Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-08-2009, 05:27 AM   #1
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Pain

There are two major types of pain: Physical and emotional. We've all felt pain in both regards at some time. Some of us have had pain so bad (physical or emotional) it makes us curl up into a ball and cry like a bitch. Some of us may list a mosquito bite or a two-week floozie's rejection as our worst pain. What I want to know is: What was the cause of the most pain you've ever experienced physically, and what the cause of the most pain you've ever experienced emotionally. I don't care how slight or severe you may think it is. Just tell us, your FOFC friends. I'll give my stories as a jumping off point.

Physical: I've been pretty lucky physically. I've never had any reason to go under the knife, or even worn a cast. My two most physically painful times are:

When I was about 5 years old, I dislocated my elbow watching 'I Love Lucy". My mom and her boyfriend at the time were moving into a new condo, and while they were painting the living, I was left to watch 'I Love Lucy' episodes on a shitty little battery operated TV. Since there was no furniture in the house, and the TV was about 8 inches diagonally, I lied down on my stomach and propped myself up on my elbows. I went to get up during a commercial break, and my elbow popped. I couldn't move it, and it hurt like hell. My mom took me to the ER, and they popped it back in place. My recovery time was nothing, because 5-year-olds can deal with anything.

The second worst physical pain was breaking my arm about 3 years ago. I got drunk at a little get-together at my BFF's house, and woke up the next day with a sore arm. We were all watching the Academy Awards the next night, and I sarcastically clapped for some untalented loser. That first clap took me the ground. It felt like a bomb went off in my arm. I held it together in front of everyone (If you call rolling on the carpet and biting your lower lip harder than you ever have before 'holding it together'), and then drove home. I let it heal on it's own, but I couldn't put on a T-shirt in anything less than 5 minutes for about a week. I know....I'm a pussy.

The worst emotional pain I've ever felt was after I dumped the only girl I've ever loved for the last time. We had done that whole "on-again, off-again" thing for almost a year, with each of us trading dumping responsibilities. Then I dumped her for about the third time, but a week passed and I wanted her back. She was over me, and it was for real this time. This was right before Thanksgiving in '06, and I remember not wanting to eat the food my family had made. I couldn't even bother to show up. I was torn up somethin' bad. The lowest point was when I went to a co-workers house to jam, and I wound up bawling into her voicemail in front of everybody "How can you not care about me anymore?!?!?". It was truly a pathetic sight to see.

These stories are lame and truly representative of a young person with no real life experience, I know. Consider it a call to all of you that have actually dealt with real pain. Tell us your stories!

Don't make me the lone dumbass here, guys (and gals). Make with the trauma!

Karlifornia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 05:37 AM   #2
RainMaker
General Manager

Physical: Been pretty lucky here as well. About 6 months ago I hurt my neck really bad sleeping on the coach. Woke up in excruciating pain that radiated to the back of my head. It was gut wrenching to turn my head in any direction and it throbbed constantly. I thought I was having an aneurysm or something. Would lay down and not get up because the act of lifting my head off the pillow was so painful. They gave me pain killers and muscle relaxers that had virtually no effect. Weird thing is that it went away on its own almost overnight.

Emotional: Broke up with a girlfriend of almost 3 years after college and moved back to Chicago. Found out about 6 months later that she was engaged to be married. I wasn't talking to her and had no plans to ever date or see her again, but it still hit my like a ton of bricks for some reason. Kind of a feeling of a missed opportunity mixed with the fact she moved on so quick. Felt like our relationship didn't mean much as I wasn't really in a position to even get in a relationship for a year following our breakup (was dating but didn't want a girlfriend). The positive to this is that I ran across her Facebook a few years later and she's gotten pretty fat.

I'd also toss in losing my dog. Was devestated for a good week and still think of him today at times. He had been with me through so much and was such a good friend. I miss him a lot.

Last edited by RainMaker : 12-08-2009 at 05:38 AM.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 06:28 AM   #3
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Physical

TIE: I think it was in 2000 living in Philly, I was attempting to deep frying onion rings on the stove. I didn't have a deep fryer so I put some oil in a sauce pan and put the stove top on medium. I was in the other room as I saw a light flicker in the kitchen - there was a good 2 foot flame coming from the sauce pan. I panicked and took the pan by the handle and went to go throw it out the back door. As I threw the pan out the door some flaming grease fell on my hand and the grease on my hand caught fire. No one was around - roomates were gone and gf at the time was at school. So I had to drive myself to the hospital with on hand and I had a stick shift at the time(I was able to still have a cig). I had 3rd degree burns all over my hand and had to have several skin grafts on the my fingers and knuckles. What's amazing is you can't really even tell other than my hair doesn't grow in some areas.

