Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-09-2003, 08:59 AM   #1
Bee
Pro Starter

What will we find in Baghdad?

So do you think we'll find any information concerning illegal arms sales from France and Russia?

I got a funny feeling we might. I can't imagine the Iraqi leadership destroying things like that when the fled...

Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 09:05 AM   #2
Alf
Pro Starter

You'll find a picture of Georges Bush shaking hands with Saddam while the US help Saddam fight Iran.
Old 04-09-2003, 09:08 AM   #3
Radii
Head Coach

It wouldn't suprise me. Why would Saddam care about protecting their asses when he's on his way out.

Question: Do we know for a fact they've sold arms illegally to Iraq or do we just suspect it? (That's a legitimate question b/c I don't know the answer and figure you guys can answer faster than I can google it, not a loaded question at all).
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 09:09 AM   #4
Bee
Pro Starter

Alf, I guess I'll chalk you up to No.
Old 04-09-2003, 09:11 AM   #5
Radii
Head Coach

dola. That too Alf. While we're at it, I want the one of Rumsfeld getting a hummer from one of Saddam's womenfolk. Well, ok, I don't want to SEE it, but I want to hear about it.

We'll also find a lot of US hi-tech stuff and it'll take months to figure out if US Corps sold stuff to Iraq intentionally or whether it got there via a 3rd party(there are companies in China that US companies sold stuff to that is banned from sale to Iraq, and we later found that the China corps were working with Iraq to sell them US stuff, this is gonna be messy eh?)
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 09:12 AM   #6
Alf
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Bee
Alf, I guess I'll chalk you up to No.

The US has already found French weapons in some WareHouse : it was dated 1979 !!! Talk about outdated weapons !
Old 04-09-2003, 09:12 AM   #7
Bee
Pro Starter

Radii,

I don't think there is any definite proof, but it is highly suspected. I know we've accused Russia of it very recently. There have also been "suggestions" about France.

We've also found "modern" weapons that could have come from either country in the field (post 1991 weapons which weren't around before the sanctions). I'm sure that will be investigated as well.

I have a feeling even if we find information it will be used to pressure governments behind the scenes instead of made public. JMO though.
Old 04-09-2003, 09:12 AM   #8
scooper
College Benchwarmer

Not to mentioned burned out Mirage jet fighters that never made it off the runway.

I just love the argument that the US armed Iraq so what we are doing now is wrong. I guess the US was wrong to send arms and aid to the Soviets during WWII as well. The fact is, at the time Iraq was the lesser of two evils. Two wrongs make a right? No. But we're cleaning up that mess right now. I read that US military sales to Iraq made up about 1% of Iraq's arms purchases. None of that included weapons of mass destruction. It's interesting, considering you argument that we don't see the Republican Guard toting M-16's and driving Abrams tanks.
scooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 09:14 AM   #9
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Alf
The US has already found French weapons in some WareHouse : it was dated 1979 !!! Talk about outdated weapons !

True. They have also found weapons from post 1991, but haven't figured out where they come from.

I have no idea if France was involved (I hope not).
Old 04-09-2003, 09:18 AM   #10
Alf
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Bee
True. They have also found weapons from post 1991, but haven't figured out where they come from.

I have no idea if France was involved (I hope not).

I hope not too, but there is nothing that can guarantee that... Remember how I said "Thief, Liar & Burglar" on my comments about President Chirac. His position against the war is the first time EVER I agree with him.
Old 04-09-2003, 09:20 AM   #11
Alf
Pro Starter

dola : easy way to determine if the eapons come from France is that we usually write text in French on the weapons. You know, that strange language that some guys on the north-west border of USA speak sometimes
Old 04-09-2003, 09:20 AM   #12
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Alf
I hope not too, but there is nothing that can guarantee that... Remember how I said "Thief, Liar & Burglar" on my comments about President Chirac. His position against the war is the first time EVER I agree with him.

Sadly in the last election I think the French had a worse choice than the Americans (if that's possible ).
Old 04-09-2003, 09:21 AM   #13
BreizhManu
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by Alf
His position against the war is the first time EVER I agree with him.

same here, and probably not for the same reasons as him

edited : don't know why I wanted to put here in capital letters

Last edited by BreizhManu : 04-09-2003 at 09:22 AM.
BreizhManu is offline   Reply With Quote