Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-28-2009, 01:10 PM   #1
dxtrfn1980
n00b

Rembering Newsstands

Years ago, my city or town as the population has decreased steadily over the last 20 years, had 2 newsstands in town. During the late 80's the newsstands were located next to each other downtown. Then one of them moved to Riverside Drive. Everytime me and my mom went downtown I went to buy newspapers and books. Over the years there were a big selection of newspapers and books to choose from. In 2000, I went to the newsstand on Riverside and remembered the following out of town newspapers, New York Times, Washington Post, Washington Times, Roanoke Times, Lynchburg News and Advance, Richmond Times-Dispatch, Greensboro News and Record and on Sunday they had the Charlotte Observer, Winston-Salem Journal and once downtown had the Atlanta Journal-Constitution on Sunday at a price of 5.00, my mom did not want me to get the paper. As the years went on the out of town newspapers went away and except for the Richmond and Greensboro newspapers all left the area when the newsstands closed. One newsstand close when the owner retired and the other closed because of a fire. Everytime I go to Atlantic City I get all of the newspapers from the area and it reminds me of the stacks of out of town newspapers that appeared in my area everyday.

Last edited by dxtrfn1980 : 07-28-2009 at 01:10 PM.
dxtrfn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 01:12 PM   #2
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Is this a logic puzzle?
Old 07-28-2009, 01:29 PM   #3
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

While a bit of nostalgia does no harm I suppose, it's kind of hard to be too upset over the absence of newspapers from hundreds of miles away when the AJC is no longer available in Athens, GA less than an hour away, not on newstands, rack sales, or home delivery.

The cost of delivery considerably exceeded the revenue from delivering the papers and it made far too little difference in circulation to come close to making up the shortfall via advertising rates.

But I hear there's this newfangled thing that Gore invented called the interwebz or something like that. It certainly goes a long way toward making up for the loss.
Old 07-28-2009, 01:30 PM   #4
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I can't seem to find any newsstands no matter how many cities I go to. I can't even get a top 100 newspaper at USC to learn about the war. I even called Microsoft.
Old 07-28-2009, 01:41 PM   #5
Logan
Head Coach

Rember when intelligent thought existed?
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 01:45 PM   #6
JediKooter
Coordinator

I like nickels.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 01:51 PM   #7
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
What could a Rangers fan possibly know about intelligent thought?
Old 07-28-2009, 01:52 PM   #8
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:

I think it on a tropical island with grammer and spelling.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 01:53 PM   #9
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
What could a Rangers fan possibly know about intelligent thought?

True it's like a Devils fan knowing what scoring a goal was like.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 02:24 PM   #10
TCY Junkie
College Prospect

Did you set the news stand on fire because they were always sold out of your paper?

TCY Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 02:28 PM   #11
dxtrfn1980
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
While a bit of nostalgia does no harm I suppose, it's kind of hard to be too upset over the absence of newspapers from hundreds of miles away when the AJC is no longer available in Athens, GA less than an hour away, not on newstands, rack sales, or home delivery.

The cost of delivery considerably exceeded the revenue from delivering the papers and it made far too little difference in circulation to come close to making up the shortfall via advertising rates.

But I hear there's this newfangled thing that Gore invented called the interwebz or something like that. It certainly goes a long way toward making up for the loss.

No AJC in Athens, wow!. I read online they have cut distribution area a whole lot. They had to keep a couple of counties in North Carolina that had would had no newspapers available. I guess at one time you could get AJC in all of Georgia and all round the south. At least you can get an electronic edition at AJC website.
Old 07-28-2009, 02:39 PM   #12
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxtrfn1980 View Post
No AJC in Athens, wow!. I read online they have cut distribution area a whole lot. They had to keep a couple of counties in North Carolina that had would had no newspapers available. I guess at one time you could get AJC in all of Georgia and all round the south. At least you can get an electronic edition at AJC website.

Macon & Warner Robins were also among the areas cut off back in March, when they trimmed down to just 20 metro counties. As recently as 2007, the service area was 73 counties (and that was after a round of sharp cutbacks then).

But the numbers tell the story, the most recent cuts eliminated almost a quarter of their geographical reach, but reduced their circulation by only 2%.
Old 07-28-2009, 02:42 PM   #13
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
True it's like a Devils fan knowing what scoring a goal was like.
In Parise we trust.
Old 07-28-2009, 02:45 PM   #14
Logan
Head Coach

I'm positive that JiMGA is the first person to ever have a conversation with Pum...I mean, dxtr.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 02:46 PM   #15
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

I miss newspaper delivery kids breaking out into spontaneous dance routines.

You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 03:17 PM   #16
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
I'm positive that JiMGA is the first person to ever have a conversation with Pum...I mean, dxtr.
I am not affiliated with that clown. He attracts too many children.
Old 07-28-2009, 07:09 PM   #17
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Richmond? Roanoke? Greensboro? Why would a newsstand in Dexter, MI have all those papers from places on the East Coast? That's probably why it's not in business anymore.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 08:20 AM   #18
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Is this some sort of hidden math problem?

Question: How many newspapers would the newsstand carry if only three papers were delivered every 4th day two times per month.

Answer: None because the newsstands all went out of business.

Mwahahahahahahahahaha....
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote