Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-28-2009, 04:20 PM   #1
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Unhappy Need PC Help

So I've been having some issues lately, but they really took a dive recently. I've been goofing around with an online beta-test, but the program is pretty buggy. After it locked up for the fifth time today, I performed a hard restart on my machine by holding the power button down - now it won't load windows at all. Putting my Vista disk in the drive (SP1, 64-bit), I get to a "Select the language to install Windows in:" screen as if the computer doesn't have an OS installed.

Will "reinstalling" hurt my computer in any way? I'm not sure what brought this on, but I can't get the machine to boot except to this install screen. I'm not out much if I have to do a full reinstall (other than time), but there are a few documents I wouldn't be able to recover that I'd rather save if possible.

Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 04:26 PM   #2
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
So I've been having some issues lately, but they really took a dive recently. I've been goofing around with an online beta-test, but the program is pretty buggy. After it locked up for the fifth time today, I performed a hard restart on my machine by holding the power button down - now it won't load windows at all. Putting my Vista disk in the drive (SP1, 64-bit), I get to a "Select the language to install Windows in:" screen as if the computer doesn't have an OS installed.

Will "reinstalling" hurt my computer in any way? I'm not sure what brought this on, but I can't get the machine to boot except to this install screen. I'm not out much if I have to do a full reinstall (other than time), but there are a few documents I wouldn't be able to recover that I'd rather save if possible.

Your windows install is corrupted. You're going to have to do a reformat. If you have Vista or Windows 7 pretty much everything gets saved to a windows.old folder that you can access by going to your C drive. So no loss of files or documents.

Outside of that, reformating every 6 months or so is good for your system and keeps things running smoother so that you don't run into situations like the one you experienced.

Btw, hard restarts are usually what leads to corrupted windows installs. They're necessary sometimes, but if you find yourself doing them repeatedly because a program keeps locking up you're going to end up doing a reformat sooner or later.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 04:31 PM   #3
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Your windows install is corrupted. You're going to have to do a reformat. If you have Vista or Windows 7 pretty much everything gets saved to a windows.old folder that you can access by going to your C drive. So no loss of files or documents.

Outside of that, reformating every 6 months or so is good for your system and keeps things running smoother so that you don't run into situations like the one you experienced.

Btw, hard restarts are usually what leads to corrupted windows installs. They're necessary sometimes, but if you find yourself doing them repeatedly because a program keeps locking up you're going to end up doing a reformat sooner or later.

windows.old - really? that's pretty awesome.

my next laptop will be a windows 7 machine when i get it for my self xmas present
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 05:43 PM   #4
weegeebored
High School Varsity

You might want to try a repair instead of a reinstall just to save time. Here's a link: How to automatically repair Windows Vista using Startup Repair

You probably do need a complete reinstall but the repair could work for you.
weegeebored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 09:45 PM   #5
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Awesome, thanks for the input. Should I just follow the prompt and install from here? Or should I reboot and reformat from a safe mode/dos-prompt?

Also, do I need to do anything to save to this windows.old folder? Or will it automatically be there after I reformat?
Old 11-28-2009, 09:47 PM   #6
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Awesome, thanks for the input. Should I just follow the prompt and install from here? Or should I reboot and reformat from a safe mode/dos-prompt?

Also, do I need to do anything to save to this windows.old folder? Or will it automatically be there after I reformat?

Just have the disk in when you boot and follow the prompt.

The windows.old folder will be made automatically. Reformatting with Vista/Windows 7 is actually rather painless.
Old 11-28-2009, 09:59 PM   #7
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Thanks a ton Atocep.
Old 11-29-2009, 01:35 PM   #8
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

So this is odd - after formatting, I'm currently reinstalling Windows from a legit Windows Vista CD. I'm getting the following error message:

"Windows cannot install required files. The file may be corrupted or missing. Make sure all files required for installation are available, and restart the installation. Error code: 0x80070570"

Should I contact Microsoft Support? Or can you bail me out again Atocep?
Old 11-29-2009, 01:49 PM   #9
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
So this is odd - after formatting, I'm currently reinstalling Windows from a legit Windows Vista CD. I'm getting the following error message:

"Windows cannot install required files. The file may be corrupted or missing. Make sure all files required for installation are available, and restart the installation. Error code: 0x80070570"

Should I contact Microsoft Support? Or can you bail me out again Atocep?

Are you able to burn a new copy of the windows installation disk? It's a strange error to get on a legit copy, but the first thing I'd do is try burning it to another disk and then using that one to install windows.
Old 11-29-2009, 02:39 PM   #10
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

I'll have to go somewhere else, but I'll give it a shot.
Old 11-29-2009, 06:06 PM   #11
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Tried it one more time, got a different error now:

"Windows cannot access the installation sources. Verify that the installation sources are accessible, and restart the installation."

I should be able to burn a copy of my Windows disk tomorrow, so I'll try that next.
Old 12-17-2009, 06:36 PM   #12
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Update/Rant:

After three weeks of being insanely busy, multiple failed attempts at Microsoft Customer Service and half my monthly cell phone bill's worth of minutes spent on hold, I've determined the problem and my three possible outcomes.

Problem: Windows DVD-Rom is hosed and defective. This is a known and semi-common problem.

Solution: Pay Microsoft $30 to ship me a replacement DVD.
Solution: Pay Microsoft Tech Support $59.99 to resolve the issue over the phone. Benefit being that they won't charge me until the ticket is closed.

Am I right to be horribly frustrated with Microsoft for this? I have defective material, through no fault of my own, and it's going to cost ME money to replace it. Bah.

For full disclosure, I bought it originally from NewEgg.com and they only have a 30-day return policy.

Last edited by Vince, Pt. II : 12-17-2009 at 06:37 PM.
Old 12-17-2009, 06:46 PM   #13
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Solution: Borrow DVD from a friend, burn a copy. Your key is the important part, not the actual physical media.
Old 12-17-2009, 07:54 PM   #14
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

You are a smart man. Irritation is clouding my judgement. I'll have to find a friend who runs Vista 64-bit.