Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-15-2009, 08:09 AM   #1
Swaggs
Coordinator

The Office

Just a reminder that it starts back up this week!

First episode is written and directed by Paul "Toby" Lieberstein, who has done a lot of the best work on the show. Looking forward to how things play out with Pam and Jim expecting.

Last edited by Swaggs : 09-23-2012 at 09:08 AM.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 08:12 AM   #2
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

I used to love the show but it started to kind of bore me last season. Had a few really funny episodes but a lot of duds mixed in. Jim isn't an interesting character anymore to me and they've pushed Michael too over the top on stuff.

Hoping this season gets a little better and they go back to what worked in the earlier seasons.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 08:43 AM   #3
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

The show peaked in season 2, was still great in season 3 and hasn't quite been as good the last two seasons. There are still some great episodes and quite a few hillarious moments.

This show and "30 Rock" are the only shows I still watch on TV. Well, until "Lost" comes back in January.

Michael has always walked the line between too over the top and just right. It really seems to depend on who is writing the character.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 10:25 AM   #4
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I used to love the show but it started to kind of bore me last season. Had a few really funny episodes but a lot of duds mixed in. Jim isn't an interesting character anymore to me and they've pushed Michael too over the top on stuff.

Hoping this season gets a little better and they go back to what worked in the earlier seasons.
+1
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 10:55 AM   #5
DeToxRox
Head Coach

I just wish they'd stop the "will they, won't they" with Pam & Jim. I hope the wedding this season ends all of that but I still have doubts.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 02:06 PM   #6
Swaggs
Coordinator

I know what you all mean, but I still look forward to this and Lost (and, that is pretty much it for non-sports television) quite a bit. I kind of like that Lost has an end date on it now -- kind of wish the Office would wind it down and finish things up in a satisfactory way, rather than dying a slow death.
Old 09-15-2009, 02:10 PM   #7
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I actually hope she has a miscarriage or something, as Pam and Jim are way too cuddly.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 02:27 PM   #8
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I actually hope she has a miscarriage or something, as Pam and Jim are way too cuddly.

I like my Jim and Pam cuddly. They sort of teased at potential issues that would divide them/come between them at times, but I've always been happy that they didn't go down that predictable "sitcom" type route. The Jim and Pam relationship has been so consistently good since the beginning anything sort of turbulence or sudden "break up" would very likely seem very forced and very out of character.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 09-15-2009, 02:30 PM   #9
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
I just wish they'd stop the "will they, won't they" with Pam & Jim. I hope the wedding this season ends all of that but I still have doubts.

Will they, won't they?! Ever since they've gotten together, I think it's quite clear its a "will they". Sure they have some arguments, but what couple doesn't?

That's one of the reasons, of course, that they've been pushed a bit more into the background as the tension isn't there with that story that much anymore. Michael-Holley is much more interesting on that front.
Old 09-15-2009, 02:30 PM   #10
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post

I like my Jim and Pam cuddly. .

Wow...um...wow...you aren't allowed to watch Hockey anymore Cindy.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 02:37 PM   #11
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
Wow...um...wow...you aren't allowed to watch Hockey anymore Cindy.

I am a multi-faceted, complex individual, bitch. Suck it, Dr. Sakless.
Old 09-15-2009, 02:38 PM   #12
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

I hope Jim and Pam move to Tacoma. Their story has been told.
Old 09-15-2009, 02:39 PM   #13
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

I like the show. I think its still hilarious. Sure, Michael and Holly (or Angela and Dwight) are far more interesting than Jim and Pam, but they've never wasted much time on the will-they/won't they aspects like other shows; they will, and that's that.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 02:40 PM   #14
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Yeah they dropped the will they wont they a long time ago. It's actually quite refreshing to see a show that doesnt try to drum up ridiculous conflicts for the romance (see: Ross-Rachel). Theyre just showing Jim and Pam as a normal couple.

And I still think the level of quality on the show is very high. There were some excellent episodes last season, especially the Michael Scott Paper Company storyline.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 02:42 PM   #15
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Michael Scott Paper Company arc was absolutely brilliant... and especially when they showed Michael's negotiating skills (he was completely right and played it perfectly).
Old 09-15-2009, 02:46 PM   #16
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I am a multi-faceted, complex individual, bitch. Suck it, Dr. Sakless.

Do you watch The Office while taking a bubble bath and drinking tea?
Old 09-15-2009, 02:51 PM   #17
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
Do you watch The Office while taking a bubble bath and drinking tea?

Sometimes.

You know what else I watch while taking a bubble bath and drinking tea (Ginger-Peppermint of course)? My old VHS tapes of the 1997 Stanley Cup Finals. All four games. Just the perfect way to relax after a long, hard day at the office...
Old 09-15-2009, 02:55 PM   #18
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Michael Scott Paper Company arc was absolutely brilliant... and especially when they showed Michael's negotiating skills (he was completely right and played it perfectly).

This has been something they've done right from the beginning. I think the first peak of it was in "The Client" when Michael, Jan, and Tim Meadows were at Chili's and the whole episode you think he's being stupid, but he's really smoothly setting him up and gets the sale at the end.

With the UK Office, they were only doing a handful of episodes, so they could milk the boss being an idiot theme easier, but with a longer running show in the USA, they have to balance the character so-mewhat and show how he actually go this job in the first place and why he doesn't get fired.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 02:55 PM   #19
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Sometimes.

You know what else I watch while taking a bubble bath and drinking tea (Ginger-Peppermint of course)? My old VHS tapes of the 1997 Stanley Cup Finals. All four games. Just the perfect way to relax after a long, hard day at the office...

I would've guessed highlights of your 0-16 season last year but that was my second choice.
Old 09-15-2009, 03:03 PM   #20
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
This has been something they've done right from the beginning. I think the first peak of it was in "The Client" when Michael, Jan, and Tim Meadows were at Chili's and the whole episode you think he's being stupid, but he's really smoothly setting him up and gets the sale at the end.

With the UK Office, they were only doing a handful of episodes, so they could milk the boss being an idiot theme easier, but with a longer running show in the USA, they have to balance the character so-mewhat and show how he actually go this job in the first place and why he doesn't get fired.

Quiet right. They've ALWAYS tried to indicate that Michael is a brilliant salesperson and even with his eccentricities, the Scranton branch is one of, if not the, best performing branch in the country. He has very, very good sales skills, but horrible management skills. The embodiment of the Peter Principle.
Old 09-15-2009, 03:42 PM   #21
samifan24
Pro Starter

I always prefer the episodes in which Michael is a normal character. BJ Novak tends to write over the top Michael but the worst episode was the one Michael Schur (who plays Cousin Mose) wrote in which Michael drove into a lake because his GPS told him to do so. I thought that episode was ridiculous and simply went too far.
Old 09-15-2009, 06:50 PM   #22
Swaggs
Coordinator

The GPS episode did stink. I'm really not a BJ Novak fan, at all. I don't see much use for the Ryan character, didn't like the arc where he became an exec, and generally don't like the episodes he writes. Ryan is better as a background-type of character -- I'm still not sure why he is in the credits, while others are not (Ed Helms?).
Old 09-15-2009, 06:53 PM   #23
JS19
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
The GPS episode did stink. I'm really not a BJ Novak fan, at all. I don't see much use for the Ryan character, didn't like the arc where he became an exec, and generally don't like the episodes he writes. Ryan is better as a background-type of character -- I'm still not sure why he is in the credits, while others are not (Ed Helms?).

I'm 99% sure he is an executive producer, that's my best guess.
JS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 07:12 PM   #24
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS19 View Post
I'm 99% sure he is an executive producer, that's my best guess.

Yes Novak is an executive producer which is probably why Ryan is still a character on the show. I don't think the character adds much to the show either.
Old 09-16-2009, 09:57 AM   #25
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Oh, come on... Michael's man crush on Ryan is hilarious!
Old 09-25-2009, 10:30 AM   #26
Swaggs
Coordinator

Pretty strong episode last night.

My main concern is, should I have a safe word?
Old 09-25-2009, 10:34 AM   #27
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

What sensations should I expect to feel? And how can I make the experience better for me and the doctor?

Last edited by Dr. Sak : 09-25-2009 at 10:35 AM.
Old 09-25-2009, 10:35 AM   #28
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I've thought both episodes this season have been great.
Old 09-25-2009, 10:39 AM   #29
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

I thought last night's episode was real good.

Jim: You screwed me!
Michael: that's what she said
Old 09-25-2009, 11:18 AM   #30
DeToxRox
Head Coach

The best part last night was Toby calling Darryl an asshole. That was hilarious.
Old 09-25-2009, 11:23 AM   #31
Logan
Head Coach

My favorite part was Dwight's turn to the camera in astonishment that no one else thought Darryl and his sister looked alike.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 11:32 AM   #32
JS19
College Prospect

"Oh c'mon, is nobody else seeing this?"

Pretty good episode, should be interesting to see how they play off this whole co-manager deal.
Old 09-25-2009, 11:40 AM   #33
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

The sad thing is that Michael is turning into my least favorite character. Although the intro with him asking Oscar about the colonoscopy was hilarious.
Old 09-25-2009, 01:00 PM   #34
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Oh I lied. My favorite part was Creed, "You think they're talkin about me?"
Old 09-25-2009, 01:21 PM   #35
Flasch186
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
The sad thing is that Michael is turning into my least favorite character. Although the intro with him asking Oscar about the colonoscopy was hilarious.

agreed...I cringe at Michael now instead of feeling sorry for him, which I used to.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 04:21 PM   #36
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Creed's like really good Tequila; in really small doses, he is absolutely amazing. Every time he's on, he steals the show.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 04:33 PM   #37
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Last night's episode was awesome.

This one dude at work reminds me so much of Darryl, but he doesn't watch the office.

Last edited by stevew : 09-25-2009 at 04:34 PM.
Old 09-25-2009, 04:55 PM   #38
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Last night's episode was awesome.

This one dude at work reminds me so much of Darryl, but he doesn't watch the office.

Pumpy reminds me of Darryl, you know, because he's colored.
Old 09-25-2009, 05:10 PM   #39
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Oh I lied. My favorite part was Creed, "You think they're talkin about me?"

Yes, the show needs more Creed and Erin.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 10:33 PM   #40
Swaggs
Coordinator

I think Creed dying his hair with the toner cartridge was one of the top handful of funny moments in the Office's history.
Old 09-25-2009, 11:04 PM   #41
JS19
College Prospect

Creed is absolutely phenomenal. One of my favorite lines from The Office is Creeds.... "The only difference between me and a homeless man is this job. I will do whatever it takes to survive…like I did when I was a homeless man".
Old 09-26-2009, 02:53 AM   #42
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Creed's bit was great last night. "You think they're talking about me?"

Although I almost fell out of my chair when Michael brought Oscar into his office to ask him for advice about the colonoscopy.

It is terrible, 'cause it is the funniest damn thing I've seen in a while, but there is NO chance I can discuss it at the actual office.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 10:49 AM   #43
Raiders Army
Coordinator

So far, okay. Not great, but it beats the crap out of a lot of other shows.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 12:39 PM   #44
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Was pretty decent. More of a set up episode. The interesting thing is that Toby's performance evaluation (while biased... he was in love with Pam at the point) was spot on regarding Jim. Also Jim should have told Michael. OF COURSE, Michael is going to think its about firing him and would have tried to sabotage Jim!
Old 09-27-2009, 02:31 PM   #45
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

While I found this week's episode pretty funny. Here is a review from a local Newspaper blogger.

Quote:
'Office' recap: Ctrl + C, Ctrl + V

Remember that episode of "The Office" where Michael felt left out of Jan's woman's seminar, so he kept lurking around the conference room, disrupting the meeting?
How about the one where Dwight scoped out Oscar's house because he thought he was faking illness?
And the one where Michael lied to David Wallace about the Golden Ticket idea and then tried to take it back? And the one where Dwight took off too fast in his car, crashed into a fence and hit his head on the dashboard?
You do? Good. Then we don't have to talk about last night's episode, because it was basically just a rehash of all that, minus the comedy.

Pretty apt review actually. Although, I thought this episode was full of laughs and you know..comedy.

Last edited by Glengoyne : 10-09-2009 at 11:07 PM.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 02:33 PM   #46
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I've thought both episodes this season have been great.

Same here. Watched this week's episode during halftime of the game today, and there were so many laugh out lines (most of which have already been quoted in here.)
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 08:51 PM   #47
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

My favorite Office line ever is when Creed said he wrote about on his blog. I fell off the sofa laughing.
Old 09-28-2009, 12:02 AM   #48
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Pumpy reminds me of Darryl, you know, because he's colored.

Nah-Someone else I work with, who doesn't watch The Office, thought he reminded him of the bouncer in Knocked Up(same actor).
Old 10-08-2009, 09:02 PM   #49
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Might be in the minority here, but that Wedding episode was fucking brilliant. I laughed out loud half a dozen times and I'm alone in my living room. Ton of subtle jokes throughout and they got every character involved in one way or another.
Old 10-08-2009, 09:17 PM   #50
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

So, the wedding thing with all the people was from the YouTube video I never bothered to watch?

Gah, TV lately is just making references to things I don't have time or frankly the inclination to watch.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote