Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-17-2009, 07:23 AM   #1
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Dragon Age: Origins

So this game is coming out in November and it looks fantastic, really the best looking single-player RPG I've seen in ages. They have released the character creator which you can download and make characters with, then save them and use them when the game comes out. It's pretty fun to play with.

Lots of info about the game on this blog, including a really nice video of some of the gameplay.

Dragonchasers

Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 07:47 AM   #2
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Old 10-17-2009, 08:33 AM   #3
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I gave the character creation demo a spin the other night. It thought it was ok, but nothing special at all. It wasn't too terribly different than, say, Mount & Blade. You pick gender, race (elf, dwarf, human), class (fighter, mage, thief), and then go into the face generator. The generator is pretty similar to Mount & Blade with lots of options, most of which just make your character look like a freak if you tweak them too much. The graphics are a step above Mount & Blade for sure. You pick one of 4 or 5 voices. You didn't even get to pick skills as far as I could tell. You had 4 or 5 points to add to your stats and beyond cosmetic choices, that was pretty much it. And that's pretty much it. Also, at least in the demo, you could only choose one of a few potential backgrounds.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 08:42 AM   #4
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Yeah I agree they definitely limited the backgrounds and skills, I'm not sure why. It would have been a lot more fun to be able to play with all the possible options - but I guess I'll be able to do that in game.
Old 10-17-2009, 09:04 AM   #5
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

I looked at some of the trailers on the website linked above. The cut-scenes are very nicely done, the difference between computer animated graphics versus live acting is becoming harder to separate.

The game looks very good. My concern is if there is any DRM installed with the game, I know in the past few years this was a huge problem with many games, and EA was one of the main culprits.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 12:23 PM   #6
Celeval
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
You didn't even get to pick skills as far as I could tell. You had 4 or 5 points to add to your stats and beyond cosmetic choices, that was pretty much it. And that's pretty much it. Also, at least in the demo, you could only choose one of a few potential backgrounds.

The impression I got is that the first "area" you go through is an origin story, and the typical skill generation of character creation happens as a part of that.
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 02:20 PM   #7
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Roommate is asking for a PS3 for Christmas. I pretty much have him talked into getting this. PC requirements will be on the lower side since it's been in development for so long.
Old 10-25-2009, 10:36 AM   #8
Peregrine
Pro Starter

They have this flash game out for it - really cool, you get to make your character and really have a fun experience in a really involved (for flash) game. It also lets you unlock items which you can transfer over to the real game once you get it.

Dragon Age Journeys

Last edited by Peregrine : 10-25-2009 at 10:48 AM.
Old 10-25-2009, 11:38 AM   #9
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

I watched three or four of the demo videos they have on YouTube with one of the developers commenting on it as it goes. The game looks intense, but I think that the Baldur's Gate like combat (read: SLOOOOOOW combat) is going to turn me off of the game. It looks insanely cool though.

EDIT - I think that before I had played an MMO, this would not have bothered me nearly as much as it seems to now.

Last edited by Vince, Pt. II : 10-25-2009 at 11:39 AM.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 11:48 AM   #10
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Well I really loved the Baldur's Gate games so this looks good too. I believe though that they have two game modes, one is faster and doesn't have all the pausing, and the other is slower with pausing and is more Baldur's Gate style.
Old 10-27-2009, 12:03 AM   #11
sabotai
General Manager

Have this preordered. Just read about what (little) they said about the editors and I'm wondering if this could be used to make some really awesome machinima. You are supposed to be able to edit cinematics.

From the website:
The Dragon Age™ Toolset puts the power of the game developer in the palm of your hands. The Dragon Age Toolset will allow you to produce your own content including dungeons crawls , full-length campaigns, and even cut-scenes you can share with friends and the BioWare community.
Key Features Include
  • Create New Adventures – Forge your own environments from your imagination, or use the rich set of Dragon Age locations and artwork as starting blocks to build new, original campaigns, quests, or cut-scenes.
  • Stage Massive Battles – Test your might in battle by fully customizing the combat and creature AI, allowing you to create detailed action sequences full of heart-pounding warfare.
  • Be the Director - Create your own stories with the powerful cinematics editor that offers full control of the camera, voice and lip syncing tools, and a full character creator.
  • Content Creator's Community – Join the BioWare Social Network where you can easily find tutorials, share content, chat with other creators, and get content updates for the toolset.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 08:21 AM   #12
Calis
College Starter

Is there such a thing as awesome machinima?

Those editors do sound nice and I will be curious to see how difficult they are to use and how they generally compare to the NWN tools.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 02:50 PM   #13
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calis View Post
Is there such a thing as awesome machinima?

Red vs. Blue is quite awesome, and you are not cool if you think otherwise.
Old 10-27-2009, 10:02 PM   #14
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Dragon Age is looking good in early reviews.
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 08:33 AM   #15
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyroofoo View Post
Dragon Age looking good in preseason.

Fixed.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 07:16 PM   #16
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

A great preview. I can't wait for next week:

GameShark | Previews | Dragon Age: Origins Hands on Preview
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 08:10 AM   #17
Calis
College Starter

Went ahead and pre-ordered on Steam. I really hope they allow some sort of pre-load on it, but I don't think they ever have yet on a non-Valve game.

I was even weak and ordered the Deluxe edition. I'm not proud of it either.

Can't wait.
Old 10-31-2009, 09:51 AM   #18
spleen1015
Coordinator

Should I go PC or console? DECISIONS!
Old 10-31-2009, 10:09 AM   #19
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
Should I go PC or console? DECISIONS!

I went PC for the mod potential.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 10:18 AM   #20
Calis
College Starter

Can't say this often with games these days, but I'd definitely say PC if you can run it ok. Mods should be good stuff, and I know the PC version allows the more strategic zoomed out view to play more like Baldur's Gate rather than the close in action of the consoles that is more Knights of the Old Republic style.
Old 10-31-2009, 03:21 PM   #21
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Went ahead and pre-ordered on Steam. I really hope they allow some sort of pre-load on it, but I don't think they ever have yet on a non-Valve game.

I was even weak and ordered the Deluxe edition. I'm not proud of it either.

Can't wait.

Borderlands was pre-load-able. It had to be unlocked upon release, and all in all it took nearly an hour after release to get that done...but I was up and running less than an hour after they opened it to the public.
Old 11-01-2009, 11:00 AM   #22
Atocep
Coordinator

Preordered from direct2drive just now and I can start preloading in about an hour.

I got the deluxe edition, too....

Early reviews have been fantastic. PC Gamer UK said their first playthrough clocked in at about 80 hours and they call it the "RPG of the decade".
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 06:45 PM   #23
Calis
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
Borderlands was pre-load-able. It had to be unlocked upon release, and all in all it took nearly an hour after release to get that done...but I was up and running less than an hour after they opened it to the public.

Good to hear, thanks. I wasn't sure if they did or not.

Looks like the Steam pre-load went up this afternoon also, so I'm not pre-loaded and ready for release day. Wish I had some days off this week, I imagine Tuesday is going to be a late night.
Old 11-01-2009, 07:47 PM   #24
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

So what's in the deluxe edition? Is it worth the purchase?
Old 11-01-2009, 08:05 PM   #25
sabotai
General Manager

For those who preordered on Steam, you can preload it now.
Old 11-01-2009, 08:06 PM   #26
spleen1015
Coordinator

I'm not sure if my PC meets the minimum requirements.

If I buy this through Direct2Drive, will they let me refund if it doesn't work well?
Old 11-01-2009, 08:10 PM   #27
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyroofoo View Post
So what's in the deluxe edition? Is it worth the purchase?

This is from Steam:

Dragon Age: Origins Digital Deluxe Edition Exclusives

Bergen's Honor
When the Grey Warden Bergen knew he was at the end of his life, he descended into the the Deep Roads joined by a full company of the Legion of the Dead. They slew hordes of darkspawn, clearing tunnels that had been lost for centuries. When at last they fell, a lone dwarf brought back Bergen's helm, as well as his defiant and inspirational tale.
  • Adds +2 to armor
  • Adds a lot to physical resistance (+25)
  • Adds to attack (+6)
Final Reason
This staff was held by several senior master conjurers of the Circle Tower, passed down from old master to new. Errant students learned to fear it, for when all other forms of discipline failed, the Final Reason would produce obedience at the cost of significant pain and discomfort.
  • Adds to damage. Making it do as much as the Dragonbone staves
  • Adds considerably to spellpower
  • Adds a good chunk to fire damage
Grimoire of the Frozen Wastes
Far north of Orthland lies the Frozen Wastes. In these pages are hundreds of harrowing tales describing how the barbarians survive in their icy homeland. The authors' hope their stories will help readers in their times of need. Or at the least prove entertaining.
  • When read adds +3 to a player's attributes
Warden's Keep
Some claim the fortress of Soldier’s Peak is corrupted and overrun by demons. Others whisper of betrayal and the spirits of murdered Grey Wardens. Whatever the truth, Soldier’s Peak is no place for the living.
Relive the darkest hour of the Grey Wardens with all-new content that adds to the main Dragon Age: Origins campaign. This downloadable adventure reveals secrets hidden for generations, and includes unique achievements, unlockable character abilities, powerful items, and much more!
  • New quests - discover what really happened to the Grey Wardens of old and what led to their expulsion from Ferelden
  • New features - a base of operations with party storage. Inventory full? Stash new items as well as loot from the main Dragon Age: Origins campaign
  • New items and abilities - talents and spells from the Power of Blood school, unique achievements, and powerful items including a set of Grey Warden Commander armor
Digital Soundtrack
  • Includes a collection of tracks from the score of Dragon Age: Origins
Wallpapers
  • Includes a collection of wallpapers for your desktop background
Old 11-01-2009, 08:13 PM   #28
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
I'm not sure if my PC meets the minimum requirements.

If I buy this through Direct2Drive, will they let me refund if it doesn't work well?

I very much doubt they would.

Here are the listed requirements on Steam

System Requirements
  • Minimum:
    • OS: Windows XP (SP3) or Windows Vista (SP1) or Windows 7
    • Processor: Intel Core 2 Single 1.6 Ghz Processor (or equivalent) or AMD 64 2.0 GHz Processor (or equivalent)
    • Memory: 1GB (1.5 GB Vista and Windows 7)
    • Graphics: ATI Radeon X850 256MB or NVIDIA GeForce 6600 GT 128MB or greater (Windows Vista: Radeon X1550 256 MB or NVidia GeForce 7600GT 256MB)
    • DirectX®: DirectX (November 2007)
    • Hard Drive: 20 GB HD space
    • Sound: Direct X Compatible Sound Card
  • Recommended:
    • Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4 Ghz or AMD Phenom II X2 Dual-Core 2.7 Ghz Processor or equivalent
    • Memory: 2 GB (3GB Vista and Windows 7)
    • Graphics: ATI 3850 512 MB or NVidia 8800GTS 512MB or greater
Old 11-01-2009, 08:21 PM   #29
spleen1015
Coordinator

Well, D2D wouldn't take the credit card I used last time. I tried it 3 times and they locked me out. That sucks.
Old 11-01-2009, 08:25 PM   #30
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
I very much doubt they would.

Here are the listed requirements on Steam

System Requirements
  • Minimum:
    • Processor: Intel Core 2 Single 1.6 Ghz Processor (or equivalent) or AMD 64 2.0 GHz Processor (or equivalent)
    • Memory: 1GB (1.5 GB Vista and Windows 7)
    • Graphics: ATI Radeon X850 256MB or NVIDIA GeForce 6600 GT 128MB or greater (Windows Vista: Radeon X1550 256 MB or NVidia GeForce 7600GT 256MB)
  • Recommended:
    • Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4 Ghz or AMD Phenom II X2 Dual-Core 2.7 Ghz Processor or equivalent
    • Memory: 2 GB (3GB Vista and Windows 7)
    • Graphics: ATI 3850 512 MB or NVidia 8800GTS 512MB or greater

I know my three week old laptop actually exceeds these with 4 GB ram, and a better graphics card so I think the specs are in line with alot of the newer laptops/PCs coming out.IMHO.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 08:36 PM   #31
spleen1015
Coordinator

I meet the minimum other than XP SP3. I'm only running SP2.

Now to get this CC problem fixed...

Thanks, d00dz.

Last edited by spleen1015 : 11-01-2009 at 08:36 PM.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 08:48 PM   #32
spleen1015
Coordinator

So, here's the response I got from customer service:

I sincerely apologize that you have been inconvenienced!

In order to protect your card from unauthorized internet purchases our system required a manual review by a human being in a random security sweep. This is a precaution we take as an online, no card present merchant.

I have cleared your account and sincerely thank you for your patience! No purchase has completed from your previous attempt. Please do not change or edit your account information and return to www.direct2drive.com and purchase how you like.

Feel free to contact me with any more questions you might have.

Thank you!

I'll say this. I was pretty irritated by this whole experience. Now, I am shocked in how quickly D2D responded to my ticket. That was pretty awesome.
Old 11-01-2009, 10:52 PM   #33
Lonnie
High School Varsity

D2D seems to be really on top of the credit card security. I guess they have been bit before. I had a friend try to sign up for a new account when they were doing the $5 games, and he was rejected and locked out. It took a few hours, but finally they got back to him and told him it was because he was trying to buy from another state than his home state. He was traveling for work.
Old 11-02-2009, 08:23 AM   #34
BYU 14
Coordinator

I have been swayed, despite the large HD spce it will take. I need to update to SP 3 as I keep getting access denied when I try and load it, so I will have to tinker with my Antivirus and Firewall settings.

I still may just get the PS 3 version instead though, just curious how many people are going for the CPU version vs 360/PS3?
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 09:31 AM   #35
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
I have been swayed, despite the large HD spce it will take. I need to update to SP 3 as I keep getting access denied when I try and load it, so I will have to tinker with my Antivirus and Firewall settings.

I still may just get the PS 3 version instead though, just curious how many people are going for the CPU version vs 360/PS3?

I'm going 360. While the mods for PC should be cool, I'm getting to the point where I just want the damn thing to work/look good no matter what.
JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 10:07 AM   #36
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsIn06 View Post
I'm going 360. While the mods for PC should be cool, I'm getting to the point where I just want the damn thing to work/look good no matter what.

I agree - I have a computer that meets the requirements but I know once I stick the game in the PS3 it will work with out any issues.

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 10:36 AM   #37
Galaril
Pro Starter

I am wondering what stores have/will break the street date of 11/3 and have it on the shelf today? I have a few things to return to target and wall mart and may check to see if their copies wind up on the display early.
Old 11-02-2009, 10:53 AM   #38
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
I am wondering what stores have/will break the street date of 11/3 and have it on the shelf today? I have a few things to return to target and wall mart and may check to see if their copies wind up on the display early.

Doubt it

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 10:56 AM   #39
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:

Around here, those stores are usually about a week or two behind in getting games out (PC games anyway).
Old 11-02-2009, 10:57 AM   #40
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

I gave in and bought this off steam.
Pre-Downloading now...
Old 11-02-2009, 11:16 AM   #41
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleBrownsfan View Post
Doubt it

well at very least the damn crooks at Gamestop will have it in the morning.
Old 11-02-2009, 11:16 AM   #42
Calis
College Starter

Ultimate nerd question, did anyone read the prequel novel? I was wondering how terrible it was.

I got a Kindle for an early birthday present this weekend and saw it on the store there and almost bit the bullet.
Old 11-02-2009, 11:28 AM   #43
wahoomac
Mascot

My copy ordered from GoGamer is supposed to be out for delivery today. Only thing I did was upgrade from dirt-cheap shipping to Priority USPS delivery (~$1 more or so). I'm psyched.
Old 11-02-2009, 11:57 AM   #44
BYU 14
Coordinator

I think I will go with the PS3, Fallout 3 ran great on that with with DLC now I am not missing much. Playing without the Mods will be a bummer, but I am sure they will have somethings in store for console owners.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 12:06 PM   #45
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Ultimate nerd question, did anyone read the prequel novel? I was wondering how terrible it was.

I got a Kindle for an early birthday present this weekend and saw it on the store there and almost bit the bullet.

There are actually two novels out now and a bunch more planned. They are building a whole universe around this. I have not read the novels but have heard them favorably compared to George Martin's works.
Old 11-02-2009, 12:18 PM   #46
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
There are actually two novels out now and a bunch more planned. They are building a whole universe around this. I have not read the novels but have heard them favorably compared to George Martin's works.

Wow, that's high praise. Might have to take a look.
Old 11-02-2009, 12:57 PM   #47
Peregrine
Pro Starter

I am pre-loading also from Direct2Drive.
Old 11-02-2009, 01:13 PM   #48
Peregrine
Pro Starter

And also, if you can't wait for tomorrow - definitely check out Dragon Age Journeys. It's quite a fun game and introduces you to the way the character system works.
Old 11-02-2009, 02:09 PM   #49
spleen1015
Coordinator

IGN's UK review

hxxp://pc.ign.com/articles/104/1040976p1.html
Old 11-02-2009, 02:17 PM   #50
Celeval
Pro Starter

I've been playing DA:Journeys for about 4 hours and am nearly (I think) complete with it once as a fighter. One of the achievements is to complete as a wizard and rogue, so I may do that as well... it's enjoyable.
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote