stats and then uses stats to try and prove all of points, and has many logical inconsistencies throughout the book. It's not even the end result of many of this rankings that bothered me--it's the clearly flawed path he uses to reach his conclusions (and this is coming from a casual NBA fan with little stake in any of these matters).
lcjjdnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 09:13 AM   #19
lcjjdnh
College Prospect

Also, even if you like the Simmons's standard writing techniques, I didn't think he pulled them off particularly well. As mentioned above, many of the pop culture references seemed forced and there just because he expects his readers to expect them there. And his name-dropping was over-the-top--just wait until you get to the footnote about an e-mail from Matt Damon.

In addition, I'm fairly certain that many of the ideas he takes credit for and beats to the death are stolen from other people. He does credit some other writers during portions of the book, but I feel as though quotes are more to be like "See, I read SI as a kid and respect great journalists" than adding anything to the book.

Finally, as someone mentioned above, the footnotes are out of control. Many were interesting and entertaining, but it makes the book very difficult to read.
lcjjdnh is offline   Reply With Quote