Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-09-2003, 06:32 AM   #1
condors
College Starter

cm4-my biggest complaint

i have been ignoring my body's need for sleep to play as much as i can(4 seasons in my gravesend dynasty) as well as a game with columbus crew and southampton, All told i have played over 10 seasons since i got it. What that means is i love the game i am spending as much free time as i can make playing it. That being said...

I "tinker" my tactics alot every game as a matter of fact, i feel its my job if i am winning at halftime i adjust defensivly if i am losing i get more players forward to try to get back into the game, So far i have tried ALOT of different things when my team simply can't get possession or when they do they do nothing with it, There are a few teams i know before i play them (barnet,chester and doncaster) that i am going to be outshot, outpossessed and most likely beaten. The only thing i have done that had mild success was to basically play for a 0-0 draw although they normally get a few chances and if they bury one of them i have to change up as have 8 players playing in front of the keeper using a long ball to my one man attack although sometimes you can steal a game i have beaten a first division squad in the fa cup twice doing this, but anyways when i line up with my normal formation and my oppenent does the same wheni am getting severly outplayed i watch the game on 2d and its just the other team making pass after pass when we get the ball we almost always give it right back with our first touch or we "clear" the ball to the other team

I am hoping some other players have had similar problems and if playing 5 defenders and 3 defensive midfielders isn't what you do when getting outplayed what have you had some success with?

hopefully this thread could turn into a nice tactic talk for cm4

condors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 06:45 AM   #2
Bee
Pro Starter

From what I gather strikers are "over-emphasized" in this version, so a strong front is very important. I've had a great deal of success when both of my two star forwards are healthy. At one point they both went out for a few games and it just about ruined my season.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 07:08 AM   #3
condors
College Starter

anyone try a tactic with 3 forwards?

makes a mental note to try a 4-3-3 in a bunch of friendlies
condors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 07:10 AM   #4
Bee
Pro Starter

BTW, I'm playing the 4-1-3-2.
Old 04-09-2003, 07:15 AM   #5
QuikSand
lolzcat

I'm starting to feel like waiting this one out will serve me well. I'm crushed that they inexplicably deleted the ability to print from the game, and hearing about the supposed striker imbalance makes me feel like I might just wait until this game is actually ready to go before I commit to playing it seriously.

I really don't plan to play CM4 over and over... my goal is just to start one career, and play it out until I exhaust myself of the game. With a game this immersive (or potentially so), I don't really relish the thought of learning a whole new universe of players time and time again.

So, maybe I ought to wait until after a couple more patches before I start investing myself into this game.

Last edited by QuikSand : 04-09-2003 at 07:20 AM.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 07:15 AM   #6
Easy Mac

I'm playing a 3-1-3-1-2, with Stoichkov as an AM/ withdrawn forward.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 07:32 AM   #7
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by QuikSand
I'm starting to feel like waiting this one out will serve me well. I'm crushed that they inexplicably deleted the ability to print from the game, and hearing about the supposed striker imbalance makes me feel like I might just wait until this game is actually ready to go before I commit to playing it seriously.

I really don't plan to play CM4 over and over... my goal is just to start one career, and play it out until I exhaust myself of the game. With a game this immersive (or potentially so), I don't really relish the thought of learning a whole new universe of players time and time again.

So, maybe I ought to wait until after a couple more patches before I start investing myself into this game.

After a season and a half, I'd suggest waiting.

What I find interesting is the type of problems with this game. Not having a print feature seems like something that would be left out of a first generation product, not something that's been around for as long as CM. The scoring balance issue also seems like something that would crop up in a first version of a game not after several versions. I thought previous versons were very well balanced, I'm not sure why they'd make any changes in that part of the game myself.
Old 04-09-2003, 07:43 AM   #8
moriarty
College Starter

Marc did say in another thread that they ran out of time to add back in the print capability, but he'd try and get it in soon.

I think that the game also reflects significant changes to the match engine, that's IMO why it seems more like it has new game issues (versus a polished update). And as I'm slowly learning after FOF, TDCB, etc... it's probably always better to wait out a few patches.

For now, I'm just playing through one season in several different leagues ... trying to get a feel for where I want to start a career once the major issues are fixed.
moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 07:48 AM   #9
Bee
Pro Starter

Dola:

I don't want to threadjack...but I'm going to anyway.

I wonder if anyone else has noticed this.

I'm playing Barnet in the English Divisions, and when I see a free transfer who would be a big improvement over what I have I'll try to sign them. Almost every time I make my contract offer, there's a rush of other teams who make offers to my guy as well. Does this happen IRL? I mean, surely the other teams knows these guys are out there...why wait until I try to sign them to make their offers? It's starting to get annoying. I was trying to bring in a central defender last night and found 4 possibilities. They've been sitting out there all season and as soon as I bid on each of them, other teams swoop in and sign them out from under me by offering more money or a chance to play at a bigger club.
Old 04-09-2003, 07:55 AM   #10
BreizhManu
College Benchwarmer

yeah I've noticed it too, but that could be realistic if it didn't happen all the time : teams that are watching that guy but don't really need him but as soon as someone makes and offer, they try to get him too
BreizhManu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 07:58 AM   #11
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
And as I'm slowly learning after FOF, TDCB, etc... it's probably always better to wait out a few patches.

This has become standard practice for me since FOF4 and it's unfortunate.

Todd
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 08:43 AM   #12
Calis
College Starter

Yeah, I'd actually also chime in and say wait, not to bash the game at all, I still love it...there's just certain things that really take away for me at least the constant desire to play, I haven't been overtaken by this version, which is a first for me...I still play it, just off and on, and I don't find myself losing sleep over it.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 08:47 AM   #13
Bee
Pro Starter

Well for me, despite the problems I'm still playing it every chance I get. There are just too many good things that outweigh the problems for me. Of course, I don't follow soccer at all so many of the issues concerning realism or accuracy I probably don't even notice.
Old 04-09-2003, 08:56 AM   #14
Havok
College Starter

Quote:
Yeah, I'd actually also chime in and say wait, not to bash the game at all, I still love it...there's just certain things that really take away for me at least the constant desire to play, I haven't been overtaken by this version, which is a first for me...I still play it, just off and on, and I don't find myself losing sleep over it.

I feel the same exact way. I like it and i play it but its not keeping me up nights or anything. Maybe after the next patch it will
Old 04-09-2003, 03:38 PM   #15
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally posted by Bee
What I find interesting is the type of problems with this game. Not having a print feature seems like something that would be left out of a first generation product, not something that's been around for as long as CM. The scoring balance issue also seems like something that would crop up in a first version of a game not after several versions. I thought previous versons were very well balanced, I'm not sure why they'd make any changes in that part of the game myself.

This (as I've mentioned elsewhere) was left out unfortunately because of time constraints with creating the game.

Please bear in mind that CM4 is a total rewrite and isn't simply an enhancement of the CM3 engine, because of this everything has been built from the ground up.

This has many advantages and will mean the game is much more enhancable for future updates (as some of the restrictions in the CM3 engine were getting to be a bit of a stangehold on development) - however it does mean unfortunately that some of the features from CM3 haven't made it into CM4 yet.

I will obviously be looking to restore any missing features from CM3 into CM4 in future updates.

Sorry for any inconvenience,

Marc
PS. I'm hoping to get a 'dump screen to file' feature into one of the CM4 patches which should help people who are looking into printing out details of their squad etc.
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 03:43 PM   #16
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally posted by Bee
Dola:
I'm playing Barnet in the English Divisions, and when I see a free transfer who would be a big improvement over what I have I'll try to sign them. Almost every time I make my contract offer, there's a rush of other teams who make offers to my guy as well. Does this happen IRL?

This does often happen irl in football, its most common in two circumstances:

(1) Player is a hot prospect from the lower league (normally a young player with potential) - larger clubs will watch such players continually but be reluctant to take a risk on an unproven player, HOWEVER if one of their rivals moves for the player then they often feel compelled to get in 'first'.
An example of this is Bobby Zamora at Brighton currently, he's being continually watched by larger teams however apart from a flurry of activity towards the end of last season when Brighton turned down offers from 3 Premiership clubs they haven't done anything apart from watch. All 3 offers came within a month or so of the first offer.
(2) Player is a big name player, in such circumstances teams don't normally bother making an offer unless they believe it'll be accepted - hence if one team makes an offer and its publicly accepted then other interested clubs will follow.
Teams are often reluctant to make the initial offer because getting knocked back on such transfers repeatedly can be 'embarressing' to a club.

PS. Despite this, I do actually agree that clubs in CM4 were a little backward in making offers in the original CM4 release and this has been tuned somewhat for patch #3 which will be out at the end of this month.

Last edited by Marc Vaughan : 04-09-2003 at 03:45 PM.
Old 04-09-2003, 03:44 PM   #17
Bee
Pro Starter

The dump screen to file would be very nice.

Any chance that the scoring issues get tweaked in one of the next two patches?
Old 04-09-2003, 03:47 PM   #18
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

"scoring issues"
Fingers crossed, I think we've got that sorted for patch #3 - however until we've finished testing I'd hesitate to say for sure ...
Old 04-09-2003, 03:51 PM   #19
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Marc Vaughan
This does often happen irl in football

Thanks for the info. I had no idea if it happened or not. I just know it was getting annoying.