Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-01-2009, 07:08 AM   #1
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

2009 College Football: Week 1 Discussion

Seemed like a good time to get this party started given that a couple of game conversations were already popping up. Here's the top 25 slate. Other games of interest are South Carolina/NC St. and Mizzou/Illinois (in St. Louis).........

Quote:
Thursday, September 3 2009
9:00 PM ET
Utah St.
19 Utah

10:15 PM ET (ESPN)
16 Oregon
14 Boise St.

Saturday, September 5 2009
12:00 PM ET (ESPN)
Navy
6 Ohio St.

12:00 PM ET
Akron
9 Penn St.

12:05 PM ET
N. Iowa
22 Iowa

1:00 PM ET (ESPN)
Jacksonville St.
15 Georgia Tech

3:30 PM ET
Nevada
23Notre Dame

3:30 PM ET (ABC)
13 Georgia
9 Oklahoma St.

3:30 PM ET
San Jose St.
4 USC

6:00 PM ET (ESPN)
Citadel
21 N. Carolina

7:00 PM ET
Florida Atlantic
24 Nebraska

7:00 PM ET (ESPN)
Charleston South.
1 Florida

17:00 PM ET (ESPN)
20 Brigham Young
3 Oklahoma

N. Colorado
25 Kansas

LA-Monroe
2 Texas

8:00 PM ET (ABC)
5 Alabama
7 Virginia Tech

10:00 PM ET (ESPN2)
Maryland
12 California

10:30 PM ET (ESPN)
11 LSU
Washington

Sunday, September 6 2009
3:30 PM ET (ESPN)
8 Mississippi
Memphis

Monday, September 7 2009
8:00 PM ET (ESPN)
Miami (FL)
18 Florida St.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 09-01-2009 at 07:11 AM.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 09:09 AM   #2
spleen1015
Coordinator

ROFL.
Old 09-01-2009, 09:18 AM   #3
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Another game that could turn out interesting outside the Top 25 would be Western Kentucky at Tennessee. If disaster strikes the sound of 100,000+ very angry people preparing torches & pitchforks could be seismic.
Old 09-01-2009, 09:33 AM   #4
George
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Another game that could turn out interesting outside the Top 25 would be Western Kentucky at Tennessee. If disaster strikes the sound of 100,000+ very angry people preparing torches & pitchforks could be seismic.

I plan to be among the 100,000. I'm hoping Kiffin's start on Rocky Top is anything but rocky. Just in case, though, I'll pack the torch and pitchfork and hope they aren't needed.
George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 09:39 AM   #5
wade moore
lolzcat

Driving out to William and Mary @ UVA on Saturday. W&M has a very good FCS team this year and UVA is doing a complete overhaul of their offense (switching to a spread). It could be interesting. Clearly odds are W&M loses, but it would be fantastic to beat up on those yuppies and embarass them on their home field.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 09:40 AM   #6
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
ROFL.

I always love these random posts where there's no specification as to what they're even laughing at.
Old 09-01-2009, 09:42 AM   #7
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
I always love these random posts where there's no specification as to what they're even laughing at.

It's kind of a puzzle - it's actually one of the least-humurous, most strictly information-based posts one can have.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 10:41 AM   #8
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

He probably doesn't think game between two middle/upper tier programs from the Big Ten and Big 12 are worthy of a mention because he doesn't like your political beliefs.

I have always said you are right about politics about 50%, the PS3 about 75% and sports about 99% (I think I remember some Royals talk one time that I can't agree with)

Mizzou/ILL is going to be an incredible game.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 10:56 AM   #9
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

My first game as a UW student and we get LSU.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 11:05 AM   #10
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Big test early for the Canes. They're returning alot of players and have had some strong recruiting classes. Now it's up to Randy Shannon to prove that he can coach.

But damn it is a brutal opening for the Canes - @FSU, Georgia Tech, @Virginia Tech, Oklahoma. We very well could be 0-4. I'd be ecstatic with a split.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 11:09 AM   #11
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
He probably doesn't think game between two middle/upper tier programs from the Big Ten and Big 12 are worthy of a mention because he doesn't like your political beliefs.

I have always said you are right about politics about 50%, the PS3 about 75% and sports about 99% (I think I remember some Royals talk one time that I can't agree with)

Mizzou/ILL is going to be an incredible game.

Illinois just missed the top 25 in the preseason poll and Mizzou will be in play for the North title. Both NCSU and the 'Cocks also got top 25 votes, so that would appear to be a very good matchup as well.

Per the usual in the MU/ILL game, it will be an offensive delight and a defensive nightmare for both teams. Turnovers will likely decide it.
Old 09-01-2009, 11:29 AM   #12
Logan
Head Coach

Rutgers and Cincinnati open the season Monday on ESPN in a game that could end up deciding the BE Championship.

It's a really interesting matchup on both sides of the ball. You have an explosive Cincy offense going against a very tough Rutgers D. Meanwhile, a Rutgers offense that has one of the best OLs in the country and a solid set of RBs, but a (probable) starting QB with 5 collegiate passes under his belt throwing to a very inexperienced group of WRs, all taking on a Cincy defense that loses 10 starters from a great unit last year but will be replacing them with a lot of talent.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 11:44 AM   #13
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I agree Logan. You have 4 teams that could win the Big East, Rutgers, Cincy, WVU, and Pitt. You could throw USF in there but I think they are a longer shot.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 12:05 PM   #14
MJ4H
Coordinator

I may explode before Saturday. This week is going to take forever. Driving to Little Rock Saturday morning for what will hopefully be an exhibition against Missouri State. I'm seriously sitting here almost shaking thinking about it.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 12:20 PM   #15
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

UCLA-SDSU is currently scheduled in a place that has its background a range alight with fire and an ominous hovering cloud of smoke.

No word yet on what they're going to do about the game.

No one attached to UCLA wants to postpone it, because that would mean sending in a completely untested young team into Knoxville the week after this.

It has been suggested to switch the game to San Diego, but neither school seems in a hurry to make any decisions yet (they're saying Wednesday).

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 12:45 PM   #16
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I am looking forward to this weekend. I plan to kick it off Thursday night with the Oregon/Boise State game. Word on the street is that my boss is planning on taking Friday off, so that would work very, very well...

Saturday will be huge for Rich Rod. I could easily see Michigan coming out of the gate and stumbling to Western. Even without the recent flood of distractions, there is still a ton of uncertainty about this team. The QB options are two freshmen or one former walk-on, not very good, senior. The defense, which was beyond abysmal last year, is still questionable at best. I think they could really have a tough time with Western. If they lose that game things will really begin to crumble. Rich Rod needs a concinving win to even begin to try and settle the program down. Winning is the great panacea in sports.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 09-01-2009 at 12:57 PM.
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 12:47 PM   #17
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

That Oregon/Boise game has the potential to be a great one. That's the one I will be staying up to watch on Thursday night!
Old 09-01-2009, 01:02 PM   #18
Kodos
Resident Alien

Looking forward to Indiana's season opener this Thursday night. Although if we lose to Eastern Kentucky, I will cry.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 01:06 PM   #19
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Oregon/Boise St? Sounds like an excellent excuse to watch my first football of the year, particularly with Thursday being a slow day in baseball. Giants/Phils will be on MLBN, tho...

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 01:07 PM   #20
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Looking forward to Indiana's season opener this Thursday night. Although if we lose to Eastern Kentucky, I will cry.

What do you think of IU giving up a home game next year to play PSU at Fed Ex Field in Washington DC?
Old 09-01-2009, 01:10 PM   #21
DataKing
Pro Rookie

I'm looking forward to seeing what Kansas can do this year, with the key pieces of the offense still intact (Reesing, Briscoe, and Meyer). And Stuckey is a stud at safety. Linebacker is going to be the big question mark on defense. Hopefully their non-conference schedule just serves as a 4-0 tune-up (Northern Colorado, UTEP, Duke, Southern Miss).
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 01:41 PM   #22
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I'm quite excited about our chances this year. The conference schedule is brutal and we lost All Big XII linebackers, but most everything else is still there from last year and we have a lot of upperclassmen in key positions on the field. I'd love to see us make a run at the Big XII North title since it seems like a down year for most everyone else. Nebraska is the big question mark but we get them at Lawrence. Mizzou will definitely give us fits, but I think for the first time since Magino has been there, we'll have better talent on the field than the Tigers (they lost so much to the NFL last year). K-State, who knows but they're still rebuilding. Colorado is probably on the way up but they were far down. Iowa State, too. It's our best opportunity yet to take the Big XII title but that means nothing when game time rolls around.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 01:48 PM   #23
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
My first game as a UW student and we get LSU.
Not exactly a soft landing for Sark is it?

On the plus side, can you imagine a more exciting opening game? LSU, an SEC power in our house (that hasn't happened since Alabama visited in 1978), a 7:30 PM kickoff giving plenty of time for tailgating (and adding to the mix legendary tailgaters from Baton Rouge), ESPN in the house, what will probably be a full house sellout, tons of highly-ranked recruits in the house to watch, the start of the Sark era - should be good times, at least until the game starts...
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 01:55 PM   #24
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
I'm quite excited about our chances this year. The conference schedule is brutal and we lost All Big XII linebackers, but most everything else is still there from last year and we have a lot of upperclassmen in key positions on the field. I'd love to see us make a run at the Big XII North title since it seems like a down year for most everyone else. Nebraska is the big question mark but we get them at Lawrence. Mizzou will definitely give us fits, but I think for the first time since Magino has been there, we'll have better talent on the field than the Tigers (they lost so much to the NFL last year). K-State, who knows but they're still rebuilding. Colorado is probably on the way up but they were far down. Iowa State, too. It's our best opportunity yet to take the Big XII title but that means nothing when game time rolls around.

SI

I think Colorado and Nebraska are both pretty overrated for what they are. MU and KU are still the teams to beat in the North. I'd give a nod to KU just because of the experience at QB, but I think MU has a VERY talented QB who just needs some seasoning. We'll get a good idea of his composure in the first game against Illinois. On defense, MU is weak in the secondary and KU at linebacker. Those will be key if either team wants to go any further than the North championship.
Old 09-01-2009, 01:56 PM   #25
Atocep
Coordinator

I have no clue what to expect from WVU. I don't think the loss of Pat White hurts as bad this year as most think. He played in a system that really that didn't fit what he had been taught to do for 4 years and struggled with it for most of the season while Jarrett Brown has the skills Mullen is looking for in a QB along with starting experience.

Noel Devine is Noel Devine and the receivers are the best group WVU's had in a few years. True Freshman Shawn Alston has supposedly looked good in short yardage situations (that's what killed WVU last year) and could fill a big need there. Tavon Austin is getting more hype from the fans, media, and coaches than Devine did during his first camp.

The defense was very young last season and gets Reed Williams back so it should be among the top 3 defenses in the Big East and honestly the only one I see being better would be Pittsburgh's. However, there still isn't much depth. Rich wiffed on a lot of guys in his last couple recruiting classes so the current staff has had to rely on a lot of guys from the past 2 classes more than they should have.

The big question, though, is the offensive line. The "best Offensive Line in the country" last year ended up being below average. The line this year is young, but talented. They seem set at LT, RT, and LG, but C and RG have changed a couple times during camp and there isn't much confidence for those 2 spots.

I think a good over/under number for WVU this year is 9 wins. If the line comes together they could win 10 or more, if the line struggles 8 wins or so is a possibility. The staff is setting this program up nicely for '11 and beyond, though.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 02:01 PM   #26
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Seemed like a good time to get this party started given that a couple of game conversations were already popping up. Here's the top 25 slate. Other games of interest are South Carolina/NC St. and Mizzou/Illinois (in St. Louis).........

ROFL.
Old 09-01-2009, 02:03 PM   #27
spleen1015
Coordinator

I'm just messing with you dude. It is just a joke. Honest.
Old 09-01-2009, 02:10 PM   #28
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
I'm just messing with you dude. It is just a joke. Honest.

I was just curious what you were laughing about.
Old 09-01-2009, 02:24 PM   #29
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Oregon/BSU will be quite entertaining. Too bad I am in PA now, or I would go to the game on the Smurf Turf.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 02:28 PM   #30
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Florida State vs. Miami.

I am ready although I wish this game was in October like it traditionally is but nothing like a big game to set the tone for the rest of the season.
Old 09-01-2009, 02:37 PM   #31
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noop View Post
Florida State vs. Miami.

I am ready although I wish this game was in October like it traditionally is but nothing like a big game to set the tone for the rest of the season.

Everytime I remember seeing this game on Labor Day, I think "Wow that was a sloppy game. Too bad they didn't play later in the year."
Old 09-01-2009, 02:37 PM   #32
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Florida State vs. Miami.

I can remember watching at least 2 of these games (I think it was FSU/Miami) that were played on Labor Day over, say, the last 4-5 years or so. The games were entertaining, but aboslutely horrible. Am I wrong?
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 09-01-2009, 02:38 PM   #33
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
Everytime I remember seeing this game on Labor Day, I think "Wow that was a sloppy game. Too bad they didn't play later in the year."

Yes, this is what I recall as well.
Old 09-01-2009, 02:44 PM   #34
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
I can remember watching at least 2 of these games (I think it was FSU/Miami) that were played on Labor Day over, say, the last 4-5 years or so. The games were entertaining, but aboslutely horrible. Am I wrong?

Like I said I prefer it be played at the traditional time in October oppose to Labor because those games tend to be ugly. However this season I expect something a little bit more exciting from Florida State. Randy Shannon is keeping that seat warm for another coach because that man has no idea what he is doing.

If Miami is some how successful it would be a shocker to me because I have heard from multiple people that Shannon is in over his head.

I won't predict a score but I expect Florida State to win that game and hopefully going into November undefeated.
Old 09-01-2009, 02:49 PM   #35
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Like I said I prefer it be played at the traditional time in October oppose to Labor because those games tend to be ugly.

I was just pointing out that, as an outsider to both teams, I sort of feel like the "traditional time" for this game to be played is Labor Day. In fact, a few weeks ago before I had looked at the week one schedule, I was talking with a buddy of mine about whether there was any potentially decent Week 1 games. The Miami/FSU game was the first both of us thought of as a possibility for an entertaining match-up.

Luckily, the schedule has provided us quite a bounty.
Old 09-01-2009, 02:50 PM   #36
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Miami better win because that is a Murderers Row schedule. I can see them starting 0-4 but I think 1-3 is most likely. We'll see though.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 02:53 PM   #37
Atocep
Coordinator

I believe the matchup was moved to Labor day when Miami went to the ACC because the ACC wanted to help set both teams up for BCS bids and figured the team that loses would have plenty of time to recover.

Before Miami's switch to the ACC, though, the game was played around the midway point in the season.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 03:28 PM   #38
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Wyoming gets Weber State at home a week before Texas comes to town. The first test for Juco QB transfer Robert Benjamin and new coach (and former Missouri OC) Dave Christensen.

Our defense is always pretty solid, but offense has been awful for years. Literally ages. But it's an entirely new system, so as long as they win, that's all one can ask for from those guys.

But I am curious to see Benjamin, as the Pokes have never, ever had anything resembling a running QB in recent history.
Old 09-01-2009, 04:05 PM   #39
larrymcg421
Head Coach

I think part of the reason those FSU-Miami games seemed so sloppy had more to due with the defenses being so strong than when the games were played. I mean, they played an ugly bowl game one year, won by Miami 16-10.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 04:17 PM   #40
Poli
FOFC Survivor

All I can think about right now is November 21st. The girl I'm seeing just put two tickets to the UT/Vandy game in front of me. My first game ever and she was determined to make it the best experience ever. We're in the first row along the 50 yard line behind the Tennessee bench.
Old 09-01-2009, 04:19 PM   #41
MrBug708
Head Coach

I'd much rather see UCLA face SDSU this weekend then have them cancel the game and going to Knoxville with an untested Frosh QB who hasn't been in a game in over 2 years
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 04:57 PM   #42
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

How depressed will Minnesota fans be if Paulus actually beats them on saturday?
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 07:35 PM   #43
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Rutgers and Cincinnati open the season Monday on ESPN in a game that could end up deciding the BE Championship.

It's a really interesting matchup on both sides of the ball. You have an explosive Cincy offense going against a very tough Rutgers D. Meanwhile, a Rutgers offense that has one of the best OLs in the country and a solid set of RBs, but a (probable) starting QB with 5 collegiate passes under his belt throwing to a very inexperienced group of WRs, all taking on a Cincy defense that loses 10 starters from a great unit last year but will be replacing them with a lot of talent.

Cincinnati is going to stick it to me so that I cry.
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 07:44 PM   #44
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubby View Post
How depressed will Minnesota fans be if Paulus actually beats them on saturday?

Watch. Paulus ends up being a 1st round pick in the NFL Draft next year.
Old 09-01-2009, 08:32 PM   #45
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
That Oregon/Boise game has the potential to be a great one. That's the one I will be staying up to watch on Thursday night!

I'm taking off work Friday so I can stay up late for this. Every college football fan should do the same.
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Old 09-01-2009, 09:00 PM   #46
General Mike
Pro Starter

My Big East predictions

1. Rutgers - A homer pick, but I can back it up. The defense should be very good with seniors D'Imperio, Munoz and McCourty leading the way, and Schiano will find a way to pressure the QB. Rutgers also has the best OL in the Big East, ranking 8th nationally according to Phil Steele with no other BE team in his top 33. Brooks and Martinek played well at the end of last year at RB. RU should be able to get adequate QB play out of the triumvirate of Natale, Savage and Lovelace.

2. West Virginia - Arguably the most talented team in the Big East, their defense should be pretty good with 7 starters back, and I think the offense will be good with Devine and Sanders as playmakers and I think Jarrett Brown can do a good job as a QB. I think the OL will be ok, but their are questions there. Coaching is still a question mark tho.

3. Cincinnati - I think their offense will be pretty electic this year with Pike, Gilyard and a good trio of running backs. Their OLine is worrisome. They lose to much on defense to pick them any higher than this.

4. Pittsburgh - I have QB and coaching concerns here. Heck I have concerns about the entire offense. The OL should be solid, but McCoy and Stephens-Howling are big losses at RB, they lose Kinder and Porter at WR and Stull was below average last year. Defense should be good, but McKillop is a big loss.

5. USF - They've never won more than 4 games in conference since joining the Big East, so I'm not going to pick them any higher. With the way the schedule sets up, they should start 4-1 or maybe even 5-0, but the back end of the schedule is tough with a trip to Rutgers on a cold November Thursday, hosting Miami and a December trip to Connecticut. I think their offense is a little overrated. Besides Syracuse, their next highest point total in a BE game last year was 21. Their defense is good, but even with Selvie getting double teamed every play of every game, they only had 23 team sacks, and 7 came against Syracuse and Louisville.

6. UConn - Big QB questions place them here. I would have no confidence in 2 QBs who combined for 52% completion, 2 TDs and 9 INTs last year. Their OOC is tougher than normal, so I wouldn't count my bowl game chickens.

7. Louisville - I can't get a good feel for the Cardinals. I like their receiving corps, I like their RB Anderson. I don't have a clue about their QB or their line. The Defense has been really bad the last 2 years.

8. Syracuse - No one year miracle here, and I'll leave it at that.

Awards
Offensive POY - Mardy Gilyard
Defensive POY - Ryan D'Imperio
Coach of the Year - Schiano
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Old 09-01-2009, 09:08 PM   #47
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
What do you think of IU giving up a home game next year to play PSU at Fed Ex Field in Washington DC?

I wouldn't want it to become a regular thing for either IU or any other team, but as a one-time thing, I can live with it. The athletic departmart for IU has had a lot of trouble over the past decade, so an extra $2 million will certainly be helpful. The good news is that IU will get to schedule another home game against a lesser team to still have 6 home games.
Old 09-01-2009, 10:25 PM   #48
BishopMVP
Coordinator

As a Notre Dame fan Nevada scares me as a very underrated non-BCS team. Not because we should struggle with them if we're as good as I think ND is - our OL outweighs their DL by 52 pounds and they finished 119th in pass defense last year, plus the strength of our D is the CB's - but because of what it means if we do struggle or even lose.

3 great signs from the freshman so far. Shaq Evans looks to be a 3rd gamebreaker to add to what could be the best WR group in the country, Manti Te'o of course looks ready to fulfill his promise from the opening snap even if he's not listed as an official starter yet, and Nick Tausch decisively won the kicking battle over the inconsistent incumbent. The 3rd might not seem as important, but I can trace at leat 2 losses last year directly to kicking woes, so it could be essential getting that last win and making this a successful BCS season. (Yes, haters, that's a Notre Dame BCS season - doesn't mean we're top 10, it means we win 10 games.)
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 11:11 PM   #49
tarcone
Coordinator

Iowa hosts Northern Iowa. The weekend is called Fryfest as the town and University are honoring Hayden Fry. Lots of activities, naming a street after him, Charlie Daniels band. Wish I was there.

Mizzou vs. Cheatin Illini = battle of the most overrated teams in the nation.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 01:12 AM   #50
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataKing View Post
Hopefully their non-conference schedule just serves as a 4-0 tune-up (Northern Colorado, UTEP, Duke, Southern Miss).

Screw you, asshole...

Miners open up the season Saturday hoping to exact revenge for their season-opening loss to Buffalo last year. The Miners return almost all of their potent offense and have a year of experience under their belt in the 3-3-5. Buffalo comes to El Paso with a new QB, without their all-time leading rusher (injured), and without two of their defensive starters (injury and suspension). I'm hoping for a convincing Miner victory...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote