Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-08-2003, 08:26 PM   #1
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Should I bench him?

Here's the deal I am assistant baseball coach for our High School team. The head coach is gone today and tomorrow. We were supposed to have a game today and tomorrow but today's got cancelled because of the weather.

I have a feeling tomorrow's will too.

Anyways, our starting LF didn't show up for practice or bother to tell anyone that he wasn't coming and/or why he couldn't come to practice. Now my problem is his backup couldn't catch a cold, and this is a big game because if we lose we will be 0-2 in the conference.

Hopefully I can get a hold of our head coach before the game tomorrow and I'll let him decide. If not, should I bench him if he doesn't have a good excuse? And face the possibility of the head coach being upset.

Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2003, 08:31 PM   #2
korme
Go Reds

BENCH.

Now, how about your lady friend?
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2003, 08:32 PM   #3
Iceberg
H.S. Freshman Team

I say if he was in school but didn't bother coming to practice bench him. Letting him play sets a bad precedent and could lead to kids thinking its ok to skip practice. However if he wasnt even in school because he was sick or something I would let him play, he may just not have thought to tell anyone he was sick.
Iceberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2003, 08:33 PM   #4
Travis
Pro Rookie

Bench him. If he doesn't have the courtesy to let you know he'll miss a team function of any sort, there has to be some sort of punishment for it. Use him only as a injury relief as even going in for a big pinch hit at the end of the game would defeat the benching.

That being said, if he has a really, really good excuse for why he couldn't contact you ahead of time, let it go. Mind you it has to be something quite out of the ordinary imho.
Old 04-08-2003, 08:34 PM   #5
oykib
College Starter

It's high school. There isn't much of a consideration here. You're supposed to be teaching these young men about life. If he didn't show up to work without saying aything, what would happen...?
oykib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2003, 09:07 PM   #6
Travis
Pro Rookie

Well, at my work, you get 2 verbal reprimands, then a suspension (translation, paid week off of work ) then fired. Of course, following the firing, the union will have you back to work at your old rate of pay and seniority within a month.

But I still stand behind benching him!
Old 04-08-2003, 09:15 PM   #7
Craptacular
College Starter

Ride the pine.
Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2003, 09:26 PM   #8
mckerney
Coordinator

I'm a bit dissapointed that this isn't a hattrick thread, but I say bench him. Some players on team will be very pissed if you let him play.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2003, 09:32 PM   #9
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

bench him. you have to set an example.
Old 04-08-2003, 09:59 PM   #10
mrskippy
Banned

Bench him. Even if he was sick, he should have contacted you. Being on an athletic team of any kind means being a responsible person. Last I remember in athletics there usually is a list with every coach and player phone number. He should have called you if he knew he was going to be out for a legitimate reason.
mrskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2003, 10:01 PM   #11
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

bench him.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2003, 10:27 PM   #12
mrskippy
Banned

Heck ... come to think of it. If he was too sick for practice, than he's too sick to play. Damn I'm mean.
mrskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2003, 11:00 PM   #13
INDalltheway
College Benchwarmer

As a player on a highschool team right now, I would have to say have a meeting with him first thing. Find out the reason for his absence then make him go get dressed or what you guys do. Then hold a private meeting with the teams leader or leaders. Talk to them about it. Tell them what his situation is, and let them have some say in it. After your little meeting with the player (who missed practise) make a decision of what you want to do. Then talk to these guys, first telling them your feelings on the situation.

Last edited by INDalltheway : 04-08-2003 at 11:01 PM.
INDalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2003, 11:09 PM   #14
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Ask him why in private. If he wasn't sick from school (or some other emergency type reason), then bench him. Inform the entire team why homeboy isn't playing as well.

If he chose to just be a slacker, then you can respond with being the merciless, all knowing, all powerful god of the universe.
Coffee Warlord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2003, 11:30 PM   #15
damnMikeBrown
College Benchwarmer

It may be the young man genuinely does have some trouble, and couldn't be there. That doesn't preclude a phone call. If he is having troubles, maybe sitting and watching his friends play some ball is just the ticket. Whatever is happening, he has to know that people depend on him, as he is a part of a team.

As far as being out sick, well, the school knows. I assume the morning phone call to the school is still mandatory. You are an extension of the school, so by proxy you know, even if you don't. If a kid isn't at practice, a quick query of "Was Joe Joe in school today?" will result in a quick yes or no, and you have your answer.

I overslept a film session the day after a friday night football game. I just plain zonked out and didn't wake up until noon. I got up, drove over as fast as I chould, and apologised to my monkey ass of a coach. One other guy missed too, but didn't try to contact the coach.

Monday was hell. The both of us were kept after a physical practice. We were kept after the mandatory lifting afterwords. We were made to apologise to the team. We went through hell. We were literally so exhausted, we couldn't move. Whistle, move, whistle, move, pain pain pain. Basic Training was -never- as bad as that time was.

The other kid didn't get to play Friday night. There was some doubt as to wether or not I'd be allowed to, but the monkey ass coach was sufficiently pleased with my attitude to improve, and remorse for missing the meeting (I was upset, I really enjoyed to watch us play), that I got to play.

Nobody missed film session for the rest of the season.

If he was sick from school, bench him and put him in later in the game.

If he just skipped, find out what's wrong, why it happened, and when he's done talking, you can explain about teamwork, dependability, and the lost art of cheering from the bench. It's an opportunity to show him not only that the team is important, but he is, and that the the team lessened by his absence. It's a solid chance for him to right his rudder, the season is still very young.
damnMikeBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 12:04 AM   #16
Airhog
Captain Obvious

Here is how it worked at my HS.

You missed practice the day before the game or the day of the game, no play. No excuses. what sort of policy does the coach have about this? IMHO I would have to agree that he shouldnt play. If he was sick, he shouldnt play ethier. Of course you said you dont have a suitable backup, hopefully his replacement wont cost you the ballgame.

Thread Killer extraordinaire

Yay! its football season once again!
Airhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 12:07 AM   #17
MrBug708
Head Coach

Make him not start. Bring him in as a sub
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 03:44 AM   #18
Rich1033
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally posted by MrBug708
Make him not start. Bring him in as a sub

Exactly what I was going to suggest.

Also you may want to get together with the coach and set up some guidelines to follow. That way there will never be any debate about a punishment.
Rich1033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 10:40 AM   #19
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Game got cancelled, so I'll leave it up to the head coach but I am going to suggest benching him.
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 10:59 AM   #20
scooper
College Benchwarmer

It depends. What part of Ohio are you in? If you're playing my alma mater, bench him.
scooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 12:32 PM   #21
Kodos
Resident Alien

Cut off his head and bring it to me to feast on.

Well, maybe benching him would be enough...
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 01:07 PM   #22
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Bench him. Unless you're playing for the title and he can kick 55 yard field goals, then I say do what Bobby did.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote