Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-05-2003, 03:34 AM   #1
SackAttack
Head Coach

When I read this...

...why is my overwhelming sentiment on the matter "Supercilious, vacciliating, self-centered assholes"?

http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/europe...ers/index.html

Unwilling to do the hard stuff, but oh-so-willing to mop up afterwards and take the credit. I don't know why that should anger me so, but it does.

SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2003, 04:13 AM   #2
mrskippy
Banned

That's not the worst of it. The Coalition expects to find proof that the French, or at least French companies, supplied the Iraqi regime in violation of UN resolutions -- possibly material for Iraq's planes and other stuff. That's when we find out why they didn't want us there to begin with.
mrskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2003, 07:31 AM   #3
Easy Mac

and what happens when they find proof that the chemical weapons, tanks, guns and other weapons were supplied by the US during the 80's?
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2003, 09:21 AM   #4
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally posted by Easy Mac
and what happens when they find proof that the chemical weapons, tanks, guns and other weapons were supplied by the US during the 80's?

Before the order to disarm? Nothing.
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2003, 10:22 AM   #5
ACStrider
High School JV

Quote:

Does this point still have to be made? My goodness. Ok, to put back in perspective. In the second world war, were we justified in sending aid to the Soviet Union prior to our involvement, or were we to sit aside and watch the German tanks roll over the plains of Russia? Opinion of the Soviet empire was very low before we became reluctant allies, but sometimes you have to make pacts with one evil to counter a greater evil. Let it go.
Old 04-05-2003, 10:30 AM   #6
Easy Mac

Skippy said France has aided Iraq with weapons and planes. They are still using the shit we aided them with. You can't have that kind of double standard.

All you people try to do here is spread your "America is never wrong, France is evil" bullshit. Read Skippy's post, then respond to mine.
Old 04-05-2003, 10:32 AM   #7
Aylmar
High School Varsity

Wait...the American army sold T-82s to the Iraqis? Do the Russians know?
Old 04-05-2003, 10:38 AM   #8
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
Skippy said France has aided Iraq with weapons and planes. They are still using the shit we aided them with. You can't have that kind of double standard.

All you people try to do here is spread your "America is never wrong, France is evil" bullshit. Read Skippy's post, then respond to mine.

I am assuming that Skippy means during sanctions...if they supplied weapondry to Iraq during U.N. sanctions, then yes, that would be a violation wouldn't it?
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2003, 10:42 AM   #9
Easy Mac

I haven't seen any evidence they've done this.
Old 04-05-2003, 10:43 AM   #10
Easy Mac

Also, heres a BBC link that I think at least lends an idea to the french perspective:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/events/crisis_in_the_gulf/decision_makers_and_diplomacy/58568.stm
Old 04-05-2003, 11:32 AM   #11
Hammer755
High School Varsity

Quote:
I haven't seen any evidence they've done this.

I read an oped piece a couple of weeks ago in the NY Times where the author had obtained evidence (a series of e-mails) that France had funneled a rocket fuel component to Iraq in 2002 from China through Syria. Chirac was asked about it on 60 Minutes and he denied it furiously, but the e-mails this guy obtained seemed very incriminating.

I apologize that I can't get the link, but it is now in the NY Times archive, which is subscription only, which I don't have.

Edit - Here is the link in case anyone has a subscription and would like to read the piece.

Last edited by Hammer755 : 04-05-2003 at 11:36 AM.
Hammer755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2003, 01:07 PM   #12
mrskippy
Banned

Quote:

We gave Iraq weapons yes, but I don't think they were chemical. And last I checked, I've not seen on American weapon in Iraqi hands. By the way here is the quote Reagan used to justify in supporting Iraq:

"An enemy of my enemy is my friend." ... that was based on an old Arabic saying.
Old 04-05-2003, 06:05 PM   #13
SackAttack
Head Coach

It's less a matter of who gave what to whom in my view. Rather, it boils down to the fact that these three nations wanted no part of removing Saddam, yet they fully expect that they should be an integral part of rebuilding the country.

I don't have any illusions - nor should anybody else - that their stance on the matter is anything remotely approaching a grand humanitarian gesture. Rather, I suspect it's largely economic. They were unwilling to make the financial sacrifice necessary for security, yet they want to reap the financial rewards inherent in having companies based in those countries receive contracts to rebuild the infrastructure. Honestly, I'd rather have seen the whole process be a global one, but it really smacks of two-facedness for these nations to expect that they can throw out the peas and string beans and only eat the ice cream, as it were.

Josh
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2003, 06:15 PM   #14
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
1. US sales of weapons were BEFORE the sanctions, therefore legal.
2. French sales of weapons were AFTER the sanctions, therefore illegal.

Got it?
Old 04-05-2003, 06:40 PM   #15
mrskippy
Banned

Exactly what I meant. The US sold weapons in the 80s, though I still haven't seen any American weapons in Iraqi hands. Most of it is Russian weaponry from 30 or 40 years ago.

France, Russia and China have sold them stuff since 1991. That is a clear violation of the trade embargo, which only allows the trade of essential material (food, medicine, and humanitarian stuff).

BTW What weaponry does Iraq have now that is American? I think most of it was used up in the Iran-Iraq war and whatever left probably wiped in Gulf War I.
Old 04-05-2003, 08:00 PM   #16
Easy Mac

Where is there proof or documentation or anything that says France has sold/given weapons to iraq. Everything I've seen said "French companies" having given around 1000 cars and rebuilt telephone towers that they owned. Nowhere have I seen weapons, except in the ultta-conservative sites.