Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-08-2003, 05:00 PM   #1
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

OT: Seth Yatovitz and the Case of the Yellow Ribbons

For those who aren't aware, Seth Yatovitz is a Palo Alto, California man upset with the city of Burlingame, California because they're allowing yellow ribbons to be placed on lamp posts in town.

Mr. Yatovitz is of the opinion that the war is illegal, and he's threatened to sue the city if they left the ribbons on the lamp posts.

Anyway, I emailed Mr. Yatovitz to try and set up an interview.. his responses are now at www.camedwards.com . It's a pretty funny read. I especially like the part when he calls me a smart ass.

CamEdwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2003, 09:29 PM   #2
Craptacular
College Starter

Cam, even though I generally agree with your views, I would have called you a smartass as well. By the way, the place I grew up has been in the news for banning yellow ribbons:

Issue of yellow ribbons in public spaces has officials in knots
Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2003, 09:35 PM   #3
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

I didn't say he was WRONG to call me a smartass, did I?

BTW, what kind of messed up state is Wisconsin, anyway? Banning yellow ribbons and giving the Dixie Chicks the keys to the city of Madison?

When are you required to start wearing berets?

That reminds me, I need to call Wisconsin politicians "cheese loving protest monkeys" tomorrow.
Old 04-08-2003, 09:47 PM   #4
Craptacular
College Starter

According to our afternoon paper, the alderman was expected to withdraw the Dixie Chicks resolution at tonight's city council meeting. Unfortunately, I have not been glued to the city government cable station to watch it tonight. I'm sure it's thrilling television as usual.

Wisconsin is a screwed up state, I'll give you that. I grew up in one of the most conservative towns in the nation (the place that banned the ribbons), but have lived in ultra-liberal Madison the last 10 years. It's quite a contrast, but I'm always entertained!
Old 04-08-2003, 09:48 PM   #5
couriers

I like that he has to take 3 buses to get to the doctors office but visits another town on the weekends just for the hell of it. Sounds fishy to me.
Old 04-08-2003, 10:12 PM   #6
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by CamEdwards
That reminds me, I need to call Wisconsin politicians "cheese loving protest monkeys" tomorrow.

That sounds about right
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2003, 10:16 PM   #7
mckerney
Coordinator

dola

So to answer your question, to some people the yellow ribbons still indicate support for an illegal war and they are still offensive. Not just to me, but to dozens.

Holy shit! He has DOZENS of people on his side?!?!

You better not bring this up again, or they may boycott the sponsers of your show. They'd probably pull their spots when they lose out on potential sales from all those people!
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2003, 11:01 PM   #8
ACStrider
High School JV

Cam - My dad's side of the family lives in Wisconsin. Want to know what they call Madison? Sodom on the lake!! I get a kick out of hearing it every time.
Old 04-09-2003, 01:15 PM   #9
Craptacular
College Starter

Just to follow up on the Madison / Dixie Chicks saga:

'Dixie Chicks' Resolutions Stirs Madison Boycott

Some east coast production company has apparently cancelled plans to bring 500 employees (including many veterans) to Madison for a training class this summer. Looks like this joke of a resolution just cost Madison some money.
Old 04-09-2003, 01:22 PM   #10
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Wasn't your radio show about Sports at one time?

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 01:25 PM   #11
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Marmel
Wasn't your radio show about Sports at one time?

He changed stations...now he talks about cheese and squid.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 01:35 PM   #12
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Bee
He changed stations...now he talks about cheese and squid.

Boooo!

I didn't know these radio guys were qualified to talk about more than one thing. Then again, I haven't heard Cam's show, so maybe he isn't. :o

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Old 04-09-2003, 01:41 PM   #13
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

Marmel,

To answer your question.. yes, I was doing a sports talk show for about a year. Back in November I became the morning show host at the #1 news talk station in Oklahoma City (of course, there was only one at the time...)

My background isn't in sports, it's in journalism. I've been a television and radio reporter for the past 7 years. I've done everything from covering the crime beat to investigative reporting to making television documentaries.

I'm much more comfortable doing a newstalk show rather than a sportstalk show.
Old 04-09-2003, 01:57 PM   #14
mrskippy
Banned

Quote:
Mr. Yatovitz is of the opinion that the war is illegal, and he's threatened to sue the city if they left the ribbons on the lamp posts.

Why do people keep saying this war is illegal? Illegal to who? The UN? France?

If those warheads indeed have chemicals would this war still be illegal?
mrskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 02:03 PM   #15
mrskippy
Banned

Ah Rep. Barbara Lee said this war was illegal. That explains everyting. She's a friggin commie!!!
Old 04-09-2003, 02:07 PM   #16
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Thanks Cam. I figured you could not be a sports expert with the things you have said here, plus you are a Red Soc fan. shows how much you know about sports.

ahhh, mrs kippy......All I am going to say is please label your inexcuable dola posting.

Old 04-09-2003, 02:18 PM   #17
mrskippy
Banned

Barbara Lee is the only member of Congress to vote against the war on terrorism. Of course, she turned around a year later and supported the resolution supporting the Pledge of Allegiance.

She's a scary woman. I know many Democrats in the Oakland area, who I'd consider left of middle, and they still won't vote for her.

My problem with Lee (and most peaceniks) is that she (they) seem(s) so willing to sign the United States life over to the UN. And that is what I'm against, pandering to and pleasing the UN while forgetting about our soverignty.