My other is when I was 18. I was on a friend's bed of a pickup truck sitting on his wheel well. He decided to be funny and slam on his breaks. I went face first into his bed and smashed my four front teeth in. I went into shock and really don't remember much after. Just a few years ago I had to get root canal on all four teeth - not fun.

EMOTIONAL
I've been pretty lucky so far in my life. Still have both parents - haven't really known someone close to me die other than my grandparents. My mom's mom - she passed in my parents house and we were by her side. I still miss her very much - there isn't a day that goes by that I wish she was her to see my beautiful daughter.

I have a couple bad breakups (a fiancee that broke things off a six months before our wedding - we were to damn young) but nothing that brought me down for more than a couple weeks.

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 08:37 AM   #4
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Emotional: Broke up with a girlfriend of almost 3 years after college and moved back to Chicago. Found out about 6 months later that she was engaged to be married. I wasn't talking to her and had no plans to ever date or see her again, but it still hit my like a ton of bricks for some reason. Kind of a feeling of a missed opportunity mixed with the fact she moved on so quick. Felt like our relationship didn't mean much as I wasn't really in a position to even get in a relationship for a year following our breakup (was dating but didn't want a girlfriend). The positive to this is that I ran across her Facebook a few years later and she's gotten pretty fat.

I hear you. I dated a woman for a little over 2 years and really fell hard for her. She obviously wasn't as into me and ended up breaking up with me and dating another guy. Well like any long term relationship we had off and on hook-ups and about 10 months later she was engaged to marry the other guy. All of my friends say that I should be thankful that I dodged that mess but I have to admit that hearing she got engaged hit me harder than breaking up with her. I should be happy that I don't have to deal with her and that her marriage is doomed to fail but love does crazy things. Like you I think the fact that she moved on so quick is what really eats at my gut because I can't think of one possible scenerio where I would want to be the one engaged to her.

Last edited by panerd : 12-08-2009 at 08:38 AM.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 08:51 AM   #5
TroyF
Coordinator

Physical -

Tae Kwon Doe tournament, did a roundhouse kick and the guys blocked it with an elbow. Only his pad had slipped up. Fractured my foot. I decided to be a tough guy (I'm competitive as hell) and stay in and fight. Got my ass kicked and ended up with a foot that resembled a club for a week.

Playing softball in a park. Dove to get the ball, knee hit a sprinkler head. Sliced one layer of skin right off from the top of the knee down to just above the shin. It didn't scab over for 3 days. I had to change the bandages. Never hurt so horribly.

Emotional -

My first love cheating on me. I didn't get over it for a year.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 09:16 AM   #6
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

I once developed a condition that resulted in the same exact pain you get if you've just been kicked in the balls... for three days.

Basically I was curled up in a fetal position for an entire weekend after the trip to the ER.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 09:18 AM   #7
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Let me see...

Physical - I have 2, but the first I think takes the cake as my most painful.

Ear - Playing ward basketball and I go up for a rebound, get an elbow in my left ear. I am completely deaf in my right ear so I panicked and ran home, we went to the ER that night because my hearing wasn't coming back. The informed me a ruptured ear drum.

Went to the ENT the next day and he began what was the most painful process I have ever experienced and I had to do it 1x a week for 4 weeks.

He numbed my ear canal (trust me, a needle in the ear canal is extremely painful) and then took one of those dentist type hook picks and picked at the rupture in my ear until it started bleeding. The goal, to get it to scab and heal on it's own so they wouldn't have to do surgery. The pain experienced from this procedure I would never wish upon my worst enemy.

Shoulder - I was playing semi-pro ball and disclocated a shoulder on a QB Sack. Sat out a week, and played again..just to dislocate it again, it became an off again on again thing. I then went in and they had to shave bone on the arm and shoulder to get the damn thing to sit right. I couldn't move my shoulder for a few days without sharp pain going through the neck, it actually caused migraines.

Emotional - I was going to post the break up of my first love, but then I realized nothing tore me up more than the passing of my grandfather. He basically raised me, I actually was the one to oversee the funeral and viewing and it made it rough. It was combined with one of the most emotionally challanging parts of my marriage to...so I would have to say, that was it.
Old 12-08-2009, 09:33 AM   #8
MizzouCowboy
H.S. Freshman Team

Physical

My freshman year in high school at football practice. Ran the ball up the middle and our 6' 6", 266 lb DT speared me in the lower/middle back, breaking 3 ribs 1/4 from my spine. Not sure how long I was on the ground, but it seemed like forever. Mostly I remember the coaches pinching my toes asking if I could feel anything. Luckily I did. Back was bleeding like crazy too.

My junior year in high school I was mowing the back lawn. We'd just poured a large patio a week or so prior. Apparently there was a piece of re-mesh (wire) in the grass and it hit me in the calf, going through the left side and out the right. I've always said it felt like someone hit me with a sledgehammer, absolutely excruciating.

Other injuries include breaking my ankle; a rock from (yet again) a mower that hit my shin which left a baseball sized scar; and a seriously painful neck sprain that came out of nowhere and I let it linger for a week or so until I couldn't even move it, actually cried like a little bitch in front of my wife and kids and had to go to the emergency room.

Emotional

Two times in my life i wouldn't wish on anyone.

18 years old. My step dad and my boss show up at my house on an early Sunday morning. (We worked for a doctor building duplexes and rental properties for him) I'm outside doing something with my car and they start walking up to me. Give me the news that my mom died of a heart attack at the age of 42.

10 years ago I show up for work on Monday morning and the guy I work for and the job site foreman don't show up for work. At first we don't think much of it, just assume that they partied a little to much over the weekend. They had planned a big weekend on the lake, with my boss, his wife, the job foreman, and another close friend and ex-employee. 'Bout noon rolls around and I start wondering WTF, we have a semi load of siding coming in and no one shows to help out? (we were a small but very successful construction company) I call the office and ask the secretary if anyone had heard from anyone. No one had heard anything. I'd already called their cell phones several times but never got an answer. Day passes and no one has heard anything, by this time there is a search out looking for them. Next morning arrives and I'm getting ready to head to work and the phone rings, I assume it is my foreman and I'm ready to give him a lot of shit. Kinda surprised when it is the cleaning lady. She tells me to sit down. She says they are all dead. My boss, his wife, the foreman, the friend are dead. The next week I bury the four best friends I will ever have.
MizzouCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 10:25 AM   #9
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Physical - Breaking my ankle/foot about 3 years ago while playing football. I've had three surgeries so far with one more minor one to go. I have a metal rod in my foot and had pins in my ankle for about a year. I seriously wanted to cut off my foot because it was painful and annoying.

Emotional - The breaking my ankle. It meant I wasn't going to be like the rest of the males in my family and play football any more. I felt like a loser because I was the only one who couldn't play football in college or in the NFL like my brother, cousins, uncles or father. I missed about 4 months of school because I was depressed and didn't want to do anything. Even now I feel like shit when we have family gatherings and they start talking about football. I am happy for my brother and cousins but always in the back of my mind I wonder what if I never got hurt.

The second would be when a good friend of mine was murdered. The reasons he was murdered is what made me cry like a absolute bitch for about a week. Today this day I have a lot of resent toward people with a ghetto mentality because it was that narrow thinking that resulted in my friend's murder.
Old 12-08-2009, 10:38 AM   #10
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Physical - I've been lucky -- no broken bones, no hospital stays, no serious illness or injury. But a few weeks ago I had to go in for an endoscopy and it was just about the worst 15 minutes of my life. I chose not to have sedation, which was a mistake because apparently I have the gag reflex of a teenage girl. I spent the entire time retching and puking (mixed in with the pleasant feeling of them cutting bits of flesh out of me for biopsy!), and could barely move my upper body for three days afterwards because of the muscle strain.

Last edited by Maple Leafs : 12-08-2009 at 10:39 AM.
Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 11:10 AM   #11
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

I've been pretty lucky physically as well... the first physical pain I thought of was the pain in my teeth after I had my teeth whitened a few years ago. For about 24 hours I sounded like someone with Tourette's, because every time I'd get a "zinger" in one of my teeth, I just couldn't help myself from yelling some obscenity or another.

Emotional? When my mom died, no question about it. It's been almost a year and I still have days where I miss her so much it almost cripples me.
Old 12-08-2009, 11:26 AM   #12
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Physical : When I was a teenager, went fishing in July in an aluminum boat and had my shirt off. Pure stupidity. I ended up with 2nd degree burns over my entire back and neck and blistered up over the next week and large sheets of my skins just peeled away. It took around 4 days for the pain to subside to a 'normal' level of sunburn. I guess technically they would say I had 2nd degree burns over around 25% of my body. When I hear things like '3rd degree over 50%', I just cringe. I remember the pain I was in and can only imagine.

Although, the worst injury I had didn't involve pain. It was a concussion where the right side of my body went numb and I couldn't speak. That scared the hell out of me.

Emotional. My first wife leaving me. If someone would have told me that that would be the best thing that would happen to me I would have punched them, but I have my current wife and child to thank for her leaving me. So... HA!
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...

Last edited by Mustang : 12-08-2009 at 11:58 AM.
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 11:50 AM   #13
Travis
Pro Rookie

Physical: At a ball tournament last July, I was playing short stop and on a hit back to the pitcher I came across for the feed at second to (hopefully) start a double play. The feed was high and behind me so I tried to jump, catch the ball and still toe drag the base. Only problem was this infield was some of the hardest shale I've ever played on and when I came down on my left foot, it was like landing on a polished dance floor. Cleats never broke the shale, foot went one way, leg went the other and my fibula snapped about 4 inches above my foot, but the upper part of the bone proceeded to come down and across the leg, tearing pretty much everything before exiting through the inside part of the ankle (which, adding insult to injury, also dislocated). To me at the time it just felt...black. Like a void. I thought I had blown my knee out so after landing on my chest I flipped myself over and grabbed my knee, trying to get it back in place (which apparently did result in the positive of pulling the bone back into the leg which I'm told was a good thing by the guy who performed my surgery). Then I hear everybody on my team telling me to stay still as they could all see that my foot was hanging at what apparently could only be described as an awkward angle.

The best part of this was that when I got the rest of my gear back later on, not a single drop of blood ended up on the cleat of that foot. Not because there wasn't a lot of blood, but apparently it was going through my sock with such force that it was arcing past the cleat.

On the plus side, a metal plate and 3 months later I was back to playing rec ball hockey. Not necessarily well mind you, but off the bench and back in the action in less than 90 days.

Only broken bone I've ever had, waited until I was 29 to do it and apparently I did it up in grandiose fashion. I'm pretty much hoping I hit my quota with that one though.

Emotional: Not much to say here. Have had my share of breakups that will stick with me for sure, but nothing past that which we'll almost all go through at some point. Still have all of my immediate family and never had a close friend taken suddenly. I feel very lucky to have been as unscathed as I've been so far in life in this respect.
Old 12-08-2009, 12:02 PM   #14
JediKooter
Coordinator

Physical: Tearing my ACL and just about all the other ligaments in my knee while playing basketball. We were playing full court, 5 on 5 and my team got the ball and it was me, a team mate and another player from the other team going towards our hoop. My team mate had the ball and passed it to me behind the guy from the other team. The guy from the other team got in front of me so I decided to do a cross step to my left to get around him. As soon as my right foot hit the court, my ankle gave out, bending to the right, well my momentum of my body kept going left and my knee just exploded. Sounded like someone was cracking their knuckles when my ligaments ripped. The other pain that I have had, that actually made my throw up because it hurt so bad was a kidney stone. I don't recommend those at all.

Emotional: My wife leaving me this summer before my birthday. It's something I'll probably never understand, especially after I treated her like a queen and her girls like they were my own. I don't even get visitation rights to see them.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4

Last edited by JediKooter : 12-08-2009 at 12:02 PM.
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 12:41 PM   #15
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

This thread doesn't count until tk gets out her spreadsheet of broken things for the physical portion of these proceedings

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 01:14 PM   #16
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Physical - Got jumped at a party, someone clubbed the side of my head with a bat. That didn't hurt too bad, the nurse stapled my head shut without any pain reliever, that sucked.

I get migraines, those have been worse than anything else I've faced or endured.

Mental - My crazy ex and her cheating ways which I would have been fine recovering from save for the fact that I'm always at the mercy of her when it comes to seeing my daughter. Every time I think I got the emotions in control, I get ripped up by something else and the stress is bad. Nothing sadder though than seeing your kid off in a plane by herself (with a flight attendent escort), it takes days for me to face and days for me to recover from it, and all the while I gotta keep the emotions in check till I can't see her anymore walking down the concourse tunnel, then I let the tears roll. It's made me tougher, but I cannot wait for the day I don't have to suffer from it.
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 01:22 PM   #17
Izulde
Head Coach

Physical: When I got my teeth whitened with that Zoom treatment. Imagine when even breathing sends such pain through your teeth that you can't even move and eating is of course, impossible because anything involving your teeth hurts. Easily the worst 48 hours of my life and I'll never do it again or recommend it for anyone. They tell you that you may get occasional zingers, but these were constant and so were the zaps of pain.

A distant second (that's how much the first hurt) would be when I screwed up my back so bad I couldn't move without it spasming like mad. I even had a cortisone injection that I had to sign an authorization form for but that didn't work either. It wasn't until I went to a chiropractor that it got straightened out (pun only somewhat intended)

Emotional: A toss-up between the first breakup I ever had and the last one. The first one, I was 19 and she was my first ever girlfriend. I didn't date at all in high school and not for lack of trying and while I'd had a date that went really well with a girl my first year of college, I'd blown her off. So this was my first experience with requited love and the breakup was as devastating as the hookup was blissful. I cried for about three months whenever I saw something that reminded me of her and my summer was totally ruined. I didn't think anybody would ever love me again.

Last one, I'm 24 and I'm with a girl who is my dream girl in every sense of the word; hot, smart, a cheerleader, a model, interested in the same things I am, with my sense of humor, ambitious, charismatic, sexual, etc. Total perfection. I really thought this was it, especially since the time she was in my life coincided with the period where I was finally conquering all my previous failures and becoming the person I had the potential to be. So when she broke up with me, the bottom dropped out.... and for a good year after that, we went through the whole possible that someday we'll be back together/possibly not scenario until she got fed up with my clinginess and possessiveness and just stopped talking to me all together.

So five years ago by and I'm over it... then I find out from her brother that she's got a full ride to Cambridge in England for graduate school. And the pain hits all over again, because here she is, going to one of the top schools in the world and here I am at this public university with a good, but not great reputation. Her ambition succeeded where mine failed and she had me cut out of her life entirely, refused my Facebook friend requests, etc. It was a nasty double-shot, compounded by the fact that the others of our friends who were there in the chat room started gushing about her, saying oh how they always knew she was so smart and wonderful and I'm like "I'm on a full ride for graduate school too!" and they just ignored it and kept talking about her. I finally ended up logging off and I spent the next week feeling like complete shit about myself.

I suppose in some ways I'm still not over her, because no girl I've met since then has even come within a light year of her and while I've dated a couple girls since then, none of them have turned into a real relationship and I haven't been bothered by that.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 01:35 PM   #18
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
Physical: When I got my teeth whitened with that Zoom treatment. Imagine when even breathing sends such pain through your teeth that you can't even move and eating is of course, impossible because anything involving your teeth hurts. Easily the worst 48 hours of my life and I'll never do it again or recommend it for anyone. They tell you that you may get occasional zingers, but these were constant and so were the zaps of pain.

A distant second (that's how much the first hurt) would be when I screwed up my back so bad I couldn't move without it spasming like mad. I even had a cortisone injection that I had to sign an authorization form for but that didn't work either. It wasn't until I went to a chiropractor that it got straightened out (pun only somewhat intended)

Emotional: A toss-up between the first breakup I ever had and the last one. The first one, I was 19 and she was my first ever girlfriend. I didn't date at all in high school and not for lack of trying and while I'd had a date that went really well with a girl my first year of college, I'd blown her off. So this was my first experience with requited love and the breakup was as devastating as the hookup was blissful. I cried for about three months whenever I saw something that reminded me of her and my summer was totally ruined. I didn't think anybody would ever love me again.

Last one, I'm 24 and I'm with a girl who is my dream girl in every sense of the word; hot, smart, a cheerleader, a model, interested in the same things I am, with my sense of humor, ambitious, charismatic, sexual, etc. Total perfection. I really thought this was it, especially since the time she was in my life coincided with the period where I was finally conquering all my previous failures and becoming the person I had the potential to be. So when she broke up with me, the bottom dropped out.... and for a good year after that, we went through the whole possible that someday we'll be back together/possibly not scenario until she got fed up with my clinginess and possessiveness and just stopped talking to me all together.

So five years ago by and I'm over it... then I find out from her brother that she's got a full ride to Cambridge in England for graduate school. And the pain hits all over again, because here she is, going to one of the top schools in the world and here I am at this public university with a good, but not great reputation. Her ambition succeeded where mine failed and she had me cut out of her life entirely, refused my Facebook friend requests, etc. It was a nasty double-shot, compounded by the fact that the others of our friends who were there in the chat room started gushing about her, saying oh how they always knew she was so smart and wonderful and I'm like "I'm on a full ride for graduate school too!" and they just ignored it and kept talking about her. I finally ended up logging off and I spent the next week feeling like complete shit about myself.

I suppose in some ways I'm still not over her, because no girl I've met since then has even come within a light year of her and while I've dated a couple girls since then, none of them have turned into a real relationship and I haven't been bothered by that.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 02:03 PM   #19
sabotai
General Manager

Physical: I dunno. A few things hurt pretty bad, but nothing "OMFG!!!" that lasted a long time. I had a nerve die in one of my teeth. Whenever that got touched, it hurt like hell, but it went away quickly (until it got touched again). I had a hole in a molar when I was a kid. Drank a nice glass of cold water without knowing it was there...

I also nearly completely ripped off a chunk of skin on my hand. It's about a square inch in size. That thing bled like a faucet was turned on. Have a really cool scare to show for it.

Emotional: Again, I dunno. Can't say I've experienced anything on the level that's been described here. When my first serious girlfriend broke up with me the first time after 2 1/2 years....(got back together, broke up again a few times)...it wasn't really "pain". I was more lost, disoriented, couldn't hold a thought together. But that lasted about a week, and then I got on with my life. Nothing emotional has really hurt me for months or a year.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 03:08 PM   #20
RainMaker
General Manager

Reading through some of these I feel lucky to have not had to go through some of the pain some of you have. Almost feels petty to whine about a breakup while reading about the loss of loved ones. I know that if something were to happen to my Mom, I would be destroyed.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 03:23 PM   #21
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Physical: My 4th concussion in 15 months. Left me unable to do literally anything for nearly two weeks.

Emotional: Reading your whining right now.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 04:48 PM   #22
lungs
Pro Rookie

Physical: First one probably is kind of questionable because I was so drunk it didn't really hurt but if I would've been sober it would've hurt like hell. Actually it never would've happened.

Anyway, camping with friends when I was 18 we got done grilling and they dumped the hot coals out and my drunk ass fell over face first into them.

Next one was probably trying to hand start a motor to a silo unloader on the farm. I cranked the wheel but caught my finger in there and my finger went through the belt. Lucky to still have my finger but my fuck that probably hurt more than anything even though all it was was the tip of my finger.

Lastly, a few years ago I got cold clobbered in the kneecap by a cow. I've been kicked plenty by cows but when it's unexpected and it gets bone, it hurts like hell. Went to the ER, didn't break anything. They loaded me up with a month's worth of vicodin when I really only needed it for a day or two. And they wonder why people abuse prescription drugs.

Emotional: I dunno? I have some issues with drugs that will crop up from time to time that I always feel like shit after using. No, I'm not talking about weed, either.
lungs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 05:11 PM   #23
saldana
Pro Starter

physical - when i was 17 and a senior in HS, was playing midfield in the 6th soccer game of the season when we turned the ball over near the midfield line...as the other team quickly countered, i gave chase to try to mark up on an open striker just outside the top of the box and got there just as the ball came to him and he was about to take a full volley shot...

i tried to get my left calf around in front of the ball to block the shot but i knocked the ball away with the bottom of my spikes and the guy followed through into my calf muscle full force...i tried to get up and couldnt walk, they had to carry me off the field and i went to the hospital for x-rays...pictures came up negative and they told me i had a deep muscle bruise and i should be on crutches for a week and could play soccer in two....

that translated to me that i could play soccer in a week, so as soon as i could tolerate the pain, i started running to stay fit (it was only a bruise after all, what more injury could i cause)...exactly one week after the shot to the leg, i was bounding up a set of stairs 2 at a time when i heard a POP and collapsed to the ground...

i managed to walk into the building i was going into and slumped into a chair on the verge of unconsiousness and vomiting...i was literally in so much pain i was blacking out...went straight to the orthopedist this time who xrayed my leg again...my fibula was in more than 30 pieces...there had apparently been a hairline fracture that didnt show up on the first film and as i kept putting pressure on it during the week, it expanded until it shattered like a glass rod..

the calcium deposit was so big that you could actually see it from the outside of my leg and took about 15 years before you couldnt feel it anymore...only time in my life i have actually been in enough pain to be in tears.

edit to add: already knowing some of the emotional stories from people on the board and also seeing some of the ones above me, i have nothing that can even compare, and wont even try out of respect.

Last edited by saldana : 12-08-2009 at 05:16 PM.
saldana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 04:06 AM   #24
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post

Emotional: I dunno? I have some issues with drugs that will crop up from time to time that I always feel like shit after using. No, I'm not talking about weed, either.

If you're talking about painting the foil with the flame, or twisting the glass...then salut. I did it for a year or so every night, and then dropped it completely somehow. If you're talking about something else, then disregard this completely.

I just read all these posts right now...Very interesting reads. Like one or two have said before me, I read these and feel very lucky. You all are fucking troopers and I'm impressed by the strength it would seemingly require to come to terms with these things, both physical and emotional.

My next drink is in honor of all of you. Cheers.
Old 12-09-2009, 05:19 AM   #25
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Physical: After an operation that required epidural anesthesia, I developed a Post-Dural Puncture Headache. It lasted for two weeks. I couldn't raise my head 2 inches above horizontal position without feeling like my entire head was going to explode.

Emotional: No pain from relationships, but from loss: I had received word that two of my friends, one of them a long-time childhood friend, had died via a car crash when their car hit a steel barrier. I felt my stomach drop when I heard the news. Attending those funerals made me feel the worst I'd ever felt in my life. I still miss them to this day.
Old 12-09-2009, 06:01 AM   #26
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post
If you're talking about painting the foil with the flame, or twisting the glass...then salut. I did it for a year or so every night, and then dropped it completely somehow. If you're talking about something else, then disregard this completely.

Mainly blow.
lungs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 08:42 AM   #27
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Physical: Geez, guess I got most everyone else's bad luck. 9 broken bone incidents. And over 12 surgeries (depening on how you count them) and 1 uhhhh wow(keep reading)....in terms of physical felt pain though
1) Dislocating me knee and simultaneously tearing 5 ligaments. Happened my soph year of college on the practice field, playing OG I was engaged in a block, cleats dug in (I was getting beat backwards and trying to maintain position) we were running a tackle power to my side SS blitzes and hits the rb in a spinnig twisting motion that sends both flying into the side of my leg. The outside of my cleat left a bad bruise on the upper part of the outside of my thigh...
1A) The aforementioned uhhhhh moment. I was around 8, we were living in this crappy single wide, and my mother was going through some crap in the floor of my room. It was summer we had no AC and she asked me to open the window for her, this trailer had these super heavy windows (at least for an 8-9 year old) and no finger lip, so you had to press in on the glass and up to raise the window and then kinda slide your hands under the glass, when it got to the top it locked into position the remainder of the range of motion it was not supported at all. So the window slips out of my hands and comes crashing down...well lets just say the window sill was about "junk" high and yeah, the window fell on a very sensitive body part. It was liked 2 days before I finally was able to pee again.

Emotional: Probably having my best friend die at 27 from cancer and then being asked to give his eulogy. Fun Times. But it did actually serve as a cleansing experience actually talking in front of the church, didnt ease the pain, and I still miss him daily (fuck cancer BTW) but it gave me a chore to focus on.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 10:52 AM   #28
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Reading through some of these I feel lucky to have not had to go through some of the pain some of you have. Almost feels petty to whine about a breakup while reading about the loss of loved ones. I know that if something were to happen to my Mom, I would be destroyed.

This.

Not to minimize anyone's feelings, but those of you whose worst emotional pain is some girl dumping you than consider yourself lucky you haven't had to suffer the loss of someone close to you.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote