Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-10-2009, 11:20 PM   #1
BishopMVP
Coordinator

NFL Week 10 discussion

Bears@49ers gives us the 2nd Thursday night NFL game of the year, and an opening for people to complain who (still) don't get NFL network. Cincinnati@Pittsburgh is the pick of the 1pm games, and gives Cincy an effective 2-game division lead if they win. Dallas@GB is a nice 4pm game, with Philly@SD providing a nice side game in the leadup to the Pats@Indy Sunday night that is going to get the hype. Somehow Cleveland gets to host Baltimore in a lackluster Monday Night game, but it sounds like now that Brady Quinn can't reach his contract escalator clauses he'll finally start over Anderson.

The other reason I wanted to start the thread was to place a link to this website - ProFootballFocus.com - Home . Saw a link to it on FO, and while they're behind a couple weeks and I'm sure we'd argue their methodology, it's interesting to see players rated on every play. For the Patriots, Moss/Mayo's (average) and Adalius Thomas's (poor) numbers jump out at me, but I'm guessing Moss doesn't get enough credit for opening up other guys by having safeties roll over his side every play, and Mayo is coming back from injury. No idea on Thomas. It matches up with a lot of other thoughts I've had from watching - Joey Galloway being terrible, Darius Butler, and to a lesser extent Patrick Chung, looking good as rookies and combining with the addition of Leigh Bodden to solidify the secondary. Gostkowski being one of the league's best at kickoffs, etc. Again, I haven't even looked for their methodology, but it's probably the most interesting (free) link I've come across since finding FO a few years back.

BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 11:37 PM   #2
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

You should probably rename the thread to the "Colts/Patriots Week Extravaganza Thread"..

However I do love that there are apparently rumors as that Mangini is hiding which QB will start...again.
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 10:18 AM   #3
whomario
Pro Starter

Quinn starts, just when itīs nearly impossible to hit the 70% mark on the year (although iīm no expert here, just read that in some reports) : http://www.cleveland.com/browns/inde...y_quinn_w.html

Magini Interview though to be fair :

Q&A: Under fire, Mangini opens up about Browns, Quinn, Belichick - NFL - CBSSports.com Football
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 10:50 AM   #4
Travis
Pro Rookie

Seattle/Arizona to decide if the NFC West will still be an attainable goal for the Seahawks. A win puts them a game back of the Cards, a loss and they're staring a 3 game hole in the face with just 7 to go.

Yeah, I'm crossing my fingers, but if the Seahawks can win this week I can't help but feel like they'll be taking a very big step towards getting the confidence necessary to pull together and make a legit run at the division title (and yes I know, weak division, etc, etc, but that's what they're dealing with right now).
Old 11-11-2009, 10:56 AM   #5
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

I love Pats/Colts games. Seems like the media portrays the Pats as having a rival with damn near every team in the league. It's all BS, except for the Colts games. As good as it gets.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 11:02 AM   #6
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061 View Post
I love Pats/Colts games. Seems like the media portrays the Pats as having a rival with damn near every team in the league. It's all BS, except for the Colts games. As good as it gets.

I too love these games.

I am pretty sure the Pats don't have a rivalry with the Lions. No one really does.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 11:11 AM   #7
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Is there still talk in Cleveland about getting fans to show up late for the game so it's empty during the MNF pre-game hooplah, as a means of protest?
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 11:43 AM   #8
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
Quinn starts, just when itīs nearly impossible to hit the 70% mark on the year

Good luck throwing those clauses in any future contracts Cleveland.
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 11:54 AM   #9
spleen1015
Coordinator

I wonder how the Pats do against the Colts now that all of their star defensive players are outta there.
Old 11-11-2009, 12:23 PM   #10
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

"Star" just mean old. Their defense is better this year than the past couple.

Old 11-11-2009, 12:33 PM   #11
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
I wonder how the Pats do against the Colts now that all of their star defensive players are outta there.

Well the real stars of the Colts defense are Freeney and Mathis.

Last edited by Greyroofoo : 11-11-2009 at 12:34 PM.
Old 11-11-2009, 12:35 PM   #12
spleen1015
Coordinator

I mean the Patriots defense guys.
Old 11-11-2009, 12:38 PM   #13
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

haha - funny question - you can answer it from both sides!
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 12:41 PM   #14
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
haha - funny question - you can answer it from both sides!

Yeah, I didn't word that very well.
Old 11-11-2009, 12:43 PM   #15
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

I meant the Patriots defense as well. It's been years since it was a strength with them. Something people bemoaning the loss of their aging "stars" forget for whatever reason.

They hands down got better everywhere except Seymour, and while they don't have a singular talent to replace him they are loaded with depth. While in the end they got younger so they hopefully won't get gassed come playoffs like they had been lately.

I mean their defense still isn't scary, but it's a significant step up over that last couple seasons. And has a much higher upside than it did a year ago.

Old 11-11-2009, 01:47 PM   #16
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
I meant the Patriots defense as well. It's been years since it was a strength with them. Something people bemoaning the loss of their aging "stars" forget for whatever reason.

They hands down got better everywhere except Seymour, and while they don't have a singular talent to replace him they are loaded with depth. While in the end they got younger so they hopefully won't get gassed come playoffs like they had been lately.

I mean their defense still isn't scary, but it's a significant step up over that last couple seasons. And has a much higher upside than it did a year ago.

So, two years ago, in the 16-0 season, when they were top 4 in the league in yardage and scoring defense, that was not a strength?

Or by "in years" did you mean last year alone?
Old 11-11-2009, 01:49 PM   #17
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Not to hard when you are forced into a pass every down situation by the second quarter. Read the stats all you want. I've watched every game.

The only player they lost over the last several seasons that has hurt them is Asante.

Last edited by jeff061 : 11-11-2009 at 01:49 PM.
Old 11-11-2009, 01:56 PM   #18
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
I've watched every game

And you think the Pats defense was not a strength in 2007? You really could not be more wrong.

I am curious exactly what you thought the defense was poor at. They were good at keeping the other team from gaining yards and scoring points, but other than that they sucked.
Old 11-11-2009, 01:58 PM   #19
Bearcat729
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataKing View Post
Is there still talk in Cleveland about getting fans to show up late for the game so it's empty during the MNF pre-game hooplah, as a means of protest?

I think since Lerner met with the two fans the talk has quieted down a bit.
Old 11-11-2009, 02:13 PM   #20
Daimyo
College Starter

I'm really surprised the Colts are favored. I'm a Colts fan, but they're just too beat up right now and the Pats have been playing better for several weeks.
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 02:16 PM   #21
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Dude, if you think their 07 defense was anywhere near as good as the 5 years previous to it, I'm just done arguing.

2007 was dominated by offense, not good or great but legendary offense. It won their games and certainly made their defensive stats look better. Opposing teams were put in tough situations and forced to drop back and pass every play before half time damn near every game. By the time the second half rolled around most of them had given up.

07 they were old, 08 they were older.

Last edited by jeff061 : 11-11-2009 at 02:17 PM.
Old 11-11-2009, 02:19 PM   #22
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Dude, if you think their 07 defense was anywhere near as good as the 5 years previous to it, I'm just done arguing.

I love these statements - "the facts completely disagree with my preconcieved notions, but if you don't agree with them anyway, you're an idiot"
Old 11-11-2009, 02:38 PM   #23
Daimyo
College Starter

Patriots Defensive DVOA and rank over the last 10 years (negative values are good for defensive DVOA)

YearDVOARank
20009.5%25
2001-7.7%13
20022.9%21
2003-27.8%2
2004-10.4%7
20057.2%25
2006-13.5%4
20070.9%19
20085.9%16
2009-8.3%6

Last edited by Daimyo : 11-11-2009 at 02:42 PM.
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 04:32 PM   #24
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I can't believe that we're only halfway through the NFL regular season. I am sure it has to do with being a Lions fan (or maybe it has to do with my Red Zone Channel acces), but it really feels like there should only be 3-4 games left in the season.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 08:42 PM   #25
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Colts, Steelers, Jets, Broncos, Dolphins, everyone else imo. The front office considers the Eagles a rival, and the fans would obviously love to beat the Giants after 2007, but there just isn't frequent enough interleague matchups to have cross-conference rivalries. The Bills are in the division and as competitive against us as the Dolphins, but they don't talk nearly as much, so people forget about them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
Vince Wilfork is still an all-pro at the most important position on the field. Brandon Meriwether and Jerod Mayo are two youngsters who will probably be getting pro-bowl consideration after the season (and imo Darius Butler will be too by next year). We've also replaced the huge, gaping holes in coverage (CB's, LB's and S's) that plagued us in recent seasons with at least average players.

Daimyo pulled up the exact stats I was looking for.

Last edited by BishopMVP : 11-11-2009 at 08:42 PM.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 08:50 PM   #26
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Jimmy the Greek's 30 for 30 inspired me, so I am going to just say it:

Detroit Lions 24
Minnesota Vikings 13

Go to your local bookmakers!
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 07:02 PM   #27
cuervo72
Head Coach

Mmm, does the NFL Network use the voice of Pat Summerall for its intro, or Madden Pat Summerall?

Last edited by cuervo72 : 11-12-2009 at 07:18 PM.
cuervo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 08:28 PM   #28
Rizon
Pro Starter

Jay Cutler ... lmao
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 08:34 PM   #29
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Whoa. My Thursday night has been saved!!!!

I just found the game and just realized there was actually a game tonight. WOOHOO!

Last edited by mauchow : 11-12-2009 at 08:35 PM.
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 09:08 PM   #30
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Keep up the good work Cutler. You are making me proud.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 09:11 PM   #31
Tigercat
College Starter

Lets not continue to call Cutler things like "marquee QB" in the middle of yet another 3 INT game.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 09:12 PM   #32
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Please don't let Cutler play night games anymore, k?
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 09:23 PM   #33
RendeR
Coordinator

I will openly admit that I really thought Cutler would improve the Bears. I was wrong. The Bears suck.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 09:27 PM   #34
Rizon
Pro Starter

Cutler would only improve ... wait, he wouldn't improve anyone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 09:29 PM   #35
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

They actually arent playing completely moronic tonight in that they have atleast tried to control Cutler a little bit. Even though he has still found a way to throw a goaline int and 2 others. He is throwing to the RB's and TE instead of forcing everything into the WR's which is a promising sign for the Bears.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 11-12-2009 at 09:34 PM.
Old 11-12-2009, 09:38 PM   #36
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post

The other reason I wanted to start the thread was to place a link to this website - ProFootballFocus.com - Home . Saw a link to it on FO, and while they're behind a couple weeks and I'm sure we'd argue their methodology, it's interesting to see players rated on every play. For the Patriots, Moss/Mayo's (average) and Adalius Thomas's (poor) numbers jump out at me, but I'm guessing Moss doesn't get enough credit for opening up other guys by having safeties roll over his side every play, and Mayo is coming back from injury. No idea on Thomas. It matches up with a lot of other thoughts I've had from watching - Joey Galloway being terrible, Darius Butler, and to a lesser extent Patrick Chung, looking good as rookies and combining with the addition of Leigh Bodden to solidify the secondary. Gostkowski being one of the league's best at kickoffs, etc. Again, I haven't even looked for their methodology, but it's probably the most interesting (free) link I've come across since finding FO a few years back.

Interesting site. Im surprised that Brady is the 15th rated QB, Allen is the 9th rated DE and Winfield is the 1st rated corner. I cant wait to look into the Offensive Linemen rankings.

I think Rodgers is one of the best passing QBs I have ever seen but they need to be docking him something for all the sacks he eats.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 11-12-2009 at 09:40 PM.
Old 11-12-2009, 09:46 PM   #37
MikeVic
Head Coach

lol 4 INT game apparently.

Please make Greg Olsen useful!! That's all I ask.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 09:55 PM   #38
Atocep
Coordinator

Ron Turner is making me wish the bears still had John Shoop as OC.

That's not a good thing.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 10:05 PM   #39
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Ron Turner is making me wish the bears still had John Shoop as OC.

That's not a good thing.

Bite your tongue!
Allegiances:
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
Old 11-12-2009, 10:07 PM   #40
RedKingGold
College Starter

49er's OL is bad right now, really bad.

I can't believe Smith has looked as good as he's looked while getting pressure on the outside on just about every play.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 10:13 PM   #41
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Illegal formation because Hester's not up on the line....IT'S THE 10TH WEEK OF THE SEASON YOU F*CKING MORON!!!
Allegiances:
Awards:
Old 11-12-2009, 10:14 PM   #42
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Why is San Fran punting on the bears 34 on 4th and 6. Nice 14 yard net.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 10:24 PM   #43
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Looks like Cutler was very gutsy tonight, a true gunslinger.

....if being judged by Favre standards.
Old 11-12-2009, 10:26 PM   #44
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

I cant recall Favre being this terrible.

Has a QB ever cost a team more points in the Red Zone over a single season than he has gotten them? Cutler has to be close.

14 Tds 17 ints this year. Pathetic Im not sure but Im thinking around 10 of them have been in the red zone.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 11-12-2009 at 10:29 PM.
Old 11-12-2009, 10:31 PM   #45
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The Bears really need to drop all their plays where the QB lines up over top of an ancient Indian Burial ground. It is going on like 30 years of cursed QBs now.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 10:41 PM   #46
mckerney
Coordinator

Now with a 3.5 game lead over the Bears, 4 games over the Packers, and the Lions the rest of the division seems focused on letting the Vikings lock up a division title pretty early this year.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 10:46 PM   #47
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
Now with a 3.5 game lead over the Bears, 4 games over the Packers, and the Lions the rest of the division seems focused on letting the Vikings lock up a division title pretty early this year.

Yeah...Vikings can pretty much mail it in as far a the division goes, and just focus next on a first-week bye.
Allegiances:
Awards:
Old 11-12-2009, 11:33 PM   #48
Galaxy
Coordinator

Thanks to Time Warner, I wasn't able to watch. Was Cutler that bad? What is going through his head this year.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 12:02 AM   #49
RainMaker
General Manager

As I said in the Week 1 thread, Jay Cutler is Jeff George 2.0.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 12:08 AM   #50
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Amazing. Last week the 49ers lose the turnover battle 4-0 and still manage to keep it close to the end. This week, they win 5-1, and still manage to keep it close until the end. Our offensive line is so putrid it's laughable.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote