Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: Which player is correct?
Player A is correct 16 88.89%
Player B is correct 2 11.11%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-01-2009, 04:08 PM   #1
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Do it by... what does do it by mean?

Fantasy baseball related.

Basically the rule is -

If no team expresses interest in a player traded from the American League by noon the day following the trade, that player becomes an “unrestricted” free agent.

Player A submits a claim with a message stamp of 12:00 PM. Claims they own the player now outright because no one else did it by 12:00 PM

Player B submits a message at 12:01 saying they are in on the bidding because Player A said they were interested and by means anything before 12:01 PM

So, does submitted by noon mean something needs to be done by 11:59.59 AM? or 12:00.59 PM?
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...

Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 04:12 PM   #2
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
Player B submits a message at 12:01 saying they are in on the bidding because Player A said they were interested and by means anything before 12:01 PM

Can you clarify this sentence, because no matter how I read it, I can't make sense of it, and I can't answer your question without being sure what Player B is saying.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 04:16 PM   #3
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Can you clarify this sentence, because no matter how I read it, I can't make sense of it, and I can't answer your question without being sure what Player B is saying.

In our league, we bid on AL guys coming over. You have to tell everyone if you are in on the bidding. If no one does it by Noon, that player is a free agent and it is first come, first serve. Sealed Bids start at 6 PM and and at 9 PM.

So, Player B meant that because Player A said 'pick up player' that signaled their interest on a player BY NOON because it was posted AT NOON and BY NOON means anything before 12:01 PM.

Even more confused?
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Old 08-01-2009, 04:23 PM   #4
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

sounds like a werewolf-style "is a noon deadline when the clock strikes noon, or when the minute going from 12:00-12:01 is over" ?
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 04:23 PM   #5
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

I usually take 'do it by' to mean before. Like this week I had a report that I agreed to do by the weekend. Yesterday was going to be crappy trying to get it in, until I got an email from the company expecting the report asking if I would have it in over the weekend as I said. Instead of pointing out the difference of opinion, I said no problen and took the extra time with no complaint.

In other words, the two guys in the story above need to decide this with a duel.
Old 08-01-2009, 04:24 PM   #6
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

in this case i think player b is actually right - if player A had waited until 12:01 then i would argue they had been right, but i think they jumped the gun
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 04:36 PM   #7
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Is Player A Minnesota and B Kansas City?
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 04:36 PM   #8
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
I usually take 'do it by' to mean before. Like this week I had a report that I agreed to do by the weekend. Yesterday was going to be crappy trying to get it in, until I got an email from the company expecting the report asking if I would have it in over the weekend as I said. Instead of pointing out the difference of opinion, I said no problen and took the extra time with no complaint.

In other words, the two guys in the story above need to decide this with a duel.

Ya, pretty much I should have just removed the fantasy baseball context and went with "Boss tells you to have something done by Noon or you are fired. You complete the task at 12:00.01 and the Boss fires you because you weren't done by noon, but you said you were done by noon."

Probably one of those things you can argue both ways.
Old 08-01-2009, 04:36 PM   #9
Izulde
Head Coach

Player A.

Player B's argument fails because in their own words "before 12:01 pm" and yet, their message was timestamped 12:01 pm, thus making their claim NOT before 12:01 pm.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 04:38 PM   #10
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
Player B's argument fails because in their own words "before 12:01 pm" and yet, their message was timestamped 12:01 pm, thus making their claim NOT before 12:01 pm.

As a note, they were not saying they get the player, but rather that bids were open. If someone says, I want to bid on this guy and they post the message at 7 AM, everyone else can declare too by 6:00 PM. That is what they are claiming.

Yes, we have f'd up rules in our league.
Old 08-01-2009, 05:06 PM   #11
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

This one is the correct answer if the phrasing is "by noon".
Quote:
11:59.59 AM

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 08-01-2009 at 05:07 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 06:25 PM   #12
rowech
Pro Starter

I'm not sure I understand the scenario. By noon means 11:59:59...otherwise, it's not by noon.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 06:32 PM   #13
gstelmack
Pro Starter

The problem here is the first e-mail has too non-specific a time. I would say 12:00:00 PM is "by", but 12:00:01 PM is after. Minutes have nothing to do with it, seconds (or microseconds if you will) do. If he sent that e-mail even a nanosecond after 12:00:00 PM, it's after noon, period.
Old 08-01-2009, 08:05 PM   #14
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
The problem here is the first e-mail has too non-specific a time. I would say 12:00:00 PM is "by", but 12:00:01 PM is after. Minutes have nothing to do with it, seconds (or microseconds if you will) do. If he sent that e-mail even a nanosecond after 12:00:00 PM, it's after noon, period.
Well, he clearly sent the e-mail at least a nanosecond after 12:00:00 pm or the the e-mail would have been timestamped 11:59 am. For these purposes, by noon would mean the e-mail had to be timestamped 11:59 or earlier. 12:00 or later is after the deadline.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 08:28 PM   #15
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19 View Post
Well, he clearly sent the e-mail at least a nanosecond after 12:00:00 pm or the the e-mail would have been timestamped 11:59 am. For these purposes, by noon would mean the e-mail had to be timestamped 11:59 or earlier. 12:00 or later is after the deadline.

*DING*

sounds like they're both SoL
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 08:33 PM   #16
RainMaker
General Manager

Player A would get him. By noon means everything up to 12:00:00pm.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 11:26 PM   #17
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post

I agree with this. By noon, includes Noon on the nose. (If you don't agree think of the difference between saying turn in a paper by Friday or before Friday. In the first, Friday is ok, in the second, it's too late.)

Where I sort of disagree with Greg is that if there's no time stamp for seconds, then I'd say 12:00 has to get the benefit of the doubt.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 01:40 AM   #18
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Here is the definition from dictionary .com:

6. not later than; at or before

In other words, 12:00 timestamp appears to be by because it is not later than noon, it is noon, so it can't be later.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 09:10 AM   #19
larrymcg421
Head Coach

I agree with digamma's analysis. Noon is "by noon."

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 09:27 AM   #20
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

There was a song written once that said "If you dont know me by now, you will never ever ever know me."

I'd take that pretty literally to mean if you haven't already done it by the time stated, you're not going to be able to. Its not like the baseball trade deadline.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 05:12 PM   #21
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe Sargent View Post
Here is the definition from dictionary .com:

6. not later than; at or before

In other words, 12:00 timestamp appears to be by because it is not later than noon, it is noon, so it can't be later.

I think we have a winner
fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote