Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-05-2003, 06:07 AM   #1
Ragone
Pro Rookie

Missouri Basketball Program Dirty?

http://espn.go.com/ncb/news/2003/0404/1533963.html

Missouri's program is dirty.. and if quin keeps ignoring the ncaa telling him to ease up on the violations.. they are gonna end up missing the tourney or losing scholarships or worse..

In fact.. i wonder if quin isn't doing all this.. recruiting obvious troublemakers(rickey clemons anyone?) to pave his way to get his way out to get to duke.. Figure on coach k retiring in 2-4 years.. and quin would be obvious #1 choice

Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2003, 08:10 AM   #2
Easy Mac

I'm pretty sure he can get to duke w/o getting fired for violations. I'm pretty sure Duke would stay away from him if he had a lot of violations.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2003, 09:26 AM   #3
Malificent
High School JV

Johnny Dawkins is being groomed for the Duke spot - that's why he's never left to go anywhere else.
Old 04-05-2003, 10:57 AM   #4
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Agreed with Easy Mac, he won't get to Duke going about it that way.

Todd
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2003, 11:14 AM   #5
rexalllsc
Banned

Mizzou!

rexalllsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2003, 01:50 PM   #6
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Sadly, prior to this Snyder's program self-reported 12 previous violations not even a month ago. Some very fishy things going on in Missouri under Quin Snyder.
the_meanstrosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2003, 09:53 PM   #7
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Actually, nothing fishy is going on at all. The program did self-report 12 minor violations, all regarding a rule that you can only call a recruit once per week. Assistant coaches made more than one call to a couple of players, in particular Ricky Clemons, after they had already committed. Why you can only call a kid who has already committed to your school once per week is beyond me.

The Conley situation is this -- his mother called Missouri coaches before Conley announced his intention to transfer because she wanted to know if he could transfer to Missouri before he burned his bridge with VMI. The coaches returned her phone calls. They had no contact with Conley until after he got his release from VMI.

To a certain degree, these are the kind of "violations" nearly every school commits. These are not "extra benefit" violations -- these are silly, minor mistakes that admittedly should not be happening. But they are being made into a mountain by the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, for a reason I don't understand. I have heard rumors that Vahe, the paper's Tigers beat writer, is bound and determined to dig up something in the program, but I don't know if it is some personally vendetta against Snyder or he's just trying to win an award. I'll have to check with my journalist sources on that side of the state to find out.

Regardless, I would hardly call Missouri "dirty."
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2003, 10:18 PM   #8
Ragone
Pro Rookie

well kc.. this is my only problem with it

According to the documents obtained by the Post-Dispatch, these were the calls to Karyne Conley's cell phone or office phone:

Dec. 26, 31: From the desk of MU coach Quin Snyder.
Dec. 31: From assistant coach Lane Odom's mobile phone.
Dec. 30, Jan. 2: From the desk of Lee Rashman, director of basketball operations

does it take that many phone calls to tell someone their kid can come to the school..(baring in mind if this is actually true)..

Of course, i live in kc as well.. and the media makes quin/roy williams out to be a saints.. so its really hard to tell what is reality about the 2 programs and what is just hyperbole..
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2003, 10:22 PM   #9
bosshogg23
College Benchwarmer

I really hope these turn out to be only minor violations. Synder is the ONLY reason I root for Missouri. He is a quality up and coming coach who certainly has ability. I hope he hasnt compromised that. It will be interesting to see what comes of all this.
bosshogg23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2003, 11:55 PM   #10
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Well, howabout this: I go to KU and while I hate to say a good word about them, I have to say that Mizzou is no dirtier than the average program but some losers in St Louis really are making a bigger deal out of this than it should be. The Post Dispatch has had two unfounded stories in the past two years that were proven to be bogus. Like those, this likely this dates back to a fued between longtime Mizzou coach Norm Stewart and the Lauries (owners of the St Louis Blues).

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2003, 04:39 AM   #11
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

kcchief,

Sorry to burst your bubble, but not all of the 12 were in regards to calling recruits. One in fact was an abuse of the university calling card by players (rumor has it that it was Ferguson). The others haven't been stated by the press though the Conley situation is proving to be very interesting since the Dispatch discovered it.

And yes, Ragone is correct. The phone calls made to Conley were prior to him asking for his release from VMI. The interesting thing is that Missouri administration at first tried to hide the phone calls by not releasing the certain logs to the Dispatch. Then they stated that the calls weren't made by MU staff which was then debunked when they were told that the calls were from the coaching staff's cell phones. Now they are finally fessing up and coming up with this new story of Mrs. Conley calling the staff. When the stories change that many times...something is rotten.

Prior to the 12 recent infractions as well as the Conley case we also had the first two infractions by Missouri when they allowed recruits' parents to fly on the personal jet at no expense...which is a no no. Those two recruits...Ricky Paulding and Arthur Johnson. The parents later had to pay their own airfare with the NCAA agreement, but these are the types of things that normally can cost a program recruits. Luckily for Missouri, they didn't THIS TIME. Though since it wasn't necessarily self-reported, they probably should have. In fact, similar to the Conley case the Dispatch uncovered that infraction as well.

Aside from the Detroit fiasco, Norm Stewart ran a very clean program at Missouri. Quin Snyder since then has kept the staff at Missouri very busy with his and his staff's slip-ups. The Tigers are paying Quin Snyder too much money to make those kind of dumb mistakes with their athletic department. If not for Kroenke, Snyder may well have been pushed out by now.
the_meanstrosity is offline   Reply With Quote