Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-28-2009, 11:54 AM   #1
DeToxRox
Head Coach

NFL Week 8 - Game of the year editon

Yes, the roarin' Lions take on the fightin' Rams in what should be a classic give and take battle. 30,000 fans at Ford Field will be witness to one of the greatest clashes in modern NFL history.

Watch as such NFL luminaries as Marc Bulger, Danny Amendola and Paris Lenon do battle with Bryant Johnson, William James and Dominic Raiola.

Don't let the fact that these two teams are a combined 1-38 in their last 39 games deter you, as the action will be fierce, the atmosphere electric and the history books will be written, claiming this to be the game of all games.

DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 12:06 PM   #2
tucker rocky
Pro Rookie

Nobody wins, 0-0 tie.
tucker rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 12:10 PM   #3
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker rocky View Post
Nobody wins, 0-0 tie.

If that happened, we wouldn't have the Snow Bowl, it'd simply be referred to as the Blow Bowl.
Old 10-28-2009, 12:18 PM   #4
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

So that's where Paris Lenon ended up. Last I heard he was with the Patriots or something. It took me a minute to remember Will James was a Lions cornerback. I am not sure if he's a starter or not, since the Lions don't really have starting cornerbacks. They just have a bunch of really bad players who get benched throughout the game.

This game will be even more exciting if Calvin Johnson's knee keeps him out of the game.

I wonder if this game will be able to live up to the hype. It could even be eclipsed by next week's Cleveland v. Detroit tilt.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 12:29 PM   #5
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Yes, the roarin' Lions take on the fightin' Rams in what should be a classic give and take battle. 30,000 fans at Ford Field will be witness to one of the greatest clashes in modern NFL history.

Watch as such NFL luminaries as Marc Bulger, Danny Amendola and Paris Lenon do battle with Bryant Johnson, William James and Dominic Raiola.

Don't let the fact that these two teams are a combined 1-38 in their last 39 games deter you, as the action will be fierce, the atmosphere electric and the history books will be written, claiming this to be the game of all games.

with some games you just have to throw out the records!
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 12:31 PM   #6
tucker rocky
Pro Rookie

Let's not forget about the Oak/Clev matchup in week 16.
tucker rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 12:38 PM   #7
MikeVic
Head Coach

Just watch that new league instead!
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 12:39 PM   #8
DeToxRox
Head Coach

This game could sellout and Goodell will still black it out for the good of the NFL, and I couldn't blame him.
Old 10-28-2009, 01:48 PM   #9
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Are tickets still available?
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 01:52 PM   #10
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
Are tickets still available?

Without question. I am not sure how many total but I bet a lot. The only chance this comes close to selling out is if Stafford is announced tomorrow as for sure starting and that has a 1% chance of happening.

He has practiced and could start but it won't be announced until closer to Sunday if so.
Old 10-28-2009, 02:27 PM   #11
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Larry Johnson has been asked to stay away from practice and team facilities indefinitely. I'm guessing they're just waiting for Goodell to announce how many games they won't have to pay him before they release him.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 03:30 PM   #12
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Nobody wins, 0-0 tie.

I heard Vegas is giving BOTH teams 15 points.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 03:37 PM   #13
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Larry Johnson has been asked to stay away from practice and team facilities indefinitely. I'm guessing they're just waiting for Goodell to announce how many games they won't have to pay him before they release him.

that's gay
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 03:46 PM   #14
Danny
Head Coach

Woot! This could be the week Stephen Jackson finally scores me a touchdown!
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 03:56 PM   #15
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

I dare someone to take either the Rams or Lions in their Suicide pool.
Old 10-28-2009, 04:01 PM   #16
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I'd take Detroit!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 04:06 PM   #17
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post

Guess it's time for me to release him.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 04:13 PM   #18
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Without question. I am not sure how many total but I bet a lot. The only chance this comes close to selling out is if Stafford is announced tomorrow as for sure starting and that has a 1% chance of happening.

He has practiced and could start but it won't be announced until closer to Sunday if so.

According to the Detroit Free Press, about 10,000 tickets remain for Sunday's epic showdown between the Lions and Rams.

I predict a blackout.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 04:21 PM   #19
MikeVic
Head Coach

If I were a Lions fan, I'd go to the game because my team would probably look pretty good. At least if Stafford and Megatron were playing, I could see a nice Lions win here.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 04:22 PM   #20
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

PING: Mike Martz
Old 10-28-2009, 04:25 PM   #21
Bearcat729
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Let's not forget about the Oak/Clev matchup in week 16.

Not just that, Cleveland still gets to play Detroit, Jacksonville and Kansas City this season. I want to petition the league to have games vs Pittsburgh and San Diego be replaced by St Louis and Tennessee just so we will know who was the worst team in the league this year.
Old 10-28-2009, 11:34 PM   #22
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Happy the Steelers have a Bye this week.

Theim hoping for 11-5 at the worst. 5-2 right now and we still get to play the Faiders, Browns, Chiefs.

Desperately need to beat Denver next week for tiebreakers potentially. Apparently Ryan Clark almost died the last time they were in Denver. He is probably sitting out next week cause of sickle cell concerns.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 08:44 AM   #23
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Don't let the fact that these two teams are a combined 1-38 in their last 39 games deter you

Which means you earn almost no credit for the win and get the agony of defeat.
Old 10-29-2009, 09:57 AM   #24
Kodos
Resident Alien

There are sure a lot of awful teams in the league this year.
Old 10-29-2009, 10:19 AM   #25
larrymcg421
Head Coach

If the Pats sign Larry Johnson, I quit.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 10:19 AM   #26
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post

Did I miss something or is this just speculation?
Old 10-29-2009, 10:51 AM   #27
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Well, the Chiefs just suspended him, and the Patriots have a track record of taking "problem" players and making them relevant again, so....
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 10:53 AM   #28
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:

What are you quitting?
Old 10-29-2009, 10:57 AM   #29
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Yeah, I mean it makes some sense, I just didn't know if there was actually anything solid to it. Personally, don't think he helps us too much. The biggest "problem" with Johnson isn't the slur thing, it's the broken body he's using.
Old 10-29-2009, 11:18 AM   #30
larrymcg421
Head Coach

It was just random speculation, but something I could see happening and suddenly witness the horror of Larry Johnson returning to his old form.

Old 10-29-2009, 11:18 AM   #31
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaGoth View Post
What are you quitting?

Figure of speech.

Old 10-29-2009, 11:24 AM   #32
TroyF
Coordinator

Interesting slate of games this weekend.

Dolphins/Jets - Jets want revenge, Dolphins NEED this game.

Giants/Eagles - No Westbrook for the Eagles. Home division games in this division are critical. Giants need to end their skid before it turns into something bad.

Broncos/Ravens - Ravens NEED this game badly. Both teams are rested and healthy coming off of byes.

49ers/Colts - Alex Smith in the dome with a team having a week to prepare for him. We get to see what he's made of pretty quick.

Vikings/Packers - Obviously, HUGE, HUGE game for the Packers.

Falcons/Saints - Falcons still searching for that road win to announce they can play with anyone.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 11:27 AM   #33
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
Vikings/Packers - Obviously, HUGE, HUGE game for the Packers.

Isn't there some storyline with this game that's interesting outside of the packers needing a win? I've been watching ESPN all week but they haven't mentioned it yet and I just can't seem to remember what it is.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 11:35 AM   #34
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
Isn't there some storyline with this game that's interesting outside of the packers needing a win? I've been watching ESPN all week but they haven't mentioned it yet and I just can't seem to remember what it is.

Probably not your fault, ESPN dropped the ball the first time they played

ESPN Completely Misses Brett Favre Vs. Green Bay Packers Storyline | The Onion - America's Finest News Source

Quote:
ESPN Completely Misses Brett Favre Vs. Green Bay Packers Storyline

BRISTOL, CT—In what is being called the biggest gaffe in the sports network's 30-year history, ESPN totally forgot to cover last week's Brett Favre vs. Green Bay Packers storyline.

Favre's legendary career with the Packers, which spanned 16 seasons, three MVP awards, and one Super Bowl title, was not mentioned even once during pregame coverage of the Monday night Packers-Vikings matchup or during the game itself. Records indicated that it wasn't until Wednesday—more than 48 hours after Favre led Minnesota to a dramatic 30-23 victory—that producers began to feel that they may have overlooked one of sports' most obvious storylines.

"I was looking at a newspaper, and it said, 'Favre Sacks Former Team,' and at that point I realized we really missed one," ESPN president George Bodenheimer told reporters. "I just want to apologize to our viewers. Had the Favre-Packers connection dawned on us sooner, fans could have enjoyed the same quality sports journalism they have come to expect from ESPN: driving storylines into the ground and exploiting every one of their subplots to the point of nausea."

ESPN news director Vince Doria said that if he or any of his colleagues had realized Favre would be playing against his former team, the network would have begun overhyping the week-four matchup the moment the quarterback signed with the Vikings. Instead, ESPN attempted to generate interest in the game by doing an extensive two-week profile on Vikings backup tight end Jim Kleinsasser.

"We kind of blew a golden opportunity," Doria said. "Endless explanations as to what Brett Favre meant to the city of Green Bay, restating over and over how he left the Packers on poor terms, and airing at least 50 segments featuring wild and irresponsible speculation about his motives for returning to the NFL. It would have been perfect."

"I only wish these two teams played again this year so we could have a chance to fix our mistake," Doria added.

Monday Night Football producer Jay Rothman also registered his disappointment, saying that the network could have asked, "Is Brett Favre seeking revenge on the Packers?" so many times that the words would have lost all meaning.

"Do you realize how often we could have shown a comparison graphic between [current Packers quarterback] Aaron Rodgers and Brett Favre?" Rothman said. "And not just during the broadcast of the game, but on SportsCenter, NFL Primetime, Sunday NFL Countdown, NFL Live, SportsCenter Monday Kickoff, and Monday Night Countdown—not to mention during every single fucking 15-minute update on ESPNews."

"And ESPN.com," Rothman said. "My God, we could have used ESPN.com to really beat into the heads of America that Brett Favre still plays the game with childlike exuberance. And he's turning 40! We could have done so much with that, like mention it every 10 seconds."

Rothman admitted that an awareness of the Brett Favre storyline would have also given him the chance to air some of the most obvious and asinine statistics in the history of sports broadcasting, such as a graphic documenting how backup quarterbacks who replace departing Hall of Fame–bound quarterbacks have historically fared in the league.

"We messed up plain and simple," Rothman said. "Knowing what I know now, I would have started the broadcast with a highlight reel of Brett Favre's greatest moments with the Green Bay Packers just to set the tone that the night would be Brett Favre, Brett Favre, Brett Favre, Brett Favre, Brett Favre, Brett Favre. That would have made much more sense than opening with a discussion about the Vikings' new three-year naming rights agreement to call their stadium the Mall of America Field at Hubert H. Humphrey Metrodome."

"I'm still kicking myself because Jon Gruden didn't have a chance to share with America his very long, very uncomfortable anecdote about how he once sort of coached Favre," Rothman added.

Though employees continue to express regret over ESPN's lack of coverage, football fans across the nation generally seemed to enjoy the broadcast of Monday night's game.

"I think ESPN showed a lot of restraint," New York resident Dan Jeffery, 43, said. "I didn't need anyone to tell me Brett Favre was playing against his old team. Everyone and their mother knew that. I actually appreciated that they let the drama play out on the field."
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 11:37 AM   #35
Radii
Head Coach

haha yeah that was one of my favorite Onion articles ever
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 11:41 AM   #36
DataKing
Pro Rookie

I <3 the Onion.
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 11:44 AM   #37
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Figure of speech.

gotcha
Old 10-29-2009, 11:46 AM   #38
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Oooo I've got an idea. Every year from here on out, when the last winless team gets their first win of the season, the 2008 Detroit Lions should pop champaign bottles, poor it out on the floor, piss in the bottles, cork them back up, and give them to the 1972 Miami Dolphins.

Or would that be in poor taste?
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 11:46 AM   #39
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Dolphins need to take three of the next four, which is definitely doable. If they do that, they'll be 5-5 with the Pats coming to town in the biggest game of the year for the Fins.

Old 10-29-2009, 12:31 PM   #40
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post

Loved that Onion article as well. I just figure while everyone is talking about Favre and all of the hoopla it might be important to note that a Packers win moves them to within a half game of the division lead

If they lose, they are down 2.5 games, lose the tiebreaker to the Vikings and have tough road games at Chicago, Arizona, and Pittsburgh in the seasons final weeks.

I'm sure ESPN will continue to hammer the Favre angle. (and truthfully, if I'm them, I do it too. Last game had a huge number because of it)
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 01:38 PM   #41
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Had to post this from PFT.

I need to see this game.

Quote:
Joey Porter wants to hurt Mark Sanchez
Posted by Josh Alper on October 31, 2009 10:40 AM ET
If the Jets and Dolphins played each other 16 times a year, we might need to build a whole other site to handle only the verbal volleys lobbed between the teams.

The chirping between the two sides started in the offseason, ran through their first meeting in Miami and has fired up again this week as the two teams prepare to renew acquaintances at the Meadowlands.

On Friday, Mike Florio shared Jets linebacker Bart Scott's desire to make mincemeat out of Dolphins quarterback Chad Henne in a post with a very similar headline to this one. In the spirit of equal time, we now turn the microphone over to Dolphins linebacker Joey Porter.

"I'm not worried about [Mark Sanchez] eating hot dogs on the sideline. I'm worried about how I can get him on sideline, with an ice pack."

Porter's comments weren't actually made in response to Scott stating a desire to injure Henne, but in response to Jets coach Rex Ryan saying "Boo hoo hoo" when asked Dolphins cornerback Will Allen's injury. Ryan was told of Porter's reply and didn't back off when returning fire.

"I don't care about that. If he's got issues with me about one of their guys being out. . . . I don't feel sorry for them losing Will Allen," Ryan said. "Obviously I don't like it for any player to get hurt, but if they're looking for sympathy because Will Allen is out, well, we've got Kris Jenkins out and we've got Leon Washington out for the season. [Those two] guys are Pro Bowl players. No disrespect to Will Allen, but I don't think he's going to make a Pro Bowl anytime soon. He's a decent player, but whatever."

The only things that will be missing from what's increasingly sounding like a wrestling supercard on Sunday afternoon are the steel cage and Mean Gene Okerlund. Alas, barring an unlikely playoff showdown between the two sides we'll have to wait quite a while before they have a chance to resume pleasantries.
Old 10-31-2009, 01:47 PM   #42
Passacaglia
Coordinator

I like Jim Kleinsasser.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 10:09 AM   #43
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyroofoo View Post
that's gay

Well timed and executed.... this post didn't get enough love.
fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 11:15 AM   #44
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

What is more sickening? Hearing about Favre every single week or hearing the Packers fans cry about how Favre is a traitor and they cant function in life anymore because he signed with the Vikings. Are Packer fans really this pathetic?
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 11:25 AM   #45
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

the voice boxed dude calling favre a traitor will be a meme before it's over.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 11:35 AM   #46
NewIdentity
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
What is more sickening? Hearing about Favre every single week or hearing the Packers fans cry about how Favre is a traitor and they cant function in life anymore because he signed with the Vikings. Are Packer fans really this pathetic?
Farve is a cry baby that demanded he be given, no guaranteed, the starting job no matter what. So, when the Packers told Brett that he would compete with Aaron Rogers for the position he threw a fit and went some where where they would immediately get rid of their starting QB and guarantee Favre the starting position.

I hate how the media tries to blame the PAcker organization for Favre not returning to Green Bay. They never told Brett he could not come back, they welcomed him back if he was willing to compete for his starting position just like every other player on the team. It seems only right now, that Favre and Cutler are in the same conference now.
I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.
Michael Jordan

Last edited by NewIdentity : 11-01-2009 at 11:36 AM.
NewIdentity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 11:38 AM   #47
NewIdentity
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
Well, the Chiefs just suspended him, and the Patriots have a track record of taking "problem" players and making them relevant again, so....
LOL, Let me guess you took Fred Taylor in the 1st round of your fantasy draft? How is that working out for you?
I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.
Michael Jordan
NewIdentity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 11:42 AM   #48
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewIdentity View Post
Farve is a cry baby that demanded he be given, no guaranteed, the starting job no matter what. So, when the Packers told Brett that he would compete with Aaron Rogers for the position he threw a fit and went some where where they would immediately get rid of their starting QB and guarantee Favre the starting position.

I hate how the media tries to blame the PAcker organization for Favre not returning to Green Bay. They never told Brett he could not come back, they welcomed him back if he was willing to compete for his starting position just like every other player on the team. It seems only right now, that Favre and Cutler are in the same conference now.

Thats not quite how it went.

First off all they offered Favre 20 million so he wouldnt come back. Then they basically told him Aaron Rogers was starting. The Packers organization put on a public relations show to try to help with public backlash and the fans seemed to have bought into it.

He's Brett Favre and can obviously still play QB in the NFL should he have to be a backup on what at the time seemed like a rebuilding team?

Last edited by jbergey22 : 11-01-2009 at 11:50 AM.
Old 11-01-2009, 11:49 AM   #49
Oilers9911
College Benchwarmer

Yeah, and what were they to do? Wait forever for Favre to decide if he was playing or not? Favre has deserved every bit of flack he has received and more.
Oilers9911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 11:52 AM   #50
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers9911 View Post
Yeah, and what were they to do? Wait forever for Favre to decide if he was playing or not? Favre has deserved every bit of flack he has received and more.

No its not their fault. As its not Favres fault for changing his mind if some team still wanted him. Both the team and Favre have moved on now its the fans that are annoying me.

They have a top 10 QB in the league and they are still hung up on what Brett Favre does. They need to get a life.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 11-01-2009 at 11:53 AM.