Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-08-2003, 06:34 PM   #1
Pyser
Pro Rookie

Sapp to Bengals for 1st pick in draft?

Kffl.com is reporting that the Bucs are in talks with the Bengals to move up to the 1st pick in the draft, in exchange for warren sapp (and lots of draft picks, i would think).

weird. would tampa want a franchinse qb that high? a dt? a wr? youd think it would take a LOT for the bengals to drop down 31 spots. sapp is good, but....i dont know. this just doesnt make any sense to me right now.

what do you guys think? obviously this is nowhere near done, and will almost definitely never happen. but its just a weird rumor to begin with.

by the way, the whole "story" is this:

NFL | Buccaneers and Bengals Talk? - posted at KFFL (http://nfl.kffl.com)

15:40 PT: Kevin Goheen reports for the Cincinnati Post an NFL source told the newspaper the Cincinnati Bengals may be interested in trading their No. 1 pick in the upcoming April draft to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Reportedly the two sides have conducted preliminary discussions about the matter. One name that has surfaced for a possible trade is that of DT Warren Sapp.

Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2003, 06:37 PM   #2
Noble_Platypus
College Prospect

Cincy wouldnt drop to #32. The Raiders own that pick, from the Gruden deal. With 5 QBs on the roster now I dont think they would trade up to take another one. Maybe Charles Rogers? Or perhaps Terance Newman?
Old 04-08-2003, 06:39 PM   #3
Pyser
Pro Rookie

d'oh! thats right. that makes this even more implausible to me. how do you trade up from the 64th pick? #1 next year, #1 year after that? more players?
Old 04-08-2003, 06:43 PM   #4
Noble_Platypus
College Prospect

It would take probably the next 2 years first round picks, plus a few from this year, plus a player. I dont see where this is smart for the Buccs. If I am Cincy I think I do it provided they get what I listed above. They dont want to gamble on a QB, and they dont feel any other player is #1 pick worthy talent wise.If there were ever a year where it was bad to have the first pick, this would be it. You cant afford to reach for a player at a need position there,and the money that player will command almost forces you to start them. Dont you think?
Old 04-08-2003, 06:45 PM   #5
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

I think Sapp would retire than go to the Bengals...
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2003, 06:48 PM   #6
Noble_Platypus
College Prospect

Why? Because they suck? The Buccs sucked when he first started playing there.
Old 04-08-2003, 06:48 PM   #7
korme
Go Reds

korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2003, 07:14 PM   #8
Havok
College Starter

playing under marvin lewis wouldnt be such a bad thing. But i think the Tampa Bay Fans would kill Grudan and the Owners if they trade Sapp. That would be like he Redskins trading Darrell Green. I dont think it will ever happen.
Old 04-08-2003, 07:16 PM   #9
Noble_Platypus
College Prospect

With no clear #1 and TB already without many draft choices from the Gruden deal I cant see them giving up more in order to go to #1
Old 04-08-2003, 07:26 PM   #10
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Noble_Platypus
Why? Because they suck? The Buccs sucked when he first started playing there.

He's won a superbowl, Tampa Bay is a nice place to play...why go to a team that is constantly problematic...if I was Sapp, I'd walk away in a blaze of glory.

And yes the Buccs sucked when he first got there, and he was /young/ now he's older, and if I had my choice soaking up rays in Florida, or boos in Bengaland, I know what I'd do...especially in my twilight years.
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2003, 07:27 PM   #11
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

No way this deal can happen. The Bucs are already down tons of draft picks, Sapp is the most popular player on the team, and it would cripple their future drafts. And even if they could pull it off, who are they after?
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2003, 07:39 PM   #12
couriers

Does Sapp have a No Trade Clause in his contract by any chance?
Old 04-08-2003, 07:44 PM   #13
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Send Sapp to Cincy...he is overrated anyway.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2003, 08:05 PM   #14
Havok
College Starter

Since i just moved to florida last june, i've had a chance to watch almost ever tampa game this season, Sapp isnt overrated. Rice wouldn't have nearly the year he had if it wasnt for sapp. He's not quite the stud he was 3 years ago. But he's still a beast.

Watching him play i just cant figure out how a guy with that body build is that quick on his feet and that agile. He's truly a freak of nature.
Old 04-08-2003, 08:21 PM   #15
Pyser
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by couriers
Does Sapp have a No Trade Clause in his contract by any chance?

football players dont have no trade clauses i dont think. i dont know of any, anyway.
Old 04-08-2003, 08:28 PM   #16
couriers

Quote:
Originally posted by Pyser
football players dont have no trade clauses i dont think. i dont know of any, anyway.

That doesn't sound right. As a matter of fact Seau just requested one from the Chargers, he didn't get it but it was an option.

EDIT: Also there is this Article that discusses Tim Couch and his No Trade Clause.
Old 04-08-2003, 08:53 PM   #17
Aylmar
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally posted by Havok
Since i just moved to florida last june, i've had a chance to watch almost ever tampa game this season, Sapp isnt overrated. Rice wouldn't have nearly the year he had if it wasnt for sapp. He's not quite the stud he was 3 years ago. But he's still a beast.

Well, the fact is that there are guards in the NFL that can dominate Sapp. As Exhibit #1, I present Alan Faneca of the Pittsburgh Steelers. Sapp hates playing him...because Faneca pushes him all over the field for sixty minutes. Of course, Faneca is also (in my mind, and from what I read, that of many experts) one of the best guards in the league...so take that for what's it worth.

Edited to fix a sentence.

Last edited by Aylmar : 04-08-2003 at 08:54 PM.
Aylmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2003, 08:55 PM   #18
mckerney
Coordinator

One belief is that Sapp has been a bit off his top game in recent years and will continue to decline. He was never a weight lifter and could rely on his natural strength and talent, but as he ages not being a weight lifter is affecting his strength and conditioning.

No way I make this deal if I were the Bengals, but also no way I'd take Carson Palmer if I were them either. Too much of a risk for a guy who was good one year and had great talent around him that one year. Terrence Newman or Charles Rogers is the way to go for them.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2003, 08:59 PM   #19
mckerney
Coordinator

Dola

I wouldn't put too much in these trade rumors either. One local guy (who with some of the stuff he's written over the last couple years I think might have decided to pull a Mr. X and make up his stories) wrote that the Vikings were in negotiations with Arizona to send Dante Culpepper there for their #6 draft pick.

Regardless that they traded Todd Bouman Culpepper was the starter and Bouman was causing problems with his desire to start. And that there is no way that Red McCombs would be willing to pay 2 top ten picks big signing bonuses. But hey, maybe he wants the Minister of Information position in Iraq once Saddam's regime is toppled.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2003, 09:58 PM   #20
tucker342
Pro Starter

No way it happens...

Who would the Buccs take with that pick?
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2003, 11:00 PM   #21
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
Quote:
Originally posted by tucker342
No way it happens...

Who would the Buccs take with that pick?

Colossal Squid
Old 04-08-2003, 11:12 PM   #22
damnMikeBrown
College Benchwarmer

No way they take Squid. Yeah, you look at Squid and think, "Damn! What a physical freak of nature!", but when it comes down to it, Squid just doesn't show up. It could be Squid's lack of heart, or desire, but when push comes to shove, you never see Squid. You hear second hand reports that say Squid can do some amazing things, but really, who's to know. Sure, he's got the prototypical Squid body, and the physical numbers are all there, but he just doesn't produce when anybody is watching.
damnMikeBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2003, 11:18 PM   #23
JeeberD
General Manager

It's because of Squid's lack of an endoskeleton that he gets pushed around despite his monstrous size...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 12:02 AM   #24
SegRat
High School Varsity

Sapp is way over rated. At one time he was one of the best DT's in the NFL, but the last 3 years he really has been average at best.
Old 04-09-2003, 08:36 AM   #25
oykib
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by SegRat
Sapp is way over rated. At one time he was one of the best DT's in the NFL, but the last 3 years he really has been average at best.

What the hell is this post? It's about the squid now.

Personally, I don't see what the hype is about the squid. What's the competiton level like in the Antarctic? You put me out there and people'd call me collossal (sp?) [ well... maybe not - it's kinda cold down there ]. What do they have out there: penguins?
oykib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 08:46 AM   #26
scooper
College Benchwarmer

Antarrctica? I thought the collossal squid played for Marshall.
scooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 08:59 AM   #27
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
Quote:
Originally posted by damnMikeBrown
It could be Squid's lack of heart, or desire, but when push comes to shove, you never see Squid. You hear second hand reports that say Squid can do some amazing things, but really, who's to know. Sure, he's got the prototypical Squid body, and the physical numbers are all there, but he just doesn't produce when anybody is watching.

What? Are you fucking kidding? Colossal squid has been used incorrectly by every coach who has had him.

I don't think we need to take talent eval from a Bengal Fan too seriously. Who would you rather have Akili Smith or the Colossal Squid?
Old 04-09-2003, 09:10 AM   #28
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Alan Faneca told me that he thinks the Squid would be a "formidable" opponent.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 09:25 AM   #29
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Hey, Colossal Squid has the bulk (330 lbs) to anchor the middle, but the kicker is the heighth. At 16' with all of those tentacles, he doesn't have to penetrate to be a pass-rush nightmare. It won't just be the Doug Flutie types winging sidearm around THAT obstacle.

And don't underestimate the quality of play in the Antarctic. YOU try a spin move on a sperm whale, BAYBEE.
Old 04-09-2003, 09:29 AM   #30
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Even if Squid is lacking in some areas, he would be a star on the Special Teams "Block" squads. No way a kicker clears him.
Old 04-09-2003, 09:30 AM   #31
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

And, with those hooks in his tentacles, a "hands to the face" penalty is going to be well-worth the yardage offset when you've taken the OL out of the game. This guy's got some big upside.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 09:31 AM   #32
B & B
College Benchwarmer

Location: A sports era long ago when everything didnt require a Nike logo
This is the only football thread on page one at FOFC and you guys are jacking it up on calamari.
Old 04-09-2003, 09:31 AM   #33
Bee
Pro Starter

The Squid is highly overrated. He'll bust.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 09:32 AM   #34
scooper
College Benchwarmer

I've heard questions about his conditioning. They say he gets winded when taken out of his underwater element.
Old 04-09-2003, 09:35 AM   #35
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Quote:
Originally posted by Bee
The Squid is highly overrated. He'll bust.

You and Kiper will be eating crow when Colossal squid turns Vick into chum.
Old 04-09-2003, 01:08 PM   #36
Pyser
Pro Rookie

well, we did get about 20 posts in before it turned back into squid.

personally, i think the lions need the squid anchoring their D more than cincy. but then, tampa is closer to an ocean than either cincy or detroit....
Old 04-09-2003, 01:15 PM   #37
JeeberD
General Manager

Why does everyone ignore the fact that Squid has no endoskeleton? This is the major reason he'll never succed in the NFL. Even an average offensive lineman will be able to turn him into a puddle of goo...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 01:24 PM   #38
Lazy Eye
n00b

I once saw Colossal squid with a Chinese menu in his hand
Walking through the streets of Soho in the rain
He was looking for a place called Lee Ho Fook's
Going to get himself a big dish of beef chow mein
Lazy Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 01:47 PM   #39
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by B & B
This is the only football thread on page one at FOFC and you guys are jacking it up on calamari.

This cracks me up.

I don't think the Bucs need the #1 pick in the draft... unless they want to piss off Brad Johnson some more. Then again, I think Brad Johnson is about as valuable to the Bucs as Sapp is... a solid performer, but not entirely indisposable, and certainly not hall-of-fame material.

By and large, I think this would be a stupid trade for both teams. Cincy can do more with that pick, and the Bucs don't need it.
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 04:01 PM   #40
damnMikeBrown
College Benchwarmer

It wouldn't incense me if we got Herschel Walker type of picks. I mean next years first, the year after that's 1st. Toss in a couple seconds & a third, and we're in business. Sapp is kind of a big mouth. You talk about a HUGE potential cancer in Cincy..man, just wait until he starts to damn Mike Brown. . .
damnMikeBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 04:06 PM   #41
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by damnMikeBrown
It wouldn't incense me if we got Herschel Walker type of picks. I mean next years first, the year after that's 1st. Toss in a couple seconds & a third, and we're in business. Sapp is kind of a big mouth. You talk about a HUGE potential cancer in Cincy..man, just wait until he starts to damn Mike Brown. . .

Keep dreaming. Tampa won't give up that much just for this year's #1, and they don't want to unload Sapp that bad at all.

If you want "Herschel Walker" picks, shop Corey Dillon around... although it seems like RB's are a dime a dozen in the NFL these days. Stephen Davis didn't get much interest as a free agent, and he's the best RB to hit the free agent market in a long time.
Old 04-09-2003, 04:16 PM   #42
Noble_Platypus
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally posted by Franklinnoble
Keep dreaming. Tampa won't give up that much just for this year's #1, and they don't want to unload Sapp that bad at all.

If you want "Herschel Walker" picks, shop Corey Dillon around... although it seems like RB's are a dime a dozen in the NFL these days. Stephen Davis didn't get much interest as a free agent, and he's the best RB to hit the free agent market in a long time.

Do you think they could get a lot for Dillon? The COlts only got a 2nd and 5th round pick for Marshall Faulk when they dealt him to the Rams.
Old 04-09-2003, 04:31 PM   #43
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Noble_Platypus
Do you think they could get a lot for Dillon? The COlts only got a 2nd and 5th round pick for Marshall Faulk when they dealt him to the Rams.

Excellent point. And the 'Skins didn't even bother to try trading Davis, because they knew there was so little interest. I think Dillon is a little better than Davis (although I challenge you to find a better back that will get you 4 yards when you need it), but I think the result of a trade would be pretty disappointing.
Old 04-09-2003, 04:37 PM   #44
Pyser
Pro Rookie

i find it bizarre that olandis gary hasnt been snapped up. as long as he lands a starting role, ill grab him for my fantasy team asap. im not saying hes another priest holmes, but the dude has produced and is only a 4 yr vet.

weird werid nfl offseason.
Old 04-09-2003, 04:41 PM   #45
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
i find it bizarre that olandis gary hasnt been snapped up. as long as he lands a starting role, ill grab him for my fantasy team asap. im not saying hes another priest holmes, but the dude has produced and is only a 4 yr vet.

weird werid nfl offseason.

Like I said... good RB's are an easily acquired commodity these days, it seems...
Old 04-10-2003, 02:08 PM   #46
Pyser
Pro Rookie

from cbs.sportsline.com:

Those rumors about the Bengals trading the No. 1 overall pick to Tampa Bay for Warren Sapp and something else are ridiculous. Here's why: What team is going to trade a pick that valuable for a 31-year-old defensive tackle whose contract expires after this season and whose play is on the decline? The Bengals have made some dumb moves in their day, but nothing that stupid. Sapp's contract talks with the Bucs could get interesting, and could lead to his playing with another team in the next couple of years. Check out his play in two playoff games and the Super Bowl and then ask if he's worth a mega contract at his age. By the way, if Tampa Bay has to make a choice between giving Sapp or Anthony McFarland an extension, you can bet it will be the latter.
Old 04-10-2003, 02:36 PM   #47
scooper
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
from cbs.sportsline.com:

if Tampa Bay has to make a choice between giving Sapp or Anthony McFarland an extension, you can bet it will be the latter.

I'd agree. Booger has a better chance of sticking in Tampa.