Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-08-2003, 11:02 PM   #1
Tarkus
High School Varsity

Women's Championship

I like to think of myself as far from sexist, my views regarding Matha notwithstanding. And I love to watch women's tennis, gymnastics, skating, track and field, etc. But I just don't get women's basketball. What's the point? This is just not interesting. It's like watching a high school men's game. Anyone explain to me the attraction here (besides watching scantily clad women)?

Tarkus

Tarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2003, 11:44 PM   #2
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

More of a team game, better fundamentals (Everybody seems to shoot 75-85% from the free throw line for the season in the championship game, try finding a men's team like that!) and more emotion.

I completely enjoyed the game
Old 04-08-2003, 11:57 PM   #3
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

I didnt watch the game but I was interested in the result.
Old 04-09-2003, 01:02 AM   #4
ACStrider
High School JV

I enjoyed watching womens bball in junior high, and high school (my dad coached at the junior high level), but as the years went, it became less and less thrillling to me. I guess a part of it was seeing people that you know made up for the slower pace, but by the time that I reached the college level, that was the only reason that I bothered to watch.
Old 04-09-2003, 01:12 AM   #5
JeeberD
General Manager

I started watching girls basketball back in high school, and that was mostly because I worked with and had the hots for the teams starting center (and most of the rest of the team was damn hot too). After watching them play at a high level (they made it to state regularly) I started to watch womens college basketball as well. It just seems that they have better fundamentals, better teamwork, and that some of the chicks are worth watching just to look at.

I don't have as much time to watch basketball now as I used to, but I still try to catch what I can. I'm now somewhat of a UConn womens fan since their starting SG (Ann Strother) went to my high school (several years after I graduated). I know that even my sister thinks womens hoops isn't worth watching, but I still enjoy watching it...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 01:21 AM   #6
ACStrider
High School JV

I hear you JeeberD. In college the ONLY draw to games for me was the fact that I had the hots for the point guard my sophomore year and the PF my junior and senior year. Yeah, I went to a small college, but they were still hotties.
Old 04-09-2003, 07:29 AM   #7
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Sue Bird

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 07:35 AM   #8
Easy Mac

I don't see the better fundamentals in the game. The only thing I've noticed them doing better is free throws, and even then they don't shoot that much higher.

I think the game is fairly ugly. There are consistently bad passes, and it looks scrappy because there are so many bad passes. And the shots are just ugly half the time. The only person who looked consistently solid all night was Tarausi, and maybe the tall lanky white girl for UCONN (it was my girl's bday, so she made me watch). But hey, if I get to see a hot girl run around on occassion, i'm happy.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 07:38 AM   #9
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Not enjoyable to watch at all. It's worse than watching college baseball. I think most women's sports are great as participation activities, but as spectator sports - no thanks. I really wouldn't watch any of them if there was something else on, but I have been known to watch women's professional tennis and volleyball at times, but that's about it.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 08:03 AM   #10
oykib
College Starter

Also it's much easier to shoot accurately when the ball has a circumference that is an inch smaller.
oykib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 12:15 PM   #11
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally posted by Easy Mac
The only person who looked consistently solid all night was Tarausi, and maybe the tall lanky white girl for UCONN (it was my girl's bday, so she made me watch). But hey, if I get to see a hot girl run around on occassion, i'm happy.

The tall, lanky girl from UConn would be Ann Strother,true freshman from Highlands Ranch HS. UConn's going to be getting another lady from HRHS next year, 6'4" Liz Sherwood. I don't think she'll make as much of an impact as Ann did this year, but she is good (she won Ms Basketball Colorado) and will make her presence known in time...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 12:17 PM   #12
Bee
Pro Starter

Women play basketball?
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 12:35 PM   #13
Franklinnoble
Banned

Better fundamentals?!? You must be joking... or on the pipe... or off your medication.

My ex-wife used to drag me to WNBA games (her mother was a dyke... yes, it was as bad as you can possibly imagine). Aside from the discomfort that comes with being surrounded by 5 or 6 thousand militant butch lesbians, the games were just unbearable to watch. Mens high school games were more interesting.
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 12:41 PM   #14
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

How could you NOT like to watch Brittany Jackson?

Todd
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 12:49 PM   #15
Bee
Pro Starter

Does women's basketball have trampolines like that new basketball league (slamball?)? That might be worth watching.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 12:51 PM   #16
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by MizzouRah

Todd

Does she always cake her makeup on like that? Does the guy with the airbrush travel with the team?
Old 04-09-2003, 01:11 PM   #17
McSweeny
College Starter

Quote:

Todd

she looked pretty damn hot last night
McSweeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 01:26 PM   #18
sabotai
General Manager

Reminds me of a scene from a Futurama episode...damn funny scene too. When they explained women's basketball, the guys all laughed their asses off.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 02:27 PM   #19
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by McSweeny
she looked pretty damn hot last night

She sure did! This was an old picture. She reminds me of Jenny McCarthy without the jelly boobs, not saying I don't like jelly boobs.

Something about that bball uniform and.... ok I'm at work right now.

Todd
Old 04-09-2003, 03:31 PM   #20
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
She sure did! This was an old picture. She reminds me of Jenny McCarthy without the jelly boobs, not saying I don't like jelly boobs.

Something about that bball uniform and.... ok I'm at work right now.

Todd

You know, what ever happened to Jenny McCarthy?
Old 04-10-2003, 10:04 AM   #21
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by Franklinnoble
You know, what ever happened to Jenny McCarthy?

Good question....
Old 04-10-2003, 10:28 AM   #22
TroyF
Coordinator

I've always been a huge fan of Women's Basketball. I think many of the arguments don't hold up. I mean, sure, some of the championship game was a bit ugly.

Why don't we compare the totals of the two Championship games:

Total Points:

Men: 159
Women: 141

Shooting%:

Men:45.5 FG% 39.4 3PT % 46.8 FT%
Women: 47.1 FG% 43.5 3PT% 68.6 FT%

Turnovers:

Men:35
Women: 25

So the women had 18 fewer points and didn't dunk it? I still enjoyed the game. I'll be watching it again next year.

TroyF
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 10:31 AM   #23
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by TroyF
I've always been a huge fan of Women's Basketball. I think many of the arguments don't hold up. I mean, sure, some of the championship game was a bit ugly.

Why don't we compare the totals of the two Championship games:

Total Points:

Men: 159
Women: 141

Shooting%:

Men:45.5 FG% 39.4 3PT % 46.8 FT%
Women: 47.1 FG% 43.5 3PT% 68.6 FT%

Turnovers:

Men:35
Women: 25

So the women had 18 fewer points and didn't dunk it? I still enjoyed the game. I'll be watching it again next year.

TroyF

Troy, I'm confused, in the hockey thread you called the tournament a joke for how they seeded and used home courts for lower seeds, but yet you say how much you enjoy it. I don't get it.
Old 04-10-2003, 12:08 PM   #24
MJ4H
Coordinator

I enjoy women's basketball for the same reason I enjoy women's tennis and women's soccer (the latter two more than the men's counterpart). A slightly slower pace puts more of an emphasis on strategy in my eyes. It's just a different take on the sport. I don't have to always see the BEST competitors (usually men) to enjoy a game. The fastest, strongest, biggest players don't to me make a more interesting game. So yeah I enjoy watching women's sports on occasion. The occasional hottie doesn't hurt, either, of course.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 01:12 PM   #25
TroyF
Coordinator

Cards,

This is the first year the Women have had lower seeds play the early round games on their home floors. The coaches are throwing a fit about it and are doing everything they can to prevent it next year.

Most every commentator on the subject thinks it's shameful. What exactly is hockey doing about this again? Oh yeah, making excuses and saying it'll change sometime in 2058. Big difference.

TroyF
Old 04-10-2003, 09:30 PM   #26
ahbrady
High School JV

I enjoy watching women's basketball much more than men's. I think it is more of a team game, there isn't as much purely one-on-one play as there is at the upper levels of men's basketball, in my opinion. Another reason I enjoy women's college basketball more than men's is that none of the women are going to leave after a year or two. In the men's game the best players leave for the NBA, so you only watch them in college for a year or two, and I hate watching the NBA. Of course I am biased because I coach girl's basketball.
ahbrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 10:51 PM   #27
BishopMVP
Coordinator

All that I need to know about the quality of play is that my friends brother is on the practice team for the Boston College women's team (A Top 25 Team) because there is such a big dropoff between the starters and the bench. He didn't even start on our HS team, and we have only been over .500 once the past decade. The funny thing is that he is considered a varsity athlete and gets free meals, etc. as a member of the women's basketball team.

Anyone see Auriemma's comments after the championship game? He basically said that they needed to go to the real ball, change the size of the lane and move the 3-PT line back if they want to be taken seriously. Interesting coming from the coach of the National Champs.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2003, 02:10 AM   #28
TroyF
Coordinator

Bishop,

I'm curious, why does the quality of play change because they aren't men? They aren't going up against men.

We know men have superior "physical" skills to most women. Women aren't as fast or strong. A single science class will teach us that. They also aren't as tall. The tallest UCONN women's player this year was 6'2". The women's starting center wouldn't start at SG on the high school roster no matter how good she was. Still. . .

If I took the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and matched them up against the Ohio State football team, how close would the game be? Would Ohio State be within 40? Do I now take the jump and say that college football isn't worth watching because 18 year olds are going to have a tough time competing with 28 year olds?

My personal opinion here. . . that arguement is downright silly. If you don't like it, you don't like it. I'm not trying to convince anyone that it is great. I don't need to. I just don't believe many of the arguements aainst women's basketball have a lot of merit. In the end, for most people it comes down to one thing: they can't dunk. I'm ok with that.

To each his/her own.

TroyF
Old 04-11-2003, 11:16 AM   #29
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by TroyF
Cards,

This is the first year the Women have had lower seeds play the early round games on their home floors. The coaches are throwing a fit about it and are doing everything they can to prevent it next year.

Most every commentator on the subject thinks it's shameful. What exactly is hockey doing about this again? Oh yeah, making excuses and saying it'll change sometime in 2058. Big difference.

TroyF

So, if it doesn't change next year, is the sport "pathetic"?

What would you suggest? All tournaments are hosted by #1 Seeds? Skip the tournament and just put the top 4 teams in the Frozen/Final 4? Better yet, let's just give the championship to the team that is seeded #1 overall and that way it is insured that they don't get upset, have to play on the road, have a player have a down day, have a ref make a bad call, etc, etc, etc. Go into the Syracuse threads and tell them that they didn't deserver to be in the Final 4, let alone win, because they got to play Oklahoma in Albany.

I sometimes think you forget that it's a tournament, if they really wanted to make it fair, it would be a playoff series with games alternating between sites with no neutral site for the championship games. The logistics just aren't there. Imagine UCLA qualifying for the National Championship in football, oh no Rose Bowl, we have to move your game, because it's UCLA's home field. The examples go on and on. Most of the whining about this stuff comes from people that have a rooting interest(I'm not putting you in this category). I tried to point out to you in the hockey thread, these sports are a business also, the Women's tournament is losing money, I'm betting that home floors/areas of the country are going to be in vogue for quite some time.