Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-24-2009, 01:27 PM   #1
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Civilization Network on Facebook

Will this be insanely kick ass, or slow and repetitive like Mafia Wars (even though I still play it)? I hope it's close to what I envision.

hxxp://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=25747

Quote:
Civilization creator Sid Meier said this week that he and his 2K-owned studio, Firaxis, are working on a project dubbed "Civilization Network," a rendition of the strategy game for Facebook, due in 2010.

The announcement comes after the most recent franchise entry, Civilization Revolution, a turn-based strategy game that appeared on consoles and handhelds that streamlined the traditional PC-derived hardcore Civilization experience.

"I wanted to let you know we’ll soon be looking for beta testers to help us develop a unique new way to play Civilization," wrote Meier on the CivFanatics.com forum on Wednesday. "Ever since we finished Civilization Revolution last year, I’ve been looking at ways of expanding the Civ gameplay experience to include solo, competitive and cooperative play to take advantage of the uniqueness of social networks."

By creating a game for the social network Facebook, Meier and Firaxis are tapping into an audience that boasts 300 million accounts. It would be the first time that Firaxis enters the social gaming space, which is dominated by companies such as Zynga (Farmville), PlayFish (Pet Society), and Playdom (Sorority Life).

Like typical Facebook games, Civilization Network will be free-to-play, although Meier did not reveal any monetization methods, which may or may not include virtual item buys and advertising.

The full game is due to launch next year, preceded by a closed beta coming "soon." Firaxis has already set up a Facebook page for the game at Incompatible Browser | Facebook.

Meier, director of creative development at Firaxis, gave more details about the upcoming game: "Civilization Network will allow you to join together with your friends to create the world’s most powerful, richest, smartest, or just plain coolest civilization."

"You can coordinate your strategy to win great battles, share your technology to jump ahead of your rivals, lobby your family and friends to form your own government and win vital elections, manage and grow your cities to maximize production and happiness, spy on your enemies, and work with your friends to create the great Wonders of the World."

Last edited by Cringer : 10-24-2009 at 01:28 PM.
Cringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 09:30 PM   #2
spleen1015
Coordinator

I'd rather see an Alpha Centauri remake. Fuck the Facebook crap Sid.
Old 10-25-2009, 05:15 AM   #3
RainMaker
General Manager

Not looking forward to that. Wish he'd stick to catering to his fans and not trying to go so mainstream with watered down versions of his game.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 08:40 AM   #4
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
I'd rather see an Alpha Centauri remake. Fuck the Facebook crap Sid.

This.

I've been playing a lot of Alpha Centauri (w/ Alien Crossfire) lately, it's such a classic.

When I saw this announcement my eyes lit up at the thought of a new Civ game before the disappointment of seeing it's some facebook thing.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote